• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
This was Blake Jorgensen talking about how EA is making all its games for high end PC's and then porting down.

The Witcher 2 had PC as its lead platform. This was because it was the most powerful.....and that seems to still be their philosophy seeing the context of the question that was answered.

Yves Guillemot who is Ubisoft CEO talked about how Watchdogs was targeting PC as lead platform. It was also the lead platform for Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag. But that is not all, PC was lead platform for Far Cry 4.

But you could go back to games like Grid, you could add Crysis 2, or Tekken 7, or every game that has started on PC and has ended up in console. I could go on and on.

If people were not so blinded by their hate for a lower res console, maybe there would be space for them to realize that porting down is a rather common occurrence, and one that was not birthed by Playground Games either. Some of the biggest third party developers have had zero issue porting down, for years now, some going back all the way to the original Xbox, and that is as far as I will go because that is when I started paying attention.
man you need to chill , that is quite a research and for that kudos to you.

BUT do u know they still need to adjust to console right ? there is sales in console market and they want that.
lets talk about Crysis 2, what happen to that game ? pc gamers was furious with crysis 2 and 3 changes to make accessible on console and lower end pc.
Not every developer openly talk about this. Of course they are targeting PC as lead platform but that doesn't mean that there is minimum requirement. if that is that case , PC should have already develop games around SSD and killed NExt Gen big thing .

You are misunderstanding the fact that ( at least me ) most debate because overall game might limited due to low spec, not just res. As we don't know what the spec will be or even will be released at all but clearly MS decision for this because they want to leverage in business sense. that is not wrong . i only debating because you constantly stated that this lower end will not limit or effect game development and your down scaling is as cheap and easy as up scaling comment, that is where all this starts and still going .

if MS release Lockhart , Sony still will release games with talking full advantage.
it goes other way too. In the end, we still getting good games and tech advancement every gen.
I'm for sure buying PS5 because of their games , and will do the same if MS games interest me.

Last edited:

Stider

Oct 25, 2017
The concern I would have with Lockhart is IF the difference in specs influences game design. If it is just purely resolution then fine, but if developers have to possibly change things(npc count, world size, etc.) because they wouldn't be possible on Lockhart then that is concerning. Hell I say this as someone who is almost solely in the PS ecosphere.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
If project Xcloud runs on S units I wonder that that means for One in general. Seems like a big investment for a aging platform.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
I'm looking forward to reading all the outrage when Nvidia releases something like the GTX 1660 Ti again when an RTX 2080 Ti is already available. It will totally ruin PC gaming, because game developers will only target the 1660 Ti and this will hold back next gen graphics!!! Oh, wait, that's not reality.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
The concern I would have with Lockhart is IF the difference in specs influences game design. If it is just purely resolution then fine, but if developers have to possibly change things(npc count, world size, etc.) because they wouldn't be possible on Lockhart then that is concerning. Hell I say this as someone who is almost solely in the PS ecosphere.

Yes , we will know about this only when the spec released. If it has weight into it then it doesn't matter.

For sure Ms already confirm the spec and some key devs might already in loop. maybe feedback are mixed reaction hence the on off trigger.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to reading all the outrage when Nvidia releases something like the GTX 1660 Ti again when an RTX 2080 Ti is already available. It will totally ruin PC gaming, because game developers will only target the 1660 Ti and this will hold back next gen graphics!!! Oh, wait, that's not reality.

MS own games is also releasing on PC targeting only 2080 Ti! Oh wait, that not a reality either.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ofc, publishers could just choose to ignore Lockhart unless MS makes developing on it a condition to develop for Anaconda/Scarlett.
Ofc, publishers could just choose to ignore millions that are made with Xbox which are not compensated by the PS platform to fulfill fanboy wishes on resetera. Due to a system which has likely a small entry price for next-gen and thus a high potential for mass adoption.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There will be no games that run on an 8 core Zen 2 / GDDR6 RAM / NVMe SSD / Navi GPU with X CUs but wouldn't run at all on a system with an 8 core Zen 2 CPU / GDDR6 RAM / NVMe SSD / Navi GPU with X/3 CUs. This is not a real scenario. Witcher 3 has been ported to Switch.
I know you can port any operation running on a supercluster to a Texas Instrument calc, even solved it with only two fingers if needed.

