• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That was a really stupid move. I expected it coming to ps4 within the year, boy was I wrong.

Part of reason why Sony was okay with it was because of Evolutions DriveClub and yeah we all know how that went.
If studios were decently into developing games for PS3 it was probably pretty hard to switch to ps4. They should have saved sly and puppeteer for PS4 but they sent them out to die when they could have hyped up a new system with a couple smaller titles and probably gotten those titles a lot more limelight like resogun got

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
And they whould have lose bilions of $ in the process, i dont think Microsoft whould aprove that.

Well, yeah, I was assuming it wouldn't have been billions, but I really have no idea how much they would have lost under that scenario. However, it really depends upon how badly MS wants to gain market share. All I can say is this - I think they have a MUCH better chance of eating into Sony's US marketshare with a cheaper and less powerful console than with an equivalently priced but more powerful console.

In other words, normal, non-era console players probably care a lot more about having a cheaper console than a more powerful console.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah, I was assuming it wouldn't have been billions, but I really have no idea how much they would have lost under that scenario. However, it really depends upon how badly MS wants to gain market share. All I can say is this - I think they have a MUCH better chance of eating into Sony's US marketshare with a cheaper and less powerful console than with an equivalently priced but more powerful console.

In other words, normal, non-era console players probably care a lot more about having a cheaper console than a more powerful console.
X1 has been cheaper and it hasn't helped them catch Sony in US. I suppose we would have to see how it goes with the next Xbox not coming out the gate stumbling like X1 though.

I really think the comparison should just stay limited to MS. How much can they improve from X1 to the next Xbox? That is what should be examined. A comparison with Sony won't put them in the best light even if they do well.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If studios were decently into developing games for PS3 it was probably pretty hard to switch to ps4. They should have saved sly and puppeteer for PS4 but they sent them out to die when they could have hyped up a new system with a couple smaller titles and probably gotten those titles a lot more limelight like resogun got
The PS3 was such a difficult system that it would be hard, but then again Naughty Dog remastered The last of us in 12 months?

Could you imagine if they released Rain, Sly and Puppeteer on PS4 launch day? It would have done far better than they did.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
The PS3 was such a difficult system that it would be hard, but then again Naughty Dog remastered The last of us in 12 months?

Could you imagine if they released Rain, Sly and Puppeteer on PS4 launch day? It would have done far better than they did.

I was sold out for months but I see what you're saying. Ports later on would have been welcome too.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Era->Gearnuke->reddit->Era: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/cujwoz/unknown_ambitious_rpg_in_development/

Edit: What the hell? Why does the article writer post a screenshot about Project Awakening and label it as the infamous next-gen game? Does he really think this game is next-gent worthy?

CyGames is a JP company and Kleegamefan confirmed the game is not Japanese anyway. I would be very very disappointed if a next-gen game ends up looking like that tbh. The game is for PS4 anyway.
Kleegamefan made clear description about how good the game looks and I trust him.

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
CDPR said that Stadia version will launch "at the later date in 2020",not together with PC/PS4/XB1 versions next April.

Would be interesting if it launches together with next gen consoles.
Rockstar took their time to release GTA V on actual gen. I am sure they will release a next gen version. A relaunch at full price with the 1st DLC is my guess, and I don't think the first DLC will release in 2020.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Am I the only to bypass Cyberpunk 2077 until next generation release?
Hell no, me too. Awkward part is that my best friedlmd has a very beefy rig and won't be waiting, and my wife doesn't care about graphics and performance so much so she's getting it day one too to play on our way the PS4. So it'll be a robust GH few months for me lol

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Thanks Senpai, you're the coolest.

9RVDKyQ.jpg

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
X1 has been cheaper and it hasn't helped them catch Sony in US. I suppose we would have to see how it goes with the next Xbox not coming out the gate stumbling like X1 though.

I really think the comparison should just stay limited to MS. How much can they improve from X1 to the next Xbox? That is what should be examined. A comparison with Sony won't put them in the best light even if they do well.
It seems wrong to state XBox One is cheaper when they fumble out with a $100 higher price tag at 2013 and remain at $500 until 2015. By removing Kinect at 2015, XBox One is a weaker console priced similar to a $400 PS4.

2 years is a long waiting time.

Matic

Oct 25, 2017
It seems wrong to state XBox One is cheaper when they fumble out with a $100 higher price tag at 2013 and remain at $500 until 2015. By removing Kinect at 2015, XBox One is a weaker console priced similar to a $400 PS4.

