• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that is interesting with MS changing there messaging slightly regarding the power of scarlett maybe they got wind of ps5 specs and are working away to try and meet or surpass them.

If the specs differences are "slight" it's certainly a possibility.
Maybe they will be like "we can't get more performance on the GPU but we could beat them with the CPU.

Is everything OK?

This is what I was told.

I did not expect this.

Please don't shoot the messenger.
🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐

Feb 10, 2018
A slightly more powerful console shouldn't matter to consumers that much (at least informed once). It'd to companies tho blasting most powerful console ads everywhere and at the reveal.

It could somewhat backfire if the difference does not actually produce anything real.

I don't think it will be the same but in the PS3 days Sony were talking big game with ps3 hardware but in actual reality the 360 was the console with the better looking multiplats.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I would love, love, love to hear more details concerning how Sony/Microsoft actually react or interact with each other when they engineer these new console generations.

Two times in a row, they will be launching together using the same tech.

This is no mere happenstance.

Rather than some sort of meeting or agreement between the two console makers, it seems far more likely that AMD's chip road map and manufacturing schedules dictate this timing and spec outcome.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
A slightly more powerful console shouldn't matter to consumers that much (at least informed once). It'd to companies tho posting most powerful console ads everywhere and at the reveal.
It does in a marketing point of view. Microsoft like to show that the X1X is the most powerful console on the market. That was their main selling approach.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It does in a marketing point of view. Microsoft like to show that the X1X is the most powerful console on the market. That was their main selling approach.
Does that really move the needle, though? I think, as usual, it'll come down to games and a slight advantage by one or the other won't matter. Especially to consumers dead set on brand loyalty.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
Does that really move the needle, though? I think, as usual, it'll come down to games and a slight advantage by one or the other won't matter. Especially to consumers dead set on brand loyalty.
It does in consumer prospective. Of course there are brand loyalists, people sticking to the same platform. And there's also people that just want the most powerful console on the market

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
PlayStation 5 is supposedly slightly more powerful than the Xbox Scarlett.

Slightly.
This is great news. Not because I like Sony or MS better but because after the One X and the way Microsoft had talked about Scarlett in the past, it's pretty clear that MS is aiming as high as possible in order to make the most powerful console around. If Sony has surpassed that, it means that both consoles are probably the biggest monsters Sony and MS could have built for the 2020 timeframe. 5% here, 5% there, who cares as long as we get the consoles we truly deserve.

don't understand why people think PS5 being more powerful is some sort of surprise. I said it way back every hardware advantage MS ever had over Sony was by releasing a year or more later. MS never demonstrated they can out power Sony when releasing at the same time.
Considering that out of four competing consoles (PS2 V Xbox, PS3 V 360, PS4 V One, and Pro V X), only one had launched at the same time, your data polling-based research needs more samples in order to be of any value :)

And the difference is so tiny 2160p against 2130p under heavy load is not a huge difference.
Not only that the difference is tiny, if one supports VSR and the other doesn't, it will probably make a bigger difference than having a 5% less or more powerful GPU.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
One thing that is interesting with MS changing there messaging slightly regarding the power of scarlett maybe they got wind of ps5 specs and are working away to try and meet or surpass them.

If the specs differences are "slight" it's certainly a possibility.
Maybe they will be like "we can't get more performance on the GPU but we could beat them with the CPU.
giphy.gif

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Good lord! Some mental gymnastics going on here...you know they're only bits of plastic right? Next gen will be great...regardless of platform of choice.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I just need the xbox to be white at launch, or my wife wont let me have it on my all white living room (ps5 would go somewhere else)

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If i would make a guess, Sony first party games will look incredible early on but MS first party will start to pull away by mid gen...

...if you play it on PC.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
Unless you're a stakeholder in Sony or Microsoft, this back and forth about what is likely to be an insignificant difference in performance is ridiculous.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So both will be very close anyway which is good because then we can get rid of all the crap that happened in the beginning of this gen. We'll have a high baseline for games then for sure and that's all that matters.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Ok, the consensus is that PS5 is slightly more powerful.

I think that we should all is ok with that. Slightly one way or the other is fine for me. I am getting the Scarlett for Halo and Forza. Will jump on PS5 for the next GT.

But for me, the next purchase needs to be a Atmos 7.1.4 receiver. I've got the OLED. Now I need the sound upgrade.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I wonder how well Scarlett will handle Flight Simulator 2020.

Yes, I know it's coming to Xbox One/X.

p.s. β€” Codemasters, if you guys are following this thread, please make DiRT Rally 3.0 for next-gen and PC, code it to target 8C/16T Zen 2!

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest there would be more meltdowns if scarlett ended up being more powerful.
Based on how these threads has been going, it really wouldn't.When at e3 it came out that the ps5 would be stronger, Matt had to step in and tell people his educated guess that scarlett is going to be more powerfull. After he did that the the thread went back to normal.

Feb 10, 2018
He's right though.

The campaign behind the last console, Xbox One X was based around power.

This narrative was compounded when Phil Spencer came out and said Xbox will set the benchmark for next gen consoles.

Finally Klobrille came out and said Scarlett will be more powerful.

An expectation was set.

And now the expectation has been set that the ps5 will be more powerful.

Feb 26, 2018
Again with the power talk. We already know that next gen consoles gonna be pretty similar on power level. Who cares if one of them is 10-15% more powerful?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
They are very close to each other, everyone will be getting a fantastic machine.

Let's please try to act with a measure of maturity here.

Feb 10, 2018
Based on an actual source with good information. It's just the instant speculation that scarlet could be more powerful in some other way that is so entertaining

I don't know why.
You really think the early dev kit klees and reiners source based there judgement on is represenitive of final hardware?

While I think it's likely the ps5 is more powerful, I don't think it's set in stone.

If I was a betting man I would bet PS5 is going to be more powerful but I'm not 100% convident it will be.

Jan 17, 2019
He's right though.

The campaign behind the last console, Xbox One X was based around power.

This narrative was compounded when Phil Spencer came out and said Xbox will set the benchmark for next gen consoles.

Finally Klobrille came out and said Scarlett will be more powerful.

An expectation was set.

Not just Klob, also a hmqgg, both of them knowing nothing about PS5.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why.
You really think the early dev kit klees and reiners source based there judgement on is represenitive of final hardware?

While I think it's likely the ps5 is more powerful, I don't think it's set in stone.

If I was a betting man I would bet PS5 is going to be more powerful but I'm not 100% convident it will be.
Correct, nothing is set in stone.

But speculating the opposite of what a source says ralleys such a response :D

This will only be funny if PS5 is more powerful and cheaper...again.
I feel like it would be more funny if it were the opposite. I just don't think it will happen again.

They'll be the same price with super similar specs most likely. The main differences being the Exclusives and subscription options.

Status
Not open for further replies.