• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
PS4 APU was 348mm2, over 100mm2 bigger than the PS3 on a smaller process. 300mm2 would be pushing it even for 7nm wouldn't it? Unless it doesn't really work that way.

PS3 was almost 500mm^2 on first revision @90nm:
forum.beyond3d.com

Console Die Sizes

CPU (mm^2) GPU (mm^2) Process (nm)Microsoft Xbox CPU GPU Process Transistors CPU1/NV2A1 90 128 180/150 28M/60M Xbox 360 CPU GPU EDRAM Process Transistors Xenon/Zephyr 176 182 80 90/90/90 165M/232M/100M...

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Yup, maybe we are miss-translating something, maybe the GPU part is 300mm^2 which fits 48CU really well?
There is no magic around this, the minimum you will need for a 40CU GPU + 8C zen 2 CPU is at least around ~320mm2. And for 48Cu it would be around 350mm2.

So if the PS5 APU is now supposedly around 300mm2, then it means we are looking at 36CU APU and they will still have to disable like 4CU so we end up with 32 active.

That will flat out be the dumbest thing in the world that I think sony could do. And I can't think of one reason they would do it even if they are pushing for 2Ghz that will only net them like 8TF.

just makes absolutely zero sense.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
There is no magic around this, the minimum you will need for a 40CU GPU + 8C zen 2 CPU is at least around ~320mm2. And for 48Cu it would be around 350mm2.

So if the PS5 APU is now supposedly around 300mm2, then it means we are looking at 36CU APU and they will still have to disable like 4CU so we end up with 32 active.

That will flat out be the dumbest thing in the world that I think sony could do. And I can't think of one reason they would do it even if they are pushing for 2Ghz that will only net them like 8TF.

just makes absolutely zero sense.

This made no sense at all, better to take it as a rumor.

Sep 28, 2019
This 300²mm Talk realy makes me feel uncomfortable...
I could not accept an 8Tf PS5 .... pls someone make it go away by using some expert knowledge :/

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
My biggest concern next gen is Sony shying away from blockbuster exclusives. Clearly Sony was directly competing with Xbox in the PS360 gen for the hottest exclusives. This resulted in Sony buying up some great studios and making some amazing games. This carried well into the PS4, but Xbox stopped putting up the fight, focusing more on services than on exclusives (not say Gears and Forza Horizon arent incredible in their own right).
That to me could take the heat off of Sony to create AMAZING games and they wont feel as much pressure to created top-of-the-line exclusive games. At this point their biggest exclusive competition is with Nintendo, but the Switch isnt a direct competitor which further muddles the need to create big exclusives.
I just really like exclusive games whether they come from Sony, MS, or Nintendo. These games basically need to bring their A game because they dont have the financial benefit of being on other consoles. These are either showstoppers (God of War, BotW, Forza Horizon) or games that give a unique flair to that console (Bloodborne, Octopath Traveler, State of Decay). To me they can be the best of gaming and I would hate for that need to outdo each other in terms of softweare to go away.
I am far more interested in what Sony's response to Breath of the Wild will be than what services they will be providing to beat out MS.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
PS4 APU was 348mm2, over 100mm2 bigger than the PS3 on a smaller process. 300mm2 would be pushing it even for 7nm wouldn't it? Unless it doesn't really work that way.
PS3 - GPU 258mm^2 + CPU 235mm^2 = 493mm^2
360 - GPU (with EDRAM) 262mm^2 + CPU 176mm^2 = 438mm^2
PS4 - APU - 348mm^2
One - APU - 363mm^2
Pro - APU - 320mm^2
X - APU - 360mm^2

Sep 28, 2019
Fuck i read that ptt link myself... now iam even more uncomfortable...
If they know what they Talk about PS5 realy seems to be a 8Tf machine...
And waht about those RT Cores? They would also eat up space on that 300²mm, right?!

