• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Bet way I can think to show this... look at HVAC units or multizone ACs. They have compressor units rated as 12KW, 14KW, 18KW...etc for heating and cooling. But the compressor unit itself never pulls more than 3KW from the wall.
I can guarantee you that 7nm navi with 2ghz and over 40cu's would break all records in console power consumption. Is it possible that both sony and microsoft plan to go crazy and break all previous powerconsumption pattern? Maybe but it would be surprising for sure.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can guarantee you that 7nm navi with 2ghz and over 40cu's would break all records in console power consumption. Is it possible that both sony and microsoft plan to go crazy and break all previous powerconsumption pattern? Maybe but it would be surprising for sure.
7nm EUV will save us. ;p

also, you never know. RDNA2 might be more power efficient than RNDA 1.0.

p.s the ps3 shipped with a 345w power supply.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't be 7nm though. Next gen SoCs will likely use either 7+ or 6.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
You can suspect in you head whatever you want ;)
As they say ignorance is bliss... I was right to "suspect" you case you keep referring to TDP as power consumption whereas its not. then again I guess its not your fault between AMD, Intel and Nvidia they have done a great deal t confuse people. Hell at some point Intel even conned SDP or something like that.

Ok... How much power do you think just the GPU "chip" in an RX 5700xt uses? You know its not that 250W TDP nonsense AMD put up right?

And I actually agree with you, a 40CU@2hz combined with a CPU APU will no doubt result in a system that could draw more than 200W, all I am saying is that its not impossible. I would even say that its actually very likely and that is not representative of them going "crazy"... its just them doing what is necessary. Cause if one doesn't do it, the other will. And when both have the same price but one is more powerful than the other, I can "promise" you no one is going to buy the weaker console because it consumes "less power".

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Seeing that AMD updated their roadmap and and RDNA2 is still in design while zen 3 is already design finished, considering that zen 3 is ready but not used on the next gen consoles, why would RDNA 2 be used?
the GPU is going to be RDNA1 with some RDNA2 features (mainly ray tracing), but no architectural benefit from RDNA2

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
As they say ignorance is bliss... I was right to "suspect" you case you keep referring to TDP as power consumption whereas its not. then again I guess its not your fault between AMD, Intel and Nvidia they have done a great deal t confuse people. Hell at some point Intel even conned SDP or something like that.

Ok... How much power do you think just the GPU "chip" in an RX 5700xt uses? You know its not that 250W TDP nonsense AMD put up right?

And I actually agree with you, a 40CU@2hz combined with a CPU APU will no doubt result in a system that could draw more than 200W, all I am saying is that its not impossible. I would even say that its actually very likely and that is not representative of them going "crazy"... its just them doing what is necessary. Cause if one doesn't do it, the other will. And when both have the same price but one is more powerful than the other, I can "promise" you no one is going to buy the weaker console because it consumes "less power".
Don't know what theory do you have in your head but there is whole thread "simulating gonzalo" and you can see how much power 5700xt underclocked and overclocked consume ;)

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
7nm EUV will save us. ;p

also, you never know. RDNA2 might be more power efficient than RNDA 1.0.

p.s the ps3 shipped with a 345w power supply.

Actually 380W for PS3 but that is the rating and not the actual consumption used (210W max IIRC). Confusingly Sony do tend to say it is power consumption, though. My PC has a 550W rated PSU but it uses 70-100W. No way would I ever claim my PC has 550W power consumption like Sony words it.

This article illustrates nicely the confusion between PSU rating and actual power consumption.

PS3 fat PSU rating = 380W minus 34% Sony claim = 250W which is the PSU rating for the PS3 slim.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually 380W for PS3 but that is the rating and not the actual consumption used (210W max IIRC). Confusingly Sony do tend to say it is power consumption, though. My PC has a 550W rated PSU but it uses 70-100W. No way would I ever claim my PC has 550W power consumption like Sony words it.

This article illustrates nicely the confusion between PSU rating and actual power consumption.

PS3 fat PSU rating = 380W minus 34% Sony claim = 250W which is the PSU rating for the PS3 slim.
i dont think sony fooled me. i was just pointing out it had a massive power supply. i know it didnt hit those watts.

i think 200-225w is what we should expect next gen.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
i dont think sony fooled me. i was just pointing out it had a massive power supply. i know it didnt hit those watts.

i think 200-225w is what we should expect next gen.

