• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted 4 has various LOD models which are displayed according to viewing distances. In PSX 2014 gameplay they used dynamic tesselation which makes some details get improved dynamically when nearing the camera like the nose and the belt but it was too apparent and slow to notice so they dropped the dynamic tesselation method for a traditional LOD model swapping. The only way to see the LOD0 from cutscenes is in photomode or in the nearest closeup during gameplay (technically when you are still obviously, to have a chance to get the close with the camera).

Thanks was coming up short on info .
Know they had panel about some stuff in PSX 2014 but to lazy to watch it lol.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Just saw this, you can already get 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD for $95.

1 year from now that thing will be available for what, ~$80?
Sony and MS will probably pay less then $50 for them.It seems SSD prices are going down faster then i expected.
Now that that is out of your system, let's talk about the PCIe 4.0 SSDs, where the 1TB drives start at about $230 USD.

Sony was touting cutting edge PCIe 4.0 speeds, wasn't it?

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that that is out of your system, let's talk about the PCIe 4.0 SSDs, where the 1TB drives start at about $230 USD.

Sony was touting cutting edge PCIe 4.0 speeds, wasn't it?

The price premium PCIe 4.0 drives command right now has almost nothing to do with how much they cost to make. It's entirely about segmenting the market and charging a higher margin for the newest tech.

Feb 10, 2018
Uncharted 4 has various LOD models which are displayed according to viewing distances. In PSX 2014 gameplay they used dynamic tesselation which makes some details get improved dynamically when nearing the camera like the nose and the belt but it was too apparent and slow to notice so they dropped the dynamic tesselation method for a traditional LOD model swapping. The only way to see the LOD0 from cutscenes is in photomode or in the nearest closeup during gameplay (technically when you are still obviously, to have a chance to get the close with the camera).

That won't prevent certain lighting conditions making the models look significantly worse, at certain points in gameplay you can manipulate the camera to be close up to the face and it will look terrible,almost like a last gen model.
The is first thing I do in games and UC4 character models are no better in gameplay then gears 5,infact I find gears 5 and gears 4 ones more consistent.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The price premium PCIe 4.0 drives command right now has almost nothing to do with how much they cost to make. It's entirely about segmenting the market and charging a higher margin for the newest tech.

Yep the retail PC ssd market isn't what Sony is dealing with at all, obviously.

I do think it's surprising they aren't just slapping a cheap 1tb 2.5 ssd in there though. Even with that load times are reduced to next to nothing.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
i doubt it. its all GPU stuff, and the devs are simply using low quality models to save resources for the environment. you mostly only see the faces of characters when you turn the camera around which is very rare in a shooter like gears.

LOD isnt the only thing that gets downgraded, the lighting during cutscenes is enhanced and they fake a lot of the lighting to ensure the character's faces are properly lit regardless of the current lighting in the environment. tbh, i dont know how you can ever simulate cutscene lighting during gameplay sequences.

Thanks for the clarification, i was honestly hoping that the improvements of the CPU/SSD side can somehow ease the workload of the graphics pipeline to the point where low poly models weren't required anymore during actual gameplay just to save some horsepower for other areas like the environment etc.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
That won't prevent certain lighting conditions making the models look significantly worse, at certain points in gameplay you can manipulate the camera to be close up to the face and it will look terrible,almost like a last gen model.
The is first thing I do in games and UC4 character models are no better in gameplay then gears 5,infact I find gears 5 and gears 4 ones more consistent.

In cutscenes devs jave full control of the lighting scenarios and conditions so they direct manually in a way that character models look the best without any fallacy.
During gameplay, accidents can happen and thus resulting in broken characters udner some messed up lighting conditions. This is due to the lack of dynamic lights/dynamic GI and an independent SSS mehtod that can circumvent that.
With next-gen and RT, devs don't have to worry about such possible accidents or tweaking some scenes' lighting during gameplay or even in cutscenes to make characters look fine since it will be automatic thanks to RT. This will lift a lot of work from artists just like how PBR spared them from doing different types of lightmaps for every lighting case.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In cutscenes devs jave full control of the lighting scenarios and conditions so they direct manually in a way that character models look the best without any fallacy.
During gameplay, accidents can happen and thus resulting in broken characters udner some messed up lighting conditions. This is due to the lack of dynamic lights/dynamic GI and an independent SSS mehtod that can circumvent that.
With next-gen and RT, devs don't have to worry about such possible accidents or tweaking some scenes' lighting during gameplay or even in cutscenes to make characters look fine since it will be automatic thanks to RT. This will lift a lot of work from artists just like how PBR spared them from doing different types of lightmaps for every lighting case.

