• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
The problem I have with Stadia is where is the content and like Matt said they aren't a product company but a technology-driven company. They need content, before launch they needed to buy 10 to 15 studios and be ready for doing exclusive games.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He is fanboy too even at 50 years old. Don't be fooled.
Being a fanboy about the Xbox? It's fine. I'm probably a PS4 and Steam stan.

It's more about keeping the tech discussions at a more logical perspective. He was probably right that the teraflop count wont be as high as we first hoped. Also helped quash some fake leaks quickly thanks to his knowledge in a few areas.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
As opposed to now where you are paying for a revocable license for current games?

Is that what you mean?

How is that physical copy of Drive Club treating you these days?
I can only speak for myself, but as I was busy moving when the Driveclub servers were shut down, I decided to take this opportunity to give it a shot. It's fine. I just tried a DLC course that I'd never played before and got a trophy. No warning messages about not being able to connect or anything like that. I never played multiplayer much so I'm not really missing anything.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
Google is run by a constant desire to chase after shiny things, and nothing makes shiny things dirtier than the messy process of putting in hard work outside your core competency.

Google has said previously that they strictly shortlist their ideas for "shiny things" and acknowledge that of those that make it to production only 1 in 5 will succeed. It's part of their "model".

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

I wonder what's winning.

Screenshot-20191021-134610-Chrome-Beta.jpg

OP
OP
Mecha Meister

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I wonder what's winning.

Screenshot-20191021-134610-Chrome-Beta.jpg

It's currently [OT7] - nm.

When I first saw the ellipsis I wanted to cry because I thought the titles were too long to show up, I had to tediously copy and paste the poll responses and check them like 4 times because I made mistakes. On my PC I can hover over the ellipsis and it shows me what it is, but I'm not sure how you could do that on mobile devices.

kungfuian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
One of the things with streaming services like Stadia is what type of game will actually sell on them? At least the way their business model is designed I don't think the traditional $60 game works. The idea of paying full price for a traditional console style games doesn't sound that appealing to me (both due to lack of ownership and also/mainly because those types of experiences don't really translate well to the play anywhere mobile type experience it seems they will be going for). Plus some games are just better played on a big screen on local dedicated hardware

I don't see the $60 game selling well on that platform. If Stadia want to go mass market and get to all those phone users it seems small games, that are just a step up from those already made for the mobile market, stand a much better chance of success than say something like Assassins Creed. I have a feeling the $5 to $20 bite sized retro and indi game, and some free to play stuff, is what ends up working/selling.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Not wanting to backseat mod or anything, but should we make a rule on whether Stadia discussions should be included in the next OT?

The execution of these threads since the decision was taken to make it multiplatform hasn't exactly been great (and IMO the discussion would be better served being platform specific, but anyway...), and Stadia has plenty of it's own threads atm and just seems to be adding to the noise rather than boosting the signal, as it were.

Waddya think, Era?

kungfuian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Not wanting to backseat mod or anything, but should we make a rule on whether Stadia discussions should be included in the next OT?

The execution of these threads since the decision was taken to make it multiplatform hasn't exactly been great (and IMO the discussion would be better served being platform specific, but anyway...), and Stadia has plenty of it's own threads atm and just seems to be adding to the noise rather than boosting the signal, as it were.

Waddya think, Era?

I actually just posted something re Stadia but only as I saw the discussion had moved in that direction a bit. I actually agree with you! This thread seems mostly 'focused' on next gen tech/hardware and rumors. Although I suppose it's a bit muddy (Are talking about next gen business models too?) Anyway, I agree, I like the idea of keeping Stadia to it's own threads.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I actually just posted something re Stadia but only as I saw the discussion had moved in that direction a bit. I actually agree with you! This thread seems mostly 'focused' on next gen tech/hardware and rumors. Although I suppose it's a bit muddy (Are talking about next gen business models too?) Anyway, I agree, I like the idea of keeping Stadia to it's own threads.

Heh, yeah not aiming my comment at your post lol :)

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Google has said previously that they strictly shortlist their ideas for "shiny things" and acknowledge that of those that make it to production only 1 in 5 will succeed. It's part of their "model".
Yeah, "failure is a feature" is an internal refrain.

And ok, that's not without merit. But it sucks for consumers that put any faith in these failures.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I think stadia does need new builds. Isn't it Linux based - not straight windows anyway. Shouldn't be complicated to get a port done but any additional costs are still costs so some publishers will wait and see. Others will likely be incentivised by google to bring games

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
I can't fathom being excited for the Stadia.

Best case scenario, it works as advertised, minuscule lag, plenty of games, at launch you are still playing the exact same games you can play right now, but only a little bit worse.

Hell, you can't even play it away from home!
You'll need Wifi at launch AND a wired controller to your phone.

The future is here...

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
You pay $400-$500 for those consoles though. That's 40-50 months of Stadia if you subscribe all the time, which you don't need to do. There's also the online subscription on PS5/XB4. It's a better deal than you think for a lot of people.

That 400-500€ console is also a 4K movie player and media hub, has a wealth of exclusives and your current gen library. The need for online sub is subjective. For example, I only play Let It Die online, and since it's a FTP title it works without PS+. So, if you only play games like Fortnite, and Sony maintains their stance on PS5, you'll be able to play all FTP games online for free. Personally, I sub to PS+ mostly for monthly games, discounts, and cloud saves.

Plus, if 4K streaming for single player games require 10€/month, it's an added cost for SP gamers that doesn't exist on PS/XB platforms.

As opposed to now where you are paying for a revocable license for current games?

Is that what you mean?

How is that physical copy of Drive Club treating you these days?

Driveclub's servers will be shut on 31 March 2020, the game was just removed from the store a couple of months ago. You can play the game just fine, even after the servers are shut.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
In the latest issue of the Official Xbox Magazine (the November issue), Xbox's Aaron Greenberg talked about next gen. He promised a huge upgrade for the CPU, saying they want to not just focus on graphics improving, but also on the framerate.

"But, with the next-gen, I think you'll see a big upgrade in CPU, because we really want to make sure that you don't have any compromises with the framerates. Yes, we can do 4K, but we can also do 120 frames per second. So I think that type of capability will be something that people don't see today."

Once again focus on cpu upgrade not gpu...

Status
Not open for further replies.