• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Realtime hair physics during actual gameplay and not just during cut-scenes, now that would be fantastic.

How many times have we seen a visually good looking 'real-time' cutscene only to transition back to an okayish looking visuals and meh character animations during gameplay?

Looking at you Days Gone.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Realtime hair physics during actual gameplay and not just during cut-scenes, now that would be fantastic.

How many times have we seen a visually good looking 'real-time' cutscene only to transition back to an okayish looking visuals and meh character animations during gameplay?

Days Gone is hardly the only game guilty of this.

uncharted4chapters.jpg

uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end-madagascar-screenshot-06_1920.0.0.jpg

5273e3c8-4754-4cb8-8eg5jxb.png

9-5-2019_3-52-36_pm-xvxjdc.png

gears4-scorpio-marcus-4k-1d90d96fa55643938169ea413a85f9c1-1497290554002.png

9-5-2019_3-52-27_pm-pk6kht.png

But yes, i do hope that next gen ingame models come very close to their realtime cutscene models. it has bugged me in every game this gen. Even horizon and god of war use a different lower quality model and it just bugs me. the entire point of realtime cutscenes is to keep the gulf between character models as small as possible but it seems to get wider with every game.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Can't see Sony straying away from this formula at all, honestly, hence why I still think it will be a $399 machine. But but inflation... doesn't matter because purchasing power hasn't increased on the same pace. But but hardware they're going to pack... consoles are designed to hit a target price point, not the other way around.
The problem isn't just inflation. Yu'vegotta be more reasonable(or at least fair)

But first with inflation $400 2013 money is equivalent to $440 in 2020. So technically a $500 PS5 in 2020 cost only $60 more tan what a PS4 cost in 2013. But you are getting an SSD with twice the storage size, and at least twice the RAM. And then you also need to consider that 7nm fabrication, SSD, the type of RAM and even the type of cooling they are using all cost more than what was used in their 2013 counterparts.

So the issue is that the tech used to make a dent 2020 console just flat out cot more than $399. A 300mm2+ 7nm APU, 16GB+ of GDDR6, NVMe4 grade SSD and what will most likely be a vapor chamber cooler of some sort will cost them nothing less than $480 - $520 to pull off in 2020. So you expect them to set out to lose like $80 - $120 per console sold? The only way that happens is if they both have near identical specs and one of them opts to bite the loss and come in at $399. Te other must match that price.

uncharted4chapters.jpg

But yes, i do hope that next gen ingame models come very close to their realtime cutscene models. it has bugged me in every game this gen. Even horizon and god of war use a different lower quality model and it just bugs me. the entire point of realtime cutscenes is to keep the gulf between character models as small as possible but it seems to get wider with every game.
Yup, and they will ALWAYS be stuff like that in games. No matter how its spun, real time cut-scene models will always look better than in game models. For the same reasons that majority of devs will still make a 30fps game.
Is this going to be a real game character or just done for presentation? I'd love to see that character in some game. Impressive either way.
Don't worry... you will see that character in lots of games. As long as you are ok with the fact that the character in question here is the hair.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
So you expect them to set out to lose like $80 - $120 per console sold? The only way that happens is if they both have near identical specs and one of them opts to bite the loss and come in at $399. Te other must match that price.

I expect them to have designed a console they can sell for $399. An initial loss on each console sold is pretty much guaranteed by their financial projections and statements on the subject since. How big of a loss is anyone's guess, but I'm betting it's bigger and for longer than the PS4's.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I expect them to have designed a console they can sell for $399. An initial loss on each console sold is pretty much guaranteed by their financial projections and statements on the subject since. How big of a loss is anyone's guess, but I'm betting it's bigger and for longer than the PS4's.
A $399 console n 2020 wil be a very bad console. Especially when its possible yor competition is making a $560 console that its going to sell for $499.

I agree that there will be a loss that is taken by both, I just believe that the state of the competition today kinda demands that both companies lead with their best foot forward. NEITHER of them is going to "noticeably" give the other a power/perf advantage to the pint where that better console by default becomes the "lead" platform during reviews and comparisons.