Unflattering light is something that happens in the real world. There's no actual solution to that.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Unflattering light is something that happens in the real world. There's no actual solution to that.

Yeah and alising happens even in phortos or videos or movies from the real too on some screens.
There are are some real lighting cases where even the prettiest people can look like monsters in the real world or on screens.
We can't have anything perfect.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
If only there was a way for developers to not require various LOD's in a game, especially for their character models to the point where the cutscene model and the gameplay model look indistinguishable from one another, that is on of my top 5 hopes in terms of generational improvements next gen.

That SE tech demo shown earlier was fantastic but how do we know that character models will even look that detailed come next gen and not just switch it out with a lower level of detail during gameplay just to buff up other areas of the game like environment or RT?

Feb 10, 2018

Would a full ray or path traced lighting pipeline be required for this I wonder, will next gen consoles be up to this task?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

This reminds me of that DC pic with the lighting and shadow .
Where it look like the car was in the air because of the shadow and people said it look bad.
Until we get pics showing that is also what happen in real life lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I do think it's surprising they aren't just slapping a cheap 1tb 2.5 ssd in there though. Even with that load times are reduced to next to nothing.

Depending on what Sony is doing, they might end up with something that is actually even cheaper than your run-of-the-mill 1TB SSD, while giving them better performance in this very specific scenario. Buy storage modules in bulk, solder them to your main PCB during main assembly and you probably already cut a bunch of the costs associated with mass produced SSDs.

Console design is all about optimizing, compromising and cutting costs.

Feb 10, 2018
That would be amazing if next gen's RT capabilities can achieve cutscene quality lighting during gameplay, regardless of the various gameplay scenarios that could occur.

After watching a UE4 dev talk through a demo of RT in UE4 he was saying that RT is not required for some things, so maybe they could use RT for sunlight and other lights, shadows and reflections could use less demanding types.

Sunlight and areas lit indirectly seem to give the biggest downgrade of character models.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Would a full ray or path traced lighting pipeline be required for this I wonder, will next gen consoles be up to this task?

Normally yeah because this would reduce the use of any hack or approximation of ligthings that can are limited in some scenarios like being just screen space. Still for that we ened to go beyond simple ray-tracing, and go path tracing like what S-E is trying to do because this would combine many lighting and post processing techs at once. Still, we will always be not that close to relaity becasue we still need ray marching which focuses on even finer details that traces the whole path of light and not just its behaviour on the surfaces of things before entering them or when exiting them but also on the inner bounces of light partciels isnide objects which is the hardest thing to calculate. By doing this we can have the most accurate materail lighting, SSS and even do fluid lighting like particles of smoke, fire dust, water getting lit inside their own volume.
A long way to go.

Feb 10, 2018
It's really is quite preposterous that we have no hardware spec leaks by now.
This times last gen we had reliable info of the gpu tflop counts of both consoles, and now we have practically nothing.

Come on devs, please

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It's really is quite preposterous that we have no hardware spec leaks by now.
This times last gen we had reliable info of the gpu tflop counts of both consoles, and now we have practically nothing.

Come on devs, please
Tbh, I think for current-gen they were almost settled with the final specs or at least the Flop number (if you don't consider the last change of 8GB GDDR5 VRAM for PS5 and the Xbox One increasing its GPU clock by 50 Mhz as counterattack after being surprised). But now, with more than a year before release, I think they are still tampering withe final specs on which parts they gonna modify to reach the final numbers.

OP
OP
Mecha Meister

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Sorry about the poll, I see that some people are upset about the currencies I have used in it, I did ask twice in the week if people were happy with it but I didn't get much input about it, I also didn't want to add just one currency.
Perhaps I should have asked more times and threadmarked it but I didn't want to be a nuisance :(

I know that the GBP is not equal to the USD, and I was hesitant to choose this format. Perhaps I should have just followed previous console launch prices and created a poll following a format like this and going up by 100 in GBP, USD and the Euro to be a bit more diverse:

Xbox One S
UK Xbox One S pricing has been confirmed. The 2TB launch edition will cost £349/€399; the 1TB edition £299/€349; and the 500GB edition £249/€299.

PlayStation 4 Pro
PlayStation 4 Pro doesn't feature an ultra HD Blu-ray drive - seemingly a necessity in order to hit the £349/$399 price-point.

Xbox One X
Xbox One X's pricing at £449/$499 may have disappointed many users, but it's indicative of a substantial challenge facing console platform holders: the pace of technological advancement is slowing, and existing hardware components are holding their price for longer.

If most people are unhappy with it, perhaps we could ask the mods if it's okay to start a new poll with this format instead if possible?

