• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Don't like the thread? Easy, don't read it, don't post on it.

You know what this thread doesn't need more of? Passive-agressive silliness

i like this thread. im very excited to learn more about any potential creditable leaks regarding next gen hardware. i'm just tired of ignoring and sitting idly by while discussions revolve around limitations instead of potentials. lots of doom and gloom or downplaying every once in a while when i catch up reading pages here.

there are a lot of very intelligent people here who sound like they know their stuff about computer hardware. and at the same time it doesn't mean they are right.

i noted a simple fact that the pro/x1 have games that reach 4k, but its nonsense because it doesn't meet all of the criteria for a few individuals opinions. So i look at continuity and expect that approach to continue with 8k on these next consoles. especially with frame rates higher than 60fps too now.

i throw in a question time to time with what i've seen within this generation to see if i can learn more, but it becomes passive-aggressive because i don't type in a higher level of detail when talking about computer hardware. And i'll always call out stupid console warring comments about winning or being about the best. that is degrading to conversations about potential things these new consoles will bring us.

i here to learn more about what's NEXT.
other than the numbers of the next cpu/gpu/ram i want to learn about stuff like ...
UX
UI
New Features* (pip coming back? lol)
New Wifi chip?
Dedicated audio chip?
better blu-ray players or will there be a digital version along side launch?
USB C implementation? how many?
Smart integration with Alexa/siri/Home/whatever else they have
will there be a removable harddrives?
will they try to implement 5g capabilities?
bluetooth or a newer wireless proprietary protocol for connecting the new controllers?
new controllers??
Vr supported devices?
Ar support?

and the list goes on...

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
i like this thread. im very excited to learn more about any potential creditable leaks regarding next gen hardware. i'm just tired of ignoring and sitting idly by while discussions revolve around limitations instead of potentials. lots of doom and gloom or downplaying every once in a while when i catch up reading pages here.

there are a lot of very intelligent people here who sound like they know their stuff about computer hardware. and at the same time it doesn't mean they are right.

i noted a simple fact that the pro/x1 have games that reach 4k, but its nonsense because it doesn't meet all of the criteria for a few individuals opinions. So i look at continuity and expect that approach to continue with 8k on these next consoles. especially with frame rates higher than 60fps too now.

i throw in a question time to time with what i've seen within this generation to see if i can learn more, but it becomes passive-aggressive because i don't type in a higher level of detail when talking about computer hardware. And i'll always call out stupid console warring comments about winning or being about the best. that is degrading to conversations about potential things these new consoles will bring us.

i here to learn more about what's NEXT.
other than the numbers of the next cpu/gpu/ram i want to learn about stuff like ...
UX
UI
New Features* (pip coming back? lol)
New Wifi chip?
Dedicated audio chip?
better blu-ray players or will there be a digital version along side launch?
USB C implementation? how many?
Smart integration with Alexa/siri/Home/whatever else they have
will there be a removable harddrives?
will they try to implement 5g capabilities?
bluetooth or a newer wireless proprietary protocol for connecting the new controllers?
new controllers??
Vr supported devices?
Ar support?

and the list goes on...

I don't think you got my post...you think I care about the first part of it?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
i'm just tired of ignoring and sitting idly by while discussions revolve around limitations instead of potentials
Because there is too much console war underneath. I always own Sony, never MS, but I can't be happier everytime I saw confirmation that both had :
  • SSD (especially that one, this is so promising)
  • Zen2
  • Next Gen RDNA
  • BC
  • HDMI 2.1
  • HD RT (I know there isn't confirmation for that one)
I couldn't care less about which one will be the most powerful, if it will be 16Go or 24Go of RAM, 9Tflop or 12, 15, etc. The devs knows how to handle limitations, they always do.
Like you, I wanted to know about :
  • Controller (4 are unusable for differents knows issue, like R2 buttons, drifting, ...)
  • How installation (good on PS4) and patched (so bad) are handle.
  • BD UHD (probably, but not sure)
  • Will the OS be instant quick ? How about the internet browser ?
  • Will it be possible to add a HDD (or SSD) instead of doing data managment with the probably 1To custom SSD ?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I know people are super anxious for spec leaks but I'm more interested in the official hardware + software reveal events. PS5 and Scarlett having x amount of clock frequencies and tflops is cool and all but I want the development vision behind the hardware choices made and the software that is tailor made for said hardware.

PS Meeting 2013 was reeeeeeally good. Cerny really went deep into the thought process behind the development of the console. I want more of that!

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I know people are super anxious for spec leaks but I'm more interested in the official hardware + software reveal events. PS5 and Scarlett having x amount of clock frequencies and tflops is cool and all but I want the development vision behind the hardware choices made and the software that is tailor made for said hardware.

PS Meeting 2013 was reeeeeeally good. Cerny really went deep into the thought process behind the development of the console. I want more of that!

That is what i looking forward to along with software .
Finding out what the hardware is nice but i wamt to see the games more than anything else.
The jump should be great from this gen .

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Maybe we did get actual spec leaks, but they were utterly smothered by the deluge of fake stuff, so we'll just find out once we get official specs.

*tinfoil hat*

Maybe that was even deliberate.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This! Spec leaks are all well and good, but they lead to too much armchair analysis for my tastes. I want to know what the consoles have AND what the devs/manufacturers are going to do with it.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
That is what i looking forward to along with software .
Finding out what the hardware is nice but i wamt to see the games more than anything else.
The jump should be great from this gen .

