• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2019
both Sony's APIs and MS's APIs this time will be much more iterative of this generation compared to previous gens, that is partially where the "smooth transition" is coming from, as developers can squeeze a strong level of performance from day 1 as their engines are already fairly optimized for these APIs. MS especially have their tools made for easy conversion between PC and xbox units so the transition should be easy.

however, because of this same reason, i dont see MS's APIs suddenly being some huge edge in performance, this was the argument in 2016 as well where DX12 was supposedly going to close the gap between PS4 and X1, that obviously did not happen. the tools wont be so different outside of new features, so you wont see a big performance benefit from those that the other party wont have. both have excellent tools to work with and utilize their systems, the edge will not come from the tools themselves, and neither from the ~0.5TF advantage to either side, but from the capabillities of the developers, and the abillity to combine art and tech together to something truly magnificent.
I recall Klee saying that the improvements on the software side are not trivial

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember this being discussed anywhere, is this new news?

"Our goal for our first-party games is that your entitlements will be cross-generation and your Achievements will move effectively with your save game because that's where they stand," Spencer said.

I would expect most to have it covered by GamePass anyway, but it's good to hear and I'd like to hear the same from Sony.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
You said give me a day.... Metalane Anything you want/can share?
And did you contact a mod for verification?
Unfortunately I've tipped the bucket all the way I can. So can't share anything else, in fact, what I shared was probably the juiciest info I got.

And source wishes to remain private. You'll here more about the PS5 in Feb hopefully (I'm not hinting anything that's just my genuine guess). And I was intentionally vague on the "4x" statement to stir up some conversation.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Well it's not that early . we r 7 months(around July) from the start of mass production to build an inventory buildup for November launch

For a simultaneous worldwide launch they need to start manufacturing from the beginning of the year, for sure (and they'll still be chasing demand well into 2021).

Even for MS, whom i'm Sure won't want to be splitting up the world into 1st and 2nd tier regions again.

TDP is, in most cases, a meaningless number as it doesn't actually say anything about the power draw, just some half-made up number about thermal cooling requirements.

Not really true at all. TDP impacts majorly on the cost of the console overall, since it determines the:
  • Cost and complexity of the cooling solution
  • Cost and complexity of the PCB layout
  • Which in turn influences the size, dimensions and weight of the console
  • Which in turn influences the shipping and handling costs for distribution
TDP is largely related to console power consumption which defines the power delivery system and cost and design of the PSU, which also influenced the above.

Overall, TDP will be related to overall console cost with a curve whose gradient increases above a certain inflection point (which will comprise the area around where the sweet spot for design will reside).

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Consoles have very limited space inside the case and a water cooling solution is just too expensive, complex and space restrained. They also need to keep the power draw reasonable to avoid EU rejecting their self-imposed power "efficient gaming" initiative and imposing hard limits.

Damn, I didn't know about that. I wish there was no god damn EU power restriction for gaming consoles. It fucks things up for NA and the rest of the world since a PS5/Xbox in NA cannot be more powerful than the limits imposed by the EU.

How does this apply to high-end PCs over there?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Damn, I didn't know about that. I wish there was no god damn EU power restriction for gaming consoles. It fucks things up for NA and the rest of the world since a PS5/Xbox in NA cannot be more powerful than the limits imposed by the EU.

CLCs are a non-starter because of their failure modes. Every other consideration is subordinate to that concern IMO.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

Because there isn't. Not for the power draw while they're doing work. EU might do something if they draw too much power while idling, and that's what the self-regulation adresses, mainly.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Right now, game performance is better on PS5. I believe that is probably because PS5 development hardware and software are in a more advanced state. I fully expect Scarlett to close that gap once they ship more mature dev kits and software.

Also

It must be said, since software, not hardware, is a traditional Microsoft area of expertise, it's very possible that they could ultimately deliver more advanced DirecX development software in the end allowing games to run better on Scarlett even if the hardware is less capable.

I don't know this to be the case, but the possibility can't be discounted.
Does your source base his assumption of power delta based on dev kit performance or based on target specs?

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How long have you had a cat as an avatar? I had no idea who you were.

lol that's a bit of a stretch. Not saying it's not possible, but it would go against what we've been hearing from insiders.
Insiders have already said MS has not been very communicative. I've said it before in other threads, but I fully expect MS to have the most powerful console out of the two next year.

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Any of you played Dreams? I wonder if launching and getting into a game on PS5 can be as fast as that, I'm not sure how they did it but it's crazy fast.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
So there is small performance advantage ps5 devkit vs scarlett devkit but can increase in final consoles :-)
There is a possibility.

Really the thing to not mix up here is Klee's dev friends words (PS5 performs better) with Klee's guesses (maybe Xbox could improve).
Which, you know, maybe it could, but it's not insider knowledge.

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
"No one gets left behind".

