• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
This may be a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. To be honest, much of this thread goes way over my head. I still read it religiously, though.

I'm about to upgrade my 2011 iMac. According to benchmarks, the 2019 iMac is about 2.5 times faster than my current computer. After eight years, I ascribed the relatively modest increase to Moore's Law. So how is it that the power of consoles has increased far more in less time?

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This may be a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. To be honest, much of this thread goes way over my head. I still read it religiously, though.

I'm about to upgrade my 2011 iMac. According to benchmarks, the 2019 iMac is about 2.5 times faster than my current computer. After eight years, I ascribed the relatively modest increase to Moore's Law. So how is it that the power of consoles has increased far more in less time?
It all depends on what you measure, as the tool, the method and the environment used. A benchmark can end to only measure itself if didn't correctly written or used. Some software will drastically take advantage of new CPU instructions, others from memory bandwidth or GPU. So the progress won't be linear if you chose on or other benchmark to illustrate it. Tflop used im this thread are based on very general approach of computing power, based on raw calculations. When computers manufacturers wants to illustrate a progressions, they tend to use thing more practical like video encoding, files exportations, database rebuilding or code compilation.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
It all depends on what you measure, as the tool, the method and the environment used. A benchmark can end to only measure itself if didn't correctly written or used. Some software will drastically take advantage of new CPU instructions, others from memory bandwidth or GPU. So the progress won't be linear if you chose on or other benchmark to illustrate it. Tflop used im this thread are based on very general approach of computing power, based on raw calculations. When computers manufacturers wants to illustrate a progressions, they tend to use thing more practical like video encoding, files exportations etc.
Thanks for the great answer! I used Geekbench as a reference.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very interested to see if Microsoft shoot for 60fps across the board on Scarlett. It sure sounds like they will going by what they achieved this gen with the likes of Gears, Forza and Halo as well as what Phil Spencer has been saying about next-gen since 2018.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys another dev yesterday talked about both next gen consoles and he proceeded again to rave about ps5 SSD solution and how much effect it has on game design on top of the load times.

I feel it's safe to assume ps5 has a superior SSD solution between the two.

Thought ?

*If you want the article let me know and I can post it .

doyneamite

Oct 26, 2018
I'm very interested to see if Microsoft shoot for 60fps across the board on Scarlett. It sure sounds like they will going by what they achieved this gen with the likes of Gears, Forza and Halo as well as what Phil Spencer has been saying about next-gen since 2018.

They're definitely transitioning all their first party games to 60fps, that's for sure.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Guys another dev yesterday talked about both next gen consoles and he proceeded again to rave about ps5 SSD solution and how much effect it has on game design on top of the load times.

Thought ?

It could also be that the PS5 is their lead platform so he chose to use that to make his point.

At the end of the day, that developer is limited by the lowest common denominator anyway so in terms of game design it wouldn't even matter if PS5 has a faster SSD solution.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017

Thought ?

This is like saying it's safe to assume Xbox has superior RT between the two. Without actual specs, making such an assumption is pointless.

And of course a source would be good. If a dev source is anonymous, then at least the journalistic source has to be credible. If neither is mentioned then what's the use discussing this?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

That's something I think next-gen is probably going to facilitate: greater power, more storage, always connected online, insanely short load times, so we'll see about that.

I dont think PS5 will be always online because just a few months ago shawn layden said that they have a lot of consumers in weaker countries without a reliable internet connection. So maybe this is talking about scarlett?

What i do find interesting in their quote is more storage, maybe we will see over 1TB like i predicted?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is like saying it's safe to assume Xbox has superior RT between the two. Without actual specs, making such an assumption is pointless.

And of course a source would be good. If a dev source is anonymous, then at least the journalistic source has to be credible. If neither is mentioned then what's the use discussing this?
His name is tim Ash from boxfrog games
""Lost Wing has a lot of respawning (well, when I play it does…), and hence reloading," said, Ash. "Thankfully we're very prompt on load times after the initial load, but the advent of having high performance SSDs on PS5 is a bigger deal for general performance and immersion than I think a lot of people realise.""

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Right, it has no special enhancements. But it plays at higher resolution by default (resolutions for S and X I quoted in my original post). I know this from playing that game specifically.

Edit: Sorry I read that as KOTOR 1, not 2. Are you saying KOTOR 2 displays at 640x480 on both S and X?

I need to rectify an error. Looking at BC collection for OG Xbox games on S and X, it looks like ALL of them inherently are made playable at higher resolution (9x for X). So you were correct.

Unfortunately, this does not apply to all BC 360 titles on S and X.

Last edited:

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
His name is tim Ash from boxfrog games
""Lost Wing has a lot of respawning (well, when I play it does…), and hence reloading," said, Ash. "Thankfully we're very prompt on load times after the initial load, but the advent of having high performance SSDs on PS5 is a bigger deal for general performance and immersion than I think a lot of people realise.""
That article was posted here before already, a couple of pages back I think.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

The hell of logic is that? Sony worked for this patent for years. That's a bit expectable their loading solutions should be better in some way. No one said MS will sleep on it but doesn't seems they are worked on it many years like did sony. Not sure what should indicate RT would be better in the MS front.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

I dont think PS5 will be always online because just a few months ago shawn layden said that they have a lot of consumers in weaker countries without a reliable internet connection. So maybe this is talking about scarlett?

