• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
IMHO they aren't small Navi and they aren't big Navi either

They are the "just right" Navi twins hahaha

To be clear, I have no more information on Big Navi than anyone else, but if it's better than Prospero GPU, then Holy Shit.

The rumor for big PC GPU Navi is 80 CU it means 20 Tflops at 2 Ghz and with raytracing and other feature like VRS. The rumor begins last year.

EDIT: The big PC Navi GPU will be a real monster.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I'd say 4GB+ would be the situation - when he made that comment, PCIe3 drives were the standard, which I think tended to be up to that 4GB/s mark. So 4+would take you to 'faster than' territory.
When he said that, pcie4.0 was yet to hit the market. pcie 3.0 sequential read, which I assume is the speed used when discussing all these numbers, were in the 2.5-3Gb/s area.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
When he said that, pcie4.0 was yet to hit the market. pcie 3.0 sequential read, which I assume is the speed used when discussing all these numbers, were in the 2.5-3Gb/s area.

I might well be wrong, I thought there were PCie 3 ssds at that point in the high 3.xGB/s territory. Which is why I put the baseline at 4.

But yeah - whatever was out there in PCie3 land, take that, add a little, and that ought to be the baseline to qualify wrt what Cerny was saying.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, next gen is sounding so good. I'll be fresh out of college and buying my PS5 and beginning to truly live life. Ahhh, life is good. Hopefully Trump will be voted out of office and shit will be really good.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, next gen is sounding so good. I'll be fresh out of college and buying my PS5 and beginning to truly live life. Ahhh, life is good. Hopefully Trump will be voted out of office and shit will be really good.
not to burst your bubble but if you are starting a full time 9-6 PM job out of college, you will be too exhausted to play games. it will take you months to get used to the routine.

This happened to me and several people i know. i didnt want to play anything. i was sleep and tired all the time. i had all the money in the world and zero drive to play anything.

you can probably help prepare for it by fixing your sleep schedule before you graduate. easier said than done in college though.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
not to burst your bubble but if you are starting a full time 9-6 PM job out of college, you will be too exhausted to play games. it will take you months to get used to the routine.

This happened to me and several people i know. i didnt want to play anything. i was sleep and tired all the time. i had all the money in the world and zero drive to play anything.

you can probably help prepare for it by fixing your sleep schedule before you graduate. easier said than done in college though.

That is me right now. Doing 60hrs work weeks and just going str8 to sleep.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Can't believe some of you are still at digesting the greater than 10tf for both nextgen boxes info. Klee was clear enough on that subject eons ago and that has being threadmarked since the start. How many times will he have to re-tell us this ?

And you are all crazy with those super slow cartridges possibly being SSD storage, they are way too slow. It can only be something for PSVR or Vita 2. Sony has plenty of Vita 2 patents similar to the Switch.

Why are you assuming they are slow? Because of the 12-pin layout?

PCIE 4.0 can do 1969 MB/s per pin.

So 12 pins is over 23 GB/s... more than enough for a custom SSD interface.

We can maybe deduce the speed of the SSD like this if it PCIE3 or 4.0.

If I count well maybe 10 GB/s if PCIE3 and 20 GB/s if PCIE4. Or maybe my calculation are false.

See above.

Current PCIe 4.0 drives on PC max out at 5GB/s when reading sustained and linearly. PCIe 3.0 never got above 2 GB/s on PC at the theoretical maximum. I think your calculations are false :)
If they somehow managed to create a new drive controller that could handle higher speeds than the top-of-the-line controllers in PC drives, I'd be impressed. Possible, but not that likely IMHO. PCIe 4.0 drives get really hot when maxed out and needs some decent cooling solution.

See PCIE 4.0 , the interface can go up to 31.51GB/s with x16 lanes. This is for the interface. Naturally the NAND chip transfer speeds themselves will be the limiting factor.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
IMHO they aren't small Navi and they aren't big Navi either

They are the "just right" Navi twins hahaha

To be clear, I have no more information on Big Navi than anyone else, but if it's better than Prospero GPU, then Holy Shit.

Is this really the system Sony thought they could launch in 2019?

Even better, they are doing some new stuff in these consoles that I am totally unfamiliar with.
CPU/GPU or something else?

Do you know any CPU details?

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Even better, they are doing some new stuff in these consoles that I am totally unfamiliar with.
Kleegamefan, has your friend actually given you the TFLOP numbers? Or only kept it vague by saying it's double digits? Not that it matters. 10 tflops is still about 5,4 times regular PS4 (without taking into account the architectural improvements of course).

I'm honestly expecting it to be almost 13 for PS5 - Everything else is gravy, so might as well go all in (the 12,7 tflops rumor has been around awhile- I remember the Benji backtracking...)

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Kleegamefan, has your friend actually given you the TFLOP numbers? Or only kept it vague by saying it's double digits? Not that it matters. 10 tflops is still about 5,4 times regular PS4 (without taking into account the architectural improvements of course).

I'm honestly expecting it to be almost 13 for PS5 - Everything else is gravy, so might as well go all in (the 12,7 tflops rumor has been around awhile- I remember the Benji backtracking...)

