• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Executive editor of Game Informer straight up said, that in discussion on the show floor for a conference devs were saying that ps5 is more powerful. It was unequivocal and even clarified that based on target specs each was targeting, not even the iteration of devkit they currently had. Add in kleegamefan saying the difference between the new consoles is less than the difference between og X1 and PS4, and here we are
Oh ok I haven't been in this thread much, didn't know about the GI Editors info, I did hear about the KLee GameFan guy talking in here a while ago. Interesting.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
MS had shown us in the CGI trailer a mixture of 1GB and 2GB chips, 10 of those means anything between 11GB and 19GB of GDDR6 in Scarlett unless they will decide to downgrade to just 1GB chips (which will never happen) or just 2GB (which might happen).

Flute implies a 256-bit bus with 16GB of 18Gbps GDDR6, MS CGI trailer from E3 implies a 320-bit bus with 10GB-20GB of 14Gbps GDDR6.

320-bit vs 256-bit should be ~20mm^2 on the die.
Thanks for the info. Funny thing is that I have still not seen this flute rumor. I think I was either banned when it was making the rounds and just never bothered to look at it properly or its one of those things I dismissed lol.

As or the MS RAM thing, I am leaning more towards the RAMchip mixture they used being a misdirect so as to not give an exact number on ram mount of their hardware. Because the wole mixture thing just doesn't work based on how I understand GDDR6 working.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Thanks for the info. Funny thing is that I have still not seen this flute rumor. I think I was either banned when it was making the rounds and just never bothered to look at it properly or its one of those things I dismissed lol.
Flute popped up in the userbench DB, found by Kemchi. It had:
- CPU score very similar to the 1700X.
- 8 cores 16 threads at 1.6Ghz and 3.2Ghz boost.
- 16 1GB GDDR6 chips in a clamshell that scored 530GB/s in the benchmark.
- GPU was 2Ghz.

The benchmark was taken down so no link to it anymore, maybe someone here has a screenshot. Flute is also a Shakespeare reference so the leak seemed pretty sound and it replaced the good old Gonzalo leak.

So from that leak, we can assume that PS5 has a 256-bit bus with 16GB of 18Gbps GDDR6 running at an unknown speed, probably a bit under 18Gbps which means a bit under 576GB/s.

As or the MS RAM thing, I am leaning more towards the RAMchip mixture they used being a misdirect so as to not give an exact number on ram mount of their hardware. Because the wole mixture thing just doesn't work based on how I understand GDDR6 working.
I'm not sure what kind of misdirect the can do using that setup. If it's not mixed it's 10GB of GDDR6 or 20GB of GDDR6, no other option, and I'm pretty sure it's not 10GB :)

Last edited:

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
- GPU was 2Ghz.

The benchmark was taken down so no link to it anymore, maybe someone here has a screenshot. Flute is also a Shakespeare reference so the leak seemed pretty sound and it replaced the good old Gonzalo leak.

So from that leak, we can assume that PS5 has a 256-bit bus with 16GB of 18Gbps GDDR6 running at an unknown speed, probably a bit under 18Gbps which means a bit under 576GB/s.

I'm not sure what kind of misdirect the can do using that setup. If it's not mixed it's 10GB of GDDR6 or 20GB of GDDR6, no other option, and I'm pretty sure it's not 10GB :)
I don't know how I missed all that.

Sounds very very legit, especially the clamshell thing because at the time of running that test they probably didn't have access to 16Gb GDDR6 chips.

But if that's the case then it would also mean PS5 would definitely have to have some sort of LPDDR4 additional RAM or something. No way it makes sense they share that 16GB GDDR6 between the OS and apps.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
- GPU was 2Ghz.

They can mix 2's and 1's

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Predictions

PS5
GPU: 44cu @ 2000Mhz = 11.26TF
CPU: 3.2Ghz Zen 2
RAM: 16GB GDDR6 @ 16Gbps on 256 bit memory bus = 512GB/s bandwidth
SSD: 1TB
$499

Scarlett
GPU: 48cu @ 1800Mhz = 11.06TF
CPU: 3.6Ghz Zen 2
RAM: 16GB GDDR6 @ 14Gbps on 320 bit memory bus = 560GB/s bandwidth
SSD: 1TB
$499

Practically the same machine, just focusing on slightly different things.

Size wise, I think Scarlett will be the bigger box, PS5 smaller.

I like it 👍

Deleted member 56995

Banned
May 24, 2019
- GPU was 2Ghz.

I wouldn't be surprised if all three were downclocked for the final retail product compared to dev kit. Just my speculation, however.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
What if the mixed RAM density thing is due to a non-unified RAM pool? We know that access contention between CPU and GPU can have a pretty disproportionate impact on available bandwidth and, with Zen 2 being considerably more powerful and sensitive to latency, it might make sense to give the CPU its own set of pipes. HBCC could be used to both virtually unify the pools and shuttle data between them, if necessary.

Say, a 256bit bus for the GPU and your typical 64bit bus for the CPU.

Last edited:

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
RAM is based on the E3 video which showed what looked to be a 10 chip set up with 1GB and 2GB chips at 14GBps.

