• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Most of SSD have SLC NAND chips for cache, ReRam's price is almost same as SLC NAND.

I'll backpedal a bit - there could be reram, but I am not 100% sold it would be a benefit over cheaper, lower power requirement nvmessd. Even a smaller amount as a cache might be useful? But then you are adding another controller and more chips on the motherboard. But if its in there, it is probably really exciting.

Now, here's really really bad speculation, but I thought it would have been interesting if part of the MS/Sony deal was to have the systems standardize on he same storage tech. Why is this important? Because if both consoles use it, it's more likely to end up being something you can do on PC, and all that combined could really drive adoption which is a real boon for a new tech, AND makes it more likely that 3rd parties will exploit the tech. So, custom controller, or re-ram, or whatever, having parity and availability for PC would be huge.

Just, that's not how sony usually rolls, so.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
What are the odds of MCC getting a port with all the content, and patches on disc for Scarlett? :0

By the way, I played a bit of Prey(x1x) and the loading times are atrocious. I hope it gets patched for Scarlett, and makes use of the ssd.

Lock and Scarlett combination is one way of ensuring I get the ps5.

Don't do it MS. 😔

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
What are the odds of MCC getting a port with all the content, and patches on disc for Scarlett? :0

By the way, I played a bit of Prey(x1x) and the loading times are atrocious. I hope it gets patched for Scarlett, and makes use of the ssd.

Lock and Scarlett combination is one way of ensuring I get the ps5.

Don't do it MS. 😔
I think MCC will be one of those games that will get patched to run at 4k120 on Scarlett. Its already 4K60 on X1X so it would be rather easy.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I think Lockhart is a narwhale unicorn. It exists, but its not at all what you think it is.

The great thing about code names is their mutability. During development they represent a concept or an aspirational goal rather than a specific, concrete product. One concept for what Lockhart might be could well have been cancelled before a new idea took its place. What was different silicon could simply be a SKU without a physical media drive, or a binned version of the Scarlett silicon, or any of a dozen other ideas now that the next generation is getting to the point where go-to-market details have to be finalized.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I think MCC will be one of those games that will get patched to run at 4k120 on Scarlett. Its already 4K60 on X1X so it would be rather easy.
That would be crazy. I wouldn't hold it against them if it's a straight 4k60 with everything on disc, including ODST, reach and 5.

The amount of work they've put into MCC since release is amazing.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
The great thing about code names is their mutability. During development they represent a concept or an aspirational goal rather than a specific, concrete product. One concept for what Lockhart might be could well have been cancelled before a new idea took its place. What was different silicon could simply be a SKU without a physical media drive, or a binned version of the Scarlett silicon, or any of a dozen other ideas now that the next generation is getting to the point where go-to-market details have to be finalized.
I agree. What I am thinking is that whatever "2nd launch SKU" concept it was is long gone, but as you say, perhaps morphed into something else.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Screenshot_20191202-174202_Drive.jpg

Is this supposed to be 8 memory chips? 16GB GDDR6?

Ah darn
It's a PS4 PCB in the patent (notice the 2017 file date, and outline matches teardowns) Though I suspect PS5 will be 8 chip too.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I wrong to think that there's nothing to be worried about with 16GB GDDR6, especially with the crazy amount of GB/s that's more than enough for 4k gaming.

I mean, more is surely better though.

Feb 10, 2018
16gb has always seemed a bit small imo, 4gb will likely be used by the OS leaving only 12gb for games, seems very small for a next gen leap.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
What happened? Why is lockhart back in the discussion? I have a memory of Klee shutting down that rumor, but I'm not sure if I'm mis-remembering that.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Unless we get a last minute density bump then, surprise motherfucker, 32GB :D

That ain't happening, fam.
And i really see no reason for more then 16GB GDDR6 overall considering it will also have very fast custom SSD.

If one wants to cut costs and keep low ($399) price ,first thing i would do is put only 16 gigs of memory and smaller (512GB or so) SSD.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I wrong to think that there's nothing to be worried about with 16GB GDDR6, especially with the crazy amount of GB/s that's more than enough for 4k gaming.

I mean, more is surely better though.
depends on how much space those megascans take up in the VRAM. if we are getting photorealistic textures next gen, they will take up a lot more space than current gen textures even at 4k.

the worlds are going to be denser and a lot more packed with detail than current gen, and SSDs wont help with detail on show at any given point. whats on your screen needs to be loaded on to the vram, and if the vram is only 3x more than current gen then all the SSD in the world isnt going to make a difference when it comes to adding distinct objects and textures on screen at once.

SSD will help with streaming as the RAM quickly loads and unloads data while you traverse the game world. unless, we are looking at some kind of ReRAM situation, 16GB might end up being the bottleneck in a 12+ tflops GPU that could render highly detailed worlds.

16gb has always seemed a bit small imo, 4gb will likely be used by the OS leaving only 12gb for games, seems very small for a next gen leap.

they will likely be using cheaper DDR4 ram for the OS. no need to waste expensive GDDR6 RAM as anything other than VRAM.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
What happened? Why is lockhart back in the discussion? I have a memory of Klee shutting down that rumor, but I'm not sure if I'm mis-remembering that.
tom warren is saying that MS might be planning for lockhart post launch, but only way i think that might happen is if "lockhart" becomes the streaming box.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
i just wish for there to be an additional 4GB DDR4 for the OS to sit on so that 16GB GDDR6 can be fully utilized.
Frankly,i wish they won't do that. It would only make things unnecessarily more complex,with another memory controller etc. 12-13GB for games is enough.

