• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
If you look at the statistics from PS3 to PS4. Next gen sku's largely outsold last gen sku's, and it was essentially the same situation. The people who drive first day sales, are the same people that drive launch console sales, who are the same people are well aware this time next year it's essentially a month from next gen release, who are the same people who are already aware of backwards compatibility, who are the same people who would delay buying a game a few months to get the definitive version with upgrades
Yup.... I have already sold my Pro and foregoing every release between now and next-gen. I am not the double-dip kinda guy, and you can only play a game for the first time once... I m gonna make sure that my first time is the best way to play it.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Nah man, it's Demon's Souls reimagined as an immersive sim FPS.

Lol, ironically, this is about the only way I could stomach news of a new Demons Souls remake.

Colony Wars would be awesome.

I see you, good sir, among many in here, are people of exquisite taste.

It's delightful and heartwarming to see all the Colony Wars love in this thread.

Was my favourite series from the PS1 era.

My money is on MAG/Warhawk. Sony needs its own FPS GAAS title battle royal type game too. If not one of those then definitely syphon filter.

I would have also said LOD, but that's too big of a project.

A new full proper Warhawk with complete SP campaign and 100% preserved PS3 WH flight mechanics would be AMAZING!!!

I would legit sell my kidney for a new Warhawk.

A Colony Wars reimagining would have me a day one purchaser.

Indeed.

fistbumprespek.gif

Okay I give up. It might not be Demon's Souls or MGS1 or MGS4. Or Killzone2, or Motorstorm.

It very well could be another Sony IP.

Syphon Filter (sorry I'm drunk)
Dark Cloud
Alundra
Warhawk
Colony Wars
Ark The Lad

or something else.

Day one to any one of the above.

Eh? I thought it was.

Did they hint at something else?

I honestly, have no idea. I'm just hoping it's not Demons Souls, because that would be such a dull and anti-climatic announcement. I couldn't think of a worse game to remake.

I realy hope it's not Demon's Souls remake tbh. Thus won't add anything to the PS5 at all. I know some want to play it again but this is not a good example to promote your new console. First the hardware is more than capable ti run the original game in Native 4k by emulation like seen from emulators. The game is just a spritual precursour to all thise similar soul games. The PS5 can play dark soul games, Bloodborne, Ni-Oh games, Shadow Die Twice and this won't be something very impactful to have because the genre has many similar games even GOW has combat close to it. The genre is getting tiring at some point (there is a thread about it).
The game and its similar games were never technical and graphical showcases to start with and even remaking them on PS5 won't fo any justice to them especially that Demon Souls has the gloomiest art style that is hard tobappreciate even in top notch graphics.
Another problem would be that if this game is under Sony's server supervision then the online features won't stay that long operating or not available at all since it's a remake.
Tbh, I don't think this the Bluepoint remake and Tidux has been wrong many times.
Where are the 2 PS4 games, 2 PS Now games of choice and 2 movies of choice after PS Plus price increase?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Sony's 360 Reality Audio solution for music is coming out this Fall. I'd really like to give it a try and hope they'll have demo units in stores. I'm very hopeful that this tech or a variant of it will make its way into the PS5 and into Wwise so the vast majority of games can support it. The tech is apparently software based so that'll make it easier to implement. A Sony rep did say they were exploring avenues for the tech beyond music and did mention gaming, but we haven't really heard anything else beyond that.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
If you look at the statistics from PS3 to PS4. Next gen sku's largely outsold last gen sku's, and it was essentially the same situation. The people who drive first day sales, are the same people that drive launch console sales, who are the same people are well aware this time next year it's essentially a month from next gen release, who are the same people who are already aware of backwards compatibility, who are the same people who would delay buying a game a few months to get the definitive version with upgrades

Additionally, I bet that the bolded stats don't paint the whole picture. A lot of the people who went with the last-gen version of one of those games just did so because they could. If the same game had been a next-gen exclusive instead, many of them may well have gone for it and a new console, whether because they really wanted that game or because a next-gen exclusive version may have been more impressive than what we actually got.

A new full proper Warhawk with complete SP campaign and 100% preserved PS3 WH flight mechanics would be AMAZING!!!

I would legit sell my kidney for a new Warhawk.

"We have Warhawk at home."
Warhawk at home:
cool-hawks-dont-look-at-explosions.jpg

xRaymne

Banned
Sep 20, 2019

I would legit sell my kidney for a new Warhawk

Man this so much. Warhawk was such a good game.