What i do find interesting in their quote is more storage, maybe we will see over 1TB like i predicted?
I can't imagine Sony or Microsoft being this dumb. What if you want to take your console with you on a trip, on your mobile home, RV or whatever.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think we shouldn't jump to be obtuse about the 'always online' thing.

My PS4, my iPhone is 'always online'. My PS4 can network-wake and do things and go back to sleep. But I can disconnect it and use it offline if I want.

'Always online' does not mean mandatory online connectivity in the original XB1 sense. It means - I'm sure - in the sense of any modern device with network connectivity.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I think we shouldn't jump to be obtuse about the 'always online' thing.

My PS4, my iPhone is 'always online'. My PS4 can network-wake and do things and go back to sleep. But I can disconnect it and use it offline if I want.

'Always online' does not mean mandatory online connectivity in the original XB1 sense. It means - I'm sure - in the sense of any modern device with network connectivity.

It's too late Gofreak, I've already started the #PS5NoDRM twitter campaign.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I never had an issue with always-online as long you were able to play your games offline for a period of time if for instance the service is not available. Most games today expect an online connection anyway.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Heads up:
The Gamestop article with the "dedicated RT cores" quote is probably subject to change. Presumably it will change into "dedicated RT hardware" ...
As predicted yesterday, the gamespot article with the interview with Colin Penty, Technical Art Director The Coalition is now changed in wording and "dedicated RT cores" are gone!

SJmD8bU.png

Source

cc: SeanMN Dictator

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Neither Sony or MS will enforce a mandatory minimum frame rate target from third party developers.
I don't think MS will do the 60fps for all fp on scarlett either, unless if they are going forward with their plan of keeping the Xbox one forward compatible with exclusives.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Imagine:

32 CU @ 1.85 GHz - 7.5 TF Lockhart for $399

40 CU @ 2 GHz - 10.2 TF PS5 for $499

64 CU @ 1.85 GHz - 15.1 TF Scarlett for $599

It won't happen, but it would be very interesting to watch unfold.
I'm so in on this. I would get anaconda and PS5 in a heartbeat. In reality I bet we are getting 1ps5 and 1 Xbox and they will probably be about the same.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's up to developers. Most of them seem to choose 30fps with better visuals. I don't think Sony ever put a frames restriction

I know trust me I've had many arguments with a pc gamer friend.

"The PS4 is too weak for 60fps"
"That not how it works, the megadrive was 60fps"

I just wish with the level of power available the majority of devs aim for responsive smooth readable games.

I don't have faith in Western devs who don't seem to realise that games are interactive.

Back in Sega's Halcyon days 60fps blazing fast blue skies arcade gameplay, easy to play tough to master.. oh what a time to be alive. The glory days.

These days even Sega's arcade games are at 30hx (sometimes.)

Like Wonderland Wars.

A great looking toybox real-time strategy game (which should be ported) but runs at a choppy 30 fps....so sad.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Neither Sony or MS will enforce a mandatory minimum frame rate target from third party developers.
I don't think MS will do the 60fps for all fp on scarlett either, unless if they are going forward with their plan of keeping the Xbox one forward compatible with exclusives.

Gears 5 is 60fps on all modes whilst OG Xbox is 30fps for campaign and 60fps for multi. Phil has spoken repeatedly about how frames are important to them for Scarlett. I think you can book the prioritizing of fps coming from first party studios.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
The hell of logic is that? Sony worked for this patent for years. That's a bit expectable their loading solutions should be better in some way. No one said MS will sleep on it but doesn't seems they are worked on it many years like did sony. Not sure what should indicate RT would be better in the MS front.
The point is that it's comparing and deciding on superiority of solutions based on no available specs.
We've already went through similar stuff for several threads and it ended up doing nothing but inflame console warring.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
while i agree that mandatory frame rates shouldn't be enforced i would love it if more an more developers support "custom experiences" within their games that the player can adjust to suit their tastes, such as 1080p@60fps mode or cb4K@60fps etc, like the mid gen refreshes.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Of course 60fps can't be the focus and won't be.

Are we really expecting 4K/60fps with ray tracing to be the focus?

The best thing that developers can do is to give graphics options in their games.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I think something like 45fps will be a nice compromise with VRR displays.

We don't need to go all the way up to 60fps with VRR. Though some games might want to push 120fps if they don't care about resolution and have simple stylised graphics.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I think all Xbox first party games will be 60fps+ when Scarlett launches, all of them.

I agree. Because MS already confirmed all 1st party XBOX games will be multi-plats (no exclusive Scarlett games) for the time being ("when Scarlett launches), hence whatever runs on an XBOX One S should easily be able to run at 60fps on their next gen console.

Status
Not open for further replies.