• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mseditor

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
I think cutscene character will be perfect next-gen, Tommie Earl Jenkins in Death Stranding
EJeWfKcXsAIRkAZ
I think at least in real time cutscenes we will get characters models not far from that ones created by digital domain studio in unreal engine 4.

Oct 25, 2017
nah, unlike most peeps here, I feel having the same cpu, memory, ssd, but a weaker gpu focused at 1080p instead of its bigger brother at 4k, will cause hardly any issues. It'll also help peeps to convert faster with the cheaper price point.
Yeah, I don't know why everyone seems so stuck on the notion that a system with >1/3 gpu for rendering 1/4 the pixels is going to hold back a generation.

I think the overhead would be fine.

People are just too attached to the X' 6TF number to accept a drop even though Lockhart isn't for X owners.

Feb 10, 2018
Yeah, I don't know why everyone seems so stuck on the notion that a system with >1/3 gpu for rendering 1/4 the pixels is going to hold back a generation.

I think the overhead would be fine.

People are just too attached to the X' 6TF number to accept a drop even though Lockhart isn't for X owners.

Yes, it does not make sense, history has shown us that games to scale very well with resolution and gpu power.
Theres a ton of proof demonstrating this.
The switch is like a 1/4 of the PS4's power and the switch being able to play current gen games is not holding back ps4 games at all.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
As long as the CPU, RAM and SSDs are the same, i don't think an hypothetical Lockhart would hold back Scarlett/PS5.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
3rd party next gen already looking like it has to cater all the way back to 1.3 TF base consoles with what we are hearing from Microsoft, unless we assume that they are only speaking for 1st party dev teams.

Oct 25, 2017
3rd party next gen already looking like it has to cater all the way back to 1.3 TF base consoles with what we are hearing from Microsoft, unless we assume that they are only speaking for 1st party dev teams.
It'd just apply to their 1st party. 3rd party won't have to do that and they wouldn't have a reason to anyway.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

3rd party will drop this gen in a year or 2 at the most for most big AAA games.
Indies will stay longer so will sports and F2P games.

Feb 10, 2018
Booty and Spencer have talked about how they are not leaving Xbox one behind. It's going to be a long cross gen, likely for everyone due to this type of mentality.

It's one hell of a stretch to extrapolate that 3rd parties will have to make there games work on the X1S if they want to make scarlett games.
Based on what booty and Spencer have said I see no reason to think this.

3rd party will drop this gen in a year or 2 at the most for most big AAA games.
Indies will stay longer so will sports and F2P games.

Yes I agree, but ms or Sony won't mandate that 3rd parties can't make next gen exclusive games.

Feb 10, 2018
It'd just apply to their 1st party. 3rd party won't have to do that and they wouldn't have a reason to anyway.

I don't think it will be some requirement.
MS won't be like "your post scarlett launch games have to work on the x1" to there studios.
I think it will depend on what the studio wants to make, if they want to make a scarlett exclusive leveraging the cutting edge I'm sure they would be able to, if they want to make a game which is possible on the x1 they will be able to do so.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
While Microsoft looks to be scaling their games with OG XB1 in mind, I don't think the base PS4 will hold PS5 back.

I am also really glad that Battlefield 6 will not be rushed to meet the launch of next gen consoles.
It won't be out until 2021, and hopefully a full year after. So BF6 will likely be next-gen only, until BF4 which not only had 360/PS3 versions, but suffered a lot online until it was fixed over time.

Feb 10, 2018
It's going to be interesting what happens with indies and smaller games next gen, I mean would a game like "inside" really benefit from all the power next gen systems will have?

Sure it would be cool having ray traced shadows and lighting and stuff but the game would still be great on x1, ps4, Heck even switch.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Scale-up, devs don't scale down games most of the time.
That's a context and time-frame dependant thing - I wouldn't generalize it either way. My reply was specifically in the context of GPU utilization where you mentioned it being harder than CPU/etc. scale-up.
The visual results will always suffer relative to the platform you're up/down scaling to of course(as you note later on), so it's just a question of priorities.

And it's precisely why I said the early adopters will be almost exclusively biggest-budget productions, where as everyone else will take their time with it this time around, possibly a good long while.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
That's a context and time-frame dependant thing - I wouldn't generalize it either way. My reply was specifically in the context of GPU utilization where you mentioned it being harder than CPU/etc. scale-up.
The visual results will always suffer relative to the platform you're up/down scaling to of course(as you note later on), so it's just a question of priorities.

And it's precisely why I said the early adopters will be almost exclusively biggest-budget productions, where as everyone else will take their time with it this time around, possibly a good long while.

My sentence was not correct, I wanted to say it is the easiet task to scale down on GPU side.

Scale down from the GPU point of view is the least difficult task but from the CPU and SSD, it is more difficult.

I wanted to say scale down from the GPU is the easiest task, it is much more difficult on CPU and SSD side.