Aug 26, 2019
My biggest concern next gen is Sony shying away from blockbuster exclusives. Clearly Sony was directly competing with Xbox in the PS360 gen for the hottest exclusives. This resulted in Sony buying up some great studios and making some amazing games. This carried well into the PS4, but Xbox stopped putting up the fight, focusing more on services than on exclusives (not say Gears and Forza Horizon arent incredible in their own right).
That to me could take the heat off of Sony to create AMAZING games and they wont feel as much pressure to created top-of-the-line exclusive games. At this point their biggest exclusive competition is with Nintendo, but the Switch isnt a direct competitor which further muddles the need to create big exclusives.
I just really like exclusive games whether they come from Sony, MS, or Nintendo. These games basically need to bring their A game because they dont have the financial benefit of being on other consoles. These are either showstoppers (God of War, BotW, Forza Horizon) or games that give a unique flair to that console (Bloodborne, Octopath Traveler, State of Decay). To me they can be the best of gaming and I would hate for that need to outdo each other in terms of softweare to go away.
I am far more interested in what Sony's response to Breath of the Wild will be than what services they will be providing to beat out MS.
You have absolutely nothing to worry about (even though he's not with them anymore, I think that this is the direction they're going in):

Sony's Shawn Layden wants fewer, bigger PlayStation games

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
But now we are back to a super reliable person on this forum saying the difference between ps5 and nextbox is less than difference between PS4 and of X1. So things aren't adding up, either one or the is wrong OR Microsoft is doing some real funky stuff on the die like they did with X1. Or ps5 is doing something funky to shrink the die needed.

Edit: simplest solution is that one of these insider things is wrong. And I have no reason to believe that kleegamefan is wrong or has innacurate info. Another possible scenario, die size for ps5 is final and diesize for nextbox is devkit?

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck i read that ptt link myself... now iam even more uncomfortable...
If they know what they Talk about PS5 realy seems to be a 8Tf machine...
And waht about those RT Cores? They would also eat up space on that 300²mm, right?!
The original post does not say any thing about the size of the APU. There is a post written by someone else that is claiming sizes with zero actual evidence or proof - and most likely regurgitated from here.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
PS3 - GPU 258mm^2 + CPU 235mm^2 = 493mm^2
360 - GPU (with EDRAM) 262mm^2 + CPU 176mm^2 = 438mm^2
PS4 - APU - 348mm^2
One - APU - 363mm^2
Pro - APU - 320mm^2
X - APU - 360mm^2

How is the PS4 Pro APU smaller than the PS4 yet the console itself is almost twice as big and twice as heavy as the PS4? Also how XB O X APU the biggest yet the final console the smallest among all?

The original post does not say any thing about the size of the APU. There is a post written by someone else that is claiming sizes with zero actual evidence or proof - and most likely regurgitated from here.

No way the PS5 die size will be the smallest if it is the strongest console.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
But now we are back to a super reliable person on this forum saying the difference between ps5 and nextbox is less than difference between PS4 and of X1. So things aren't adding up, either one or the is wrong OR Microsoft is doing some real funky stuff on the die like they did with X1. Or ps5 is doing something funky to shrink the die needed.

Edit: simplest solution is that one of these insider things is wrong. And I have no reason to believe that kleegamefan is wrong or has innacurate info. Another possible scenario, die size for ps5 is final and diesize for nextbox is devkit?

From what it is told on the chinese forum, production of Arden is more advanced than Oberon, Oberon is only on the early verification step. One guy gives is true identity, another guy is a random chinese poster.

This is the same poster.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
You have absolutely nothing to worry about (even though he's not with them anymore, I think that this is the direction they're going in):

Sony's Shawn Layden wants fewer, bigger PlayStation games

I am not sure it is that useful to cite a guy in Shawn Layden that clearly left under some not good conditions for whatever reason given that he and Sony have still not added anything else to the record after the terse 9/30 tweet about his departure. Of course I would expect that Sony will push exclusives in a big way, but Layden's prior vision as articulated in that article may or may not be fully in line with Jim Ryan's vision currently.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
From what it is told on the chinese forum, production of Arden is more advanced than Oberon, Oberon is only on the early verification step. One guy gives is true identity, another guy is a random chinese poster.

