• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Afro_DusT

Apr 11, 2018
Okay, so, just to recap, what is the general consensus of expectation as far as specs/power go for these upcoming consoles?

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Would it be worthwhile to wait another year to buy a tv? I won't be buying cutting edge tech, probably something in the 750-900 range.

Oct 27, 2017
You only need to say this a few more times before its officially revealed anyway

So true. February (my bet) can't come soon enough

But i love some crazy leaks previous to official announce that we have realized to be trure. Never gonna forget the draw on a paper from a chinese worker working on a assembly factory with a PS4 Pro (Neo at that time) sketch. Crazy and very fun

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Would it be worthwhile to wait another year to buy a tv? I won't be buying cutting edge tech, probably something in the 750-900 range.
The LG B8 Oled has continuously dropped to $900 this year. And it's a fantastic Oled tv.

For a few hundreds more, The B9 and C9 were $1200 And $1400 last week in Best Buy. The LG Oled tv's are honestly the best tv's you can get right now on the market.

I have the B8 and C9 and won't have to upgrade for the next 4-5 years. Look into that or see what Black Friday does for ya.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Not true at all.

I used to live in the UK (just moved to Canada), fast fibre broadband that might allow you to play Stadia without collapsing while others in your household are streaming Netflix, can cost upwards of £35 to £50 per month.

The majority of households that house the largest population of mainstream gamer segment simply aren't prepared to pay that much in the UK.

Sweet child. I have to pay $105 a month to Comcast to get unlimited internet.

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
The LG B8 Oled has continuously dropped to $900 this year. And it's a fantastic Oled tv.

For a few hundreds more, The B9 and C9 were $1200 And $1400 last week in Best Buy. The LG Oled tv's are honestly the best tv's you can get right now on the market.

I have the B8 and C9 and won't have to upgrade for the next 4-5 years. Look into that or see what Black Friday does for ya.

Hands down the Panasonic GZ2000 is the best TV you can get ATM.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

Agree. Plus the C9 has HDMI 2.1

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019

Is the E9 massively better?
Thinking of switching out my Samsung KS800, but worried next gen might make these TVs lacking.

Anything surprising like HDR on the horizon?

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018

I am trying to get the C9 for the PS5 for my birthday next year. I don't want an OLED now tho.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I have been playing Panzer Dragoon Orta from the original Xbox through Game Pass in 4K while I wait to play Outer Worlds later this week, and honestly one of the things that I am most interested in with Xbox Scarlett is how their backward compatibility team that all transitioned over to Scarlett work as announced at E3 will handle any enhancements and such. I can't believe that I missed this game before, as it is really fun and shouldn't look this good and clean on my 65" 4K TV in 2019 :) Playing this also saddens me a little that we don't seem to get as many gameplay focused larger budget games any more that are just arcade fun and not trying to check all of the current boxes in game development. Maybe there will be some next gen launch window game surprises that help to provide more of those experiences, but otherwise I will just have to play them through backwards compatibility I guess.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
120 fps is ideal for VR games right? i recently bought a ps vr thinking my pro could make them look better and perform smoother but man i nearly threw up after i moved around in blood and truth. it looks much better on higher resolutions but the motion sickness is still there. i think they will need to go to 120 fps or at least 90 fps to get rid of that.

I expect some 1080p 60 fps current gen games to run at 120 fps next gen at 1080p. they might have a 4k 60 fps mode for halo infinite since its cross gen and a 1080p 120 fps performance mode. 1440p is out of the question imo.

i had a very depressing experience trying to get gears to run at native 4k 60 fps yesterday. average framerate was 45 fps. had to bring it down to 1800p and set some settings at high instead of ultra, and while that got me around 60 fps, my pc was louder than my pro has ever been. i had to turn it down to 1440p to get the fans to cool down a bit. on 1440p i get an average of 75 fps on a rtx 2080 and i7 8700. the benchmark says im gpu bound so its not the cpu. i really dont see how they can run this game at 120 fps on a 9 tflops Navi GPU when an 11 tflops Nvidia GPU cant do it at 1440p. i will try to see if i can hit 120 fps on 1080p and medium settings.
Sadly, there's more to comfort in VR than simply fps. Sure, you need a good framerate, the higher the better, before anything else, but after that there's still a lot of challenges. For all the people in the early days saying VR legs aren't a thing, it does take some getting used to. The main suggestions are to not push yourself, and start out with VR titles that don't involve any movement. Maybe try something with teleport movement after you get used to VR a bit.