When I say software I mostly mean OS features and things built around their vision of next-gen. Like someone mentioned in the old thread where you can pick up exactly where you left off without any delays and such away from home on a different console. Stuff like that.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we did get actual spec leaks, but they were utterly smothered by the deluge of fake stuff, so we'll just find out once we get official specs.

*tinfoil hat*

So what you're saying is to comb through all the pastebin leaks and find the one that says 16GB HBM2 and that is probably the actual specs leak? Right, I'm on it

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
When I say software I mostly mean OS features and things built around their vision of next-gen. Like someone mentioned in the old thread where you can pick up exactly where you left off without any delays and such away from home on a different console. Stuff like that.

I also care about that stuff .
Sleep mode was god send for me this gen lol.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the truth is so surreal that we end up doubting it when presented with other info that we consider more "realistic". 14TF, 32GB HBM2 confirmed.
Honestly, you never know, LOL. We immediately pass off specs like the one you mentioned as completely unrealistic. Imagine if a Sony rep did actually leak the specs but nobody believed it. It's like that one time a SE rep leaked the entire plot and development behind the scenes of FFXV on 4Chan and no one believed it

Oct 25, 2017

*tinfoil hat*

tenor.gif

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Did we ever find out what other event, besides the one for TLOU2, ZhugeEX was referring to?
Almost made it sound like there would be some PS5 news... Just wishful thinking on my part, I know...

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
We're just barely a year away from launches and we still don't have credible spec leaks. I am beginning to think we may actually make it to reveal events.

That would be nice, though I do think we'll get at least some sort of small leak shortly before, like that DS4 photo from early 2013.

It's most likely a State of Play. On outbreak day. With at least CoD campaign, Concrete Genie, Iron Man VR, Death Stranding and The Last of Us.
That's pretty much consensus in the first party thread

Sounds to me like a great time to announce a PS4 Super Slim made with Samsung 7nm EUV... 😁

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
I think I would prefer people to see the specs after the proper reveals because otherwise we're going to have a lot of arguments over how weak everything sounds without any visual reference for what the machines are actually capable of. Of course, people will still (rightly) doubt until the day they play the games themselves, but it would be nice to properly contextualize hardware performance from the outset.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
They did their homework, as the playstation theater (past location for PS Meeting) is closing down later this year, but idk if its legitimate. If it is, then we should already get the invite before the end of the year

Please be excited? ;)

If this is true we can expect invitations around Christmas i guess.

Last edited:

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
They did their homework, as the playstation theater (past location for PS Meeting) is closing down later this year, but idk if its legitimate. If it is, then we should already get the invite before the end of the year
I remember going there for their Paris Games Week livestream event back in 2017.

It was fun but sorry to hear that it's closing.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Should also be noted that from january 21st to to the 25th sony hall does not have anything scheduled currently

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
m5sgoabdbcn31.png

Saw this on reddit ps5 sub ..seems like a 4chan post..#rumor
Should also be noted that from january 21st to to the 25th sony hall does not have anything scheduled currently

If that is true as far as timing,I'm starting to feel hyped.

So possibly:

Reveal - 1 month earlier than the Feb 20th 2013 PlayStation Meeting in NY.
Release window - A couple of weeks to a month earlier than OG PS4 (Nov 15).

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
True or not, nothing will be revealed in 2019. They have to finish up holiday sales without compromising PS4 sales.

IMO, this is lots of "tales from my ass".

Some "concrete" info from this:
  • State of Play Sept 27
  • PS5 unveil at jan22
  • TLOU2 - feb2020 for PS4, early 2021 for PS5 remaster
  • Those two old IPs getting sequels in 2021
  • PS5 release date [down to the day]
  • all production moving to china
  • exact console price

I don't see all this being accurate. All could be just educated guesses.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
True or not, nothing will be revealed in 2019. They have to finish up holiday sales without compromising PS4 sales.

IMO, this is lots of "tales from my ass".

Some "concrete" info from this:
  • State of Play Sept 27
  • PS5 unveil at jan22
  • TLOU2 - feb2020 for PS4, early 2021 for PS5 remaster
  • Those two old IPs getting sequels in 2021
  • PS5 release date [down to the day]
  • all production moving to china
  • exact console price

I don't see all this being accurate. All could be just educated guesses.
" ($499 USD). This is a fair price considering the specs and features it's going for" - thats good one, so how much tf is fair for 499$?:d

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Price can go up without changing GPU power. The easiest would be by adding more ram and more storage.

No matter what performance will be fine, a big generational leap over PS4.

I still hope for 32GB of RAM :D
10tf + hw rt,16gb for games + additional for system and ssd cache, 1tb ssd, zen2 8c 3.2ghz is more than fair for 499$ for me

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
($499 USD). This is a fair price considering the specs and features it's going for"

This makes me very suspicious about this "leak"...when leaker starts talking about price.Probably nobody except highest ranking Sony executives knows that,at this point.
So...maybe some of the other stuff mentioned is true,yeah.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
whats so confusing about what i said? i am shocked because its a current gen game. just because they have a port of a current gen game launching alongside the console, doesnt mean you need to use that to show off what the console can do. it would be like sony showing off a 1080p 60 fps tlou remaster at the ps4 reveal.
Yes this pretty much, game won't be deigne for next gen because of backwards compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.