This is the same poster.
Doesn't that confuse things more? It's not like the ps5 die is going to grow. Honestly if klee hadn't said they were so similiar this would make more sense lol

thuway

Oct 27, 2017

This is the same poster.
Are we sure it's a good idea to take their die size figures?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel

You can have a larger die but the same GPU power. For instance, one company removed more cache from the CPU or one of them has a wider bus size. The easiest example is the One vs PS4. PS4 was more powerful and had more CUs but the One had a bigger and more expensive die because of the ESRAM.

How is the PS4 Pro APU smaller than the PS4 yet the console itself is almost twice as big and twice as heavy as the PS4? Also how XB O X APU the biggest yet the final console the smallest among all?
Die size isn't really a metric which converts into a console's size, weight or noise; too many variables :)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all should stop worrying about power. Matt said both will be lit just like he said PS5 had ray tracing hardware.

I am not sure it is that useful to cite a guy in Shawn Layden that clearly left under some not good conditions for whatever reason given that he and Sony have still not added anything else to the record after the terse 9/30 tweet about his departure. Of course I would expect that Sony will push exclusives in a big way, but Layden's prior vision as articulated in that article may or may not be fully in line with Jim Ryan's vision currently.

Yeah I would throw out anything Layden said. I feel pretty certain he is gone because his vision clashed with Ryan's.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
You can have a larger die but the same GPU power. For instance, one company removed more cache from the CPU or one of them has a wider bus size. The easiest example is the One vs PS4. PS4 was more powerful and had more CUs but the One had a bigger and more expensive die because of the ESRAM.

I don't think there is a metric which converts die size to a console size, weight or noise :)

So could this be essentially "covered" by ps5 haven't quartered the cache and a smaller bus whilst Xbox has full cache and wider bus?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Are we sure it's a good idea to take their die size figures?

Like always this is the internet, this is a rumor. This is not like Arden and Oberon were not known codename. The only rumor I trust comes from my friend, some benchmark and codename from Komachi, APISAK and Matt and Klee rumor. And Matt confirms today the two consoles' performance are nearly the same and it seems the spec is finalized.

If Sony can do a 10+Tflops console + RT with 300 mm2 die size and 8 cores 16 threads Zen 2, this is cool and the console will cost 400 dollars but it seems not very realistic.

Nov 30, 2017
Ive probably been out of the loop but would a 9TF RDNA = 11.25TF GCN

Factor in the rest like Zen, SSD, memory, RT and optimizations and wouldnt that be an impressive machine able to poop 4K graphics @30fps?

Or am I way off?

Plus thats factoring in what Ill call the hype factor. Which is we always overestimate what well get and underestimte what can be done with it..

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

this is a good question lol.

i think the x1x vapor chamber cooling might not require a big heatsink or a large fan. but i dont know for sure.

the x1x had more ram too.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't someone(Matt?) said in here that the difference between PS5 and Scarlett is as close as XB1 vs XB1S(he doesn't said which one is power of course)?

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Like always this is the internet, this is a rumor. This is not like Arden and Oberon were not known codename. The only rumor I trust comes from my friend, some benchmark and codename from Komachi, APISAK and Matt and Klee rumor. And Matt confirms today the two consoles' performance are nearly the same and it seems the spec is finalized.

If Sony can do a 10+Tflops console + RT with 300 mm2 die size and 8 cores 16 threads Zen 2, this is cool and the console will cost 400 dollars but it seems not very realistic.
Wait what did MatT c(nfjrm today

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Wait what did MatT c(nfjrm today

Matt and it seems specs are now final

Klee again
www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT6| - Mostly Fan Noise and Hot Air

The selective install stuff is nice. I'm curious if this is there way of prepping us for a low storage SSD future.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
So could this be essentially "covered" by ps5 haven't quartered the cache and a smaller bus whilst Xbox has full cache and wider bus?
Generally speaking - yes. 320-bit bus (which we saw in the Scarlett CGI E3 video) will cost about 20mm^2 extra die space vs a 256-bit bus (which we saw in the Flute leak) and I saw people here talk about gaining ~30mm^2 from reducing the cache so the total size difference can be ~50mm^2.

