• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
No DriftingSpirit agrees with me on this.
Not that it matters, nothing wrong with singular opinions here.

What your saying is rediculous anyway, because you fail to mention that console sales slow down at the end of the gen, the ps4 is an exception in this regard though.

I just don't really see the point in this conversation, when we disagree, weather if you care about it or not.
I just think there is potential for the X2 to do better than X1. We would have to see whether that is only by a little or a more notable amount, but I think it is at least feasible.

The X1's negative momentum was like a ball and chain through the entire gen. It sold out and what not at the very beginning because of new gen hype but it started to lag really quick. If the X2 starts with none of that negative momentum and is actually received well at launch, why wouldn't it be able to leg it out more than X1?

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
I just think there is potential for the X2 to do better than X1. We would have to see whether that is only by a little or a more notable amount, but I think it is at least feasible.

The X1's negative momentum was like a ball and chain through the entire gen. It sold out and what not at the very beginning because of new gen hype but it started to lag really quick. If the X2 starts with none of that negative momentum and is actually received well at launch, why wouldn't it be able to leg it out more than X1?
The Xbox brand is in a better spot than this gen's start, but still worse than at the end if the 360 era.

No new IPs to speak of, very few notable releases in general, and lost relevance in nearly all key markets.

Given PS5 will lock a lot of its user base in with BC, and MS's hardware agnostic approach, NextBox could definitely do worse than the XBone.

Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox brand is in a better spot than this gen's start, but still worse than at the end if the 360 era.

No new IPs to speak of, very few notable releases in general, and lost relevance in nearly all key markets.

Given PS5 will lock a lot of its user base in with BC, and MS's hardware agnostic approach, NextBox could definitely do worse than the XBone.
That isn't impossible either. I just think some of X1's misfortunes can be attributed to how poor its perception was. With that gone, I could see it potentially doing better. MS will definitely have to step it up with games though.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
That isn't impossible either. I just think some of X1's misfortunes can be attributed to how poor its perception was. With that gone, I could see it potentially doing better. MS will definitely have to step it up with games though.
Just a really big IF in that ill will being gone.

I was at a con in my country recently, a fairly enthusiast-oriented one, and the X was selling cheaper than the Pro.
I don't think their power oriented approach changed much if even techies aren't buying Xbox.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I said I think the scarlett will sell better in Europe then the X1, this talk of you implying I insinuated that scarlett will realisticly compete in sales with PS5 is you own fabrication.

When Somone says xbox will sell better in Europe, there's always a few who has to bring Sony into the conversation.

Not everything is a competition lol, both companies can be successful.
Never said both companies won't be successful. Just saying MS or Xbox measure of success won't be tied to their console sales. Which is indicative of the direction MS seems to be taking Xbox.

And you can't talk sales of any sort without talking about Sony/Playstation and MS/Xbox... they are in competition after all. One doing well in sales is usually at the expense of the other, you can dispute that all you want but its a fact. And I am saying, that unlike this gen, MS is going into next-gen giving people even fewer reasons to physically buy their console. And rather than talk on the points I have made to support my theory, you instead choose to turn it into some sort of console war nonsense.

Anyways I can see this is a touchy subject for you, so let's leave it alone.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Both consoles will be successful, PS5 will probably sell more, but both companies will make tonnes of money and everybody will be happy.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
Just an example, all these studios were bought so quickly, seemingly on a whim, that they still have to finish their previous PS4 commitments before they can even start working on Xbox exclusives
Lol at bolded.
How should it have been? Now developers know they don't have to worry about money and finding publishers for the next game. Obsidian and InXile already have a teams working on XGS games. Psychonauts 2 and Wasteland 3 got bigger budget thanks to MS. MS buying studios after TOW/P2/W3 release would have been worse for both parties. You think it's pretty realistic to find a developer who just released the game AND don't ANY contract with some publisher?

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
Lol at bolded.
How should it have been? Now developers know they don't have to worry about money and finding publishers for the next game. Obsidian and InXile already have a teams working on XGS games. Psychonauts 2 and Wasteland 3 got bigger budget thanks to MS. MS buying studios after TOW/P2/W3 release would have been worse for both parties. You think it's pretty realistic to find a developer who just released the game AND don't ANY contract with some publisher?
MS willingness to inflate game budgets and visions until projects implode is well reported.
The failed Obsidian Xbox exclusive (Stormland) is a big reason they could be bought for cheaper.