What I am saying is that considering the minimum requirement for a videogame, if Lockhart is located between 4-6Tf and mandatory to use for those wanting to publish on Anaconda, creatives will have an hard limitation that won't exist on PlayStation.

The hardest part to figure from a prosumer/enduser point of view is to stop considering for a moment that resolution, framerate and post-processing effect would be the only criteria impacting performances.

II was talking about creatives having to fill a scene in Maya or Cinema 4D. You can't put more on that scene for the Anaconda envelop that what could fit in the Lockhart envelop while staying playable, no matter how resolution scaling is efficient.

And visuals also interact and respond to CPU physics, scripting and AI, it's not like these domains were separated where keeping one and reduce the other would be balanced by a post-processing effect.

For a movie, it would mean Steven Scarlett having a better camera than Robert Playstation, but Steven would be limited to shot in the New Jersey and Florida while Robert could cover the entire US territory.

A majority of your Windows games are designed to run on a Xbox One Fat, that explains why the gap between the 1060 and the 2080 is filled with post-processing visual effects like resolution, framerate or RT and nothing related to the core design of the game.

Last edited:

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
It's about where the baseline is. If Microsoft still puts that baseline at Scarlett, then fine. But if they put it at a theoretical 4TF, then why is it so difficult for some people to understand that there would be a clear difference comparatively? Surely we all agree that there is a difference between what developers are capable of when jumping from one generation to the next, and that that difference is owed for a large part to more powerful machines?

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Is Bethesda lying that they're going to do stuff in The Elder Scrolls 6 that isn't possible on PS4/One? Why would they do that if it's so easily scalable?

"Just turn down the resolution/effects guys..."

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So the developers that are worried about the impact of lockhart on their ambitions are just lying? Or maybe they don't know how game development work?

Sirolf

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Le Mans , France

We're talking about the minimal baseline not the options available :)
With current gen games ,we have the 1S for the lowest denominator so the 1660 will do the job accordingly to its capacity..

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But Tom, this is the wrong view because consoles are so different to PC. Publishers will abandon Xbox as we write and speak, the baseline is just too low for a true next-gen jump and the PC comparison is off because. We need to push the medium forward, not backwards. How do you do that with only PS4 Pro performance?
(I can't believe people actually wrote that with a serious mind).

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

One of the major problems with PC is that devs don't take full advantage of the latest hardware .
But then that can also work out as plus since you can change settings .
That not the case with consoles.

But Tom, this is the wrong view because consoles are so different to PC. Publishers will abandon Xbox as we write and speak, the baseline is just too low for a true next-gen jump and the PC comparison is off because. We need to push the medium forward, not backwards. How do you do that with only PS4 Pro performance?
(I can't believe people actually wrote that with a serious mind).

Anyone that think pubs will abandon Xbox are idiots .
Wanting the baseline to be as high as possible is another matter all together .
In fact if i was a pc gamer i would also want the base to be high as possible to take advantage of my expensive hardware .

EDIT this goes for more than the GPU.

Last edited:

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
This is funny, considering that multiplatform games on PC are already held back by the vanilla Xbox One spec as their baseline.
Otherwise, a game that requires a 6th gen or newer Intel CPU and a 1070 would manage to do things literally impossible to run on OG XBO/PS4.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft needs to kill Lockhart, buy a couple of huge studios and price Scarlett at $399 if they want to beat PS5.

4TF baseline?