12.9 you mean not 12.7 :p

Nah he said just his friend nodded with his head to confirm both are over 10 Tflops. That is all. He ddin't even say it wsith his mouth, just nodded. : so don't expect exact number. :p

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
12.9 you mean not 12.7 :p

Nah he said just his friend nodded with his head to confirm both are over 10 Tflops. That is all. He ddin't even say it wsith his mouth, just nodded. : so don't expect exact number. :p
Ops, sorry! You're right - 12.9! (So even better!)

These consoles, man... 12.9 RDNA tflops from the X1 1.3 tflop baseline... That's basically original Xbox > X360 right there (specifically talking about the GPU side). That's fucking insane!

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Ops, sorry! You're right - 12.9! (So even better!)

These consoles, man... 12.9 RDNA tflops from the X1 1.3 tflop baseline... That's basically original Xbox > X360 right there (specifically talking about the GPU side). That's fucking insane!

You know those 200 gigaFLOPS you forgot are exactly the FLOp pwoer of the PS3, and even betetr considering the much better architecture of RDNA 2 so it must be several times more. With that you can add a GTA5 or MGS5 or TLOU or GOW3 game to your already existing PS5 game, meaning that could be used for something really important. Don't neglect those few flops, they are crucial. XD

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'll manage. I already balance 18 credit semesters and 30 hr work weeks. Honestly just having a 9-5 will be a welcome change for me and free up my time. That also doesn't speak to the time it takes for cooking and other home things.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
We all can confirm that it's fake.

I'm Spanish and that web (as many others) tend to post fake news like that just for the click bait. None of those webs have proper leakers or insiders, they just check Era or Gaf and make up news based on threads like this.
Yeah, it smelled fishy... but I couldn't believe they would literally said OFICIALLY CONFIRMED 😂😂😂 🤦‍♂️

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the one thing that worries me when I think about Scarlett's hardware.

Sony appears to have invested a lot in customising the ssd for maximum speeds, and we all know that (according to rumours) Scarlett is also using a "quite fast ssd but not as fast as that on the Ps5" and so I would like to ask you if the following situation could happen when these consoles are released:

Could Scarlett's ssd "compromise" next gen games because of its supposed slower speeds?

Probably not. It (probably) wont be as fast, but it should be fast enough to be a gamechanger compared to this gen.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
If they are virtually the same lets leave it at that instead of trying to wank to the sears catalog of higher performance.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Current PCIe 4.0 drives on PC max out at 5GB/s when reading sustained and linearly. PCIe 3.0 never got above 2 GB/s on PC at the theoretical maximum. I think your calculations are false :)
If they somehow managed to create a new drive controller that could handle higher speeds than the top-of-the-line controllers in PC drives, I'd be impressed. Possible, but not that likely IMHO. PCIe 4.0 drives get really hot when maxed out and needs some decent cooling solution.

that's over the bus speed of the normal lanes nvme on pcie4 gets, so at least the cap is that

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
so, i postulated that a console could come with 0 onboard storage and 1 sku, with user chooseable storage, but man what a retail mess

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
Lockhart isn't a thing anymore, yet Spencer refuses to pin Scarlett down as a single device.

Theory:
Project Scarlett isn't just a newer console, but a rebranding opportunity for XBox.

Games play across X0, X0X, NuXBox, with higher performance on newer hardware.
Eventually we get higher hw exclusives, and the older consoles are discontinued when we get a mid-cycle upgrade. It'd be similar to phones in a way.
This explains the cross-gen talk.

It's a little complex, but he also mentioned he would have to take care not to confuse people.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I might well be wrong, I thought there were PCie 3 ssds at that point in the high 3.xGB/s territory. Which is why I put the baseline at 4.

But yeah - whatever was out there in PCie3 land, take that, add a little, and that ought to be the baseline to qualify wrt what Cerny was saying.

Yup, you're right. Looking at 970 pro benchmarks from last year, it was doing 3.5gb/s seq. read and 2.7gb/s seq. write.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
With all this SSD speed discussion, wouldn't the disc drive be a speed limitation to things like disc installs?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
With all this SSD speed discussion, wouldn't the disc drive be a speed limitation to things like disc installs?

It will and there's no way around that.

Lockhart isn't a thing anymore, yet Spencer refuses to pin Scarlett down as a single device.

Theory:
Project Scarlett isn't just a newer console, but a rebranding opportunity for XBox.

Games play across X0, X0X, NuXBox, with higher performance on newer hardware.
Eventually we get higher hw exclusives, and the older consoles are discontinued when we get a mid-cycle upgrade. It'd be similar to phones in a way.
This explains the cross-gen talk.

It's a little complex, but he also mentioned he would have to take care not to confuse people.

Yeah, I can see them pivoting into calling Scarlett and the older consoles collectively the "Xbox Platform" and just releases games for "Xbox".

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Edit wait what? Zen 3 gonna have 64 cores/128 threads? O_O
And still use DDR4? XD By then DDR5 should already have released.

I really wished next-gen consoels at leats another year for 2021. By then we would be sure they will have Zen 3 and RDNA2 (if not 3).
There is always something better on the horizon, at one point, you need to go or will wait forever.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
There is always something better on the horizon, at one point, you need to go or will wait forever.

Still Zen 3 is a tremendous jump to be honest. We could have ended with a CPU with at least 24 cores if not 32 and double threads for consoles if they waited another year. Imagine all the possibilities with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.