All these studios being bought at once to show off, irregardless of their previous commitments, is again a sign of poor management.
You're going to have to deal with redundancies, management changes, new hiring, new communication, new structuring, new overhead WHILE also developing and releasing a game, possibly with a third unrelated publisher in the mix.

A recent comparison, Sony buying Insomniac, happened AFTER they shipped their big game.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

I disagree. I just don't see it happening. And I will point out again (cause some people may take it the wrong way), this isn't because MS is not going to make great hardware or not have great IPs, or that they still won't be successful. This is just going off everything MS has been doing over the last like 2 years in preparation for the next Xbox.

To me, I think the elephant n the room s xcloud and gamepass. More importantly, if MS intends to have their exclusives on those platforms on day one with their physical/digital releases. Doing that makes it such that you have zero reasons to go out and spend another $500 for an Xbox console. It actually makes it stupid to do so if you are in a position where you can only buy one UHD console.

I think its clear that at some point MS pivoted and decided that Xbox is going to be a GAAS company. I could be wrong, but thats what everything they are ong seems to be suggesting. It's like them with surface computers... MS makes some of the best computers, but they are still primarily a windows company.

Don't et me wrong, I feel this is a smart move on ther part and is playing more to their strengths than anything, just don't see how people don't see how it will directly affect their physical hardware sales/presence. all me crazy, but it may even be possible at some point to install an xcloud app on your PS5 and play Xbox games.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
MS willingness to inflate game budgets and visions until projects implode is well reported.

The failed Obsidian Xbox exclusive (Stormland) is a big reason they could be bought for cheaper.

All these studios being bought at once to show off, irregardless of their previous commitments, is again a sign of poor management.
You're going to have to deal with redundancies, management changes, new hiring, new communication, new structuring, new overhead WHILE also developing and releasing a game, possibly with a third unrelated publisher in the mix.

A recent comparison, Sony buying Insomniac, happened AFTER they shipped thei big game.

I think MS will do better from the point of view of games next-generation but I think the big games will arrive maybe late in the generation out of the next Halo, Forza, Forza Horizon and The Playground games and AA Indie. It tooks one decade for Sony to arrive where the are now and the big games arrived mid PS3 gen with the first onw being Ucharted 2. And now games take longer to be made.

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. I just don't see it happening. And I will point out again (cause some people may take it the wrong way), this isn't because MS is not going to make great hardware or not have great IPs, or that they still won't be successful. This is just going off everything MS has been doing over the last like 2 years in preparation for the next Xbox.

To me, I think the elephant n the room s xcloud and gamepass. More importantly, if MS intends to have their exclusives on those platforms on day one with their physical/digital releases. Doing that makes it such that you have zero reasons to go out and spend another $500 for an Xbox console. It actually makes it stupid to do so if you are in a position where you can only buy one UHD console.

I think its clear that at some point MS pivoted and decided that Xbox is going to be a GAAS company. I could be wrong, but thats what everything they are ong seems to be suggesting. It's like them with surface computers... MS makes some of the best computers, but they are still primarily a windows company.

Don't et me wrong, I feel this is a smart move on ther part and is playing more to their strengths than anything, just don't see how people don't see how it will directly affect their physical hardware sales/presence. all me crazy, but it may even be possible at some point to install an xcloud app on your PS5 and play Xbox games.
No, I see what you're saying. I just don't think that impact will happen this soon. I see it as something that eventually happens down the line. For now, you'll still have the more traditional/casual folk buying consoles. MS still has a lot of promoting to do for stuff like GP, Xcloud, etc... It isn't entirely widespread across their fanbase and those just interested yet.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
I think MS will do better from the point of view of games next-generation but I think the big games will arrive maybe late in the generation out of the next Halo, Forza, Forza Horizon and The Playground games and AA Indie. It tooks one decade for Sony to arrive where the are now and the big games arrived mid PS3 gen with the first onw being Ucharted 2. And now games take longer to be made.
Sony had big titles before the PS3 era though.
Earlier they could afford fewer due to their market dominance and their industry ties.
Nintendo had plenty of titles throughout its history as well.

