• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2019
Graphical problems are actually one of the least relevant parts - they could at least be made up for with higher resolutions and framerates. The bigger concern comes from missing out on the potential gameplay advancements that a guaranteed SSD and Zen2 CPU can provide, such as speedy movement, integrated teleportation, seamlessly entering any building in an open city, no more need for level design made to mask loading, etc.
Fair point. But the faster storage can still be of benefit even if it doesn't significantly affect gameplay, right? For example, couldn't MS say that the Scarlett version of the game has "50% shorter load times" or something along those lines? Something that quantifies the benefit, even though it doesn't allow for actual changes to gameplay. And as for the CPU — isn't that a big factor in achieving those higher framerates?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the people here seem to be interested in both consoles, at this point we have so few details there is little need for a separate thread, we would just have the same discussion in both threads.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
No. Besides the fact that we know of games like Starfield, TESVI and Kleegamefan's friend's game that are solidly next-gen only, there's also the simple fact Cerny has confirmed the PS5 has an SSD because all the devs were desperate for it. They weren't all begging for an SSD so they could make PS5 patches that improved loading times. They want to be released from the shackles of the HDD and free to iterate on their concepts and designs to a much greater degree.

This so much.

I would bet that the reason Jim Ryan seems so keen on a faster transition between PS4 to PS5 is because devs want to Ben making games exclusively for the PS5 spec., I.e. liberated from the design constraints imposed on them by current hardware limitations.

Feb 10, 2018
Fair point. But the faster storage can still be of benefit even if it doesn't significantly affect gameplay, right? For example, couldn't MS say that the Scarlett version of the game has "50% shorter load times" or something along those lines? Something that quantifies the benefit, even though it doesn't allow for actual changes to gameplay. And as for the CPU — isn't that a big factor in achieving those higher framerates?

Also the games would still be knew, so while they may not have the full benifits of designing a game from the ground up, new is still new.

I mean halo infinite @4k 60fps, Ray tracing, 10x faster loading and if the game is great it still going to be a great game for scarlett.

Same goes for ghost of T on ps4, that is more a less cross gen anyway because it will be releasing like 1-6 months prior to the ps5 release, are ppl going to enjoy these games less because horizon Dawn 2 is out with graphicary next gen whizzbang.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
In addition, PS5 dev kits have likely been out for a good long while, >>1 year cause they were initially planning a 2019 launch.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Of course, that's what I'm saying. Games made for the X1 base will look and run amazingly on next-gen machines (hell, I myself am waiting to play games like Control and Fallen Order at 60fps on PS5), but they will still fundamentally be last-gen games in terms of their gameplay and design.

Of course, the next-gen exclusives will probably also be more graphically impressive as well. Compare Uncharted 3 PS4 to Uncharted 4, or Gears Ultimate to Gears 5. It'll be like that, but one gen ahead.

Aug 26, 2019
Of course, that's what I'm saying. Games made for the X1 base will look and run amazingly on next-gen machines (hell, I myself am waiting to play games like Control and Fallen Order at 60fps on PS5), but they will still fundamentally be last-gen games in terms of their gameplay and design.

Of course, the next-gen exclusives will probably also be more graphically impressive as well. Compare Uncharted 3 PS4 to Uncharted 4, or Gears Ultimate to Gears 5. It'll be like that, but one gen ahead.
Right, I understand. Cross-gen games will run beautifully on Scarlett but won't be able to use that power for revolutionary gameplay innovations. But I just can't see the general public worrying about the hypothetical too much. They understand improvements that can be quantified: resolution and framerate. Beyond that, I don't know how much they care.

Anecdotal, but the one thing that my friends (casual gamers) have latched on to is 8K/120FPS.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Graphical problems are actually one of the least relevant parts - they could at least be made up for with higher resolutions and framerates. The bigger concern comes from missing out on the potential gameplay advancements that a guaranteed SSD and Zen2 CPU can provide, such as speedy movement, integrated teleportation, seamlessly entering any building in an open city, no more need for level design made to mask loading, etc.

No. Besides the fact that we know of games like Starfield, TESVI and Kleegamefan's friend's game that are solidly next-gen only, there's also the simple fact Cerny has confirmed the PS5 has an SSD because all the devs were desperate for it. They weren't all begging for an SSD so they could make PS5 patches that improved loading times. They want to be released from the shackles of the HDD and free to iterate on their concepts and designs to a much greater degree.

100% this

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
In addition, PS5 dev kits have likely been out for a good long while, >>1 year cause they were initially planning a 2019 launch.

I don't believe that for a second. I think that people just started the 2019 launch rumor because they think that only by wishing everything will become real.

It has always been logical that the PS5 and new Xbox would be released in 2020. It just made sense, and proof of that it's also how AMD chips were announced. Also, if the plan was to released it in 2019, they would have started giving little details about it much sooner.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe that for a second. I think that people just started the 2019 launch rumor because they think that only by wishing everything will become real.

