• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they can have different sized CUs in the same APU, as seen with the PS4pro. So while adding RT to the WGP would make each WGP bigger, there is no saying that they would add it to every single one of those work groups.

This is what I have been saying for the last God knows how many pages. On the architectural level, the RT hardware will be identical in both consoles since they are both using RDNA. However, there are other ways or things that could result in one console having better RT than the other, the scenario I just described is another such way. So imagine they both have 44CU (aka 22 WGPs). One could add the RT hardware to just 11 of those work groups and the other could add it to 16 or all of them...etc.
man, imagine the meltdowns when one consoles ends up with higher tflops but the other ends up with better performance in ray traced games because they invested in more rt hardware.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
It could if the title of the slide wouldn't be telling you (in big letters): "Architecture Roadmap" (instead to "Product Roadmap").

To your second point:
I would not come to the same conclusion. AMD could be very well use RDNA with a bigger chip or could be ready for a RDNA2 release in late 2020 if all works perfect for them.

My point was that RDNA2 is going along with a new process node and I do think that for consoles the 7nm+ node is out of question because of the timing. I could argue (and I already did with anexanhume ) that this also could be a hurdle to incorporate newest stuff from RDNA2 into consoles.

It being an architecture roadmap doesn't preclude the subtext "shipping" and "in design" designators being in reference to actual products; after all a GPU architecture inherently must appear in a product for it to have any market relevance at all and it would be logically inconsistent for the GCN and RDNA1 "shipping" labels to be referencing products and the RDNA2 label to not do so.

Your argument about timing doesn't hold because 7nm+ products should be shipping's in volume next year. So the process node isn't holding the consoles back. And like I mentioned previously, if RDNA2 microarch is still in design good luck seeing any desktop products till 2022. I cannot believe AMD is that far behind on a refresh of their new GPU microarch.

Regardless, since AMD is calling RDNA2 a generational iteration on RDNA, it's simply going to encompass some feature additions which individually can be included in a console design and fabbed on N7 or the N7P node.

I can't see there being anything fundamental about the RDNA2 architectural design that makes it only possible to fab on a 7nm+ node. That's never been true for any IC design in the semi-conductor industry.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
man, imagine the meltdowns when one consoles ends up with higher tflops but the other ends up with better performance in ray traced games because they invested in more rt hardware.

It is a little bit more complex than that, with raytracing shading power is very important. When ray intersection are done , a shader evaluation of the material to calculate the light bouncing of the material is needed. On rasterizing this is not the case when raytracing is done CU are used for doing this shader evaluation to know where the indirect lighting will bounce... Raytracing need more shader power than rasterization...

For example in the PICA PICA demo of SEED the limitation was mostly shader power...

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
So a different approach to nvidia, I wonder which implementation is the best.
The approach is the same actually: same BVH ray traversal acceleration. The difference likely lies in how fast such traversal will be handled (AMD's approach will be slower) and how much help from general SIMDs is needed (AMD will need more of that). Considering that most gaming RT on Turings seem to be severely limited by shading before it is being limited by ray casting an approach which scales down ray casting performance may be a more efficient one for a purely gaming system (Turing's RT isn't there just for gaming in case someone is wondering). On the other hand, the need to handle more things with SIMDs will lead to an even bigger part of the process becoming limited by shading - but maybe they hope to hide this part in async compute.

wikipedia says texture mapping units are part of the cus along with the shader processors, so we can assume that if both consoles have the same number of CUs, they will both have the same ray tracing capabilities right?
This is a highly likely scenario IMO. However, what will matter a lot for RT is the differences in memory subsystems.

lastly, surely this makes CUs even bigger right? that means a 40 CU gpu with rt will be much bigger than the 251 mm2 5700xt chip?
Turing's "RT cores" add less than 10% of transistors to an SM. A simpler solution will add even less than that. So it won't be "much bigger".

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't see meltdowns. At the moment of purchase people will possibly know what they get.