Sorry, didn't mean it to come across like that.

I would be surprised if next-gen breached 200W again but in saying that if the PS5 dev kit leak is real then it can't be ruled out. That thing has twice the footprint of the original PS4 dev kit.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

I would be surprised if next-gen breached 200W again but in saying that if the PS5 dev kit leak is real then it can't be ruled out. That thing has twice the footprint of the original PS4 dev kit.
I wouldn't... its just so easy for them to do. making a console that hits 210W - 225W. All the while coming in at under $499. I literally can't think of a reason either of them won't do it... especially when you know the other is likely going to do it.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
well, they might not know the final specs. the oberon leak suggests Sony is contuining to push the clocks. MS will be doing the same. sony had no issues revealing their tflops count last gen. the fact that they are being so secretive tells me that they either dont know what MS is capable of or they themselves havent settled on a final number.

Sony revealed PS4's tflops number at the PS Meeting in 2013. They haven't revealed PS5's yet because it's not at that stage. You just need to be patient for a full spec sheet.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I start to think my "The Realist" prediction is bullshit! Not because of the specs but about how to get there from the scheme we know from the RX 5700 GPU dies. I think it will be either 40/36 CUs or 56/52 CUs.

I also do not think we will see an around 8TF GPU with the next gen consoles in 2020. I think there is only one of my predictions I will keep for the future which is "The Dream" which looks now like the most realistic one to me. Means 10-11 TF.

So there I said it.

An updated prediction will be following soon™.

And no, this is not a new experiment

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I start to think my "The Realist" prediction is bullshit! Not because of the specs but about how to get there from the scheme we know from the RX 5700 GPU dies. I think it will be either 40/36 CUs or 56/52 CUs.

I also do not think we will see an around 8TF GPU with the next gen consoles in 2020. I think there is only one of my predictions I will keep for the future which is "The Dream" which looks now like the most realistic one to me. Means 10-11 TF.

So there I said it.

Nope, it is realisitc if we keep power consumption target of previous console generation.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

So there I said it.

4TeFTBV.gif

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

Btw, we are now in mid September and still no any sign of PSX or some 25th anniversary event...

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Btw, we are now in mid September and still no any sign of PSX or some 25th anniversary event...

Right?! No PSX, no proper leaks from smaller or large-scale sites. Sony is running a tight ship it seems.

With that said, the conspiracy theorist in me is eye-balling the later-than-usual TGA date... 0_o

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017

So there I said it.

This ride is going to kill me!!

giphy.gif

Have some mercy Colbert!

11Tflops RDNA, that's like 14 to 15 GCN Tflops, which will also be paired with amazing Zen2 CPUs.

I... I can't imagine what the devs will be able to achieve with such monsters

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

There is that "other" Sony event after TLOU2 so there is hope for something yet!

We know Sony can completely surprise and sucker punch everyone with the likes of the Wired article and the PS4 reveal date Tweet.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Right?! No PSX, no proper leaks from smaller or large-scale sites. Sony is running a tight ship it seems.

With that said, the conspiracy theorist in me is eye-balling the later-than-usual TGA date... 0_o
Hmm,i dunno,at this point i really don't expect anything from them till 2020.

There is that "other" Sony event after TLOU2 so there is hope for something yet!

We know Sony can completely surprise and sucker punch everyone with the likes of the Wired article and the PS4 reveal date Tweet.

True.But Zhuge said that "other" event is private if i remember well?

Oct 25, 2017

So there I said it.

tenor.gif

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm,i dunno,at this point i really don't expect anything from them till 2020.

Agreed. I just like to throw out wild ideas because it's fun to speculate. I keep joking with a close friend about how I'd die for an early 2020 release.

Real talk, I don't want that to happen because I'm seriously considering an upgrade to the PS4 Pro right now. There are just enough games coming out for it between now and the PS5 that I might feel it's worth the upgrade. That is if PS5 launches next fall/holiday like we think it will.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So there I said it.