Even if we limit the discussion to the "blockbuster exclusive" era, with Uncharted 2, this still leaves MS a full decade behind their competitor.

The problem isn't the number of studios, it's the top down handling of them.
They have had years with a number of titles comparable to Sony/Nintendo, but rarely have they outshined them in hype, reviews or sales.
Plenty of devs have criticised MS's approach to development, in particular requesting features that would look good for their brand (Kinect support, multiplayer, coop...).

GP's day one strategy could dictate most game be GAAS to be profitable, as shown with Gears 5, for an easy example.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Earlier they could afford fewer due to their market dominance and their industry ties.

Even if we limit the discussion to the "blockbuster exclusive" era, with Uncharted 2, this still leaves MS a full decade behind their competitor.

They have had years with a number of titles comparable to Sony/Nintendo, but rarely have they outshined them in hype, reviews or sales.
Plenty of devs have criticised MS's approach to development, in particular requesting features that would look good for their brand (Kinect support, multiplayer, coop...).

GP's day one strategy could dictate most game be GAAS to be profitable, as shown with Gears 5, for an easy example.

I don't think so the Gamepass will probably make most of single player games to be AA more than AAA Sony is able to release a pretty good number of AAA games during a generation.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
I don't think so the Gamepass will probably make most of single player games to be AA more than AAA Sony is able to release a pretty good number of AAA games during a generation.
A "AA" focus is just speculation, while we've already seen plenty of GaaS coming from MS first party.

Even if AA became the focus, that still wouldn't prevent MS from making them GaaS titles, just on a lower budget.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
https://www.planet3dnow.de/vbulleti...s-eine-Uebersicht-der-neuen-AMD-CPUs-und-APUs

Look at OPN 100-000000004, the ES APU (13F9) has 32 MB L3 cache, 8C16T and 1.6/3.2Ghz base/boost clocks.

The OPN and PCI-ID 13F9 are same as AMD Flute.
Sample? Question s when was that addition made to his list, cause that OP was from june this year?

Then again I don't really get te flute leak, never followed it that much. So I don't even know how people know that it has a smaller cache. I am just trusting Era.

Oct 25, 2017
If both machines have similar power, pricing is going to be very interesting.

Also I wonder if this time the prices are reversed.

Ps5 499$ - Scarlet 399$

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
If both machines have similar power pricing is going to be very interesting.

Ps5 499$ - Scarlet 399$
Pricing is easily offset by other metrics such as target software revenue, etc. And PSN being the largest generator of the big 3, I think price is flexible enough where PlayStation will never give Xbox the price edge.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox isn't selling for less than $499

Lookat their last 2 major hardware release.

They aren't going to sell Next gen for less than X lol

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I'm less optimistic.

Discarding the studios that were already only doing Xbox exclusives, MS's major problem hasn't been having fewer games, but poorer games.
Their problem wasn't in numbers but in organization and planning.
Some planned titles got cancelled, or passed hands so many times as to become unrecognisable.

Buying up more studios may help getting more releases out, but it still leaves all those organisational problems.
Just an example, all these studios were bought so quickly, seemingly on a whim, that they still have to finish their previous PS4 commitments before they can even start working on Xbox exclusives.
I know this is somewhat of the next gen topic but I think what a higher number of internal studios does is give them some breathing room. It gives them room to keep things secret longer and delay titles that clearly need to be delayed. I think it's fair to say the future looks bright for XGS games. They have a lot of solid studios that now have the tools, the time and hopefully the freedom to do what they want.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Yea, it sucks that they turned single player only Gears into a GaaS because of Game Pass.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Was that perception still there years after the launch ?
PS3 show that you can turn things around but no matter what they did with XB it never fully recover in certain markets.
I think the problem is for certain markets it no longer really matter what XB does it's mindshare is gone hardware wise .
Which is one of the reasons why MS no longer tied there self to XB hardware .

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
I know this is somewhat of the next gen topic but I think what a higher number of internal studios does is give them some breathing room. It gives them room to keep things secret longer and delay titles that clearly need to be delayed. I think it's fair to say the future looks bright for XGS games. They have a lot of solid studios that now have the tools, the time and hopefully the freedom to do what they want.
Yeah, a fourth delay for Crackdown 3 would have really done the trick

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I'm less optimistic.

