• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
So how do we think RT cores in a console will fare against Nvidia cards?
I expect it'll be a fairly different implementation. nVidi's RTX has elements that are not accessible to devs and therefore needs to be the same for every game. I expect the consoles will allow for a greater degree of control and customization but probably won't accelerate the process as much.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
None of us know for sure the specific implementation of ray tracing in Xbox Scarlett or PS5, but Xbox has definitely been more bold in discussing the capability with a "hardware accelerated ray tracing" reference in the E3 Scarlett reveal video and now a first party developer from the Coalitions saying that "dedicated RT cores will be huge". Just because they both have some level of hardware support for ray tracing doesn't mean that they are equivalent in how much is actually "dedicated" to this capability in the silicon/die space or in the full architectural pipeline/workflow approach to ray tracing.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am guessing RT and the texture packs from the PC version, as well as higher setting all around. Game already looks bonkers.

Yeah, watching the DF PC video it looks like The Coalition future proofed Gears 5 for when Scarlett drops.

Considering what it looks like on the X I can only imagine how incredible it'll look on Scarlett!

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, watching the DF PC video it looks like The Coalition future proofed Gears 5 for when Scarlett drops.

Considering what it looks like on the X I can only imagine how incredible it'll look on Scarlett!

Yeah, the game is crazy how good it looks at 4K AND 60 FPS. I fully expect a Scarlett version that gets up there with that best in class PC graphics level.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Some interesting thoughts from Digital Foundry on the Gears 5 PC version and Scarlett - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-gears-5-pc-analysis-a-taste-of-next-gen-today

In terms of hints about a prospective Scarlett upgrade for the game when the new system launches, nothing is set in stone - of course - but what we can see is how The Coalition would scale an existing project onto far more capable hardware. Increased VRAM allocation opens the door to higher definition visuals, while the leap in CPU power could comfortably allow for 120fps frame-rates in the multiplayer modes and higher detail levels in the single-player campaign.

Meanwhile, The Coalition would be free to run the gamut in terms of scalability with its other graphics presets in order to push visual fidelity still further in order to push the much more capable GPU to maximum utilisation. And beyond what we've seen here, there may yet be further surprises - after all, solid-state storage is set to be a key piece of technology baked into the next-gen console designs.

Is such an upgrade likely to happen? Could we see an improved Gears 5 experience on Scarlett? We'd put good money on it, bearing in mind that we've already seen a good example of The Coalition migrating select PC upgrades across to new console hardware in the form of the beautiful Gears of War 4 Xbox One X patch. And on a more global scale, Microsoft's strategy of updating existing games clearly paid off with the X, to the point where we wonder if Sony will follow suit with PlayStation 5.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some interesting thoughts from Digital Foundry on the Gears 5 PC version and Scarlett - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-gears-5-pc-analysis-a-taste-of-next-gen-today

I'll be extremely interested to see how both consoles handle these late-gen games. It's seeming like a safe bet that Gears 5 and forward should see Scarlett patches to improve the game and keep it relevant.

With Sony, I'm not quite sure how they'd handle Death Stranding, TLOU Part II, and GoT. As a consumer, I'd love to just have free upgrades for those titles as well. Especially when PS5 is already confirmed to have backwards compatibility.

I just hope that neither console-maker decides to charge for said enhancements.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait until the blowout post-TLOU2 media presentation. It'll be a taste of next-gen, on the current-gen.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
The dev later recanted and said he was assuming, and that he was not a source. Matt , however, has confirmed RT HW for both.
The dev was honestly just covering his tracks at that point due to NDA. Since the tweet was already recorded and spread, there was no point just deleting it, but addressed it in a follow-up.

First party devs would have had the first devkits long ago.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Would be an interesting scenario to see where one had a machine with RT cores and the other didn't but had overall more beefy GPU.

Not happening but it prolly would provide some additional headaches to devs.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The dev later recanted and said he was assuming, and that he was not a source. Matt , however, has confirmed RT HW for both.
originally i believed that it was just a mistake from the ND developer, but seeing how far sony have went on a developer that just mentioned they have kits, maybe sony made them backtrack from that statement.

Is that tweet still up or did they take it down?

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017
originally i believed that it was just a mistake from the ND developer, but seeing how far sony have went on a developer that just mentioned they have kits, maybe sony made them backtrack from that statement.

Is that tweet still up or did they take it down?

The dev got a little too enthusiastic...

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I expect it'll be a fairly different implementation. nVidi's RTX has elements that are not accessible to devs and therefore needs to be the same for every game.

Yeah, talked to a dev friend and he said that RTX API isn't super flexible and/or transparent. Apparently they were trying to do use it on a voxelized pipeline and had to get quite a bit... hacky, with it. Not optimal.