That quote is about still supporting older hardware with releases, it was regarding X1 vanilla owners not being left behind when X1X came out. This is about buying Gears 5 on X1 and when you get a Scarlett if there is a Gears 5 release on there then you get that for free.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I would like to hear Sony talk about frame rate more and make that a priority like MS is doing in their messaging.
MS is only doing that because they know they have to rely on cross gen games for the first year or so. its very easy to make last gen games run at 120 fps and have that be your main selling point when Sony will be using all those extra resources to make their games look prettier and more interactive at 30 fps.

i can bet within a year or two, MS studios will be back to making 30 fps next gen only games.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
MS tools will not going to be so far behind that you see a huge jump either way they will close .

MS is only doing that because they know they have to rely on cross gen games for the first year or so. its very easy to make last gen games run at 120 fps and have that be your main selling point when Sony will be using all those extra resources to make their games look prettier and more interactive at 30 fps.

i can bet within a year or two, MS studios will be back to making 30 fps next gen only games.

Yep if you want 60fps for the whole gen go PC that is the safest bet since MS games now on there.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Except we know the target specs favoured PS5 from Reiner, and that, if anything, XBox devkit perform better than final hardware, which hasn't been the case for PS dev kits.
wth is this? Reiner stated that power was for the target spec.

Reiner said something to the effect that "devs get specs." As far as I recall there was never a definitive statement he made saying that what he heard was with regard to devkit specs or target specs - it was left unclear. He basically said that: at the time PS5 was more powerful than Scarlett, that that was based on flops, info came from dev(s) who talk, and that devs get specs for working on next gen games.

Perhaps I did miss a tweet where he definitively mentioned this, if you can find it I'd like to see it.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don't know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we're giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference, it would be obvious.

Blast from the past, eh? :)
i know ive said this before. but at the time it was a full fat 50% advantage. they only closed the gap to 40% 2 months after this post. i know its PR and hes just doing his job but as a numbers guy, it really bugs me even after all these years. lol

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
C'mon folks. Insiders both public and hidden have told us that PS5 will be the most powerful and the fastest console out of the two and we've heard this for nearly six months already. Why do we constantly have this song and dance and begging insiders for any new morsel of info about who's the most powerful?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I talk with the tone about what we have and that 7nm+ only gives 10-15% perf inc at best. and amd has a problem with tdp on gpus.

So with what exists nothing points to console to have something more powerfull than a 5700XT.

What u mean credentials? I prefer to believe in reality. Never console had top powerfull gpus like current gen gpus on PC. So you want me to believe that next-gen will have a equivalent of RTX 2080(since guys claim more powerfull than a 5700XT)... yeah right...
PS4 had the full 7870 GPU with 20 CUs albeit 2 disabled. PS4 Pro had the 480 GPU with 4 EXTRA CUs which they disabled. X1X had the 580 GPU with 8 EXTRA CUs. Both the 480 and 580 launched with GPUs released the same years. The Pro even had features that were in vega GPUs that released a year after the Pro.

Why is it so hard to believe that the PS5 and X2 will have the 5800 series of GPUs? especially now that they dont have to worry about launching the console at $399 and for profit like MS did with the x1x.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
C'mon folks. Insiders both public and hidden have told us that PS5 will be the most powerful and the fastest console out of the two and we've heard this for nearly six months already. Why do we constantly have this song and dance and begging insiders for any new morsel of info about who's the most powerful?

Cause for some people the base line being very high not good enough .
The need the most powerful system when it not even going matter if they that close to each other .

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
I talk with the tone about what we have and that 7nm+ only gives 10-15% perf inc at best. and amd has a problem with tdp on gpus.

So with what exists nothing points to console to have something more powerfull than a 5700XT.

What u mean credentials? I prefer to believe in reality. Never console had top powerfull gpus like current gen gpus on PC. So you want me to believe that next-gen will have a equivalent of RTX 2080(since guys claim more powerfull than a 5700XT)... yeah right...
Isn't Xbox one X between GTX 1060 and 1070? GTX 1070 is better than GTX980. When consoles release Nvidia will have RTX3000 series, so why is it hard to believe that console would release around power between RTX3060 and 3070, which will be about power of RTX2080-2080 super.

We have verified people claiming that type of performance and you seem to ignore it and instead go by your own assumptions despite valid claims of insiders.

Fact is that we don't know power envelope Sony/MS are working with, nor do we know what type of cooling solutions they have.
There is no requirement for them to have less than 350mm^2 soc nor to be under 250w.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Some more probably irrelevant information that i'll post anyway as i find it interesting, seems like AMD are making a navi 10 based mobile GPU for laptops?

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
We still remember Albert Penello's classic post from September 2013 on that other forum and how it turned out in the end. I quoted it on the previous page.
We all know their mistake was going for a sure thing with their ram choices and realestate it cost them on the GPU. We also know that they came up with great cooling solutions and that they are willing to increase clocks at last minute.

If rumors are true and they have higher CU count it's a given that they'll sacrifice a few DB for sake of few hundred flops to match the power of PS5. There's a reason Spencer sounded cocky with power/price claims.