We all know for most people here the purchase goes to the platform they prefer since ages anyway regardless of what console has the "better" specs.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017

This sort of scenario is likely in my opinion. These machines will be comparable, with each having minor strengths over the other.

There will not be a console that has the solitary power crown.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sort of scenario is likely in my opinion. These machines will be comparable, with each having minor strengths over the other.

There will not be a console that has the solitary power crown.

That's the best-case scenario IMO. I want both consoles on equal footing so that software and services can shine through.

Straffaren666

Mar 13, 2018
It's true PS4 got 8 ACEs vs the GCN standard 2 ACEs which Xbox One has. That fact usually gets overlooked or forgotten.
I don't believe it has been overlooked. The performance implications of 8 ACEs comparared to 2 ACEs are in general negligible. If async CS is used to offload the CPU, 2 ACEs are sufficent for most relevant use cases and for something more advanced, for instance geometry preprocessing, the async CS launchrate of even 8 ACEs is too low.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

There's 5 more tweets :)
Read them

tenor.gif

this is pretty douchey

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Banned for a meme...
at least it was only 3 days. back on gaf, something small like that would earn me 2-3 months. i missed several E3s and even the whole gaf shutdown fiasco because of stuff like that.

this board does need to lighten up. whatever happened to warnings. i loved that feature.

I don't believe it has been overlooked. The performance implications of 8 ACEs comparared to 2 ACEs are in general negligible. If async CS is used to offload the CPU, 2 ACEs are sufficent for most relevant use cases and for something more advanced, for instance geometry preprocessing, the async CS launchrate of even 8 ACEs is too low.

Yep. Sony studios have done a great job with their exclusives this gen, but looking at Gears, Ryse and Sea Of Thieves, and of course most multiplatform games, the difference mostly comes down to resolution. 900p-1080p. i dont see anything fancy in Sony exclusives thats not in Xbox games. No fancy physics or anything. Death Stranding really struggles with rendering geometry in the distance too. the new footage has everything blurred out in the distance with LOD pop ins everywhere there are rocks. So those 8 ACEs didnt do much in the end.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i've been wondering if MS's shift from "most powerful" to "most immersive" may be alluding to RT.
Sony has used immersive to describe the ps5 as well. both console manufacturers are going in hard on the SSD features. quick to no loading times is going to be a marketing bullet point, hence the overuse of the term immersion. its just PR speak because they cant claim to have the most powerful console until Sony reveals their specs. i can promise you the moment they find out Sony's tflops number comes in under theirs they will go back to most powerful.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has used immersive to describe the ps5 as well. both console manufacturers are going in hard on the SSD features. quick to no loading times is going to be a marketing bullet point, hence the overuse of the term immersion. its just PR speak because they cant claim to have the most powerful console until Sony reveals their specs. i can promise you the moment they find out Sony's tflops number comes in under theirs they will go back to most powerful.
i certainly did not intent to say this was a MS only thing, dont need to reopen that can of worms.

but immersion can be interpreted in a number of ways. i'd say RT fits that bill, as do higher framerates, as do SSDs - all things MS has has talked about as a focus with scarlet. it may be PR talk, well it absolutely is, but its also informative of what these consoles are bring aside from teraflop counts. and good news as gamers

Deleted member 56995

Banned
May 24, 2019
I just take the immersion talk as just the two companies not being sure which system is more powerful and wanting to be on the safe side.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
It's hard to belive considering whole sources both sony and microsoft have that they don't know specs of both consoles.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, this isn't some Galaxy brain thing. It's basically cause they can't be called out on it if it does not come to fruition

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i think its more than just a PR move to save face and avoid the power war - but whatevs. its all speculation

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to belive considering whole sources both sony and microsoft have that they don't know specs of both consoles.
well, they might not know the final specs. the oberon leak suggests Sony is contuining to push the clocks. MS will be doing the same. sony had no issues revealing their tflops count last gen. the fact that they are being so secretive tells me that they either dont know what MS is capable of or they themselves havent settled on a final number.

