• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2019
I'm getting so bored of speculation. Will we hear anything about Scarlett at X019? If not I don't think I can wait until May.

I doubt it but I wonder why MS isn't talking more. It's not like they will cannibalize their business, there isn't much ground to be gained this gen. I'm no marketing guy but wouldn't it be smart to start people getting hyped for scarlet when Sony is being mostly quiet?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Has a poll for the new OT been discussed already?

It would be great if we could do a multiple choice "what news will break before OT8" poll. PS5 RAM configuration. RAM amounts for either. Formal announcement dates for either. Next-gen game footage. SSD capacity. Lots of possibilities!

At the current pace the new OT would last until around the end of January.
That's a pretty good poll Idea (though I'm not too thrilled about having a poll again due to excessive scrolling)

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be nice for them to say something at x019 just so we can have some tidbits leading into the new year.
My prediction is that we see:

1.) new gen game footage
2.) discussion from 1st party devs (awesome Power and easy to dev 4... etc)
3.) discussion from the hardware engineers (passion, hours, vision, dream, etc)
4.) re-iteration of hardware details with a few micro-nuggets thrown in for detectives.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
My opinion is that we see:

1.) new gen game footage
2.) discussion from 1st party devs (awesome Power and easy to dev 4... etc)
3.) discussion from the hardware engineers (passion, hours, vision, dream, etc)
4.) re-iteration of hardware details with a few micro-nuggets thrown in for detectives.

Say they've cancelled showing off the new pad in favour of that.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
If there is a new IP introduced at either X019 or The Game Awards this year, it'll definetly be running on a next gen console.

The PS4 & Xbox One have their final 2020 roadmap laid out and revealed already till Holiday 2020, doubt there's anymore exclusive current gen games left to release with roughly about a year left till launch of next gen.

Right now im just waiting for that tweet from Geoff Keighly telling us that there's a ton of World Premieres ready to be unveiled at TGA

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
If there is a new IP introduced at either X019 or The Game Awards this year, it'll definetly be running on a next gen console.

The PS4 & Xbox One have their final 2020 roadmap laid out and revealed already till Holiday 2020, doubt there's anymore exclusive current gen games left to release with roughly about a year left till launch of next gen.

Right now im just waiting for that tweet from Geoff Keighly telling us that there's a ton of World Premieres ready to be unveiled at TGA

You reckon MS\Sony have any leverage to let themselves show the first next gen footage?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt they'll announce the reveal event at XO19, it's too big a time frame. They won't want to lock themselves into a specific date so far out. Assuming it's about 3 months later.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
You reckon MS\Sony have any leverage to let themselves show the first next gen footage?

The consoles are pretty much known now with a solid release window, all most folks that dont care about the hardware side of things are eagerly waiting for that first true glimpse of next gen graphics, and why not show it at an event that had a total viewership of 26.2 million at their last showing and will probably increase more this year? Especially if MS wont show anything at X019.

I mean think about it, i highly doubt that either X019 or a one time event like a PS meeting 2020 will have more total viewers then TGA 2019, id be shocked if there even close, TGA is a behemoth at this point, and a damn good staging point to start next gen.

Imagine Sonys plan, show some next gen games at TGA = get people hyped for the PS meeting leave em wanting more at TGA.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are we certain no news from MS at X019? I think they would...
ms pretty much punted at e3. i would be very surprised if they bring the goods at x019. they dont seem to want to go before sony.
Smaller chip = cheaper chip

Say the target is 10TF, you can get there either by going wide with as many cUs as you can fit into the APU, or by going fast with fewer CUs.My guess is that cutting down the cache is a no brainer way to drastically cut down the size of the chip. Which doesn't just make that chip cheaper but makes it easier to clock higher.
the only problem i had with that is they couldve done that for the ps4 but chose not to. they went wide and slow. now granted their cooling solution will be much more expensive and advanced compared to the ps4, but why change now?

300 vs 350 mm2 is roughly 20%. i guess thats a decent amount of savings per console. im not too sure if thats a good idea though. sure you can clock it higher if the chip is smaller but looking at the simulating gonzalo graph, the tdp increases by over 60% when going from 1.6 ghz to 2.0 ghz and only gives a performance advantage of roughly 20%.

powerscalinggpuonly3pkch.png

if ms' console is indeed 360-380mm2 and they have more cus at 1.6 ghz then even if sony comes out on top with the overall numbers, i suspect scarlett will offer better performance because it seems the clockspeed gains start to diminish after a certain point.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
120 fps is ideal for VR games right? i recently bought a ps vr thinking my pro could make them look better and perform smoother but man i nearly threw up after i moved around in blood and truth. it looks much better on higher resolutions but the motion sickness is still there. i think they will need to go to 120 fps or at least 90 fps to get rid of that.

I expect some 1080p 60 fps current gen games to run at 120 fps next gen at 1080p. they might have a 4k 60 fps mode for halo infinite since its cross gen and a 1080p 120 fps performance mode. 1440p is out of the question imo.

i had a very depressing experience trying to get gears to run at native 4k 60 fps yesterday. average framerate was 45 fps. had to bring it down to 1800p and set some settings at high instead of ultra, and while that got me around 60 fps, my pc was louder than my pro has ever been. i had to turn it down to 1440p to get the fans to cool down a bit. on 1440p i get an average of 75 fps on a rtx 2080 and i7 8700. the benchmark says im gpu bound so its not the cpu. i really dont see how they can run this game at 120 fps on a 9 tflops Navi GPU when an 11 tflops Nvidia GPU cant do it at 1440p. i will try to see if i can hit 120 fps on 1080p and medium settings.
an update on this.

put the resolution down to 1080p and settings down to high, and got 145 average fps.

1440p on high goes all the way down to 105 fps, but i think with some optimizations and medium settings, next gen consoles could run current gen games at 60 fps as long as we are over 11 tflops of course. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.