Discarding the studios that were already only doing Xbox exclusives, MS's major problem hasn't been having fewer games, but poorer games.
Their problem wasn't in numbers but in organization and planning.
Some planned titles got cancelled, or passed hands so many times as to become unrecognisable.

Buying up more studios may help getting more releases out, but it still leaves all those organisational problems.
Just an example, all these studios were bought so quickly, seemingly on a whim, that they still have to finish their previous PS4 commitments before they can even start working on Xbox exclusives.

This sounds like a narrative you've pulled out of thin air. Your example is them still having to finish PS4 commitments? That's silly, all of the purchased studios have multiple games in development and there would likely never have been a time where they didn't.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Xbox isn't selling for less than $499

Lookat their last 2 major hardware release.

They aren't going to sell Next gen for less than X lol

The same could be argued for the $399 PlayStation's this gen. Even Richard Leadbetter thinks it would be risky for Sony to rock that boat with PS5.

Most here think both will be at least $499 but I think most of this is based around a lot of exaggeration of the parts costs.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The same could be argued for the $399 PlayStation's this gen. Even Richard Leadbetter thinks it would be risky for Sony to rock that boat with PS5.

Most here think both will be at least $499 but I think most of this is based around a lot of exaggeration of the parts costs.

Truth is i in the $449 group but yeah people mostly for $499 or $399 .

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
This sounds like a narrative you've pulled out of thin air. Your example is them still having to finish PS4 commitments? That's silly, all of the purchased studios have multiple games in development and there would likely never have been a time where they didn't.
Getting acquired while in the middle of development is like a restaurant changing food supplier, owner, and a decent number of cooks and waiting staff in the middle of dinner service on a Saturday.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Yeah, a fourth delay for Crackdown 3 would have really done the trick
Well maybe who knows. Perhaps the project isn't announced so early and is cancelled and just becomes a future kotaku article. Also I put a few hours in to crackdown, the mp is a disgrace but there is fun to be had in the sp. That also wasn't a XGS team. Anyway, your comment doesn't change a thing I said.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Was that perception still there years after the launch ?
PS3 show that you can turn things around but no matter what they did with XB it never fully recover in certain markets.
I think the problem is for certain markets it no longer really matter what XB does it's mindshare is gone hardware wise .
Which is one of the reasons why MS no longer tied there self to XB hardware .

I don't think PS and Xbox are comparable in that regard because PS is going to be successful in certain markets no matter what. Xbox success is basically limited to a few markets.

Feb 10, 2018
Never said both companies won't be successful. Just saying MS or Xbox measure of success won't be tied to their console sales. Which is indicative of the direction MS seems to be taking Xbox.

And you can't talk sales of any sort without talking about Sony/Playstation and MS/Xbox... they are in competition after all. One doing well in sales is usually at the expense of the other, you can dispute that all you want but its a fact. And I am saying, that unlike this gen, MS is going into next-gen giving people even fewer reasons to physically buy their console. And rather than talk on the points I have made to support my theory, you instead choose to turn it into some sort of console war nonsense.

Anyways I can see this is a touchy subject for you, so let's leave it alone.

Not a touchy subject, it's just people won't read what I say and will try and mould the conversation to suit there stance,

For example if you read my first post on the subject I even say console sales won't improve drastically but sub count will.

And it is utterly bizarre that you say you can't talk sales without talking about PlayStation, you absolutely can, if Somone wants to talk about why a company will do better they are not obligated to talk about the competition.
If you wish to talk about how each company sales effect each other thats your choice, but that's not what I wanted to do and there's nothing wrong with that.
I did not wish to get into a Sony vs ms sales conversation, if you do then your welcome to, but I will be no part of it.

And you saying ms are giving ppl fewer reasons to buy there console is not necessarily true, there will certainly be more PC gamers who don't buy one, but that does not mean the console will sell less overall, its basically an impossible statement to make, no one knows how big an impact the games, services and hardware will make on console sales.

Last edited:

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Getting acquired while in the middle of development is like a restaurant changing food supplier, owner, and a decent number of cooks and waiting staff in the middle of dinner service on a Saturday.

Don't see how any of the announced games have been affected negatively. But sure, let's go with that.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If both machines have similar power, pricing is going to be very interesting.

