• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way is going to customers like that, I don't know why people are running with that thought

Oct 31, 2017
ECbAcWmXsAEF0-i

ECbAj38XsAAptEV
😳 That's a lot of vents!

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It really confirms 2000.0MHz clock speed for the GPU and pretty high clock for CPU too (3.6GHz maybe?)

It maybe does for the dev kit, but how the hell are they going to manage heat in the consumer model. If this thing needs this many vents now, they gotta have something planned cause you can't have that many in a production unit. That would restrict design a lot

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Cool dev.kit I guess. The only thing that excites me is the fact that actual honest to goodness dev kits are going out in console form factor. Not PCs with estimated specs.

Dec 31, 2017
or sony is opting for a new never been done before type of cooling (cause they have a patent for it) which could explain a performance advantage while still being a "sony sized" console.

Or its possible sony ends up only having a GPU advantage and MS has a CPU advantage, or neither has an advantage.
I somehow doubt that Sony reinvented cooling when computer companies have been at it for years and even the One X didn't reinvent the wheel in that department.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The v venting is actually a good solution to people blocking the sides/top of the console with shit up against it, more surface area open.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't been in this thread for a long while, so any new info?
How are the next gen consoles stacking up against each other?

Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't been in this thread for a long while, so any new info?
How are the next gen consoles stacking up against each other?
They will be very close but one may have a slight edge. 9-10TF RDNA seems to be the minimum for both now.

We also got some game impressions from Klee (who has been verified by Zhuge). This is a 3rd party game running on Unreal.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
They will be very close but one may have a slight edge. 9-10TF RDNA seems to be the minimum for both now.

We also got some game impressions from Klee (who has been verified by Zhuge). This is a 3rd party game running on Unreal.

minimum!? i am pretty sure that is maximum!

hell 10tflops GCU was my upper bounds, let alone 14

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

And 9-10TF RDNA is equivalent to how many regular TFs? 12-13?
And holy shit at those impressions!

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
PS4 Pro devkit looks way cooler than retail console.

hpjayyr8yj211.jpg
NO.
I somehow doubt that Sony reinvented cooling when computer companies have been at it for years and even the One X didn't reinvent the wheel in that department.
So because someone has been doing something for years someone else an't come and do it better? Just sound like GM talking about Tesla.

Anyways, here is the thing about sony's patent for cooling. Its not something that can exist in the PC space because it requires that the chip is built a specific way. The chip will have channels that conduct heat to a heat plate on the other side of the PCB. PCs segmented nature means something like that isn't going to happen. Unless we are talking about laptops, and believe me when I say those guys have doe some creative things with regards to laptop cooling. Hell there are laptops with a full desktop i9 CPU and a 2080 GPU...

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
NO.

So because someone has been doing something for years someone else an't come and do it better? Just sound like GM talking about Tesla.

Anyways, here is the thing about sony's patent for cooling. Its not something that can exist in the PC space because it requires that the chip is built a specific way. The chip will have channels that conduct heat to a heat plate on the other side of the PCB. PCs segmented nature means something like that isn't going to happen. Unless we are talking about laptops, and believe me when I say those guys have doe some creative things with regards to laptop cooling. Hell there are laptops with a full desktop i9 CPU and a 2080 GPU...
I'm glad you brought up laptops. Whenever people say "you can't cool that!" When the figures get too high they never seem to take into account gaming laptops. You can get laptop with with a dedicated 1050ti and i7-7700 for a thousand Canadian. I can't imagine the tdp of that thing and it doesn't seem to explode in a tight package

Oct 25, 2017
minimum!? i am pretty sure that is maximum!

hell 10tflops GCU was my upper bounds, let alone 14
Nah, it is more the minimum now going off the discussion the last few days/week. Klee also says both are above 9.2TF.

And 9-10TF RDNA is equivalent to how many regular TFs? 12-13?
And holy shit at those impressions!
Something like ~14TF GCN. There isn't really a 1:1 comparison to be made between RDNA/GCN but yeah. We're getting some very solid consoles.

Stop being pessimistic and writing 9 breh, we at a full 10TF minimum.
I even had it at just 10 at first lmao.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I'm glad you brought up laptops. Whenever people say "you can't cool that!" When the figures get too high they never seem to take into account gaming laptops. You can get laptop with with a dedicated 1050ti and i7-7700 for a thousand Canadian. I can't imagine the tdp of that thing and it doesn't seem to explode in a tight package

Asus Zephyrus S GX701GX is, like, 2cm thick, and manages to dissipate and cool 200W. MSI GE75 8SG Raider is less than 3cm thick and cools 255W.

Dec 31, 2017
NO.

And those laptops throttle, and the ones that don't as much are thick or super loud, there is no way around the physical limitations here.

And by the way, I do own a Tesla, awesome car by the way!

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
No one could see the devkit in the Wired interview. It was covered in a shroud.

Bad memory...

EDIT:

Then Cerny does the same thing on a next-gen devkit connected to a different TV. (The devkit, an early "low-speed" version, is concealed in a big silver tower, with no visible componentry.) What took 15 seconds now takes less than one: 0.8 seconds, to be exact.

It seems it was different version of devkit big silver tower

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
And those laptops throttle, and the ones that don't as much are thick or super loud, there is no way around the physical limitations here.

And by the way, I do own a Tesla, awesome car by the way!
Errrrr excuse, but a "laptop" that doesn't throttle, is still a laptop.And a console would at the very least be twice or thrice as thick as them, which should mean at the very least more room for better cooling.

The point though is that if they really wanted to invest as heavily in their cooling solutions as they do in other components of the console there is a lot of room for improvement. And while its just a patent (so we shouldn't put too much stock in it) what sony has shown to be willing to do with cooling is something no one else as done. If nothing else, its an acknowledgement that something "extra" needs to be done with regards to cooling, and thats not something we should dismiss.

It may end up just being a run off the mill vapor chamber cooler and nothing more, but if its some sort of worlds first solution that results in 30-40% better cooling then that right there is a game changer in of itself.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Asus Zephyrus S GX701GX is, like, 2cm thick, and manages to dissipate and cool 200W. MSI GE75 8SG Raider is less than 3cm thick and cools 255W.
Right, now obviously it's not going to cost anywhere near a gaming laptop on the low-end. But they're cooling dedicated hardware. As opposed to a console which already has an API designed for small form factor which is then further turned into a bespoke design...which fits in a space much larger than your typical laptop. That's not even counting laptops have batteries which produce heat and take space, which consoles (besides switch) obviously do not

Status
Not open for further replies.