• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
There also is an argument that showing something at E3 has more relevance. Nonsense. Mark Cerny's Wired interview was not special because it was WIRED, it was special because of what he chose to reveal. It also shows that these companies can mix it up when it comes to revealing their consoles. Sony revealed the PS4 Pro at E3, the PS5 with the interview. Microsoft chose to reveal their console in 2013 at their campus, the Xbox One X at E3 and Scorpio on the same forum.

The venue/forum is not what is important, the content is. They could choose to reveal the hard specs via tweet too for all I care.

I am not it that group .
IMO showing something or saying something at E3 don't make it more important.
To me that is more marketing aspect than getting info out aspect .
Also i don't think Sony revealed the PS4 Pro at E3 it had it own event but i could be remembering wrong.

Feb 26, 2018
Everyone should take everything insiders say as a rumor. It will be better for you.
Ain't fully believing nobody after that "aiming to be most powerful console" and Lockhart fiasco

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
I am not it that group .
IMO showing something or saying something at E3 don't make it more important.
To me that is more marketing aspect than getting info out aspect .
Also i don't think Sony revealed the PS4 Pro at E3 it had it own event but i could be remembering wrong.

Sony revealed the PS4 Pro and HDR for all PS4s at a special Cerny-led media event (you may recall they had to literally say neither improvement is something you can see on this 1080p SDR stream).

However, the kernel of truth to the mis-recollection is that they confirmed directly to media (not in their event) that an upgraded console was something they were working on at the preceeding E3 (to head off Scorpio hype).

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed, though thinking what Playground are doing with their open world RPG, seeing what The Coalition have done already and The Initiative's all star lineup there could be a few studios trying to take the crown for the best looker on Xbox.
I went from 360 to PS4 but that Playground RPG could quite possibly be a system seller, really excited to see what they are doing.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Sony revealed the PS4 Pro and HDR for all PS4s at a special Cerny-led media event (you may recall they had to literally say neither improvement is something you can see on this 1080p SDR stream).

However, the kernel of truth to the mis-recollection is that they confirmed directly to media (not in their event) that an upgraded console was something they were working on at the preceeding E3 (to head off Scorpio hype).

I remember them saying stuff because they had been so many leaks by then .
Did not remember it was so close to E3 .

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Any rumors on if the next consoles will have to be always online?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

No rumors, no. Shawn Layden has acknowledged, in the context of game streaming, that internet infrastructure isn't ideal everywhere, though:

Layden reiterated that given the global appeal of PlayStation, it will always provide solutions for locations that simply don't have the infrastructure for streaming. "If the PlayStation continues to grow at this rate, we can leave no gamer behind," he said.

I find it very unlikely Sony would go with always online, given how much of a global brand it is. If both of them learned something from the current gen launch, it should be to stay the fuck away from it.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I am guessing this whole thing is about Colbert trying to expose Matt on hardware raytracing for ps5 ?

Passive aggressive indeed haha .let's see how it pans out

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
And XBOX GPU does not rely on the CPU for geometry/lighting, unlike PS2's feature-lacking but blazing fast Graphics Syntheziser
PS2 had dedicated Vector Units for those things. They generally weren't handled on the EE or IOP CPU cores. VU0 and VU1 were highly programmable vertex processors that could create and transform geometry. We did all our lighting and mesh processing on them. Just like an early shader core, they were a bitch to program for as well.

4 x 32 bit float operations were dead cheap though. You can see the origins of SPU in VU1.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Thats precisely what im saying. their content was last gen. you are just apologizing for them by using whataboutism and moving goalposts by bringing in Sony who literally cancelled E3 instead of showing a current gen game's cutscene running at native 4k 60 fps.
Really? You are accusing me of moving goalposts? Really? REALLY???

whats so confusing about what i said? i am shocked because its a current gen game. just because they have a port of a current gen game launching alongside the console, doesnt mean you need to use that to show off what the console can do. it would be like sony showing off a 1080p 60 fps tlou remaster at the ps4 reveal.
whats so confusing about what i said? i am shocked because its a current gen game. just because they have a port of a current gen game launching alongside the console, doesnt mean you need to use that to show off what the console can do. it would be like sony showing off a 1080p 60 fps tlou remaster at the ps4 reveal.
What do you mean you were shocked? Halo Infinite is a launch title for the next generation console.
Bruh! Sony showed of SSD functionality using Spider-man.
That is clearly not the same as having an e3 reveal conference and you know that.

Sony chose to show off their next gen console using Spider-man, Microsoft chose to do that with Halo Infinite (which actually happens to be a launch title). One chose to reveal a console with an interview, the other at E3. You seem to think that revealing a console at E3 matters more, I don't. In fact, the original Xbox was revealed at GDC in 2000, the GameCube announced at Nintendo's press conference in 1999, and unveiled at another press conference in August 2000, with the PlayStation 2 being revealed at the Tokyo Game Show of 1999.