Everytime I rewatch my cringe youtube videos, I always notice how I've never played a diverse and well put together game as Warhawk. The flying mechanics alone warrants a remake.

Really hope to see Warhawk or a similar game on next gen consoles.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Warhawk has a niche audience I doubt that a lot of people are waiting for it. Or even know about it.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys a crazy thought .Klee said he had heard delay in 2017 to 2020 was because of BC and other stuff. What if in 2017 sony decided to add ps3 and ps2 and ps1 into the BC and it was not about ps4 BC ? We also recently heard ps5 is about future and past /legacy of platform and we all know adding ps3 to the mix needs tons of work . Could it be that ?hmmm

Jan 20, 2019
Guys a crazy thought .Klee said he had heard delay in 2017 to 2020 was because of BC and other stuff. What if in 2017 sony decided to add ps3 and ps2 and ps1 into the BC and it was not about ps4 BC ? We also recently heard ps5 is about future and past /legacy of platform and we all know adding ps3 to the mix needs tons of work . Could it be that ?hmmm

It is possible, it also makes sense from a financial prespective because either they are going to build 3 racks of ps3,ps4 and ps5 or just build one with the ps5 (PSNOW).

Even if it is only digital, it makes sense.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Additionally, I bet that the bolded stats don't paint the whole picture. A lot of the people who went with the last-gen version of one of those games just did so because they could. If the same game had been a next-gen exclusive instead, many of them may well have gone for it and a new console, whether because they really wanted that game or because a next-gen exclusive version may have been more impressive than what we actually got.

"We have Warhawk at home."
Warhawk at home:
cool-hawks-dont-look-at-explosions.jpg

Lol, where is this from?

Everytime I rewatch my cringe youtube videos, I always notice how I've never played a diverse and well put together game as Warhawk. The flying mechanics alone warrants a remake.

This brings back memories. Thanks for posting.

Warhawk has a niche audience I doubt that a lot of people are waiting for it. Or even know about it.

But we were passionate... we were passionate!!!

Oct 25, 2017
It is a possibility.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I realy hope it's not Demon's Souls remake tbh. Thus won't add anything to the PS5 at all.

disagree vehemently with this.

I know some want to play it again but this is not a good example to promote your new console. First the hardware is more than capable ti run the original game in Native 4k by emulation like seen from emulators.

The original game even "via emulators" (which very, very, VERY few people are using) cannot be played as intended because the servers were turned off by Sony in 2018. Multiplayer is completely broken, and multiplayer is an integral part of the game with invasions, co-op, messaging, and world tendency events.

The game is just a spritual precursour to all thise similar soul games. The PS5 can play dark soul games, Bloodborne, Ni-Oh games, Shadow Die Twice and this won't be something very impactful to have because the genre has many similar games even GOW has combat close to it.

Bloodborne was released 4 years ago and will be 5 years by the time this reimagining presumably releases. Dark Souls III will be 4 years old by the time this reimagining presumably releases. Ni-Oh and Sekiro play absolutely nothing like Demon's Souls at all.

More importantly, the PS4 is substantially more popular than the PS3 was- when Demon's Souls released in 2009, the PS3 was getting roundly and thoroughly destroyed in the west by the Xbox 360, and tens of millions of PS4 owners who might have been interested in playing the first Souls game were unaware it existed and never did. The game cannot be played even as intended on a PS5 with PS3 backwards compatibility, because once again the servers for that game were deactivated and the experience is irrevocably broken.

The game and its similar games were never technical and graphical showcases to start with and even remaking them on PS5 won't fo any justice to them especially that Demon Souls has the gloomiest art style that is hard tobappreciate even in top notch graphics.

the point of a reimagining is to fix this.

Another problem would be that if this game is under Sony's server supervision then the online features won't stay that long operating or not available at all since it's a remake.

Demon's Souls Servers were up from 2009 to 2018.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
disagree vehemently with this.

The original game even "via emulators" (which very, very, VERY few people are using) cannot be played as intended because the servers were turned off by Sony in 2018. Multiplayer is completely broken, and multiplayer is an integral part of the game with invasions, co-op, messaging, and world tendency events.

Bloodborne was released 4 years ago and will be 5 years by the time this reimagining presumably releases. Dark Souls III will be 4 years old by the time this reimagining presumably releases. Ni-Oh and Sekiro play absolutely nothing like Demon's Souls at all.