It has always been logical that the PS5 and new Xbox would be released in 2020. It just made sense, and proof of that it's also how AMD chips were announced. Also, if the plan was to released it in 2019, they would have started giving little details about it much sooner.
I provided a source. I also said they planned for 2019 release, but it got pushed to 2020. IIRC, AMD was running a bit late as well.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

That don't mean devs kits were send out so early .
They change that in 2017 and they would have been no need to rush out devs kits 2 years in advance even if the date was 2019.
When that change got made the hardware would still have been the planning stage and things would have change with the new date .

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Right, I understand. Cross-gen games will run beautifully on Scarlett but won't be able to use that power for revolutionary gameplay innovations. But I just can't see the general public worrying about the hypothetical too much. They understand improvements that can be quantified: resolution and framerate. Beyond that, I don't know how much they care.

Anecdotal, but the one thing that my friends (casual gamers) have latched on to is 8K/120FPS.

I'm sure they have, because those kinds of numbers are all we have right now. Once the trailers for next-gen only games finally land in a few months, looking unmistakably next-gen in a similar fashion to the Killzone trailer at the PS4 reveal and hopefully showing off the seamlessness an SSD allows, that's what will bring the change.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
That don't mean devs kits were send out so early .
They change that in 2017 and they would have been no need to rush out devs kits 2 years in advance even if the date was 2019.
When that change got made the hardware would still have been the planning stage and things would have chnage with the new date .
I agree, no dev kits in 2017, but they did have dev kits already in Nov 2018, and I bet they had them for the better part of that year. So by launch, Nov 2020 they will have had them over 2 years, in fact.

Feb 10, 2018
I agree, no dev kits in 2017, but they did have dev kits already in Nov 2018, and I bet they had them for the better part of that year. So by launch, Nov 2020 they will have had them over 2 years, in fact.

I wonder when the first dev kits went out for scarlett, they were probably just PCs at the start.
Good news is that a dev has said both are making good hardware choices, so I think both have good dev environments.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when the first dev kits went out for scarlett, they were probably just PCs at the start.
Good news is that a dev has said both are making good hardware choices, so I think both have good dev environments.
I think some devs had Scarlet dev kits in Nov 2018. We know they had them For some time by E3 this year.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Most likely a small amount for there self and some of the big companies.
If we go by the Wired interview they started to accelerated dev kits a little while before April this year .

Feb 10, 2018
It will be surprising if ps5 has the same silocone tech as scarlett even though the hardware was a year ahead.

Last edited:

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But I just can't see the general public worrying about the hypothetical too much. They understand improvements that can be quantified: resolution and framerate. Beyond that, I don't know how much they care.

It won't be hypothetical. There will be real world examples of next gen only games doing revolutionary stuff the cross-gen games don't.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
More than ever now, that I'm thinking about it, we will definitely need reveal events before e3 so that developers can openly talk about their games at trade shows. It's different for new generations versus mid gen upgrades. They can't just say (next gen consoles) when they reveal the trailer. It makes sense to show it off well before e3

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
They both have technically been revealed enough to talk about, aside from the NDA, which is restricting discussion. The PS5 has a name, although Scarlett does not. I think we will see major reveal at E3, and smaller stuff before then.

Feb 10, 2018
It won't be hypothetical. There will be real world examples of next gen only games doing revolutionary stuff the cross-gen games don't.

I think the most revolutionary things will be in open world and space games where light speed travel will be real time and charter flights in GTA6 will be possible to new island, I would love like a 20min flight to another island in GTA6 with real is weather and turbalance simulation and u see Cuba with no pop fully detailed on the horizon.

However more linear games like fps and tps may not benifit as much.

Feb 10, 2018
Well we have been told they both have Zen 2 and Navi. Now what Navi is really the only Big question mark. Well, that and how much and what type of RAM.

MS didn't confirm zen 2, even though it is likely, what surprises me the most is that ps5 has RT hardware even though it originally was planned for 2019,they would of been getting 2020 amd tech but in 2019. Makes me wonder if scarlett uses 2021 tech.

Feb 10, 2018
Yeah, they sure as hell did. Start at 1:10 of the reveal trailer.

The rest of your post is bad faith nonsense.

My apologies about the zen2, I thought he said "latest zen technology" but he said that with Navi.

And you really need stop with your general accusations when you see somthing that you don't like, first u accuse of console waring, then strawman and now bad faith.

When people use these generalisations it just shows they have no argument.

There is nothing wrong with what I said, I mean why do you accept ps5 can have tech from a year later but scarlett can't?

Feb 10, 2018
Never did I say either console was a year ahead. All I am aware of was what rumors had been corroborated here. Personally I think they both have the same tech.

The original 2019 ps5 launch plan from klee you linked, you and I both agree it is accurate, the first thing that gets locked down is silicon, so the chances of the silicon changes after they made the decision to change the launch to 1 year later is extremely slim, so yes the tech they would of got if they stuck to there original release plan would be nearly a year more architecturally advanced then anything from amd on the PC gpu market,
If xbox panned scarlett for a fall 2020 launch all along then I don't see why they also can't get tech that the PC market won't see for another year.
Unless of course AMD's tech is the same for 2021

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
MS didn't confirm zen 2, even though it is likely, what surprises me the most is that ps5 has RT hardware even though it originally was planned for 2019,they would of been getting 2020 amd tech but in 2019. Makes me wonder if scarlett uses 2021 tech.