Hopefully whatever AMD is doing with their implementation is more open and flexible, as hardware stuff generally benefits from it. Cerny highlighting audio uses for their RT stuff gives me hope.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I decided to go with a gaming PC for next-gen instead of trading in my PS4 Pro and XB1X. Hopefully my specs will be able to keep up with whatever is coming, and I can pickup cross-gen exclusives for the next year or so.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The dev was honestly just covering his tracks at that point due to NDA. Since the tweet was already recorded and spread, there was no point just deleting it, but addressed it in a follow-up.

First party devs would have had the first devkits long ago.
I agree that this is likely, but it should at least be caveated when mentioned.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Heads up:
The Gamestop article with the "dedicated RT cores" quote is probably subject to change. Presumably it will change into "dedicated RT hardware" ...

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing with RT, lots of things are RT in some shape or form. This case is likely DFS, that Fortnite has been using for a while.

Yes. And next gen having dedicated HW can be as simple as accelerating what current engines already do - allowing them to be expanded in next gen engines. Doesn't necessarily mean 2080 style big chunks of RT translators on the die

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
"Polaris vs Tahiti sees a 28 per cent increase in compute power, despite identical levels of rated compute and memory bandwidth. Navi vs Polaris sees another leap of the same magnitude." very close to my 1.25x result perf/per tflop rx5700xt vs rx580 that I calculated using techpowerup 4k avarage performance

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
"Polaris vs Tahiti sees a 28 per cent increase in compute power, despite identical levels of rated compute and memory bandwidth. Navi vs Polaris sees another leap of the same magnitude." very close to my 1.25x result perf/per tflop rx5700xt vs rx580 that I calculated using techpowerup 4k avarage performance

Money shot:

As for where this leaves the next generation consoles, it's all good news. On the face of it, the results may suggest that a six teraflop GPU like Xbox One X's would translate to an 'equivalent' 8.1 to 9.5TF GPU with a Navi-based successor. It's an overly simplistic calculation to make when there is so much more to the make-up of a GPU than its compute power alone - and the uptick we've measured here may actually be significantly higher depending on the workload. However, it would certainly go a long way towards explaining why Microsoft is considering the Project Scarlett box codenamed Lockhart rated at 'just' 4TF of GPU compute - and we may yet see this machine hit the market: Microsoft's PR focus is all on the higher-spec Anaconda box but I've yet to get any firm confirmation that Lockhart has been cancelled.

As things stand, a 40 to 60 per cent architectural improvement in performance is impressive, especially when further amplified by the inevitable increase in GPU frequency and the big increase in memory bandwidth. And this is just talking about hardware specs, when much of the magic comes from game developers. It's difficult to imagine that the likes of Uncharted 4, God of War and Horizon are essentially running on a customised Radeon HD 7850, while Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 are delivering a phenomenal return from what is basically an underclocked R7 360. And with that in mind, no matter what the configuration is that the next-gen consoles end up with, Navi-based silicon should be phenomenal.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
there are people here who will try to downplay a 14 tflops console. just watch.

we are already seeing seeds being planted. fewer dedicated RT cores, RDNA vs RDNA2. it will happen.
It's kind of hard to downplay numbers that nobody knows.. To your point, if hypothetically the consoles are similar to each other in TF and 1 edges out the other in TF, it could be true that the lower flop machine could produce better results in reality if it had more advanced hardware features. We just won't know till we know both these machines and see what devs do with them. It is certainly possible though.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
None of us know for sure the specific implementation of ray tracing in Xbox Scarlett or PS5, but Xbox has definitely been more bold in discussing the capability with a "hardware accelerated ray tracing" reference in the E3 Scarlett reveal video and now a first party developer from the Coalitions saying that "dedicated RT cores will be huge". Just because they both have some level of hardware support for ray tracing doesn't mean that they are equivalent in how much is actually "dedicated" to this capability in the silicon/die space or in the full architectural pipeline/workflow approach to ray tracing.
So we don't know how RT in next gen consoles will be but scarlet will be better?

Because I am pretty sure that because someone talks about something more doesn't mean their approach is better or even different. You just took one possibility of three and ran with it.

What I do know is that both MS and Sony are getting their silicon from the same source. I believe that AMDs implementation of RT in their RDNA architecture will be as integral as they have SEs and WGPs...etc. So basically, its either going to be on an SE level or a WGP level. If its the former then both consoles will have identical RT capability barring clock differences, if its the latter than whoever has More WGPs and/or higher clocks will have a proportionally better RT capability.

I say "capability" cause having the hardware doesn't necessarily mean it will be managed and implemented the same way across platforms... and neither you or I can possibly know whose implementation will be better. And unless MS knows exactly what and how sony is gonna do theirs? All their confident talk means absolutely nothing.