More importantly, the PS4 is substantially more popular than the PS3 was- when Demon's Souls released in 2009, the PS3 was getting roundly and thoroughly destroyed in the west by the Xbox 360, and tens of millions of PS4 owners who might have been interested in playing the first Souls game were unaware it existed and never did. The game cannot be played even as intended on a PS5 with PS3 backwards compatibility, because once again the servers for that game were deactivated and the experience is irrevocably broken.

the point of a reimagining is to fix this.

Demon's Souls Servers were up from 2009 to 2018.

In sum, if Sony are making a Demon Soul remake, they not gonna open new servers for it on PS5 especially with the meagre install base at launch first, second, their remasters didn't include online to start with (except TLOU).
Second, like what you said Demon Soul may have been a way to push more PS3 units to get sold but now it won't be the case especially that it will be remake of an older and known game, this won't move PS5 units, but on the contrary, if any remake of this game that has to be done, then it should look for an already established platform with great isntall base to sell itself and not the opposite. That is why a remake of this game on PS4 would have been more logical and wiser instead than on PS5.
Players by the launch of PS5 will moslty look for AAA sequels , new games and not a remake of 2 previous generations.
Sony executives really know what they do and it's up to them to decide whether this game deserves a remake on PS5 for lauchc or not.
Nothing is set in stones right now especially that is Tidux.
We have more reasons for it to not be the case than it happening.
I don't 100% rule the possibility of this game being remade some day but right now, I firmly don't think this the biggest reimagining of a game BluePoint are working on right. I really can't imagine how they gonna reimagine the whole game from scratch. They won't make it soemthign like The Witcher 3 for example beacusethe genre doesn't afford to, that is why I think this will be another game that has been with small scope is flexible enough to get a a new reboot with a new visions like with from old GOW games to the new reboot/sequel on PS4.

Last edited:

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In sum, if Sony are making a Demon Soul remake, they not gonna open new serevrs for it on PS5 especially with the meagre install base at launch first, second, their remasters didn't include online to start with (except TLOU).
Second, like what you said Demon Soul may have been a way to push more PS3 units to get sold but now it won't be the case especially that it will be remake of an older and known game, this won't move PS5 units, but on the contrary, if any remake of this game that has to be done, then it should look for an already established platform with great isntall base to sell itself and not the opposite. That is why a remake of this game on PS4 would have been more logical and wiser instead than on PS5.
Players by the launch of PS5 will moslty look for AAA sequels , new games and not a remake of 2 previous generations.
Sony executives really know what they do and it's up to them to decide whether this game deserves a remake on PS5 for lauchc or not.
I think you're underestimating how much a Demon's souls remake/reimagining on PS5 would sell. Especially if it restores and complete all the cut content.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
In sum, if Sony are making a Demon Soul remake, they not gonna open new serevrs for it on PS5 especially with the meagre install base at launch

??? Demon's Souls PS3 had dedicated servers for that game when Sony expected it to flop hard out of the gate. Like "not even bothering to release it in the west" flopping hard. Demon's Souls PS5 will sell quite well in comparison. There's no reason to believe that it would not, given that the branding of the Souls games is far stronger and Demons would actually have a marketing budget this time.

It's also possible Sony could retool the online to work around P2P, as Dark Souls did and not have to worry about maintaining dedicated servers.

first, second, their remasters didn't include online to start with (except TLOU).

Online is critical to demon's souls functioning as a game. You can't launch the title without it. And "those remasters didn't have online except for that one that outsold all of the rest of them" isn't quite the argument you think it is.

Second, like what you said Demon Soul may have been a way to push more PS3 units to get sold but now it won't be the case especially that it will be remake of an older and known game, this won't move PS5 units

This is crazy talk. First off as discussed- "Demon's Souls" is older but it is not a "known" game as much of the PS4 userbase never played the game. The PS4 will conservatively outsell the PS3 by somewhere around 50 million units, and the gap in the west where these games are most popular will be larger than in the east. The audience for the PS5 is expected to be equal or greater than that of the PS4. This is a very, very big potential audience that might be interested in the game.

Second, Souls games sell quite well, and there is no reason to believe that Bloodborne would move units but this one woudn't. There is almost always a serious dearth of quality software for platforms at launch- and the reimagining is a way to rectify this. It's an expansive game with high brand recognition that takes comparatively little investment from a budget perspective.

but on the contrary, if any remake of this game that has to be done, then it should look for an already established platform with great isntall base to sell itself and not the opposite. That is why a remake of this game on PS4 would have been more logical and wiser instead than on PS5.