Its better to make a $550 console knowing fully well that there is very little your rival can do to top your hardware, and sell that console for $499... or if you must (because your rival is being aggressive), sell it for $399-$450 and take a $100+ loss (but ONLY if you must) than to make a weak $399 console and be the weakest console by a noticeable margin for the rest of the gen.

Going with a weaker $399 console is even more stupid to do when you consider that the people buying your console in the first year are the consumers that are least affected by price. And those are the consumers that become your moth piece for word of mouth marketing when the price actually starts to drop.

Oh... and its just time... in case you didn't notice there is a trend of sorts. 5th and 6th gen entry price pint was $299. 7th and 8th gen it was $399 (ignoring the arcade). t only makes sense that the entry point goes up again.

Oct 25, 2017
The things that both figured they needed for next gen (SSD, RT, etc...) will force a $499 price point.

You can't get what these consoles are offering for a $399 price point unless one or both companies are willing to lose >$100.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
The things that both figured they needed for next gen (SSD, RT, etc...) will force a $499 price point.

You can't get what these consoles are offering for a $399 price point unless one or both companies are willing to lose >$100.

People soon forget the 8GB of GDDR5 megaton and calls of $599 for PS4 confirmed.

You're all under Sony's spell. I would've loved to see Cerny's face when he told Wired PS5 will be sold at a compelling price. I think something like this:

scwx9eT.png

Oct 25, 2017
People soon forget the 8GB of GDDR5 megaton and calls of $599 for PS4 confirmed.

You're all under Sony's spell. I would've loved to see Cerny's face when he told Wired PS5 will be sold at a compelling price. I think something like this:

scwx9eT.png
Oh, don't get me wrong. If they actually end up giving us pretty advanced consoles for a $399 price point, I'd be over the moon. I just don't think they are willing to lose >$100 for it.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Oh, don't get me wrong. If they actually end up giving us pretty advanced consoles for a $399 price point, I'd be over the moon. I just don't think they are willing to lose >$100 for it.

And I ain't banking on $399 either. I just believe there is much exaggeration about costs of components to Sony/MS. Not even the custom SSD is anything new/exotic tech wise unlike stuff in PS3 for example. For all we know the rumoured delay for PS5 could be to enable $399 because it just wasn't possible for 2019? Of course everything is subject to tariffs, Brexit uncertainty and possible recession etc.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
For all we know the rumoured delay for PS5 could be to enable $399 because it just wasn't possible for 2019?

This crossed my mind several times,yeah.

Zen2 won't be hot new thing in late 2020,AMD will have Zen3 next year,GDDR6 and SSD will only get cheaper etc.

Btw,if they launch $399 PS5 we shouldn't expect any price cut for a very,very long time...that strategy worked very well for PS4.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
Ill gladly pay $599 US if the tech is there to support it. That's just a hair under $800 Canadian, so 700-800 got my vote.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Due to back compatibility I really expect to see a $499 console. PS4 still has legs.

One of the most important thing for them,as Jim Ryan said few months ago, is massive adoption and fast transfer of existing PS4 owners to PS5.That will not happen with $499 price.Enthusiast market will buy $499 console but after ~6 months sales would slump with next global recession around the corner.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
This crossed my mind several times,yeah.

Zen2 won't be hot new thing in late 2020,AMD will have Zen3 next year,GDDR6 and SSD will only get cheaper etc.

Btw,if they launch $399 PS5 we shouldn't expect any price cut for a very,very long time...that strategy worked very well for PS4.

Yeah the $399 could be kept for years just like with PS4. I think when Sony talked about wanting to even out the boom/bust model from generation cross overs in their IR Day reports a stable price for a long period was a big part of it as its worked so well with PS4?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most important thing for them,as Jim Ryan said few months ago, is massive adoption and fast transfer of existing PS4 owners to PS5.That will not happen with $499 price.Enthusiast market will buy $499 console but after ~6 months sales would slump with next global recession around the corner.
this is a great point, but I am finding the (assumed)components list difficult to price at $399.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA

I honestly haven't noticed much of that this gen (referring to mostly Sony exclusives).