EDIT: For example, game design with an SSD in mind must play like Star Citizen on HDD been nearly unplayable. I can imagine some scenes with some transition between interior and exterior in Spiderman without hiding anything with a cutscene. It is directly impacting the level design, the same with the CPU.

On the GPU side some solutions can be found but it demands some work like degrading shader, reworking assets modifiy scene made with ao and rt shadows in mind.

Last edited:

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
but MS are being ambiguous enough that we can't infer anything specific from it

eg you can keep your xb1S it use it as a client to stream Scarlett games that would not be possible to play locally - perhaps that is what MS hopes to do with existing users? They could use the Xb1 dash for Notifications and buying things in the store so it'd be richer than a simple streaming app on a phone and saves people buying new streaming boxes

Right, I'm not definitively saying how it will happen. I'm just summing up what they're presenting.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
It's one hell of a stretch to extrapolate that 3rd parties will have to make there games work on the X1S if they want to make scarlett games.
Yea I'm failing to see what MS (or anyone else) would stand to gain from this either.

Reality is that hw-tail with active game-players is longest and biggest we've ever had to date - so for any project that 'doesn't' have budgets in hundreds of millions of $ - support for the host of legacy, mobile and other low-performance platforms will be a commercial necessity, not some platform-holder clause. But it'd be idiotic to hamstring those that want to or can afford the risks of targeting nexgen alone.

Oct 25, 2017
MS won't be like "your post scarlett launch games have to work on the x1" to there studios.
I think it will depend on what the studio wants to make, if they want to make a scarlett exclusive leveraging the cutting edge I'm sure they would be able to, if they want to make a game which is possible on the x1 they will be able to do so.
I don't know, I think it would be closer to a requirement with a few studios (the big ones like 343 and Coalition) having more freedom. MS bought smaller studios with smaller games already in production. It would make more sense for them to just let them continue down that path because it flows well with Game Pass. Game Pass is the only reason MS wants to hang on to this gen. So, games that can support that level of hardware would have to be mandated to an extent within their first party. Otherwise, who exactly would be supporting X1?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's what he is saying, regarding 1st party at the very least:

"When Scarlett launches, there will still be the Xbox One S and X out there. We need to approach that family of devices in the same way we approach PC, where the content scales to meet the device"

he has not said "mandate", nor have I so you can drop that straw man. It is clear from his and Spencer's comments they do not want to drop that family.

Feb 10, 2018
I don't know, I think it would be closer to a requirement with a few studios (the big ones like 343 and Coalition) having more freedom. MS bought smaller studios with smaller games already in production. It would make more sense for them to just let them continue down that path because it flows well with Game Pass. Game Pass is the only reason MS wants to hang on to this gen. So, games that can support that level of hardware would have to be mandated to an extent within their first party. Otherwise, who exactly would be supporting X1?

If a smaller dev really wanted to do a scarlett exclusive and ms saying "no sorry you can't" would go completely against the grain of what Phil + Co have been saying regarding xbox game studious.
I think any xgs game in 2021 or later that is cross gen would be because the studio wanted it to be not because they were forced.
While ms will support where there customers spend money, they know that they can't cater to this audience forever.
Sony will also be faced with this problem.

Aug 26, 2019
I'll be damned if Fable or Gears 6 is cross-gen. I actually don't think that's a terrible strategy to let the bigger games be next-gen exclusives and the smaller games be cross-gen.

You just really can't let a huge project like Fable be constrained by 2013 mid-range hardware. It's going to shackle the devs.

Feb 10, 2018
Yeah, that's what he is saying, regarding 1st party at the very least:

"When Scarlett launches, there will still be the Xbox One S and X out there. We need to approach that family of devices in the same way we approach PC, where the content scales to meet the device"

he has not said "mandate", nor have I so you can drop that straw man. It is clear from his and Spencer's comments they do not want to drop that family.

The things is though that statement could apply to 1 game or 10.
I never said you said mandate, so please don't accuse me of something you are imagining.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I am not clear why he is worried about old hardware when they are launching Xcloud. If they are planning to string along some big games I may pick up an X for Black Friday. $350 with game + $40 in store credit plus play games well into next gen? maybe not all bad.

Aug 26, 2019
Yes, it's certainly interesting, I'm mean would the ps4 be a lesser console if all its early indies were also on ps3?
I don't think so. I think it should be as simple as this: if developer wants to do something that just isn't scaleable across generations, they can make a game that's exclusive to next-gen. A game like Gears 5, for example, could never be done on an Xbox 360. If the Coalition is doing stuff in Gears 6 that won't be possible on the One, then they can make it exclusive to Scarlett and don't have to worry about scaling down

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
nah, unlike most peeps here, I feel

There's a reason why everyone thinks differently than you.

It isn't because everyone else is wrong and you are right.