The rumor is Sony made the shift from 2019 to 2020 back in 2017, so that's plenty of time to make changes to the architecture. There's no reason to believe they would launch with the same hardware they would have used in 2019.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found it absolutely shite that it's 18 years from the first Xbox's release, and it's not completely worldwide yet. I can understand why when it comes to consoles, but there really is no excuse for Microsoft to gate the game pass only to the regions that the Xbox console is released.

I can get Windows, MS Office, almost everything from Microsoft except the games from the Windows Store. My Malaysian debit or credit cards arent recognized, and I can't even visit the game pass page.

Hopefully this gets addressed next year.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So ? This is a random 4 years old article. All the most graphically intensive games and first party games on PS4 have decent or generous level of AF. All of them. Usually 4-8x AF but up to 16X. This proves AF is not a bottleneck at all when the hardware and API are properly used by competent developers.

This is again proved by a few games on PS4 in the first years when some developers were incorrectly using the PS4 GPU API and didn't know there was a specific step on PS4 API (compared to Directx API). Some of those games had very low level or not AF applied on textures. Usually after a patch those games had suddently 8x or 16x applied on all textures with zero performance penalty (framerate being already capped at 30fps). For instance Dying light. After the patch, all textures had suddenly something like 8X AF with no performance penalty. A dev confirmed me years ago that on most games a generous level of AF had a negligible impact on performance, at least on PS4.

This gen there were 2 main bottlenecks on base consoles: CPU and HDD.
Notice I said broken. Not bottlenecked. You go on to agree it was broken initially. I expressed hope that doesn't happen this time. I'm not sure what else there is to be said.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I think that the positive reception to cross-gen games like Halo Infinite, the incredible value of Game Pass, the focus on cross-play and BC etc. will drown out any "doomed" discussions. Nobody really complained about MGSV being cross-gen, and I think that's because it was a really damn good game. Same with Xbox/Scarlett games. Do I think games could be held back by being cross-gen? Yes. But it would be silly to claim that it'll lead to anything more than angry graphics enthusiasts on forums.

This isn't like 2013 when they were doing/saying things that were actually damaging the Xbox brand.

The PS3 and 360 MGS 5 Phantom Pain version sales were abysmal. I was one of the friction points with Konami, Kojima did not want this version for MGS 5. It hurt the design of the game.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found it absolutely shite that it's 18 years from the first Xbox's release, and it's not completely worldwide yet. I can understand why when it comes to consoles, but there really is no excuse for Microsoft to gate the game pass only to the regions that the Xbox console is released.

I can get Windows, MS Office, almost everything from Microsoft except the games from the Windows Store. My Malaysian debit or credit cards arent recognized, and I can't even visit the game pass page.

Hopefully this gets addressed next year.
Oh, ho, I didn't realize we had a fellow Malaysian in here :)

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
No, because PS Now is a supplementary service for Sony. Game Pass is being positioned as a primary driver for MS.

Jim Ryan mentioned getting users over to PS5 as fast as possible. There wasn't anything said about continuing to support PS4.

TBH that's likely a massive mistake to make. The reason why Microsoft is saying that they'll continue to support Xbox One consoles is that they will likely announce that Xbox One consoles will be able to play Scarlett games via XCloud. Yes it will cannibalise console sales of Scarlett, but it's increasingly clear that Console sales are becoming less and less important.

Feb 23, 2019

TBH that's likely a massive mistake to make. The reason why Microsoft is saying that they'll continue to support Xbox One consoles is that they will likely announce that Xbox One consoles will be able to play Scarlett games via XCloud. Yes it will cannibalise console sales of Scarlett, but it's increasingly clear that Console sales are becoming less and less important.

I don't see how console sales are any less important than they've always been

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018

There are more ways to make a successful gaming platform. XCloud is a big part of that. Like I say abandoning the PS4 users is a big mistake. Microsoft isn't abandoning XB1 users, in fact they're taking them along with them.

Consumers on Mobile, PC, TVs etc and maybe eventually all Xbox One Consoles devices can play the latest Scarlett games via XCloud, but if they want to play locally they can get Scarlett.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Ten years ago, sales of boxes containing Windows and Office was critical to Microsoft. Now it's all about subscriptions and services. Gaming, for Microsoft, is simply following the same model. Xbox is simply disconnecting "selling a plastic box" from "accessing xbox services and subscriptions".

Feb 23, 2019
I think they are less important because there are more avenues of making income. Game pass, Xbox live, xcloud. All three combined

Two of three require a console sold, and the cloud streaming of games isn't making a dent anytime soon as it doesn't solve a fundamental problem of the current model, and introduces new problems.

At the end of the day, it still only boils down to hardware and software.

Those services are just repackaging of software.

Consoles are not any less important, they along with software are the driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.