• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
At first I thought we'd see cross-gen titles from Microsoft and Sony with their heavy hitters in the first year or two but now that we know they have implemented revolutionary SSDs I'm not so sure. Cross-gen games suddenly become a headache when half of the platforms cannot support your vision, so this is definitely one area where any first party exclusives could and should blow away any 3rd party multiplatform title.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle that with Halo Infinite.
I could definitely see a situation where first party complained about PS4 holding them back and Sony giving the go ahead to do PS5 only. I say Sony is full speed ahead with PS5 only development. PS4 is set for the rest of its life. It doesn't need more.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Bets on some first party titles getting a PS5/Scarlett patch near launch?

I imagine if they have a tech demo of Spider-Man leveraging the PS5's SSD, they may as well release it...
Spiderman patch is very likely because of the SSD demo, sony already messed up with days gone and uploaded a 4k60fps trailer in february, God of War has 4k mode and 60fps mode so i wont be surprised if they combine the two for a next gen patch.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Spiderman patch is very likely because of the SSD demo, sony already messed up with days gone and uploaded a 4k60fps trailer in february, God of War has 4k mode and 60fps mode so i wont be surprised if they combine the two for a next gen patch.
Do you have a story for the Days Gone snafu?

Spidey, Death Stranding, Maybe Forza Horizon 4, etc.

Everything except Bloodborne. :D

It would be cool, but honestly I love Bloodborne. It's perfect, frame pacing and all. It's my favorite game released this gen and I've come to terms with it being stand-alone. don't-give-me-hope-hawkeye dot gif

Jan 21, 2019

Those are some good guesses, I would add whatever Bluepoint is making, TLOU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima. (I hope Bloodborne though).

Why is the/a spec difference so important to many?

Would it change what console you purchase first? (for me: NO)

Is it the concern that games may look not as good as on the other console? (for me: NO)

Is it that your prefered platform holder has to "win" an artificial spec war? (for me: NO)

So what is it?

No one wants to get the short end of the stick. I'd hate to be stuck with an OG Xbox One. Basically, every game you get on that systems runs worse than on PS4 and PS4 is the bare minimum this gen. So you get lower res (tolerable) and more frequent drops and hitches. Who would want that? Since they will not be identical, I personally would want the PS5 to have an edge (but a very very small one, I don't want a big gap like PS4 and Xbox1). I will buy it either way but I would hate to know that in 4 years, most games will run worse than they could (possibly, who knows what's gonna happen next gen). Winning a console war is just stupid shit for 13 year old who can't detach their egos from their brand loyalty.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

I imagine if they have a tech demo of Spider-Man leveraging the PS5's SSD, they may as well release it...

Outside of a graphics patch, I don't see them allowing you to move as fast as they showed in the demo... it would break the game design!

Spiderman shouldn't be THAT fast, anyway.

The tech., however, bodes well for a Flash game from WB :-)

Also, as much as I really like what I'm seeing with Ghost of Tsushima, I kinda wish we were getting another InFamous (but with Cole and his electricity powers).

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
One thing I want to mention is that while a single TF difference from 9 to 10, or 10 to 11, won't make any significant visual difference, it's enough to run a very, very complex and heavy pathfinding system with room to spare, for instance.

Resogun was one of my favorite launch titles. This would be a perfect demonstrator of HDMI 2.1 to its fullest.

Probably still my most played game on the PS4. It's just so good and so replayable. I'm a sucker for arcade games, I'm old enough to have actually spent quite a lot of money on 'em arcades :D would love to get a balls to the wall, eye blistering port.

EDIT: I'll retract that and say that WipEout Omega Collection is, by now, my most played game on the PS4, but Resogun is a close second :D would love to get a WOC patch, too (or a new game, can we get a new game, that would be amazing, thank you).

Spidey, definitely. Everything that is getting a sequel at or near launch, likely - so, HZD and God of War, at least, they'll want to hype up these games and take them to spec so people who haven't played them yet get the chance and will be up to speed to play the sequels. Days Gone is quite likely, too.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Even if it is 11 TFlops, people will not be happy. I would say even at 13 TFlops people would not be happy when they will see the amount of RAM but 16GB is enough with 2GB/s SSD or more.

11 would be above Stadia (wich was also what Shreier said they were targeting) but RDNA, so I think people would be very happy.

In regards to Klee, if he says PS5 it's over 9.2TF I'm sure it's because it's so by a fair beat, so as not to get burned if they change the clocks at the last minute, so I'm pretty sure next gen SKU's will be 11-12TF

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Spidey, definitely. Everything that is getting a sequel at or near launch, likely - so, HZD and God of War, at least, they'll want to hype up these games and take them to spec so people who haven't played them yet get the chance and will be up to speed to play the sequels. Days Gone is quite likely, too.

A good marketing move would be to patch them and put them on plus before part 2 comes out .

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
At first I thought we'd see cross-gen titles from Microsoft and Sony with their heavy hitters in the first year or two but now that we know they have implemented revolutionary SSDs I'm not so sure. Cross-gen games suddenly become a headache when half of the platforms cannot support your vision, so this is definitely one area where any first party exclusives could and should blow away any 3rd party multiplatform title.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle that with Halo Infinite.
I expect MS to hold onto cross-gen development for a lot longer than sony. I see MS trying to use that as a way to "narrow" the market share gap between them and sony. Treating Xbox (XB1 and Scar) as a platform as opposed to two separate consoles.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Wanted to answer some general questions about what I saw.