Wouldn't 54 CUs be most likely since (correct me if I'm wrong) RDNA CUs are grouped in rows of 20. This would be a total of 60 CUs with 2 CUs disabled for each group of 20.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Colbert going from 8 tflops to 12 tflops is a twist worthy of a game of thrones episode.

i wonder if this will convince more people in the thread particularly his fanbase to aim higher with their predictions. hopefully no more 7.5 tflops nonsense after this.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
It is a little bit more complex than that, with raytracing shading power is very important. When ray intersection are done , a shader evaluation of the material to calculate the light bouncing of the material is needed. On rasterizing this is not the case when raytracing is done CU are used for doing this shader evaluation to know where the indirect lighting will bounce... Raytracing need more shader power than rasterization...

For example in the PICA PICA demo of SEED the limitation was mostly shader power...

While true, Chris, the most realistic estimates of possible shading performance differential between the two consoles, I.e. <10%, isn't going to mean much in the face of any significant difference in fixed function hardware accelerators for BVH intersection tests.

On the flip side, any significant advantage of one console in RT hardware will most likely be accompanied by the same proportional advantage in shading performance, especially if AMD's hardware solution involves TMUs (which number in the same ratio to CU count).

I recommend to read the below article that somehow tells you the same thing I did about the status of the RDNA2 design. Thanks Mitchman1411 for sharing this!

What am I supposed to be seeing? Nothing in the article supports what you said Colbert.

There's no way AMD gets 7nm+ RDNA2 product out in 2020 if the michroarchitecture is still in design (which was your argument).

This article undermines your argument. Or are you changing your argument now?

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Colbert going from 8 tflops to 12 tflops is a twist worthy of a game of thrones episode.

i wonder if this will convince more people in the thread particularly his fanbase to aim higher with their predictions. hopefully no more 7.5 tflops nonsense after this.
10 to 11 TF, not 12TF !!

---------

What am I supposed to be seeing? Nothing in the article supports what you said Colbert.

There's no way AMD gets 7nm+ RDNA2 product out in 2020 if the michroarchitecture is still in design (which was your argument).

This article undermines your argument. Or are you changing your argument now?
My response into your direction was the following and the article supports exactly this.
To your second point:
I would not come to the same conclusion. a) AMD could be very well use RDNA with a bigger chip or b) could be ready for a RDNA2 release in late 2020 if all works perfect for them.

My point was that RDNA2 is going along with a new process node and I do think that for consoles the 7nm+ node is out of question b) because of the timing. I could argue (and I already did with @anexanhume ) that this also could be a hurdle to incorporate newest stuff from RDNA2 into consoles.

a) bigger RDNA chip coming end 2019 or early 2020
b) RDNA2 for a later release than Zen 3 ("which is signed as Design complete")
c) Zen 3 supposed to be in early or mid of 2020

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019

nonsense ? wasn't you expecting something like vega 64 before navi premiere ? :)

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

So there I said it.

Soon you shall be joining team 14 TF. :D

#believe

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nonsense ? wasn't you expecting something like vega 64 before navi premiere ? :)
its nonsense because no one is releasing a 7 tflops console in 2020 for $499, rdna or turing or vega, doesnt matter.

and yes, i was team 14 tflops or team 12.9 tflops. i dont remember what i voted for in the other thread, probably 14. i was always taking architectural improvements into acocunt. i just didnt expect it to completely blow away the vega cards like it has.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really recomend google "simulating gonzalo" to see what happend to navi at 2ghz.
i have posted the chart here several times. at 2.0 ghz, gpu die power jumps to 150w+. the author estimated total power consumption of 200w+. he specifically said that the consoles are more efficient than PCs and we can expect a further 10-15% reduction. on 7nm+ we should see another 10% decrease in wattage. so you are looking at a 40 cu console at 2.0 ghz consuming 160w on a 7nm+ gpu.

powerscalinggpuonly3pkch.png

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
its nonsense because no one is releasing a 7 tflops console in 2020 for $499, rdna or turing or vega, doesnt matter.

and yes, i was team 14 tflops or team 12.9 tflops. i dont remember what i voted for in the other thread, probably 14. i was always taking architectural improvements into acocunt. i just didnt expect it to completely blow away the vega cards like it has.
You are #team12.9 and I was #team10.9 (avatar bet). I now upped my prediction by 0.1TF.
Not that earth shattering.

P.S. For the bet I am still #team10.9 out of fairness.

------

Soon you shall be joining team 14 TF. :D
Not happening! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.