The GPU part of the APU is <$100. So if you're demanding everything else be identical then you're getting a crippled console IQ wise for ~20% off ($400 vs $500).

So either Lockhart is priced high and doesn't have a market or it cuts more corners than simply a reduced GPU. And if it cuts more corners than just the GPU then it absolutely will limit game design.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
I don't think so. I think it should be as simple as this: if developer wants to do something that just isn't scaleable across generations, they can make a game that's exclusive to next-gen. A game like Gears 5, for example, could never be done on an Xbox 360. If the Coalition is doing stuff in Gears 6 that won't be possible on the One, then they can make it exclusive to Scarlett and don't have to worry about scaling down

I agree, however it is important to have games for a new gen which differate from the old gen, unless platform holder are OK with a slower transition period which from a business perspective may actually be better then a fast transition.

Oct 25, 2017
If a smaller dev really wanted to do a scarlett exclusive and ms saying "no sorry you can't" would go completely against the grain of what Phil + Co have been saying regarding xbox game studious.
I think any xgs game in 2021 or later that is cross gen would be because the studio wanted it to be not because they were forced.
While ms will support where there customers spend money, they know that they can't cater to this audience forever.
Sony will also be faced with this problem.
That is what I'm saying though. Those smaller devs won't be making games that would need to be Scar exclusive anyway. They'll be making the type of games that would be fine running on X1 hardware and will just get a big bump from the Scar.

They'll have to cater to their Game Pass audience. The majority of that is on X1 right now. As long as that is the case, they have to keep their content coming for X1. The question is really about how GP subscribers will navigate the hardware options next gen. If they move over to Scar, MS will adjust their content accordingly.

Feb 10, 2018
That is what I'm saying though. Those smaller devs won't be making games that would need to be Scar exclusive anyway. They'll be making the type of games that would be fine running on X1 hardware and will just get a big bump from the Scar.

They'll have to cater to their Game Pass audience. The majority of that is on X1 right now. As long as that is the case, they have to keep their content coming for X1. The question is really about how GP subscribers will navigate the hardware options next gen. If they move over to Scar, MS will adjust their content accordingly.

Using that logic they could potentially be required to cater to the x1 market for another decade.
There will be a point where they want to move there customers to the next gen otherwise what's the point in next gen at all?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

Hrm, that's actually a good point.

Oct 25, 2017
Using that logic they could potentially be required to cater to the x1 market for another decade.
There will be a point where they want to move there customers to the next gen otherwise what's the point in next gen at all?
Of course MS will want them to. I'm just saying they will cater to the hardware that has the bulk of GP subs. For the time being, that is X1. We'll have to see how that possibly changes over the gen.

Feb 10, 2018
Of course MS will want them to. I'm just saying they will cater to the hardware that has the bulk of GP subs. For the time being, that is X1. We'll have to see how that possibly changes over the gen.

So Sony will do the same because the bulk of psnow user will be on PS4?

Also its a rather odd argument because you could also apply it to games, why would Sony bother with a ps5 when there exclusives still sell millions on PS4?

I do think Ms will support x1 users with some new games for a year after scarletts launch, but there main focus will be on scarlett and Xcloud.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Facial animation needs to be on par with the rendering quality. It's going to look incredibly uncanny if you have these photorealistic models that talk like they have lockjaw.

Definitely. They already improved it quite a bit for The Frozen Wilds, and the stuff that was hand animated or mocapped was mostly fine. Major issue was when they tapped into their procedural animation stuff that obviously wasn't up to par - I mean, Guerrilla never had any real use for procedural facial animation before HZD.

It was even mentioned in their post-mortem as an area of improvement, so they're definitely aware.

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that "philosophy" could apply to 1 or 2 games. What booty said is not the most specific, you could apply it to forza horizon 2 and titan fall on the 360.

no one announces a philosophy for one or two games.

"But what I'll also say is that today, when you launch a new device you are not eliminating all of the devices in that family to date. If I make a game for the iPhone, when the iPhone X comes out I can't just write it for the iPhone X and pretend as if the 9, 8, 7 and 6 don't exist.

That's going to be the case for anybody. It's not like, if we roll back the clock 15 years, when a new device was out and people wanted you to take your old device and just put it in the closet.

"We will absolutely lean in on the power of Scarlett. We think it's going to be the best way to play and it'll be the best thing to put in your living room. But we also want to understand that there will be a family of Xbox devices out there that we want to make sure we support fully."

the only other interpretation is that he is only speaking about game pass

Aug 26, 2019

This should be possible next gen?

Interesting video. Machine learning definitely seems like it could be a big help in making animation pipelines more efficient. Not sure if this particular level will be possible, but I'm actually happy with the levels achieved in this gen's best like Hellblade, Gears 5, GoW etc. That level just needs to be the standard for next-gen games. And it needs to keep improving. I'd like this for the next-gen Mass Effect:

Status
Not open for further replies.