GPU is based on Scarlett being very close to PS5.

CPU is a shot in the dark.

Fair enough. Even though I think a proper leak would be exciting, it might be cool to experience a proper reveal (for once).

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
What if the mixed RAM density thing is due to a non-unified RAM pool? We know that access contention between CPU and GPU can have a pretty disproportionate impact on available bandwidth and, with Zen 2 being considerably more powerful and sensitive to latency, it might make sense to give the CPU its own set of pipes. HBCC could be used to both virtually unify the pools and shuttle data between them, if necessary.

When looking back at things they did right with the PS4 design, I imagine unified memory would be up high on their list, so I can't imagine it changing.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
They can mix 2's and 1's
I really don't know about this... But I can't say for certain because I am not sure because there has never been a single GPU or system that uses different sizes of GDDR RAM. Even the RTX 2080 TI that has 11GB simply left a space on the board blank as opposed to 10x1GB modules + 2x 512MB modules whch would have meant it would have had a higher bus width and in turn higher bandwidth. There has to be a reason for that. Here's an image of the RTX 2080 ti PCB.
DSC_0145-Custom-1030x687.jpg

Notice they opted to leave a space blank? If you could mix GDDR sizes, wouldnt ithave been better for them to use 10x1GB modules and 2x512MB mdeuls to notjustget their 11GB otal ut also get higher bandwidth over the 384-bit bus as opposed to a 352-bit bus?

And from what I know about PCs and DDR RAM, if you have different sizes of RAM, all the ones of identical size can work optimally in their dual channel mode, the ones that aren't of a similar size only work as single-channel RAM.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I really don't know about this... But I can't say for certain because I am not sure because there has never been a single GPU or system that uses different sizes of GDDR RAM. Even the RTX 2080 TI that has 11GB simply left a space on the board blank as opposed to 10x1GB modules + 2x 512MB modules whch would have meant it would have had a higher bus width and in turn higher bandwidth. There has to be a reason for that. Here's an image of the RTX 2080 ti PCB.
DSC_0145-Custom-1030x687.jpg

Notice they opted to leave a space blank? If you could mix GDDR sizes, wouldnt ithave been better for them to use 10x1GB modules and 2x512MB mdeuls to notjustget their 11GB otal ut also get higher bandwidth over the 384-bit bus as opposed to a 352-bit bus?

And from what I know about PCs and DDR RAM, if you have different sizes of RAM, all the ones of identical size can work optimally in their dual channel mode, the ones that aren't of a similar size only work as single-channel RAM.
It is reduced like that for yield. The full version of this die only shows up in Titan products and has all 12 memory channels active.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

GameSpot has a list comparing specs of scarlet and ps5 based on public info...it says scarlet has a 1.6 clock on th zen 2. Where did they pull that bs number from? Lol

Edit: and it specifically says scarlet has 16 gigs of ram, what is going on?

LOL, they have Arcturus for the Scarlett GPU.

ok. Then can you answer this cause its got me stumped.

Can they mix different sizes of RAM with GDDR? Cause I don't think anyone has ever done it.

Yes, it's just impractical because of dead address space relative to the number of address bits. For example, with a 320-bit bus and 8Gb/4Gb chips, you would have (2^32)^10 address possibilities, but some of those addresses would map to addresses that didn't physically exist. It can also prevent you from storing things in efficient blocks if you like to spread it across chips. An example being that to exploit bandwidth of the memory, you could spread a texture out across all 10 chips in the same address range for each individual chip. However, some of those chips would have half of their address range "dead" in comparison to the other chips, making exploiting the parallel bus trickier.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
You don't find the humor in saying that the article will cause misinformation but also being the person to post it?

*throws lit match into forest* "Damn, that's gonna burn so many trees 😥"

*Walks into a fire station* "hey guys, can you believe people actually think that cotton candy is an effective way to put out fire?"

I walked into a thread with posters that know better, to share something funny. I would agree with you if I did this with any other thread

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
*Walks into a fire station* "hey guys, can you believe people actually think that cotton candy is an effective way to put out fire?"

I walked into a thread with posters that know better, to share something funny. I would agree with you if I did this with any other thread

Ok, I think you may have taken some kind of offense when I meant none. Also not everybody will read every post and lurkers take random posts from here and post them elsewhere, facts be damned. But I wasn't trying to knock you, I legitimately found it funny. Sorry if you feel some type of way.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Ok, I think you may have taken some kind of offense when I meant none. Also not everybody will read every post and lurkers take random posts from here and post them elsewhere, facts be damned. But I wasn't trying to knock you, I legitimately found it funny. Sorry if you feel some type of way.

My bad! No issue at all, it's easy misinterpret things through text. My apologies!

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the fall of gamespot. just wow. absolutely awful. anyone with half a brain wouldve done their research. simply inexcusable.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow that post by GameSpot. Loved that place when I first got into game forums in 2006 during peak Wii hype.

why would they even post that? I know the clicks but they'll get just as many without the 1TB, 1.6Ghz numbers and details.

Status
Not open for further replies.