But yeah, 120 fps is ideal. PSVR runs at 120, but 90% of PSVR games are really running at 60 fps with head rotation interpolated to 120 fps. There's a few that run 90 fps, but I don't remember which ones. There's maybe one or two 120 native games.

Even how you move is critical. Personally, I can move forward, back, and strafe just fine, but turning took me a long time to get used to. I played through several games with snap turning, and there's still some I can't handle smooth turning on.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Did the mods said anything about having separate threads for next-gen consoles?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 is really going to help out these next gen VR games, particularly cause I am almost certain they will make them all high frames with VRR. Excited for that.

Last edited:

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Not the other way round?!
Yes.
At low resolution/high frame rate is when cpu dictates max fps as it might not be able to keep up with what the GPU is putting out. That's why you set res to 720-1080p when testing systems for cpu bottlenecks as the gpu is removed from the equation. At 1440-4k, gpu is usually the limiting factor.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
You want proof? (Not that I'm obligated to provide you with it, when you can just google it yourself)

Hyperoptic (my previous UK fibre provider): £45 per month for up to 900Mb (started on £26 150Mb per month but guess what? Playing Destiny 2 with my wife streaming Netflix was beyond what it could cope with---Protip: advertised speeds aren't anywhere near what you get in reality).

I disagree with this. I pay for 300 mbps and I get exactly that. Maybe you were using wifi? Then that's another story....

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I mean I'd say is kinda cheap lol

Specially for uk salaries

Lol, nooooo!!!

UK salaries ain't shit. Not with the cost of living and especially in London.

Ok, you can get 150Mb for 30€, i tough you are saying that minimum you could get was 45£

I had 150Mb originally. It wasn't enough.

Sweet child. I have to pay $105 a month to Comcast to get unlimited internet.

Yikes!

CAD or USD?

I disagree with this. I pay for 300 mbps and I get exactly that. Maybe you were using wifi? Then that's another story....

Nope.

It depends entirely on whether you have fibre to the home or fibre to the cabinet, and how far you are to the exchange.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This thread has me itching to upgrade to a Ryzen 2 from my 3570k. (So switching mobo and ram at the same time).

My plan was to hold until 2022 or so though and ride early next gen on ps5.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Okay, so, just to recap, what is the general consensus of expectation as far as specs/power go for these upcoming consoles?
Recent analysis from Digital Foundry suggests the GPU is going to be somewhere around twice as powerful as the XB1X GPU. CPU is going to be many more times as powerful as the current consoles. Nothing definitive on RAM, but 16gb seems likely.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, nooooo!!!

UK salaries ain't shit. Not with the cost of living and especially in London.

Come one man, I've worked in tech in the UK, salaries are double those in Spain, and cost of living in Barcelona is not too far off thanks to all the tourism we get.

Minimun wage is £8.21 per hour in the UK, which amounts to 9€ per hour,

In Spain it's 900€ per month, which amounts to 4.9€ per hour.

More data, average wage in the UK it's 3,704€ per month vs 1,886€ in Spain. (That's all before taxes)

Matemático

Banned
Mar 22, 2019
Brazil
Recent analysis from Digital Foundry suggests the GPU is going to be somewhere around twice as powerful as the XB1X GPU. CPU is going to be many more times as powerful as the current consoles. Nothing definitive on RAM, but 16gb seems likely.

4x Xbox One X CPU and 2x the GPU, with 16 GB RAM seems ok for U$499,90.

Xbox One X should be priced U$299,90 by now.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Come one man, I've worked in tech in the UK, salaries are double those in Spain, and cost of living in Barcelona is not too far off thanks to all the tourism we get.

Minimun wage is £8.21 per hour in the UK, which amounts to 9€ per hour,

In Spain it's 900€ per month, which amounts to 4.9€ per hour.

More data, average wage in the UK it's 3,704€ per month vs 1,886€ in Spain. (That's all before taxes)

Congrats for being among the top earners in the country.

Outside tech, salaries drop off considerably.

Tech and finance are the two single high paying professions in the UK anymore. Everything else pays shit... which is why I moved to Canada.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

16 GB of RAM just doesn't seem like enough. Assuming 4 is reserved for OS functions, then developers will have around 12 to work with.

4K textures will take up 6+ GB, and apparently RT requires quite a lot of RAM as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.