Well this is factually wrong as MS dropped price of Xbox one June 2014 so 7 months after release.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
I
Imho Stadia is not a competition, I don't know who would pay 60$ for streaming one game ? Also, even in lowest 9.2tf navi gpu expectation for nextgen consoles it's still 1.25x faster than stadia gpu (and you said we should expect doube digit so difference will be probably bigger).
I would play 60$ for streaming one game... I don't have a gaming PC and I don't plan on getting one, so if there is a PC exclusive that I want to play, Stadia is a great option.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
I

I would play 60$ for streaming one game... I don't have a gaming PC and I don't plan on getting one, so if there is a PC exclusive that I want to play, Stadia is a great option.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that coding is different for pc and stadia so it not guaranteed that stadia will get pc exclusive games.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
I
Imho Stadia is not a competition, I don't know who would pay 60$ for streaming one game ? Also, even in lowest 9.2tf navi gpu expectation for nextgen consoles it's still 1.25x faster than stadia gpu (and you said we should expect doube digit so difference will be probably bigger).
You are some special guy for sure ;d But yeah, will probably play Baldurs Gate 3 this way.
I'm pretty sure I will be pay for the next Civilization if it ever comes to Stadia xD

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Era->Gearnuke->reddit->Era: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/cujwoz/unknown_ambitious_rpg_in_development/

Edit: What the hell? Why does the article writer post a screenshot about Project Awakening and label it as the infamous next-gen game? Does he really think this game is next-gent worthy?

CyGames is a JP company and Kleegamefan confirmed the game is not Japanese anyway. I would be very very disappointed if a next-gen game ends up looking like that tbh. The game is for PS4 anyway.
Kleegamefan made clear description about how good the game looks and I trust him.
I think he just grabbed a random pretty screenshot that most people won't recognise. Can't post an article without a screen these days =P

I wonder what the game could be though? EA have Dragon Age as their RPG series in development, so I doubt it's an EA game if it's a new IP. Ubi have the AC series and newly announced Gods and Monsters as in-progress RPG releases. Bethesda have Starfield. Maybe Acti/Blizz have something new in the works? They could certainly use a big push.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I remember something like that too, but still why would you shape it like that? Unless there are two APUs in there

Maybe this rev of the dev kit doesn't have an APU. I think early PS4 kits had separate cpu/gpu before eventually converging to a APU.

Or maybe something else that isn't obvious from the external design is going on with the airflow internally to make sense of cooling one chip. Maybe there's a radiator that splays off in two directions with two airflows covering the extremities. Although I've no idea if that makes sense.

Oct 25, 2017

Between 2013 to now, X1 has been cheaper more of that time compared to PS4. There is nothing to argue about that. It is a fact.

Like I did with the PS3. I will not purchase a single game in 2020 on the PS4. Hell I am going to sell my PS4pro in December then g on my usual pre-new gen gaming hiatus. Did it for the PS2, PS3 and PS5.
I think I'm going through the same thing now. I figured it was just me going through a funk and just not being into gaming as much compared to before (which is true), but I also think it is just wanting that next gen feel. Once that hits, my gaming time will probably go up quite a bit.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this rate, I'd be happy with more news on Navi 12 just so we can see how higher CU count scales on Navi and what's theoretically possible on next gen console GPU. I reckon it will include a 52CU GPU which will match or surpass RTX 2080 performance and a 56CU GPU to compete with the RTX 2080 Super

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Gamescom and Hotchips past by.

Positive: AMD released the RDNA Whitepaper to the public.
Negative: Nothing else

Next stop X019.
The talks will become publicly viewable in the next few months, but we weren't expecting huge reveals anyway.

Also, looks like dev kit has gone mainstream now. Just saw Dave Gibson retweet it. The thirst will only grow.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Like I did with the PS3. I will not purchase a single game in 2020 on the PS4. Hell I am going to sell my PS4pro in December then g on my usual pre-new gen gaming hiatus. Did it for the PS2, PS3 and PS5.
You're smart and patient. Meanwhile I get some sick pleasure out of double dipping since I want a few last great rides with my old console. Got sly 4, tlou, ratchet nexus, beyond 2 souls, GTA 5, and puppeteer in 2013 then double dipped on 3 of them lol

Status
Not open for further replies.