• Less than £349/$399/€399
  • £349/$399/€399
  • £449/$499/€499
  • £549/$599/€599
  • £649/$699/€699
  • More than £749/$799/$799

I've seen prices like this from former console launches as listed above, with the initial poll I thought that a range of £/$100 would be okay.
For example:
£/$300-400 could cover the range of £349/$399 and £/$400-500 could cover the range of £449/$499
However, this is arguably flawed, and the GBP is in some hot water at moment with the whole Brexit thing going down, but I guess that's another story.

Feb 10, 2018
Tbh, I think for current-gen they were almost settled with the final specs or at least the Flop number (if you don't consider the last change of 8GB GDDR5 VRAM for PS5 and the Xbox One increasing its GPU clock by 50 Mhz as counterattack after being surprised). But now, with more than a year before release, I think they are still tampering withe final specs on which parts they gonna modify to reach the final numbers.

I think both will be very good.

I don't think either will be lacking like this gen, especially like how the xbox one was (ESram + ddr3, netbook cpus and low to mid end gpus.

Its going to be interesting how they differ considering that they will both be $499 imo and won't come with an expensive kinect like accessory.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I think both will be very good.

I don't think either will be lacking like this gen, especially like how the xbox one was (ESram + ddr3, netbook cpus and low to mid end gpus.

Its going to be interesting how they differ considering that they will both be $499 imo and won't come with an expensive kinect like accessory.

They will be both much betetr than this current-gen for sure but considering the ambitions of some devs and the insatiable demanding techs that were not possible before, devs will scream running out of power since day one, even faster than current-gen. We can never have enough you know.

Aug 26, 2019
I think that MS's first party games will target performance while Sony's will target visual quality. MS's games will be 4K/60 across the board while Sony's will be 4K/30.

Feb 10, 2018
They will be both much betetr than this current-gen for sure but considering the ambitions of some devs and the insatiable demanding techs that were not possible before, devs will scream running out of power since day one, even faster than current-gen. We can never have enough you know.

True, at least for myself personally the biggest area of improvement I want in games is npc animation + behavior and loading times.
Better graphics will be better but it's not something I'm really craving like I was last gen.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
True, at least for myself personally the biggest area of improvement I want in games is npc animation + behavior and loading times.
Better graphics will be better but it's not something I'm really craving like I was last gen.

don't worry animations is mostly not very tied to harwdare but to the techs at the time of speaking. Look at what ND can do with motion matching these days. But i can guarantee you better AI, better physics and destruction are a given, for instance the chaos engine of UE4 is now available to all.

Feb 10, 2018
don't worry animations is mostly not very tied to harwdare but to the techs at the time of speaking. Look at what ND can do with motion matching these days. But i can guarantee you better AI, better physics and destruction are a given, for instance the chaos engine of UE4 is now available to all.

I remember reading a preview of GTA4 in edge magazine falsely describing GTA4
It went something like "we shot Somone, the crowd of people realistically screamed and gasped in shock with one npc dropping there coffee, the cops approached on foot screaming at me to get down, I shot one in the leg he grabbed his legged and screamed in pain complete with a agonising facial expression, his partner dragged him to safety behind there petrol vehicle leaving a trail of blood on the road"

Well, the game didn't turn out like I imagined it, and ever since that article I've always wanted a game like this.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

I remember Ram being important for animation.
So i guess we get to a point where that not a problem any more ?

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Ask him how much RAM those PS5 devkits have
Oh crud, forgot to get back to you. I didn't ask him about devkits (I didn't want to potentially damage our communication), he thinks 16GB could be enough for generational difference. I'm not sure if we was referring to total system RAM or RAM exclusively for devs.

You won't be disappointed though. He kept on stressing how much software advances effect things too...

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
It'll get flak from a very vocal bunch on Resetera and then go on to sell 10 million copies. Business as usual.

If it becomes a trend on PS5, and a negative narrative forms that Sony games are 30fps, they'll address it like they addressed cross play.

But this is moot as Cerny already said framerate is a big goal for PS5. Plus PSVR compatibility will ensure the game is at least 60fps locked. I expect all PSVR compatible games to be 60fps locked at least.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
People soon forget the 8GB of GDDR5 megaton and calls of $599 for PS4 confirmed.

You're all under Sony's spell. I would've loved to see Cerny's face when he told Wired PS5 will be sold at a compelling price. I think something like this:

scwx9eT.png

Bless his heart. I know he's a great guy but if the news broke that he had a couple of bodies in the freezer I wouldn't even blink. He looks like a sociopathic killer in this pic. Just taking about this pic, not his character.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
Oh crud, forgot to get back to you. I didn't ask him about devkits (I didn't want to potentially damage our communication), he thinks 16GB could be enough for generational difference. I'm not sure if we was referring to total system RAM or RAM exclusively for devs.