as you know im in the camp that the 2ghz oberon clockspeed means a 14 tflops PS5 gpu, but if Sony can push the clocks so high, MS will be looking to do the same as well.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
well, they might not know the final specs. the oberon leak suggests Sony is contuining to push the clocks. MS will be doing the same. sony had no issues revealing their tflops count last gen. the fact that they are being so secretive tells me that they either dont know what MS is capable of or they themselves havent settled on a final number.

as you know im in the camp that the 2ghz oberon clockspeed means a 14 tflops PS5 gpu, but if Sony can push the clocks so high, MS will be looking to do the same as well.
2ghz means 10tf max as tdp would skyrocket with this clock and big number of cu's

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2ghz means 10tf max as tdp would skyrocket with this clock and big number of cu's
but that means it was 8.5 tflops when it was 1.85ghz. so did MS see an 8.5 tflops console and back off of their claim to set the industry standard? i doubt that very much. I think MS had an 11-12 tflops console and were caught off guard when they saw the 13 tflops rumors.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I can only assume Microsoft also thought PS5 was coming this year and thought the extra year would naturally lead to more power as it did with mid-gen consoles?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

I really don't think both parties don't know what the other is doing. As it stands its all about fine margins.

I think based on what either is fishing to get, and whats in the water (or will be), its kinda easy for either company to predict what the other will have. Or at least a very accurate range of performance. The only thing that will make one outright come out and say anything absolute now, is if they know they are doing something the other just isn't doing at all or can't do.

Yeah I know this argument very well I just said it seems unrealistic in terms of consoles tdp constraint to put 2ghz and cu's above 40
Why?

Because they can't i a cooler that can handle up to 250W TDP in a console sized box?

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I really don't think both parties don't know what the other is doing. As it stands its all about fine margins.

I think based on what either is fishing to get, and whats in the water (or will be), its kinda easy for either company to predict what the other will have. Or at least a very accurate range of performance. The only thing that will make one outright come out and say anything absolute now, is if they know they are doing something the other just isn't doing at all or can't do.

Why?

Because they can't i a cooler that can handle up to 250W TDP in a console sized box?
Because there haven't been 250w tdp console in history

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Because there haven't been 250w tdp console in history
And that means absolutely nothing. There also hasn't been a console with an SSD in history. Or with RT hardware. Or at some point with disc media, or at some point with hard drives period, or with a vapor chamber.... I could go on.

I'll ask again, do you think its impossible for them to fit a 250w TDP cooler into a console sized form factor? You think the market and the tech still makes it prohibitively expensive?

And not saying you don't know this... but just have to be sure... you do know that having a 250W TDP cooler doesn't mean your chip has power draw of 250W right?

How about small form factor PCs?
You are even going too far... I was just waiting for him to say its impossible so I can put up pictures of $350-$450 GPUs. Who mind you are selling there products at a sizable markup.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
And that means absolutely nothing. There also hasn't been a console with an SSD in history. Or with RT hardware...
Silly argument, there hasn't been ssd or rt hardware because of technology/price limitation but power consumption is totally different thing.
No, I don't thing its impossible to create 250w or 300w console but there is also limitation in form factor (it has to be something that you can put under your tv and looks nice). Also as far as I know there is some agreement about console power limitation (http://efficientgaming.eu/)

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Silly argument, there hasn't been ssd or rt hardware because of technology/price limitation but power consumption is totally different thing.
you should read what i said again....

then again that you just said power consumption means I was right to suspect you didn't know.

Oh... and that consoles will for whatever reason never have more than 180W "power consumption" is actually what is silly here. Cause its not happened before doesn't mean it can't. Especially to the tune of the conviction with which you seem t state such a claim.

And that "agreement" also means nothing at all. That has been discussed multiple times in this thread. And again... TDP does not mean POWER CONSUMPTION!!!

Bet way I can think to show this... look at HVAC units or multizone ACs. They have compressor units rated as 12KW, 14KW, 18KW...etc for heating and cooling. But the compressor unit itself never pulls more than 3KW from the wall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.