• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Waaaaat. Are we talking here about 10+ RDNA Navi teraflops or GCN equivalent?

If 10+rdna then indeed that's just amazing(similiar to GTX 2080 super) and its 7-8x more tflops than PS4 alltogether with architectural changes.

He said it before RDNA. He talked end of June and friend dev told target specs of GPU in consoles are more powerful than 5700 and 5700XT Navi.

After this is not high end Navi PC GPU, a rumored High end Navi is supposed to be 505 mm2 and 80 CU+ raytracing maybe VRS and other functionnality, at 2GHz it is 20 TFlops. This will be much more powerful than the GPU inside next generation console. This GPU will be middle range offer probably next year.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So with Sony making their own SSD, that means it isn't gonna be like anything you buy on the market right? And also why would they go that route?

Performance, simply.

Has anyone picked over the diagram in terms of what the pin layout means? Does this confirm a totally custom IO interface, and not nVMe etc?

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe some of you are still at digesting the greater than 10tf for both nextgen boxes info. Klee was clear enough on that subject eons ago and that has being threadmarked since the start. How many times will he have to re-tell us this ?

And you are all crazy with those super slow cartridges possibly being SSD storage, they are way too slow. It can only be something for PSVR or Vita 2. Sony has plenty of Vita 2 patents similar to the Switch.

Nov 2, 2017
Waaaaat. Are we talking here about 10+ RDNA Navi teraflops or GCN equivalent?

If 10+rdna then indeed that's just amazing(similiar to GTX 2080 super) and its 7-8x more tflops than PS4 alltogether with architectural changes.
On the PC side you'd need around 12-13 Tflops for the current Navi cards to reach a 2080-2080super. This assumes linear scaling between performance and Tflops, which is almost never the case.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Performance, simply.

Has anyone picked over the diagram in terms of what the pin layout means? Does this confirm a totally custom IO interface, and not nVMe etc?
Its definitely seems like it uses much less pins than what is used on a nvme ssd.
29aa11dd361e4aa9b55c0700d6f72c8a.jpg

The SSD in the patent has only 12 pins.
sony-ssd-memory-ps5.jpg

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
So it should perform better than anything availabe on the market or better suited for what they are aiming for?
Sony needs to guarantee for developers developing streaming texture solutions for games that a minimum performance will be X GB/s bandwidth (likely in the ballpark of 4-5 GB/s continues read). This also means they must maintain that guarantee also for extension drives.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Also is this cartridge/SSD device really small or are the pins really big?
It seems disproportionate compared to other SSD images

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Not just small, tiny.
If we assume the pins in those SSDs i linked above are the same size as those in the patent design, then look how small it is in comparison.
Screenshot_20191119-115304_Chrome.jpg

I highly doubt its this small.
The conclusion is that those pins are much bigger than the standard SSDs

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Does anybody already figured out what the cooling solution could be for next gen consoles ? Will it be vapor chamber again for xbox ? Just for the silence I would want it though.

Sorry for asking in case this was discussed to death already.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Not just small, tiny.
If we assume the pins in those SSDs i linked above are the same size as those in the patent design, then look how small it is in comparison.
Screenshot_20191119-115304_Chrome.jpg

I highly doubt its this small.
The conclusion is that those pins are much bigger than the standard SSDs
It wouldn't be big even if each pin would be size of B or M key in the Image.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I am more for the PCIE3 version 10 GB/s, PCIE4 was non existent when they fill the patent and did some test but it is very fast too.
Would those SSD customizations really double the raw read bandwidth on the PS5 compared to consumer SSDs? In that case they should try making it an official new SSD format for PC too lol

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Would those SSD customizations really double the raw read bandwidth on the PS5 compared to consumer SSDs? In that case they should try making it an official new SSD format for PC too lol

PC is very different you need symmetrical read/write speed, here read speed of games is maybe 10 GB/s and write speed only 2GB/s. And you have the modification of the filesystem format with a format only used by the games (Filearchive). Read speed goes slower for other types of files (2 GB/s theoretical maybe). OS operation or taking screenshot or other things will go slower like a Nvme SSD on PC, it will be good too. The read speed only works for games.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
SSD cartridge to expand PS5 storage is the new HBM delusion guys.

Occam's razor: the simplest explanation is often the best. Like what is usually the purpose of cartridges ? The answer is very simple and most probably the right one. And also, a patent doesn't mean a retail product.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Occam's razor: the simplest explanation is often the best. Like what is usually the purpose of cartridges ? The answer is very simple and most probably the right one. And also, a patent doesn't mean a retail product.
Death, taxes, and "patents aren't products".

The answer so simple, you don't even give it.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to think it's a terrible idea to put new news in a new thread. The DS5 thread and now the cartridge thread, sheesh :(

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

On the contrary:external,cartridge type,slim and small in size SSD is perfectly logical solution for storage expansion.
Custom external SSD with nice profit margin would help a lot with selling cheap base PS5.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Its definitely seems like it uses much less pins than what is used on a nvme ssd.
29aa11dd361e4aa9b55c0700d6f72c8a.jpg

The SSD in the patent has only 12 pins.
sony-ssd-memory-ps5.jpg
This is definitely not a nvme module (the very low speed because of only 12 pins is a no go). But it looks very similar to a PS Vita cartridge with a much smaller plastic encasing and a bigger board space allocated for a bigger storage. PS Vita cartridges have 10 pins and the patent has 12.

WkxkCNW.jpg

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is definitely not a nvme module (the very low speed because of only 12 pins is a no go). But it looks very similar to a PS Vita cartridge with a much smaller plastic encasing and a bigger board space allocated for a bigger storage. PS Vita cartridges have 10 pins and the patent has 12.

WkxkCNW.jpg

PS Meeting 2020 sony unveils PS5 and PSP 2 confirmed.

All in one package only for 799. :D

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As some one who doesn't like handheld gaming I dread the day psp2 is announced since the E3 will start to have boring sections again :D

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
From marketing perspective selling a cheaper PS5 with limited SSD space is a smart move. I think they got inspired by Nintendo.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
We can maybe deduce the speed of the SSD like this if it PCIE3 or 4.0.

If I count well maybe 10 GB/s if PCIE3 and 20 GB/s if PCIE4. Or maybe my calculation are false.
Current PCIe 4.0 drives on PC max out at 5GB/s when reading sustained and linearly. PCIe 3.0 never got above 2 GB/s on PC at the theoretical maximum. I think your calculations are false :)
If they somehow managed to create a new drive controller that could handle higher speeds than the top-of-the-line controllers in PC drives, I'd be impressed. Possible, but not that likely IMHO. PCIe 4.0 drives get really hot when maxed out and needs some decent cooling solution.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Current PCIe 4.0 drives on PC max out at 5GB/s when reading sustained and linearly. PCIe 3.0 never got above 2 GB/s on PC at the theoretical maximum. I think your calculations are false :)
If they somehow managed to create a new drive controller that could handle higher speeds than the top-of-the-line controllers in PC drives, I'd be impressed. Possible, but not that likely IMHO. PCIe 4.0 drivers get really hot when maxed out and needs some decent cooling solution.

This is exactly what they into the patent, they describe a SSD which can read only games (special filesystem format) faster than a PC SSD.

www.resetera.com

PS5 - a patent dive into what might be the tech behind Sony's SSD customisations (technical!)

This will be one for people interested in some potentially more technical speculation. I posted in the next-gen speculation thread, but was encouraged to spin it off into its own thread. I did some patent diving to see if I could dig up any likely candidates for what Sony's SSD solution might...

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

WkxkCNW.jpg

Little Deviants 2 for PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.