As things stand, Microsoft isn't just shooting themselves in the foot, they're blowing it clean off.
So you think they do that only to beat Sony? Perhaps that's a false assumption to begin your reasoning.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone that think pubs will abandon Xbox are idiots .
Wanting the baseline to be as high as possible is another matter all together .
In fact if i was a pc gamer i would also want the base to be high as possible to take advantage of my expensive hardware .
I have yet to read a convincing argument why a next-gen console that mainly has a GPU downgrade while the rest is next-gen in the system, especially when it is targeted for a lower resolution, the largest chunk a GPU spends resources in, is making the two other systems worse.
Again, the major performance bottlenecks currently are CPU, Storage and GPU bandwidth and all three will be way higher than anything we now have in the console space on Lockhart. Lockhart doesn't even have only a fourth of the GPU power of PS5 or Scarlett, unless you believe they will have 16TF.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree and I will repeat a sentiment I said earlier. MS as a company has no interest in pushing the industry forward. Their sole desire is to make money and control the industry. Of course companies like Sony and valve want to be profitable and it's their main goal. But part of their strategy to do so is by pushing the industry forward as a medium and pushing what games can do. Their studios reflect that, their consoles reflect that, their products reflect that, like PSVR. A product that was clear wasnt going to he profitable a lot or barely. But they pushed it and tried to push the medium forward. Was it to make a profit? Yes. But clearly pushing gaming forward is part of their strategy.

MS on the other hand simply want to own the living room, always have, always will. Every decision they make will be revolve around that. Whether it be kinect, tv and cable or Lockheart.

I seriously hope this is some 4D trolling. I honestly can't tell in next-gen threads anymorem

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to read a convincing argument why a next-gen console that mainly has a GPU downgrade while the rest is next-gen in the system, especially when it is targeted for a lower resolution, the largest chunk a GPU spends resources in, is making the two other systems worse.
Again, the major performance bottlenecks currently are CPU, Storage and GPU bandwidth and all three will be way higher than anything we now have in the console space on Lockhart. Lockhart doesn't even have only a fourth of the GPU power of PS5 or Scarlett, unless you believe they will have 16TF.

They also said the CPU might be downgrade also .
I waiting to see the full specs.
It will effect things the question is just how much and that will depend on certain factors.
Still i don't see a huge saving if the just lowering the GPU and getting rid of the UHD drive .
So we will see if other things have to get lower .

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They also said the CPU might be downgrade also .

Not downgraded, lower clocks. Which makes sense when your target is to run the games at a lower resolution.

I waiting to see the full specs.
Me, too! But even they will not tell us how this is bad for games, unless you are knee-deep into a current engine and can explain which part of your computing pipeline is gimped because of Lockhart's specs.

It will effect things the question is just how much and that will depend on certain factors.
But which exactly? We already know that you don't need 4x the GPU power going from 1080p to 4k, the difference does not have to be 400%. And guess what, it isn't for Lockhart. It's almost as if Microsoft did research on that (like they did with the X, as detailed by DF) and they know how to "downscale" the hardware so that it fits where they see it on the market.

Still i don't see a huge saving if the just lowering the GPU and getting rid of the UHD drive .

This could be related how MS wants to put this machine on the market. If it is to be the low-cost entry point to gamepass they might take a loss on the hardware to get you to be a long-term subscriber to gamepass. This is already happening elsewhere in the consumer market.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I still cant believe people spend money on a Xbox One, every game runs like shit on it. More and more games are optimized for the S and the X.

I expect the following scenario;

- Make the games run excellent on Scarlett,
- Good on Lockhart
- As good as possible on X
- One and S will be a bloodbath!

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
This could be related how MS wants to put this machine on the market. If it is to be the low-cost entry point to gamepass they might take a loss on the hardware to get you to be a long-term subscriber to gamepass. This is already happening elsewhere in the consumer market.

I okay with your other points than this one .
Losing money happens yeah but i can't remember the last time a company lose money on both the hardware and service side at the same time.
Still MS has the cash to do it for a long time.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
This is funny, considering that multiplatform games on PC are already held back by the vanilla Xbox One spec as their baseline.
Otherwise, a game that requires a 6th gen or newer Intel CPU and a 1070 would manage to do things literally impossible to run on OG XBO/PS4.