Just do 2X PS4 8GB,this time GDDR6 instead of 5 and be done with it.

Feb 10, 2018
depends on how much space those megascans take up in the VRAM. if we are getting photorealistic textures next gen, they will take up a lot more space than current gen textures even at 4k.

the worlds are going to be denser and a lot more packed with detail than current gen, and SSDs wont help with detail on show at any given point. whats on your screen needs to be loaded on to the vram, and if the vram is only 3x more than current gen then all the SSD in the world isnt going to make a difference when it comes to adding distinct objects and textures on screen at once.

SSD will help with streaming as the RAM quickly loads and unloads data while you traverse the game world. unless, we are looking at some kind of ReRAM situation, 16GB might end up being the bottleneck in a 12+ tflops GPU that could render highly detailed worlds.

they will likely be using cheaper DDR4 ram for the OS. no need to waste expensive GDDR6 RAM as anything other than VRAM.

That's sound better, 3x the size and 3x the bandwidth, not bad.

Jun 18, 2018

SSD will help with streaming as the RAM quickly loads and unloads data while you traverse the game world. unless, we are looking at some kind of ReRAM situation, 16GB might end up being the bottleneck in a 12+ tflops GPU that could render highly detailed world.

Whilst you're right about more assets and more spaces requiring more memory, you're overlooking the potential super-fast SSDs provide when it comes to pushong more fine gran streaming of resources compared to how we do things now.

That coupled with various methods of virtualization of geometry and textures you could see massive improvements in memory efficiency compared to games built for the current gen of hardware, enabling the ability to increase holistic memory requirement of a typical area or space beyond the total increase in available ram*.

Whether that's VRam or otherwise. I don't foresee anyone moving away from a general unified RAM approach.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Yes but those polys rendered at less pixels would still require less gpu power.

You really think a ryzen 3700 with a rx6600 is not going to be able to play next gen 3rd party games at 1080p? And maybe reduced settings.

Geometry is processed on a GPU with a mostly fixed function pipeline prior to any rasterisation or shading. A smaller GPU will have less geometry processing performance and no amount of reducing resolution will offset that.

That would be ideal, but in the modern AAA landscape, completely unfeasible, LOL. Imagine if devs had to cater for a 4 TFlops Lockhart, we'll be getting 200K polys for main character models as the baseline instead of 400K polys if the baseline was 10TFlops. I want my individual strands of hair next gen, damn it

That's precisely the point. A weak Lockhart will mean everything is developed to cater to the lowest denominator, i.e. Lockhart. Hence, Lockhart holds back the generation of third party games; for the sake of a benefit to no-one other than Xbox's price position marketing.

Pathetic Lockhart spec, lol.

Yes, a 4TF Lockhart would be pathetic.

Feb 10, 2018
Geometry is processed on a GPU with a mostly fixed function pipeline prior to any rasterisation or shading. A smaller GPU will have less geometry processing performance and no amount of reducing resolution will offset that.

That's precisely the point. A weak Lockhart will mean everything is developed to cater to the lowest denominator, i.e. Lockhart. Hence, Lockhart holds back the generation of third party games; for the sake of a benefit to no-one other than Xbox's price position marketing.

Yes but that is a fraction of the GPU in most cases.
Take current gen games, all of them can run on 700gflop GPUs.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lovely emotive language, tell us how you really feel, lol.

After Brad Sams latest article this thread will be a riot for the next few months. Buckle up folks, its about to get bumpy :)

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably easier to create a CG illusion with games that are mostly about art (KH3, Crash bandicoot etc) and I predict that it'll take 2 more gens for them to be in the same realm as movies.
Depends on which movies we're talking about. As DF noted in their analysis, in many aspects real time rendering is ahead of Toy Story, in some regards even far ahead. The only aspect it can't compete on is the geometric density. I'd say real time rendering is currently a good match for early 2000s CG movies too. Not from a purely technical perspective of course since offline CG will just brute force everything, but how the visuals look overall

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A little weary when anything bad said about the Xbox is considered console warring.

We have to watch our language when talking about the specs now? I dont think it's pathetic, but I also think it's a fairly standard thing to say here when everyone was getting depressed for a bit after we found out console over 12 teraflops is close to impossible with what we know (which was weird seeing it also came with the knowledge that RDNA's performance was 1.5 times better than GCN)

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About Lockhart still being a thing, I'll be very surprised if it's the low spec machine that was rumored, when there wasn't even a hint of that during the E3 presentation, and questions asked about it later.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
Not sure if already mentioned but in Brad Sams latest video he says he's heard from multiple reliable sources that Lockhart is still a thing and perhaps it was never gone to begin with.

I won't say it's a mistake. I just don't understand where it fits into the ecosystem and the extra work for devs. Then again, they're also making games for the minefield, that's PC gaming.

I do wonder if this means devs making exclusive PS5 titles will squeeze that little bit more out of the hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.