This would be incorrect, since the PS4 has already sold as many units to the hardcore base (who are the ones most invested in souls games) as its going to. From here on out its moving consoles to the casual audience and to bargain hunters, which is where the PS2 was at this point in its lifespan after crossing 100m units. Of the 155 million units the PS2 sold, 55 million of those were sold after the PS3 launched and the PS2 only had budget software and ports on shelves.

That's not the audience that's going to be brought in by a Souls game. Demon's Souls WOULD be a good candidate to get the hardcore who might be inclined to wait a few months to grab one at launch, however.

The Last of Us PS4 remaster outselling the PS3 version of the game roundly disproves this.

Feb 10, 2018
Sure. but why cut the cache? why potentially go with this bizarre console design and hbm2 if you are not hoping to push clocks? the heatsink patent is very unusual too.

I mean two articles later they still havent confirmed GDDR6, why the secrecy?

Several different places.
  • Benji posted and deleted a tweet after saying the PS5 devkits were 13 tflops.
  • Tom Warren of The Verge at E3 posted a tweet saying the the PS5 devkits were 13 tflops.
  • Jason here said both Sony and MS were aiming above 10.7 tflops 'number' of Stadia.
  • if you want to hit 13 tflops you need 1.85 ghz with 56 CUs. 1.8 Ghz as we all know was the April Gonzalo leak. But around the same time, a 4 chan leak said the gpu clock was actually 1.85 ghz which gives us 13.2 tflops at 56 CU. its the first mention of 1.85 ghz.
  • Reiner and Colin said the PS5 devkits were more powerful after E3. More powerful than the Anaconda. Why would MS launch a sub ten tflops Anaconda? it was clearly over 10 tflops. which means the PS5 devkits were even higher.
  • Several die size estimates of the Scarlett apu pegged it at roughly 380mm2 which points to a much bigger GPU than the 251mm2 40 cu 5700 even after taking into account the zen 2 cpu.
  • kleegamefan's source said both are in the double digits. yes, its possible that they are both at 10 tflops exact, and top out at 10.9 tflops, but i am not buying the theory that both MS and Sony decided to go with 40 CU GPUs at 2.0 ghz. console makers go with wide and slow.
  • the PS4, PS4 Pro and X1X were all based on the x80 series GPUs and had even more CUs than what AMD shipped on PCs. Pro had 40 CUs with 4 disabled. X1X had 44 CUs with 4 disabled. More than the 480 and 580 respectively. I firmly believe we will see the same next gen. Especially now that they are no longer have to release weak $399 consoles without proper cooling solutions, or have to pay for $75 kinect cameras, or worry about selling both the Pro and X1x at a profit. They will both be willing to take losses in order to get a headstart and gain momentum.

I don't buy it, I just don't think it will be financially feasible to have a top of the line 60cu (56 active) AMD GPU in the box, even at 499.

This time around RAM, CPU and ssd are more expensive and don't forget the cooling.

I think the max they will go is 48cus (44 active).
Also there will be a balancing act of number of cu's and clock speed.

Your suggesting the upper limit of both high cu's and high clock speed, maybe at $599 with a $100 loss, but that just does not make sense.

Also take into account that a 13tf rdna2 gpu will be a flagship card for and in 2020, I doubt it will be cheaper then $549.

I don't know why some ppl think next gen will break the trend of console hardware being small and relatively low powered compared to high spec pc's.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
In sum, if Sony are making a Demon Soul remake, they not gonna open new servers for it on PS5 especially with the meagre install base at launch first, second, their remasters didn't include online to start with (except TLOU).
I don't 100% rule the possibility of this game being remade some day but right now, I firmly don't think this the biggest reimagining of a game BluePoint are working on right. I really can't imagine how they gonna reimagine the whole game from scratch. They won't make it soemthign like The Witcher 3 for example beacusethe genre doesn't afford to, that is why I think this will be another game that has been with small scope is flexible enough to get a a new reboot with a new visions like with from old GOW games to the new reboot/sequel on PS4.

You're so wrong lol

Soul's games are HUGE atm.

Soul's fans are hardcore. First adopters of a new console gen are hardcore.

The possibility to play the game that really started all will be huge within the Souls fanbase

Edit: Jason Shreier has all but confirmed it. It's happening

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
It's funny how expectations have changed.