The 360 was revealed on MTV, the PlayStation 3 at E3 2005, and Nintendo introduced the Revolution at their Pre E3 show of 2004, the console shown the next year at E3 and the controller at TGS.

The PS4 was announced at a Playstation event in February 2013, the XB1 at a showing at Microsoft campus. Even the Switch was neither announced as NX nor revealed later as the Switch at E3.

People considering E3 some hallowed ground for console announcement is an interesting concept yet far flung from reality.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I am guessing this whole thing is about Colbert trying to expose Matt on hardware raytracing for ps5 ?

Passive aggressive indeed haha .let's see how it pans out
giphy.gif

Lockhart being a thing.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
No rumors, no. Shawn Layden has acknowledged, in the context of game streaming, that internet infrastructure isn't ideal everywhere, though:

I find it very unlikely Sony would go with always online, given how much of a global brand it is. If both of them learned something from the current gen launch, it should be to stay the fuck away from it.
Thanks.

I was watching the latest video about Gamestop from Spawn Wave and he mentioned an article where EA says something about always online and got scared haha.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Thanks.

I was watching the latest video about Gamestop from Spawn Wave and he mentioned an article where EA says something about always online and got scared haha.

I highlight the key words:

That's something I think next-gen is probably going to facilitate: greater power, more storage, always connected online, insanely short load times, so we'll see about that.

Typical tabloid article!

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Yes
William Ho, NHL 20 & EA Canada Developer in an interview with Electric Playground Network revealed that the PS5 and Xbox Scarlett will be always connected online. He says, "There's so much up in the air right now, we're just starting to wrap our heads around it. We've got some ideas, you know, I think something I alluded to earlier is how can we let people have their personal experience whenever they want it? That's something I think next-gen is probably going to facilitate: greater power, more storage, always connected online, insanely short load times, so we'll see about that."

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really? You are accusing me of moving goalposts? Really? REALLY???

Sony chose to show off their next gen console using Spider-man, Microsoft chose to do that with Halo Infinite (which actually happens to be a launch title). One chose to reveal a console with an interview, the other at E3. You seem to think that revealing a console at E3 matters more, I don't. In fact, the original Xbox was revealed at GDC in 2000, the GameCube announced at Nintendo's press conference in 1999, and unveiled at another press conference in August 2000, with the PlayStation 2 being revealed at the Tokyo Game Show of 1999.

The 360 was revealed on MTV, the PlayStation 3 at E3 2005, and Nintendo introduced the Revolution at their Pre E3 show of 2004, the console shown the next year at E3 and the controller at TGS.

The PS4 was announced at a Playstation event in February 2013, the XB1 at a showing at Microsoft campus. Even the Switch was neither announced as NX nor revealed later as the Switch at E3.

People considering E3 some hallowed ground for console announcement is an interesting concept yet far flung from reality.
No, Sony chose to CANCEL their e3 conference and reveal their console on a random tuesday with an article. They didnt hype up their conference or reveal. they literally dropped it in a tweet on a random day with zero fanfare.

You are the one who took issue with me criticisizing MS's poor reveal by bringing in Sony. Thats the definition of whataboutism. now you are moving goalposts by bringing up launch reveals from prior gens as if that has anything to do with MS not showing next gen games at their reveal.

MS didnt show a single next gen game at their next gen reveal. This is indisputable. your insistenace on trying to justify that is sad. the only other conference that i can think of that did this is the ps3 reveal conference which showed nothing but bullshit cg trailers and you will never hear anyone try and justify that conference.

again, if sony had revealed the ps5 only with 60 fps tlou2, ghost and death stranding demos, they would get crucified. they got a lot of flak for cancelling their e3 conference and rightfully so. but you dont see me defending that. im only criticizing MS for their conference.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
IMO if Colbert has info or calling out someone he should just come out and say it.
Round about way is always annoying , like when people tease info.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, now peopel are hoping for insiders to be wrong? This threas as reach a new low
in this thread, going back to last year, we only believe insiders when they have nice things to say about the MS console. When Matt says Scarlett will be more powerful, it has such a huge effect that the thread is brought back from total anarchy. But when he says PS5 will also have hardware RT, he cannot be trusted.

people are also weirdly obsessed with hoping for rumors of powerful consoles to be wrong and latch on to any rumors that point to weak consoles. its hilarious.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
in this thread, going back to last year, we only believe insiders when they have nice things to say about the MS console. When Matt says Scarlett will be more powerful, it has such a huge effect that the thread is brought back from total anarchy. But when he says PS5 will also have hardware RT, he cannot be trusted.

people are also weirdly obsessed with hoping for rumors of powerful consoles to be wrong and latch on to any rumors that point to weak consoles. its hilarious.

Xbox fans/owners are the worst, right.

Status
Not open for further replies.