PC's with highend components do things that are impossible on consoles so the PC version of a game is not hold back by a fictional baseline.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I okay with your other points than this one .
Losing money happens yeah but i can't remember the last time a company lose money on both the hardware and service side at the same time.
Still MS has the cash to do it for a long time.
I didn't do the math, of course I could be wrong but saying that they also loose money on gamepass is a different story and perhaps not really part of the convo.
The only thing we know is that MS believes in gamepass and wants to have as many people subscribing to it as possible and this is what Lockhart is for.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
Is Bethesda lying that they're going to do stuff in The Elder Scrolls 6 that isn't possible on PS4/One? Why would they do that if it's so easily scalable?

Like I've said many times over and over in this read and elsewhere, next-gen consoles won't be a giant leap GPU wise. It's the CPU and SSD that will be key.

Earthed

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
PC's with highend components do things that are impossible on consoles so the PC version of a game is not hold back by a fictional baseline.
Very, VERY few games are fundamentally different on PC compared to their console counterpart, apart from things like Star Citizen. Anything an RTX 2080ti manages with for example RDR2 is additive, not transformative. The promise of new hardware as a baseline is to do things that otherwise wouldn't be possible. Like, for example, at the start of this gen, Shadow of Mordor. The last gen version didn't have the nemesis system, because they couldn't make it work on that hardware. Same goes for this upcoming gen.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Lockhart can do things that are not possible on PS4/One. A lot of them. The CPU will run circles around the Jaguar, storage will be way faster, GPU is way more modern in terms of what it can do and bandwidth...

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very, VERY few games are fundamentally different on PC compared to their console counterpart, apart from things like Star Citizen. Anything an RTX 2080ti manages with for example RDR2 is additive, not transformative. The promise of new hardware as a baseline is to do things that otherwise wouldn't be possible. Like, for example, at the start of this gen, Shadow of Mordor. The last gen version didn't have the nemesis system, because they couldn't make it work on that hardware. Same goes for this upcoming gen.
And you think the nemesis system was in because of the GPU jump only?

Earthed

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
And you think the nemesis system was in because of the GPU jump only?
The point is to illustrate that the relative power of the machines in question can have an effect on what's ultimately possible, because apparently, that's still being called into question. If it does turn out that Scarlett is the baseline, and that they manage to configure Lockheart in such a way that it can run Scarlett games, only at lower resolution and with fewer effects, then fine. But until then, let's not pretend that having a lower spec machine in the mix can't affect the games that will ultimately have to actually run on those machines.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Like I've said many times over and over in this read and elsewhere, next-gen consoles won't be a giant leap GPU wise. It's the CPU and SSD that will be key.

In terms of tech GPUs will be a bigger leap that they were this gen .
If XB is 10 plus TF it will be bigger jump in terms of performance than it was this gen and that is not talking about new things like RT and VSR.

EDIT i forget to mention since the CPU jump much bigger also that can help free up the GPU easier .

Last edited:

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously hope this is some 4D trolling. I honestly can't tell in next-gen threads anymorem

Surely MS have never innovated in the console space? /s
-- Broadband port in the OG Xbox
-- Xbox LIVE was ground breaking in that space too

I won't turn it into a petty list war, but that post is incredibly ignorant of the past.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The point is to illustrate that the relative power of the machines in question can have an effect on what's ultimately possible, because apparently, that's still being called into question. If it does turn out that Scarlett is the baseline, and that they manage to configure Lockheart in such a way that it can run Scarlett games, only at lower resolution and with fewer effects, then fine. But until then, let's not pretend that having a lower spec machine in the mix can't affect the games that will ultimately have to actually run on those machines.
Why should we then go on to paint a worse picture than what we know right now and use examples that don't resemble the situation at hand?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surely MS have never innovated in the console space? /s
-- Broadband port in the OG Xbox
-- Xbox LIVE was ground breaking in that space too

I won't turn it into a petty list war, but that post is incredibly ignorant of the past.

I'm also fan of the line about Microsoft being in gaming for the money. Well jeez, thanks for the illumination on that. I'm so glad we have honest companies like Nintendo and Sony who don't look at the bottom line and make games because they love gamers with all their heart, profits be damned.