12 GCN tflops used to be the gold standard for next gen.

But 8tflops rdna is more powerful then that.

So what changed?

If we get 8tflops it's still better then the 12tflops ppl were so excited about a year ago.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018

So what changed?

If we get 8tflops it's still better then the 12tflops ppl were so excited about a year ago.
2 yeas ago if you said that PS5/Next Xbox would have powerful 8 core/16 threads Ryzen, 12+GCN TF, SSD, Raytracing people would say you're lunactic.

Im so excited for next gen i can't wait(and i hope) DICE will release Bad Company 3 with ultimate destruction, 3d audio. It could be amazing. Also can't wait for next gen GTA 6.I hope it will be only for next gen consoles and PC. It will be the longest wait between GTA Series so im sure they're cooking something great there.

Don't forget that GTA 5 was made for PS3/Xbox 360 as the lowest common denominator so going from that hardware specs to next gen could be utterly mindblowing.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

So what changed?

In my case, this is just a question of trust. I lurk since 2001 on the old site. And I have seen some post of Kleegamefan since a long time in the beginning of the 2000's. When Zhuge verify his identity for me this was enough to believe him that traget spec are equal or above10Tflops for the two consoles.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017

Yea. Warhawk on PS3 was fucking dope. I would definitely vote for a remake/sequel.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
2 yeas ago if you said that PS5/Next Xbox would have powerful 8 core/16 threads Ryzen, 12+GCN TF, SSD, Raytracing people would say you're lunactic.

Im so excited for next gen i can't wait(and i hope) DICE will release Bad Company 3 with ultimate destruction, 3d audio. It could be amazing. Also can't wait for next gen GTA 6.I hope it will be only for next gen consoles and PC. It will be the longest wait between GTA Series so im sure they're cooking something great there.

Don't forget that GTA 5 was made for PS3/Xbox 360 as the lowest common denominator so going from that hardware specs to next gen could be utterly mindblowing.
Seriously, the SSD rumours were laughed out of the threads. Mentioning SSD would be an immediate discredit.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
It almost seems like some ppl still think 8tf gcn = 8tf rdna

Klee said 10 Tflops RDNA, that's all I need. I know how to read a benchmark and how powerful is a 5700 or 5700 XT. After you believe or not believe him. He did not earn my trust in 2 months but since nearly 18 years I read his post on the old site.

EDIT: After maybe the next-generation consoles will not be able to reach the target spec and one or the two consoles will be a little bit under 10 Tflops because he will have some confirmation during his travel to California.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Warhawk could totally be Sony's version of Battlefield if they played it right. With larger maps, more interactivity, etc a new game would be amazing.

That is if they go WH ps3 style. It was originally a single player flight game and was first demoed as such for the ps3 before the refocus on multiplayer. That woudl be interesting to see come back as well.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Klee is the 🐐. He stated the PS5 has a power edge, that both boxes will be above 10 TF, and that games will look 👌

Things change maybe in the future Xbox Scarlett have a slight power edge and if he said it changes, he will not be the best because Scarlett is a bit more powerful than PS5. The power differential is so low, it can change easily.

EDIT: Something funny some people prefer consoles at 7 RDNA and 7.5 RDNA Tflops if the favorite ecosystem would beat the other than having their favorite consoles at 10,0 Tflops and the other at 10,3 Tflops because of console war. This is stupid. I don't care, I prefer a PS5 at more than 10 Tflops with a Scarlett more powerful than PS5 than a PS5 at 7,5 Tflops and more powerful than Scarlett.

Last edited:

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
He said Scarlett has the edge?

He did not said it but this but this is possibility. The power differential is low, a last minute frequency change like with the Xbox One can reverse the power edge. And it doesn't matter, the two consoles looks like to be powerful, if one of the two piece of plastic is a bit above the other it does not matter.

I prefer a PS5 above 10 Tflops and less powerful than the Xbox Scarlett than a PS5 less than 10 Tflops but more powerful than Xbox Scarlett.

Last edited:

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
He did not said it but this but this is possibility. The power differential is low, a last minute frequency change like with the Xbox One can reverse the power edge. And it doesn't matter, the two consoles looks like to be powerful, if one of the two piece of plastic is a bit above the other it does not matter.

I prefer a PS5 above 10 Tflops and less powerful than the Xbox Scarlett than a PS5 less than 10 Tflops but more powerful than Xbox Scarlett.
Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.