Stuff is impressive , don't like how fuzzy it looks sometimes .
Still best to wait and see how other devs engines going to look .
Don't forget we not really see much next gen stuff yet .

uncharted4chapters.jpg

The problem isn't just inflation. Yu'vegotta be more reasonable(or at least fair)

But first with inflation $400 2013 money is equivalent to $440 in 2020. So technically a $500 PS5 in 2020 cost only $60 more tan what a PS4 cost in 2013. But you are getting an SSD with twice the storage size, and at least twice the RAM. And then you also need to consider that 7nm fabrication, SSD, the type of RAM and even the type of cooling they are using all cost more than what was used in their 2013 counterparts.

So the issue is that the tech used to make a dent 2020 console just flat out cot more than $399. A 300mm2+ 7nm APU, 16GB+ of GDDR6, NVMe4 grade SSD and what will most likely be a vapor chamber cooler of some sort will cost them nothing less than $480 - $520 to pull off in 2020. So you expect them to set out to lose like $80 - $120 per console sold? The only way that happens is if they both have near identical specs and one of them opts to bite the loss and come in at $399. Te other must match that price.

Yup, and they will ALWAYS be stuff like that in games. No matter how its spun, real time cut-scene models will always look better than in game models. For the same reasons that majority of devs will still make a 30fps game.

Don't worry... you will see that character in lots of games. As long as you are ok with the fact that the character in question here is the hair.
What are y'all talking about? As far as Sony's exclusives go the cutscene models look just as good as the "real time" ones.

Edit: I was talking to that game dev again and... y'all gonna be surprised!

Last edited:

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
For the people are are worrying about visuals next-gen, just don't.

It's the least of our worries. Sorry if I sound like a smartass but judging from what I was talking about with that game dev he convinced me that we're going to be all set
with visuals. It's the utilization of the CPU and SSD (GPU too) that I have daunting concerns about.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
For the people are are worrying about visuals next-gen, just don't.

It's the least of our worries. Sorry if I sound like a smartass but judging from what I was talking about with that game dev he convinced me that we're going to be all set
with visuals. It's the utilization of the CPU and SSD (GPU too) that I have daunting concerns about.

I was talking about the SE demo .
It's impressive but we should wait and see what they other devs up to engine wise .
Thread has a habit of comparing next gen tech to current gen tech engine wise with games.

As for character models i know for certain they said for UC4 that drake is the same in gameplay and cutscene .
Still cutscene will alway slook better since they have more control over everything .

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom

uncharted4chapters.jpg

Yeah there's a lot of games this gen that are guilty of this, days gone was just a personal gripe of mine, you're right there's been so many games throughout this entire generation that have swapped out between high quality and low quality models between cutscenes and in game.

Is this because of current gen hardware limitations or just a way for developers to reduce development time and cost? it's a question that's been bugging me probably since the PS3 days lol.

if it's the former then i hope that with the implementation of an SSD plus a newer CPU somehow reduces the likeliness of this happening again next gen.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
I was talking about the SE demo .
It's impressive but we should wait and see what they other devs up to engine wise .
Thread has a habit of comparing next gen tech to current gen tech engine wise with games.

As for character models i know for certain they said for UC4 that drake is the same in gameplay and cutscene .
Still cutscene will alway slook better since they have more control over everything .
Ya, it also depends on the lighting in the scene and the camera angle. Other techniques such as SSS effect that as well.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's a lot of games this gen that are guilty of this, days gone was just a personal gripe of mine, you're right there's been so many games throughout this entire generation that have swapped out between high quality and low quality models between cutscenes and in game.

Is this because of current gen hardware limitations or just a way for developers to reduce development time and cost? it's a question that's been bugging me probably since the PS3 days lol.

if it's the former then i hope that with the implementation of an SSD plus a newer CPU somehow reduces the likeliness of this happening again next gen.