Ps5 499$ - Scarlet 399$
If any company takes a loss on gaming hardware I can guarantee you that's Sony and not Ms and they proved it with the X . Gaming division importance is very different between these 2 companies hence allowance for taking loss on hardware is different between their organizational philosophy on that subject .

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
And you saying ms are giving ppl fewer reasons to buy there console is not necessarily true, there will certainly be more PC gamers who don't buy one, but that does not mean the console will sell less overall, its basically an impossible statement to make, no one knows how big an impact the games, services and hardware will make on console sales.
It's not impossible at all. At the beginning of last generation, there were no ways to play Xbox game without an Xbox.
Now there are. Selling the same amount is NOT a given. Selling more is even less of a given.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I think it we can assume the consoles perform similarly and don't include any extra stuff, we can assume the consoles will be the same price.

These bizarre and unfounded narratives are one of the things that makes this thread such a pain sometimes.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
Well maybe who knows. Perhaps the project isn't announced so early and is cancelled and just becomes a future kotaku article. Also I put a few hours in to crackdown, the mp is a disgrace but there is fun to be had in the sp. That also wasn't a XGS team. Anyway, your comment doesn't change a thing I said.
It changes in the fact that MS has been more than willing to delay several of its projects before the acquisitions.
Furthermore Sony was the one criticised for announcing its projects too early, NOT MS.

You are also ignoring the fact that Xbox exclusives were feature complete, but were criticised for being uninspired, boring or laden with micro transactions.
Having more studios does nothing to change that.

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it more like the owners of a restaurant switching hands? It may mean down the line that all those changes occur but that is up to the owners no?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

There really isn't. Sony is in a substantially stronger position than they were at the beginning of last generation, and vendor lock-in is greater. This means that Microsoft's job with the X2 is to convince PS4 owners to jump ship to Xbox if they want to "do better" than they did with the X1.

I don't really see how they do this, given that their first party offerings are still much weaker, and what they DO have can easily be played without buying the console. Since both consoles are reportedly running similar tech that means that there's no possibility of undercutting Sony on price, either.

The best case scenario is where they don't LOSE any more marketshare, but this is unlikely given that owning an Xbox to play its exclusives just isn't necessary anymore.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Not a touchy subject, it's just people won't read what I say and will try and mould the conversation to suit there stance,

For example if you read my first post on the subject I even say console sales won't improve drastically but sub count will.

And it is utterly bizarre that you say can't talk sales without talking about PlayStation, you absolutely can, if Somone wants to talk about why a company will do better they are not obligated to talk about the competition.
If you wish to talk about how each company sales effect each other that your choice, but that's not what I wanted to do and there's nothing wrong with that.

As for sales, again... I think you can't talk sales of a UHD console without talking about its "only" and "primary" competitor. Cause as history has clearly and repeatedly shown, how well one does affects the sales of the other. If MS sales improve in EU, it will be at the expense of sony PlayStation sales. I am not saying its impossible, just saying that it's unlikely, for the reasons I previously stated.

As for everything else... well, we will see I guess.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I think it we can assume the consoles perform similarly and don't include any extra stuff, we can assume the consoles will be the same price.

These bizarre and unfounded narratives are one of the things that makes this thread such a pain sometimes.

What going to be interesting is seeing the deals they make during the year .
This gen has showed that companies don't want to drop the price much any more but will to do deals to keep hardware sales up .
It crazy that we in PS4 6th year and it still $299 .

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
Don't see how any of the announced games have been affected negatively. But sure, let's go with that.
Most of the announced games aren't out, and devs can't easily comment on issues.
It might take years to even find reliable details

However, this is what happens with every merger in every industry: they are inherently distruptive.
Which is why you don't do them in the middle of key projects just to show off.

Feb 10, 2018

I personally think it will be $499 because klee has said they will be more powerful then 9.2tflops.

I think a $399 console would be more in the 7-8tflop range.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
Isn't it more like the owners of a restaurant switching hands? It may mean down the line that all those changes occur but that is up to the owners no?
Big corporations buying studios of hundreds of people in the middle of major projects is a little more complicated.

It's not like MS just leaves a big bag of money outside of Obsidian every month.

Edit: beside the fact that an ownership change alone, even for a small restaurant, is plenty disruptive.
No offense to restaurant workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.