• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Mark Cerny's comments on the custom SSD in PlayStation 5 "I have an SSD in my laptop, and when I want to change from Excel to Word I can wait 15 seconds."

So Cerny is picking shitty emmc ssd's to make his comparison? If it takes you 15 sec to go from Excel to Word on a ssd than there's something wrong.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
A 2tb SSD in a $499 package seems a little too good to be true. I will take it of course, but was only expecting a 1tb SSD at best at $499.99.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Klee has said double digit tflops for months, which is what 10+ is. It isn't new information.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Well, pretty much confirmed that those cartridges are indeed expandable storage for the PS5. Sony updated the patent:

IxHcEKk.png

Let me run a wild theory by y'all and tell me what you think.

1) The "storage device" functionality mentioned here is not for PS5 expandable storage, but instead PS5 games will come on these cards. The disc drive on the PS5 is for BC and media playback purposes only. This will allow the PS5 to read physical games incredibly fast, adding to its "immediate access" marketing.

2) These memory cards will utilize ReRAM storage technology, which we know Sony is working on, and so will the PS5's SSD. If Sony is planning to jump into a new market of developing ReRAM then what better way to make a splash for their Semi-Con division than to be the sole supplier of both the PS5 SSD, the PS5 game cards and the storage going into PS5-based servers for PS Now in Azure datacenters? It will immediately give their Semi-Con division a mammoth customer right off the bat and show the world and other potential customers what their drives can do.

3) One of the reasons for the switch from disc-based PS5 games to cartridge based is that at some point they intend to release a PS5 Portable (maybe a couple years into the gen) and discs won't do for that. One of the reasons here is they realize that supporting both the PS5 ecosystem, the PSVR/PSVR2 ecosystem and a handheld ecosystem would be stretching themselves too thin so bring it all together by making a portable PS5. We know AMD are working with the likes of Samsung to bring powerful graphics to mobile, so given a bit of time I think they could manage to develop an APU that manages to play PS5 games at either 720p or 1080p for a handheld. This will go a long way towards winning over markets like Japan again.

So... yeah this is what I'd like to happen :D

Feb 10, 2018

1) The "storage device" functionality mentioned here is not for PS5 expandable storage, but instead PS5 games will come on these cards. The disc drive on the PS5 is for BC and media playback purposes only. This will allow the PS5 to read physical games incredibly fast, adding to its "immediate access" marketing.

2) These memory cards will utilize ReRAM storage technology, which we know Sony is working on, and so will the PS5's SSD. If Sony is planning to jump into a new market of developing ReRAM then what better way to make a splash for their Semi-Con division than to be the sole supplier of both the PS5 SSD, the PS5 game cards and the storage going into PS5-based servers for PS Now in Azure datacenters? It will immediately give their Semi-Con division a mammoth customer right off the bat and show the world and other potential customers what their drives can do.

3) One of the reasons for the switch from disc-based PS5 games to cartridge based is that at some point they intend to release a PS5 Portable (maybe a couple years into the gen) and discs won't do for that. One of the reasons here is they realize that supporting both the PS5 ecosystem, the PSVR/PSVR2 ecosystem and a handheld ecosystem would be stretching themselves too thin so bring it all together by making a portable PS5. We know AMD are working with the likes of Samsung to bring powerful graphics to mobile, so given a bit of time I think they could manage to develop an APU that manages to play PS5 games at either 720p or 1080p for a handheld. This will go a long way towards winning over markets like Japan again.

If this was the case, there would not be any need to install games, cerny has already said games have to be installed.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
If this was the case, there would not be any need to install games, cerny has already said games have to be installed.

Wild speculation... shot down in less than two minutes... lol

It was a fun read though, vivftp.

Cartridges for game media is just impractical. Retail games would be far too expensive.

Think about 100GB worth of game data, then look at the costs of 128GB SD cards... even slashing them in half still would wipe out any publisher/platform profits after shipping, packaging and retailer margins. The only alternative would be to sell them for higher prices at retail, meaning PS5 is DOA against an optical-disc based Scarlett.

It would be the N64 all over again.

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Now we just need to know the RAM amount and we'll have all the specs nailed down broadly

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So with Sony making their own SSD, that means it isn't gonna be like anything you buy on the market right? And also why would they go that route?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So with Sony making their own SSD, that means it isn't gonna be like anything you buy on the market right? And also why would they go that route?

Better customization to suit their end goals, I'd imagine and possibly better cost savings.

I was just thinking about my ReRAM theory above and another thought occurred. Sony make all manner of high speed memory cards for their camera division, what if this is part of a larger push towards Sony making a new memory format standard that's leaps and bounds faster than any normal flash storage to use both on the PS5 and cameras? It would give them a competitive edge in 2 fields that are their core pillars.

Not only that but they could start to slap this storage tech into any number of other devices they produce from Walkmans to Xperias to whatever else. I still also subscribe to the theory that the MoU Sony has with Microsoft might also potentially involve using Sony ReRAM drives in Azure datacenters since the semi-con business was mentioned. I know they mentioned image sensors, but no reason storage couldn't also be a factor.

Now of course this all banks on Sony having a mature ReRAM storage solution ready to go at a reasonable price and that they're able to produce them in sufficient quantities. If they are, then the prospect of using this tech in so many of their devices and potentially selling to other companies can only help to eventually drive down the price.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well, pretty much confirmed that those cartridges are indeed expandable storage for the PS5. Sony updated the patent:

IxHcEKk.png

If true, I do not like it the way it sounds which is the thing is off-standards. Proprietary devices are usually priced way higher than what you have to pay for stuff based on established standards because there is competition. I don't want a situation like with the X360 and its over priced cartridges.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
A 2tb SSD in a $499 package seems a little too good to be true. I will take it of course, but was only expecting a 1tb SSD at best at $499.99.

It's probably too good to be true. I can't see it. Not in an affordable package.

Just when these companies went all digital to give more money back to publishers you think they would be excited to be forced to support expensive cartridges? I'd rather load than pay an extra $10 per game.

24 GB with 4GB dedicated to OS. Mark my words.

Nah... You guys are running wild again. Getting greedy. Enjoy Zen 2/3, RDNA2 and an SSD. It's a balanced console not a water cooled benchmarking rig.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Ps4 Pro most likely. The real star is the lighting imo that makes the game look that pretty. In scenes without the lighting it looks far less impressive but still good though.
IMO it will be a cross-gen title with PS5 getting all the bells and whistles in native 4K. Still the gameplay is most impressive.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
That was running on a Pro. As good as that looks, the PS5 will crush those visuals for the same game, and even moreso for games built specifically built for next gen.

How do you know it was running on a Pro? I've been saying this game was shown off on next gen hardware for a while. I'm sure the Pro can get close with worse aliasing and lower resolution.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Both Xbox Scarlett and PlayStation 5 have greater than 10.0TF GPU performance.
Waaaaat. Are we talking here about 10+ RDNA Navi teraflops or GCN equivalent?

If 10+rdna then indeed that's just amazing(similiar to GTX 2080 super) and its 7-8x more tflops than PS4 alltogether with architectural changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.