• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
The Tipster that leaked the correct PS5 Prospero codename to Gizmodo, did leak that both consoles have different raytracing and that MS camera was better than Prospero.
This implies that Scarlett devkits along with PS5 devkits was already in the hands of developers.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
lol by the process of elimination it's probably that way.

buuut, since both systems are similar with only minor differences in teraflop power I dont think it would make much difference... other than RT since MS uses DXR?

Who knows. Better people can make better assumptions.
it makes a difference cause their developing tools are different and devs need to get a hang of it so they can optimize game for that platform

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The Tipster that leaked the correct PS5 Prospero codename to Gizmodo, did leak that both consoles have different raytracing and that MS camera was better than Prospero.
This implies that Scarlett devkits along with PS5 devkits was already in the hands of developers.
Didn't Microsoft shortly after come out and say that the whole thing about them working on a new improved camera was bullshit?

Feb 26, 2018
Matt with all that stuff twitted by Tom can you say us something about Scarlett devkits? Because that part about not sending them to surprise Sony sounds kinda unbelievable.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Of course it is . It would be unheard of a console manufacturer to not send devs dev kit 18 months before the launch .and that's bare minimum .

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It is funny to see all of the "objective" next gen posters jump all over anything that sounds remotely interesting or positive regarding next generation Xbox Scarlett. It will be nice to get final specs and reveals on these things to get past this hamster wheel phase of things :)

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Scarlett devkit being MIA is... weird, really. The thing about "surprising Sony" is complete BS - I don't doubt Warren heard that from his sources, but that's just not how this works - but there's something going on, with the shift in messaging and everything else.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
It is funny to see all of the "objective" next gen posters jump all over anything that sounds remotely interesting or positive regarding next generation Xbox Scarlett. It will be nice to get final specs and reveals on these things to get past this hamster wheel phase of things :)

Yeah, it's been one hell of a ride, whatever happens.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tom Warren looks like someone who definitely has sources in MS though.

Tom Warren is a Senior Editor for The Verge. Tom previously founded WinRumors, a site dedicated to Microsoft news, before joining The Verge. Tom also used to work as an enterprise project manager in a variety of investment banks, and has a background in IT and Windows engineering.

Who knows, it could be PR from Microsoft, but since it is nothing of consequence, I'm taking it on his word and that he trusts his source to tell him the truth.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
You mean this track record?

The AMD "Arcturus" part gets me every time
giphy.gif

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tom Warren looks like someone who definitely has sources in MS though.

Who knows, it could be PR from Microsoft, but since it is nothing of consequence, I'm taking it on his word and that he trusts his source to tell him the truth.
Well we will see how credible tom is .Last gen we heard the same thing from albert who was working in MS and didnt need contact . We know what he said and how it turned out . So again we shall wait and see

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
THIS

so i don't think Tom or Klo are right here MS and Sony need to send the Final Specs Now or before the end of this year So all cross Gen Games are ready for the release

Feb 10, 2018
Scarlett devkit being MIA is... wierd, really. The thing about "surprising Sony" is complete BS - I don't doubt Warren heard that from his sources, but that's just not how this works - but there's something going on, with the shift in messaging and everything else.
That's not how it works?
Why not?
For all we no they could have better cpu, raytracing or ram features not fully enabled yet.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
After being in this thread for so long it 's surprising that people still believe nonsense like that tweet .
At this point in time there no surprising anyone both MS and Sony have a idea of what each other doing hardware wise.
There is nothing that can be done to change the system specs to much .
It's like some of you people learn nothing from last gen lol.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
That's not how developers learn about console specs - ever.
And no, it's not the case for this coming gen either.

Thank you for bringing level-headed facts into this discussion.

Tom Warren is a verified poster that is an editor from Virge with an established track record of Microsoft inside information, so it would be unwise to ignore his comments about Scarlett dev kits here. We are in for a very interesting 2020 :)

He may be right but the tweet reads more like speculation than actuaal info. he heard from somewhere, and in the absence of any explicit clarification, you should probably take it as such.

So if they need 5 million on launch they need to start may to June, no ?

