• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
VGC made an article and also created a mock-up based on the patent:

EJqIGSdXUAQkCZe.png-large.png

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/ps5-controller-shown-in-patent-images/

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
R2/L2 looks to be slightly off to the right and left respectively in the DS5, seems a bit more comfortable to reach imo. I didn't have a problem with that on PS4, but it may be easier to reach than the DS4. Also, wonder how the bigger hand grips feel compared to the DS4, Im not found of the thickness of the handgrips on the Xbox One and PS4 Nacon Pro controller, my hands are medium size and it feels cumbersome.

Maybe the overall changes make the DS5 more comfortable for everyone than the DS4 though. Offset triggers, wider handles etc.

Wish we weren't getting a TouchPad though.. all that juice being drained..

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Plastica from this pic I think we can say safely it's touch pad and not a screen :

1645826_000007.jpg

no screen folds backward and downward.and touch pad clicking distance is also there

Hmmm. Interesting. Like I said, I can't confirm the existence of touchscreen from those drawn projections. I wonder what that slit is then. I f there is no back lightbar, this won't be a top lightbar becasue it would be useless anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
My hands hurt like heck when I played BF5, so I hope these changes help with stuff like that.

Nex Machina also made my hands hurt.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It's the dot for the usb type c on the other face and it's dotted on this face to show it's location from face view

Yes it could be that. It's represented under the touchpad. I thought the USB port was directly under the curving of the hinge so it can't be represetend. Now that you mentioned it.That slit is neeitehr a lightbar nor a speaker or oemthing else. Just the representation of the USB port under it. Nice catch. So I am still not wrong. there is neither a top nor a back lightbar.

Still they have to explain why there is no lightbar in DS5 and how they gonna deal with important infos in games and especially games requiring PS Camera for tracking.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances of DS4 being 100% compatible with the PS5? I mean wireless, turning on the console, tunring off the console etc.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes it could be that. It's represented under the touchpad. I thought the USB port was directly under the curving of the hinge so it can't be represetend. Now that you mentioned it.That slit is neeitehr a lightbar nor a speaker or oemthing else. Just the representation of the USB port under it. Nice catch. So I am still not wrong. there is neitehr a top nor a back lightbar.

Still they have to explain why there is no lightbar in DS5 and how they gonna deal with important infos in games and especially games requiring PS Camera for tracking.
Probably there are sensors in it for vr so no need for lights for psvr2

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My question :

why does the touch pad extrudes out from the controllers top ? Why is it not flushed like DS4?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PLASTICA-MAN

do you know why the touch pad would extrudes out of the top of controller instead of being flushed ?

Untitled-6-768x470.jpg

the touch pad is flushed at the top of the DS4 controller

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I am in the minority here, but I hate having to stop what I am doing to look down at the controller. I really disliked the WiiU controller for that reason. Immersion breaking.

I think you're missing the point. It would work exactly as it does now for shortcuts . Like Witcher 3 for instance but instead of a blank piece of plastic, the shortcuts are labelled. You wouldn't have to look down more than you do now if you aren't inclined but devs might be more inclined to add shortcuts with this setup.

I know it would be functionally worse but I'd like a non back lit i-ink screen like a kindle.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
DS4 is terrible for racing games. This is the main reason I prefer racing on X1, unless I'm doing so with a wheel (in which case PS4 is fine).
Yeah I'm excited about the extra trigger feedback for racing games. I also really hope they tighten up the sensitivity. In GT Sport it fells like quite a narrow range of input in the middle has some range, at the beginning and end it's really spongy. You go from about 50% acceleration to 100% while you're still only squeezing it to about 70%. The last 30% movement is at max. Means I NEED to use traction control in GT Sport.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cant believe Sony not only self censor Japanese games but they also made the DS5 wear a chastity belt.

I'm outraged.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
We're getting so many PS5 tidbits here and there, I think it's almost time we separated the threads again.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
When I contacted a moderator about splitting the threads due to members requesting it, I was told that it would be best to have a single thread.
Such a weird stance. Separate news, separate threads, except for this? There's way more information regarding one company than the other, it's better to separate them so that discussion can focus instead of being open to potential console-warring.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nah, i would rather it be kept in one thread.

There's a reason for having moderators, although I wish they step in more when things start to get ugly.

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
Such a weird stance. Separate news, separate threads, except for this? There's way more information regarding one company than the other, it's better to separate them so that discussion can focus instead of being open to potential console-warring.

Potential? This thread vacillates between passive aggressive posts to full out warring. Seems separating things would be better for discussion

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there is nothing stopping you from creating a thread about this new controller patent. new news, new thread. but a lot of what we discuss here is speculation that doesnt warrant new threads like this controller patent would. it would be silly to have two different threads dedicated to speculation just because adults cant learn to coexist.

if you cant handle a little console warring then perhaps video game forums are not for you. i've always found this notion of segregated threads a bit too incestuous. you end up creating this echo chamber where no criticism or dissenting opinion is allowed because you get drowned out by rabid fanboys. there is no control segment in those threads.

besides, we are pretty much in the end game now. in a month, maybe two months this thread wont be needed anymore because specs will be out and a speculation thread wont be needed anymore. let alone two speculation threads. we will likely have dedicated ps5 and scarlett launch threads after the reveals. just enjoy the final days. its been one hell of a ride.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

Even the amount of information released is debated here. With some posters saying both have released the same and others saying otherwise.

While I came around to the one thread eventually I do think it's time to separate them again. Maybe we could have 2 threads(Sony & MS) that cover the next gen consoles and their software? The scope of this thread is all over the place anyway.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I have voiced the opinion before, but I am also in the single thread boat - at least for now.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
PLASTICA-MAN

do you know why the touch pad would extrudes out of the top of controller instead of being flushed ?

Untitled-6-768x470.jpg

the touch pad is flushed at the top of the DS4 controller

Sorry my friend for late reply. I was a little absent. :p

Tbh, I don't know the reason for that. It may be because the clicking mechanism on DS4 was not correctly designed and faulty, in fact many including myself got the trackpad stuck when clicking sometimes and you had to to click stronger to free it as if it was rusty. Maybe now by spacing it the clicking process should be looser and allow fluent clicking.

Or may be, there is still a touch screen and a clickable one so they had to le those parts overflow from the controller to allow more hardware junk under it (screen, hadrware, clciking mechanism etc...) . :p

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sorry my friend for late reply. I was a little absent. :p

Tbh, I don't know the reason for that. It may be because the clicking mechanism on DS4 was not correctly designed and faulty, in fact many including myself got the trackpad stuck when clicking sometimes and you had to to click stronger to free it as if it was rusty. Maybe now by spacing it the clicking process should be looser and allow fluent clicking.

Or may be, there is still a touch screen and a clickable one so they had to le those parts overflow from the controller to allow more hardware junk under it (screen, hadrware, clciking mechanism etc...) . :p
I thought about it in your absence haha. DS4 prototype also has a boxy touchpad if i remember correctly. This is DS5 prototype and not the final version which will be 90% similar to the final version

edit :

no it doesn't :
playstation_4_controller_leak_destructoid_640.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.