I know other games do it but UC4 was not one of them .
Would have to check and see if it the same for other Sony games if the info out there.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
And I ain't banking on $399 either. I just believe there is much exaggeration about costs of components to Sony/MS. Not even the custom SSD is anything new/exotic tech wise unlike stuff in PS3 for example. For all we know the rumoured delay for PS5 could be to enable $399 because it just wasn't possible for 2019? Of course everything is subject to tariffs, Brexit uncertainty and possible recession etc.
I don't think people are exaggerating prices. Lets look back at 2013. 28nm APU, 8GB of GDDR5 and 500GB HDD cost sony like $100, $88 and $23 respectively. Thats $211 before you factor in cooling and other components. So you believe a 7nm APU (even after AMD has repeatedly shown and said it costs more), 16GB+ of GDDR6, and 1TB SSD will still land at around $220? And then you now factor in things like the better cooling solution and at least a faster BR drive (even if just going from 6x to 8x, and things like these have a price floor they will not go below).

My guess is that those three primary components I listed will end up costing them at least $280... if not $300.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Is it off at all times or is it dynamically adjusted around rest of the game load at any given time (because sometimes it is very clear that it is lacking SSR but at other times, I can't figure it out)?

I ask because:

Cutscene:

2b0c811160522534.jpg

Gameplay:

3ef9851160522814.jpg

Cutscene:

fdd1721160526854.png

Gameplay:

5caf2e1160526044.jpg

53cb9f1160527544.png
You're correct, it is turned off and on depending on the engine load. Similar to how shadow resolution is also scaled according to load, where in quiet closed moments like the house, shadows are very high res, but in action packed setpieces, shadows are very low res

Hey buddy, didn't I explain to you the reason for that some time ago here in the same thread? Also you kept writing SSR while it's SSS, you seem to have forgotten.

Dictator explaiend it to you again.
One thing about "turning sub-surface scattering" off in gameplay, is that it may not always be the case.

Better Sub-Surface Scatterings need firect lights and direct shadows - high-res shadow maps. If the lighting in an area is just driven by a cubemap, or some low-res imabe based lighting, or static light maps... then the Sub-Surface Scattering may not even show at all even though it is on!

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm just going off what has been said here. Zen, Navi, etc.. aren't cheap. You have to factor in the extra year (the consoles will launch fall 2020) and the reduced prices Sony/MS get for ordering so many parts. However, the base prices are still up there.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i doubt it. its all GPU stuff, and the devs are simply using low quality models to save resources for the environment. you mostly only see the faces of characters when you turn the camera around which is very rare in a shooter like gears.

LOD isnt the only thing that gets downgraded, the lighting during cutscenes is enhanced and they fake a lot of the lighting to ensure the character's faces are properly lit regardless of the current lighting in the environment. tbh, i dont know how you can ever simulate cutscene lighting during gameplay sequences.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

uncharted4chapters.jpg

The Uncharted 4 is less flagrant than the Gears one. I remember reading that the cutscenes use LOD0 of characters and the only way to see it ingame is throughout photomode or in very close up cameras when you stop moving and move the camera the closest to your character.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
The Uncharted 4 is less flagrant than the Gears one. I rememeber reading that the cutscenes use LOD0 of characters and the only way to see it ingame is throughout photomode or in very close up cameras when you stop moving and move the camera the closest to your character.

No its not the gameplay characters in UC4 can look just as downgraded as the gears 5 ones in gameplay.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The Uncharted 4 is less flagrant than the Gears one. I rememeber reading that the cutscenes use LOD0 of characters and the only way to see it ingame is throughout photomode or in very close up cameras when you stop moving and move the camera the closest to your character.

Are you talking about UC4 everything i seem to find say the drake character model is the same as cutscenes .
It not looking as good has more do with other things like camera , lighting etc etc .

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
No its not the gameplay characters in UC4 can look just as downgraded as the gears 5 ones in gameplay.

Are you talking about UC4 everything i seem to find say the drake character model is the same as cutscenes .
It not looking as good has more do with other things like camera , lighting etc etc .

Uncharted 4 has various LOD models which are displayed according to viewing distances. In PSX 2014 gameplay they used dynamic tesselation which makes some details get improved dynamically when nearing the camera like the nose and the belt but it was too apparent and slow to notice so they dropped the dynamic tesselation method for a traditional LOD model swapping. The only way to see the LOD0 from cutscenes is in photomode or in the nearest closeup during gameplay (technically when you are still obviously, to have a chance to get the close with the camera).

Status
Not open for further replies.