And from what Klee is saying sounds like they are further behind than Sony on their dev kits which means they are further behind on having final outputs.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Because a lot of people live by having the best X (which can be anything) than their neighbours. It is mostly the consequence of a lack of self esteem / confidence. Sometimes, it is also a cultural thing (I am looking at you, America)

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
PS4 had the full 7870 GPU with 20 CUs albeit 2 disabled. PS4 Pro had the 480 GPU with 4 EXTRA CUs which they disabled. X1X had the 580 GPU with 8 EXTRA CUs. Both the 480 and 580 launched with GPUs released the same years. The Pro even had features that were in vega GPUs that released a year after the Pro.

Why is it so hard to believe that the PS5 and X2 will have the 5800 series of GPUs? especially now that they dont have to worry about launching the console at $399 and for profit like MS did with the x1x.
Pro had a downgrade 470( 470 tflops is 4.9) pro is 4.2
7870 has 2.56 tflops and 7850 has 1,76(in line with ps4)

so no, ps4 didn't have a 7870, the gpu is in line with 7850.

580, 7850, 7870, 470 are all mid range GPUS, console never had the top tier gpus.

this can change? yes
is it probably that changes? No

because tdp from AMD mid range gpus are really high even in 7nm(5700 and 5700XT)..
So I prefer to wait and see, because with bigger GPU they will need a better cooler solution and all this will be expensive even for $499 with a SSD

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Missing out on halo and forza for the first year will be tough but if ps5 is more powerful than that will be the way to go for me year one

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see why people are comparing last gen to this one when it comes to GPU tech in consoles .
This gen the consoles will be coming out with AMD latests that not even fully out yet and they hand in certain aspect .
What this mean power we can't be certain but them having RT and VSR already show it not as simple as last gen .

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Isn't Xbox one X between GTX 1060 and 1070? GTX 1070 is better than GTX980. When consoles release Nvidia will have RTX3000 series, so why is it hard to believe that console would release around power between RTX3060 and 3070, which will be about power of RTX2080-2080 super.

We have verified people claiming that type of performance and you seem to ignore it and instead go by your own assumptions despite valid claims of insiders.

Fact is that we don't know power envelope Sony/MS are working with, nor do we know what type of cooling solutions they have.
There is no requirement for them to have less than 350mm^2 soc nor to be under 250w.
I don't ignore, but they are insiders and not a official release statement, We have contradictory information, We don't know if they are talking about dev kits or final product. Dev kits usually are stronger than the final product.

I prefer to wait and see, first RDNA2 reveal @CES to check the ceiling for consoles and then the reveal.

It would be awesome to have a console with 10+ RDNA flops I just don't think is doable at a reasonable price and TDP

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
We all know their mistake was going for a sure thing with their ram choices and realestate it cost them on the GPU. We also know that they came up with great cooling solutions and that they are willing to increase clocks at last minute.

If rumors are true and they have higher CU count it's a given that they'll sacrifice a few DB for sake of few hundred flops to match the power of PS5. There's a reason Spencer sounded cocky with power/price claims.

And from what Klee is saying sounds like they are further behind than Sony on their dev kits which means they are further behind on having final outputs.
We have nothing substantial on actual CU count, beyond speculation.
The only thing we do know is that Sony seems to be testing high clock speeds, but that's about it.
Obviously things can change for XBox devkits, but Sony could touch up theirs too, seeing as late minute changes can happen on both sides (if anything we've seen even higher CU speeds floating around for PS5).

Saying "we'll not be out of position on power or price" also sounds pretty tame, especially by XBX standards.
It's basically saying "we won't be more expensive and worse again".

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
How big do people think the APU is going to be, a 5700XT is already 251 mm² at 7nm, without a CPU, add additional I/0 and a CPU even with reduced caching and you'd pushing the upper ranges of the 320-380mm which the consoles APU's have been inhabiting.

I have a hard time seeing an APU physically more capable than a 5700XT in terms given the 5700XT's 40 CU are all active, and for yield you've got imagine that will not be the case for a console APU. They might run it faster (although the curve doesn't look particular promising on that front) but I'm having a hard time seeing it be bigger than that.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Because a lot of people live by having the best X (which can be anything) than their neighbours. It is mostly the consequence of a lack of self esteem / confidence. Sometimes, it is also a cultural thing (I am looking at you, America)
But my neighbor does have the best X. Mine is louder than a hair dryer and hotter than a well done pop tart while his is almost inaudible but still a hot pop tart.

Missing out on halo and forza for the first year will be tough but if ps5 is more powerful than that will be the way to go for me year one
Game pass and xcloud will get you decently close to the real thing. Forza has been the major reason I buy every xbox. The only exclusive I buy hardware for.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I don't ignore, but they are insiders and not a official release statement, We have contradictory information, We don't know if they are talking about dev kits or final product. Dev kits usually are stronger than the final product.

I prefer to wait and see, first RDNA2 reveal @CES to check the ceiling for consoles and then the reveal.

It would be awesome to have a console with 10+ RDNA flops I just don't think is doable at a reasonable price and TDP

Sony devs kits were not stronger than there final product if i remember right aside from more ram for the last set .
At least for this gen can't remember about older ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.