Game was not shown behind closed doors at e3

Really early

Running on PS5

I didn't see Scarlett so I can't directly compare

Framerate wasn't always smooth....seemed to be in the 20-30fps range

Open world and the scope was unbelievable. Never seen anything like it...far beyond Witcher/BOTW/HZD

Even so, close up details were beyond anything I have seen before

Ray Traced reflections....looks really impressive

Dynamic destructable environments...this game is just WTF

When I asked him about the SSD, he got visably nervous. Didn't want to talk about it at all.

As good as it looks, I get the feeling this isn't a launch game, really early.

That's all I can think of for now.. I should be able to get more information when I go back in October. I will see if I can share anything else at that time.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

Really early

Running on PS5

Open world and the scope was unbelievable. Never seen anything like it...far beyond Witcher/BOTW/HZD

When I asked him about the SSD, he got visably nervous. Didn't want to talk about it at all.

That's all I can think of for now.. I should be able to get more information when I go back in October. I will see if I can share anything else at that time.

My man, you keep delivering them goods :D thank you very much, this sounds absolutely amazing. Scale/scope larger than Witcher/BOTW/HZD with dynamically destructible environments? Hopefully with persistent damage, since storage should allow that. Nuts. I need this.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Really early

Running on PS5

Thank you for this. Sounds amazing, and I heard framerate is one of those things that gets polished really late. Can't wait for the dynamic destruction.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I just want locked performance. I don't mind if a dev chooses 30 or 60 (I'd prefer 60 but yeah). Just don't give me poor performance with drops, stuttering, tearing, etc..
This. I know it always happens every generation and next will be no different, but you just think surely with all the power they can afford to cut back visuals a touch if they need to if it means smooth performance.. graphics are going to be insane regardless. I'm guessing less optimised visuals will always be a thing no matter how powerful the tech is and that it's a time issue for developers above all else. You just hope it will be different this time around. I know I'll be pretty pissed if Rocket League on next gen isn't 4K native 60 with no screen tearing.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Very interesting Klee sounds great. I guess Sony really do have actual PS5 hardware in the wild and have for a while?

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Really early

Running on PS5

Sent you a dm

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Really early

Running on PS5

This sounds incredible.
Not worried about framerate because framerate usually gets polished in late development.
Here we go

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

Really early

Running on PS5

Any developer hints? Not sure if you had clarified this earlier.

Sounds really impressive, that said I don't know how big I really want a game to be.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Really early

Running on PS5

Thank you so much for this! Info like this really helps to make the waiting more bearable. 😃

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017

Really early

Running on PS5

Destructible environments is huge. That's a game changer.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Can you elaborate on this? You mean the detail in the world? The size of the world/map? What were you shown as a comparison? What kinds of environments?

World detail of The Order 1886+miles long draw distance+fully dynamic world destruction + Ray Traced reflections.

It didn't look very polished like those nVidia/Unreal/Unity demos but at the same time beyond and I could imagine running on an Xbox One X or Pro

So yeah, not like a current game, but not like a GDC demo either. You would have to see it yourself to understand because I can't quite articulate it properly because I can't compare it to anything else.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
World detail of The Order 1886+miles long draw distance+fully dynamic world destruction + Ray Traced reflections.

It didn't look very polished like those nVidia/Unreal/Unity demos but at the same time beyond and I could imagine running on an Xbox One X or Pro

So yeah, not like a current game, but not like a GDC demo either. You would have to see it yourself to understand because I can't quite articulate it properly because I can't compare it to anything else.
Sounds like a very expensive production indeed if we're getting 1886 levels of detail in open world. Certainly looking forward to what next gen will bring but also tempering my expectations based on the first few years of PS4/XBO being very unspectacular.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Physically based rendering like 1886? Those textures were luscious.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

sounds incredible. Long draw distance and reduced pop in are critical for that immersive feeling. Gives me the image of something outside and vast and epic.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
We are not ready

source.gif

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal

PS5 exclusive or multiplaform? Just out of curiosity

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only ray traced reflections? That's a bit disappointing. I want my ray traced global illumination, if not at least ray traced ambient occlusion!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Beats me... I have suggested it before that at the end of the day, people will buy what they are already set to buy. regardless of power. If their chosen platform is weaker, they would just find some other metric to justify their purchase, PSplus, XBL, game pass, Exclusives, controller, OS...bla bla bla.

Yeah, people buy with emotions and justify with logic.
Do what makes you happy, it's fine.
Don't however, try and make others feel bad for making a different decision to you.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Kleegame fan is the second time I've heard someone become nervous talking about the PlayStation SSD.

There was the patent from earlier. Just what exactly is going on with it?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I still haven't read all the thread but maybe "What's past is prologue" refers to full PS3 BC support?

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018

Really early

Running on PS5

Man I can't even imagine next naughty dog linear project running on PS5. Gonna be mind blowing!

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Speaking of new games-Sabi is reliable leaker(mostly Nintendo games),she gave us bunch of stuff before MS E3 conference in June:

Status
Not open for further replies.