You won't be disappointed though. He kept on stressing how much software advances effect things too...
Ahahah no problem, I was just joking there with the devkits lmao. I was actually following your thread waiting for you to ask him but I guess you ended up going private chat with him? Anyway, thanks for asking him, if he thinks 16GB is enough then we good (assuming he's referring to RAM usable by devs obviously).

Oct 25, 2017
If it becomes a trend on PS5, and a negative narrative forms that Sony games are 30fps, they'll address it like they addressed cross play.

But this is moot as Cerny already said framerate is a big goal for PS5. Plus PSVR compatibility will ensure the game is at least 60fps locked. I expect all PSVR compatible games to be 60fps locked at least.
It will be a per game basis. It depends on what the dev is aiming to do with their game.

Every game could be 60fps. That isn't what every dev wants though. It also involves resources, time, etc... All those things have obvious limits.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I think that MS's first party games will target performance while Sony's will target visual quality. MS's games will be 4K/60 across the board while Sony's will be 4K/30.
It'll go where the industry goes. If lots of similar games are 60, they'll probably go 60. Same with 30. The studios that want to stay on the cutting edge of technology pay attention to what other studios are doing and will adjust accordingly. Personally I have high hopes for 60 but raytracing adoption could easily throw a wrench into that.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly haven't noticed much of that this gen (referring to mostly Sony exclusives).

What are y'all talking about? As far as Sony's exclusives go the cutscene models look just as good as the "real time" ones.

Edit: I was talking to that game dev again and... y'all gonna be surprised!
Suprised about what :)

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Also on a side note

What if the PS5 is 10 - 15% more powerful in tflop count, but scarlett has better ray tracing performance.

Which console can claim "the most powerful"?
I think whichever one has more TF ends up being better. As you an do a lot more with more TFs than lighting based stuff. And even use the more TF for passable RT fakes... but thats al a lot of "ifs".

Personally, I don't get why anyone thinks either will have better RT hardware. They are both getting their hardware from AMD, and its not like AMD will make two totally different RT additions to their Navi architecture for laughs and giggles. I suspect RTH in Navi (or RDNA 1.5/2.0) will b tied to the WGP. So each WGP will have an RT core. This will mean that RT performance will be tied to clock speed and the number of WGPs in each APU. So whoever has more WGPs, or runs at a higher clock or both... has better RT.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Suprised about what :)
As far as visuals though you won't be disappointed at all. A lot of those tech demos that are out now (like the photogrammetry ones) could just be the baseline according to him. Other things such as the CPU and SSD will be crazy as well (if devs utilize it properly)...

It's just that so many are doubtful, including me, so I think in all different aspects we'll be surprised.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
As far as visuals though you won't be disappointed at all. A lot of those tech demos that are out now (like the photogrammetry ones) could just be the baseline according to him. Other things such as the CPU and SSD will be crazy as well (if devs utilize it properly)...

It's just that so many are doubtful, including me, so I think in all different aspects we'll be surprised.

Truth is i won't be surprised since i expect games to look crazy good in many ways next gen .
Look at what we get this gen and next gen is going to be a good jump not only in GPU but everything else but ram .

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Truth is i won't be surprised since i expect games to look crazy good in many ways next gen .
Look at what we get this gen and next gen is going to be a good jump not only in GPU but everything else but ram .
Yep. It's insane to think that everything we got this gen with a ~2x increase in CPU power and a very tiny increase in HDD speed. Next gen is like the opposite - a massive increase in CPU and SSD, with a large leap in GPU as well!

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My personal ask is framerate, lighting, more detailed and atmospheric worlds.
with how taxing ray tracing is on the gpu, i would say 30 fps is the max we can expect even at 12-14 tflops. either that, or cutbacks will be made to make games run at 60 fps. similar to how battlefield, cod, titanfall and other 60 fps shooters cut corners to hit that 60 fps this gen.

but yes, lighting, atmospheric worlds AND massive destruction combined with realistic npc behavior is what i want out of next gen. i want every npc to have a daily routine. i want to be able to stalk them back to their house. when spiderman swings over their heads i want them to look up and take seflies. i want random events to happen organically. everyone makes fun of the pizza scene in spiderman 2 but its a great example of spiderman getting distracted saving kids and solving petty crime while trying to do a story mission.

same goes for destruction. i want destruction to play a big part in the game's narrative. if you are a shitty spiderman and you end up wrecking half of manhattan trying to defeat a boss then i want that to play out in how the civilians treat you and how the media portrays you. infamous kinda did this last gen, but they can do it a lot more organically next gen with all the cpu power at their disposal.

p.s if gran turismo 7 doesnt have destruction, im not buying it. there is simply no excuse after all these years to not have a great destruction system in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.