And yeah, MS truly never innovated. Xbox Live, HDDs in a console, Game Pass...

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
The existence of Lockheart may or may not hinder the ambition of developers in terms of what type of games they design, but one thing is for sure, if it didn't exist there wouldn't even be a possibility of that.
And to all people acting like white knights here to save poor masses with MS by giving them a cheap option, this option already exists, it is called Xbox one or One X. It has a huge library of greatly discounted titles and you know what? If the developers want to take advantage of that huge install base all they need to do is build a cross gen game. Everyone's happy, simple. Why muddy the waters with next gen 0.5?

in short Lockheart seems like a bad idea

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
A 4TF GPU that is intended to not run at the same specs at the same time is not a generation behind.
True. But I think Sony can win a bit of the gamer PR battle. If people start saying that Xbox Scarlett games are scaled up PS4 Pro games whilst the PS5 is the baseline for next gen exclusives.

Though maybe it won't matter if it hits a low price point. The discless Xbox sold like hot cakes this black Friday.

Earthed

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Why should we then go on to paint a worse picture than what we know right now and use examples that don't resemble the situation at hand?
What we know? This is a literal quote from the kotaku article: "Game developers will be expected to support both Anaconda and Lockhart, which some are worried might hamper their ambitions for next-gen games in the coming years."

Like I said, let's not pretend this couldn't possibly have ramifications in terms of the games that eventually have to run on this.

Oct 25, 2017
The existence of Lockheart may or may not hinder the ambition of developers in terms of what type of games they design, but one thing is for sure, if it didn't exist there wouldn't even be a possibility of that.
And to all people acting like white knights here to save poor masses with MS by giving them a cheap option, this option already exists, it is called Xbox one or One X. It has a huge library of greatly discounted titles and you know what? If the developers want to take advantage of that huge install base all they need to do is build a cross gen game. Everyone's happy, simple. Why muddy the waters with next gen 0.5?

in short Lockheart seems like a bad idea

LMAO let the dirty unwashed masses enjoy their crappy last gen consoles and stay off our hardcore lawn

Mseditor

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Yes pretty sure a 1.84 tf gcn gpu as a baseline is very close to +10 tf navi gpu +rt as basline we don't have generational leap here!!!! , gpu don't matter cpu and ssd will run 4k graphics with rt and new graphics effects, what are you trying to prove here?

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
True. But I think Sony can win a bit of the gamer PR battle. If people start saying that Xbox Scarlett games are scaled up PS4 Pro games whilst the PS5 is the baseline for next gen exclusives.

Though maybe it won't matter if it hits a low price point. The discless Xbox sold like hot cakes this black Friday.
But where would that false statement originate from? Honestly, if Sony goes that route in lying to potential customers, that would be something.
In terms of PR, it will be interesting for sure but I hope both will not do these hot takes lying to customers. The tech discussions between Scarlett and PS5 will also reach even more people than in 2013 and I would be surprised to see any meaningful difference between the two, if any at all.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
Yes pretty sure a 1.84 tf gcn gpu as a baseline is very close to +10 tf navi gpu +rt as basline we don't have generational leap here!!!! , gpu don't matter cpu and ssd will run 4k graphics with rt and new graphics effects, what are you trying to prove here?
And that baseline will continue to exist for many years, as will the 4TF baseline of the PS4 Pro and the 6TF baseline of the Xbox One X.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He is trying to tell you that Lockhart will not run 4k graphics as it is not intended to to so, no matter how many exclamation marks you use.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What we know? This is a literal quote from the kotaku article: "Game developers will be expected to support both Anaconda and Lockhart, which some are worried might hamper their ambitions for next-gen games in the coming years."

Like I said, let's not pretend this couldn't possibly have ramifications in terms of the games that eventually have to run on this.
"Some" "might" -> "This lockhart is holding my next favorite plastic box in shackles, devs and pubs unite, leave xbox behind!" mhm (not saying you said so but this view exists in this very thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.