5m is nowhere near enough. Double that is more likely, otherwise they'll be chasing demand well into late 2020---and neither wants that.

Has there been any recent news about TSMC's 7nm production issues? Last I heard they were maxed out and possibly behind schedule.

Maxed out and behind schedule on which production lines, mobile or high perf.? Source?

TSMC is a huge foundry with multiple process lines. They also haven't started manufacturing console chips, so issues on other products won't affect console part manufacturing at all.

You mean this track record?

Lol.

Relax Mr persecution complex. It's really not that deep.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said, who knows, and most importantly, I'd rather trust his word than take that assumption.

I just find it funny that a couple of tweets causes this thread to start to question and doubt the motives and information from two people in the industry who also happen to contribute to this thread from time to time as well.

I wonder what could have caused that to happen?

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
That's not how it works?
Why not?

Devs have had target specs for a while now. They're not gonna change the feature set or power envelope meaningfully, and, specially, they're not going to do so less than a year before the console launches. These boxes have to go into production in 3, 4 months tops. There's no "surprise" happening here beyond a couple of frequency tweaks - 5, 10% here or there - or maybe some memory adjustment if the initial configuration allows for it (i.e PS4 configuration allowed for clamshell).

People have to get in their minds that both of these machines were designed, 2 years ago-ish, to squeeze every single droplet of perf they can from the get go. Once you're locked into that envelope, there isn't much wiggle room.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been saying for a while that I believe scarlett will be more powerful, if I am wrong I will gladly eat crow, but when I am proven right I will be obnoxious about it. I will link back to these threads A LOT.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It's no one's style.

MS is behind Sony in the process. That's neither a bad thing or an attempt at Sun Tzu shit, it's just how it is.
I guess this debunks the chinese rumor that oberon (PS5) is behind schedule for holiday 2020 date
Thanks for the input in this thread matt :)

Feb 10, 2018
We are reaching again the second secret gpu stuff lol .what does ram or cpu not fully enabled mean ?

Maybe some more ram is allocated for the OS then planned for final retail. There RT implementation could be running on a earlier version, cpu could be clocked lower, some cache could not be all enabled on a software level.
Or maybe they are just earlier less powerful dev kits.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Tom Warren is a verified poster that is an editor from Virge with an established track record of Microsoft inside information, so it would be unwise to ignore his comments about Scarlett dev kits here.
Let's look at them then...

"hardly anyone has them, and they're nowhere near final."
- reasonable, sensible, believable.

"Microsoft wants to surprise Sony this time"
- *roll eyes*

Lmao at all these "MS will surprise Sony" comments. Feels like 2012 all over again.
The main surprise from Microsoft last gen was just how hot their kit and sdk came in so close to launch with basic functionality broken or missing so close to launch. At less than 12 months to next gen and at most half that to manufacturing starting, there's no platformholder keeping everyone - dev community and rivals alike - that much in the dark as to what they're going with. That's bordering on misterxmedia levels of sauciness.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I just find it funny that a couple of tweets causes this thread to start to question and doubt the motives and information from two people in the industry who also happen to contribute to this thread from time to time as well.

Please point to the specific recent posts where anyone threw shade at other sources just because Tom Warren's tweet was being talked about.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying for a while that I believe scarlett will be more powerful, if I am wrong I will gladly eat crow, but when I am proven right I will be obnoxious about it. I will link back to these threads A LOT.
I mean, you aren't really saying anything. One of them will obviously be more powerful. It has already been said over and over again how both will be really close in power though. It doesn't matter which one is ever so slightly more powerful.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's what I think so too. Think it's hypocritical to criticise what happened to Reiner and then this. It's why I'd rather take both of their words for it, that

a) Currently the PS5 looks to be more powerful

and

b) Microsoft is probably not close to having a final devkit yet.

I wont rule MS out yet in being more powerful, considering they managed to overlock the Xbox One after they revealed it, AND that from what we know that the power difference from both consoles is probably less than 10%.

And even more powerful could be something minor like a 1% difference. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Also to be fair, the leaked comparisons have only been around the GPU. We don't know how the CPU, RAM, and SSD are different and who leads in what.

Status
Not open for further replies.