It like people that seem to think sonys SSD implementation will be better simply because sony has talked about it more.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
20~35% uplift in IPC from polaris to Navi, below the 39% performance increase that we were using, but seems like most of the tests were done while the memory bandwidth was downclocked.
seems like using stock memory clock lends ~10% performance improvement compared to the downclocked, so i think this is why the IPC seems lower.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
So we don't know how RT in next gen consoles will be but scarlet will be better?

Because I am pretty sure that because someone talks about something more doesn't mean their approach is better or even different. You just took one possibility of three and ran with it.

What I do know is that both MS and Sony are getting their silicon from the same source. I believe that AMDs implementation of RT in their RDNA architecture will be as integral as they have SEs and WGPs...etc. So basically, its either going to be on an SE level or a WGP level. If its the former then both consoles will have identical RT capability barring clock differences, if its the latter than whoever has More WGPs and/or higher clocks will have a proportionally better RT capability.

I say "capability" cause having the hardware doesn't necessarily mean it will be managed and implemented the same way across platforms... and neither you or I can possibly know whose implementation will be better. And unless MS knows exactly what and how sony is gonna do theirs? All their confident talk means absolutely nothing.

It like people that seem to think sonys SSD implementation will be better simply because sony has talked about it more.

My post did not state in any way that Scarlett would be better with ray tracing, simply pointed out the current facts. We will all find out later about all of this in detail.

Straffaren666

Mar 13, 2018
Yeah I get that but didn't a reputable source on here "confirm" it basically?

If there is exciting new features on upcoming AMD cards I truly doubt Sony or MS would get them exclusively. AMD obviously has their RT hardware coming.

Cerny has officially confimed the PS5 to support raytracing. It's obvious he was talking about hardware raytracing and any other interpretation is only an intentional attempt to misunderstand.

Agreed, RT is an important technology for AMD. Both MS and Sony will most likely use AMD's implementation as it would be the most cost efficient solution for them. I believe it would be possible for Sony or MS to exclusively license AMD's RT implementation in the console space, but it would most likely cost them far more than what either of them are prepared to pay.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
20~35% uplift in IPC from polaris to Navi, below the 39% performance increase that we were using, but seems like most of the tests were done while the memory bandwidth was downclocked.
seems like using stock memory clock lends ~10% performance improvement compared to the downclocked, so i think this is why the IPC seems lower.
Memory bandwidth was the same as polaris and they use 1080p so bandwidth was not limiting. It's just real petf/tflop gain that I correctly calculated just from techpowerup results ;d Btw performance gain vs tahiti (ps4/xone) is very impressive.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It's of academic interest, but you have to compare with the correct memory bandwidth. The cache structure is predicated on expecting certain BW from DDR memory.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Memory bandwidth was the same as polaris and they use 1080p so bandwidth was enough, it's just real ipc gain that I correctly calucalted just from techpowerup results ;d
yea but in the last page of the article they also compare to a stock memory bandwidth in crysis 3 and it gives a 10% performance increae, considering consoles will also get a bandwidth increase, i think we should consider that as an "IPC increase" for the purposes of a next gen thread (even though i agree that its not an actual architecural improvement, but we will see the same performance improvement as we wont be using the same memory bandwidths as current gen)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
if we average the 1.2~1.35x performance increase we get 1.27x performance increase on same clock speed, CU and bandwidth, factoring in the 10% performance increase from the bandwidth, and we get 1.4x increase, in line with the article colbert gave us when Navi launched.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
PlayStation 5 has hardware Ray Tracing (edit) hardware as well.

The only Next-gen hardware that doesn't have built in RT(yet) is Stadia

Last edited:

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Cerny has officially confimed the PS5 to support raytracing. It's obvious he was talking about hardware raytracing and any other interpretation is only an intentional attempt to misunderstand.

1. It is logical and reasonable to expect that both PS5 and Xbox Scarlett have hardware support for ray tracing.
  2. It is not unreasonable to think that one of the console implementations may dedicate more hardware/die space and/or overall architectural design efficiency to support ray tracing.
They could both end up exactly the same with ray tracing, Scarlett more powerful ray tracing support or PS5 more powerful ray tracing support. But the statements above about such support are not mutually exclusive folks.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
PlayStation 5 has hardware Ray Tracing
who could have known that when cerny was discussing the next generation console for the first time and mentioned ray tracing, that he didnt just mean a software solution that any GPU can do and rather actually hardware, you know, that he is working on?/s

thanks for reconfirming this ;p

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
who could have known that when cerny was discussing the next generation console for the first time and mentioned ray tracing, that he didnt just mean a software solution that any GPU can do and rather actually hardware, you know, that he is working on?/s

thanks for reconfirming this ;p

Indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.