But there are too many variables, who knows what kind of custom stuff Sony and Microsoft have in their APUs. Who knew before last gen was announced that MS will spend so much die space on ESRAM. Just take a look at how much die space they've used (SRAM on the right side of the die):
XB1SOC-2.jpg

If you had a leak last gen that told you Xbox is going to have a 363mm^2 APU and PS4 will have 348mm^2 APU you would have immediately assumed that Xbox is going to be more powerful. You would have never guessed that the PS4 is both smaller in die size and 40% more powerful.

Last edited:

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Generally speaking - yes. 320-bit bus (which we saw in the Scarlett CGI E3 video) will cost about 20mm^2 extra die space vs a 256-bit bus (which we saw in the Flute leak) and I saw people here talk about gaining ~30mm^2 from reducing the cache so the total size difference can be ~50mm^2.

But there are too many variables, who knows what kind of custom stuff Sony and Microsoft have in their APUs. Who knew before last gen was announced that MS will spend so much die space on ESRAM. Just take a look at how much die space they've used (SRAM on the right side of the die):
XB1SOC-2.jpg

If you had a leak last gen that told you Xbox is going to have a 363mm^2 APU and PS4 will have 348mm^2 APU you would have immidiatly assumed that Xbox is going to be more powerful. You would have never guessed that the PS4 is both smaller in die size and 40% more powerful.
Interesting, thank you. Possibly found the point of difference in die size, possibly. Now I've been hearing conflicting things about th cache. Some have said it's a big deal if one is full zen 2 and the other is cut down. Others have said that much cache (as would be on full zen2) would be unnecessary on a console

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
Dont we have estimated ps5 devkit dimensions? Doesn't that give us an approximation of internal hardware/ apu size? ... honest question. Not an expert on this subject.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Interesting, thank you. Possibly found the point of difference in die size, possibly. Now I've been hearing conflicting things about th cache. Some have said it's a big deal if one is full zen 2 and the other is cut down. Others have said that much cache (as would be on full zen2) would be unnecessary on a console
Honestly? I don't know what kind of impact the removal of the cache will have on console gaming, if one of them left it in (or just more of it) then it probably has benefits, MS and Sony have great engineers that wouldn't leave it in and waste 30mm^2 just for the fun of it :)

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019
It is not the engineers.. the Problem are as always the blacksuits..
Fuck them if they are purposely exchange the jaguar bottleneck with the bottleneck of beeing right from the start classified as entry Level hardware in regards of PC Gaming..
Right with PS5 will ship also the next Set of Navi Desktop GPUs.
They just cant do this again... they just cant..

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I would like to think the exclusives makes them money. And making money is all the incentive they would need.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

Two words... Vapor Chamber.

It is not the engineers.. the Problem are as always the blacksuits..
Fuck them if they are purposely exchange the jaguar bottleneck with the bottleneck of beeing right from the start classified as entry Level hardware in regards of PC Gaming..
Right with PS5 will ship also the next Set of Navi Desktop GPUs.
They just cant do this again... they just cant..
8TF $399 PS5 vs 11TF $499 Scarlet confirmed!!

Alright folks, pack it up. MS has taken this one.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
So the rumour also that xbox us further along in design, anything we can take from that?
something something sony doomed something.
Lets just hope those Die Space Infos are wrong..
I wonder how sony feels knowing they are going into the new-gen conceding a near 50% power advantage to MS. Obviously they must have ot seen the effect that had on the XB1 and all those DF/Review videos for the first 4 years of this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.