• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2019
Impossible! lockhart won't allow any improvement over Xbox one s. Everything is trash! And it'll all be 24fps because ms mandated film type games. All of them birds are trying to trick us thinking the games actually look good. Hah! I'm super smarter than that dork called billy gates. who do they think they are!?
30000.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
You literally said there were no rumors. Take the L. 😂

If you say so. I have seen articles that talk about a possible PS5 Pro before and even mentioned it in this thread a couple days ago. By rumors I expected something more substantial. The extent of PS5 Pro rumors is they did it before and it worked so they will likely do it again. Shocking. What exactly would you like to discuss or clarify about that right now?

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Are the 4K/120fps with RT posts serious?

covYqmm.gif

Feel freel to bookmark my post and call me out in 4 years, fam.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
If you say so. I have seen articles that talk about a possible PS5 Pro before and even mentioned it in this thread a couple days ago. By rumors I expected something more substantial. The extent of PS5 Pro rumors is they did it before and it worked so they will likely do it again. Shocking. What exactly would you like to discuss or clarify about that right now?
My point is you claimed something that was incorrect. Try not to do that And especially don't double down when someone points out your error.
Enough trying to deflect.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Yes a console with a 3-4x more powerful GPU while targeting the same resolution as a PS4 would be quite a meaningful upgrade.
Lockhart is rumored to be a 4 TF machine which is barely a 3x upgrade over the PS4 even after taking into account the architectural improvements.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Lockhart is rumored to be a 4 TF machine which is barely a 3x upgrade over the PS4 even after taking into account the architectural improvements.

Yeah, I feel like Lockhart sounds overly weak even for a budget option - since the original word of it came out I've always felt it needed to either match or exceed the X in every possible way.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup 8K/120FPS + RT is going to be mindblowing
i did some tests to try and get gears to run at 120 fps on my rtx 2080 and i had to drop down to 1080p to get 140 fps on high settings. 1440p averaged at 100 fps. 4k was 60 fps. i highly doubt they can do 8k 120 fps with RT. it will be native 4k 60 fps with RT and 1080p 120 fps with RT disabled.
Jeez you seriously think that's gunna happen.
im just a messenger. jason was the one who said it and hes not the only one.

i think they will have at least one next gen exclusive at launch. maybe something from rare or the state of decay devs. i dont think any of their other studios is close to releasing a next gen showcase at launch. maybe in 2021.

But as DukeBlueBall said, Halo on Scarlett will have improvements other than framerate, such as RT.
you were talking about next gen interaction, weather simulation, destruction, physics and AI. RT can be tacked on. destruction, a.i and other stuff will require a ground up reboot of the game. i dont think thats happening with cross gen games.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
4TF Navi is still a meaningful increase in the baseline. The current gen tech demos we saw in 2012 like Agni's Philosophy, Elemental and Infiltrator were running at 1080p on a single GTX 680 and Lockhart's GPU would be significantly more capable than that.

I'll say, as someone who is very much against the Lockhart idea, I don't think we should underestimate what a 3x increase over base PS4 actually is.

Aug 26, 2019
weather simulation, destruction, physics and AI. RT can be tacked on. destruction, a.i and other stuff will require a ground up reboot of the game. i dont think thats happening with cross gen games.
This will take a while to dig up, but I recall that for MGSV Kojima was able to do "atmospheric simulation" on the PS4 version which basically resulted in a much better looking sky. This was because of the PS4's more powerful CPU. I forget the specifics but there were comparison videos. I believe that things can be done, even in cross-gen games

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
The cpu jump alone will be about 3-4x jump in that portion. Not considering ssd , ram from gddr5 to gddr6, the gpu details and any other specific customizations each company has.
also 2080rtx uses what, 11gb is gddr6 ram
And does RT and is noted as 11ish TF of power?
The leap in power will be satisfactory. Look at what these amazing people do now with jag cores and 1.3 tf of power lolollllol still doing 60fps. Did it on less powerful machines tooo. Remember 360/ps3 had 60fps titles too? Oh snap, crackle and pop. I want cereal

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
i did some tests to try and get gears to run at 120 fps on my rtx 2080 and i had to drop down to 1080p to get 140 fps on high settings. 1440p averaged at 100 fps. 4k was 60 fps. i highly doubt they can do 8k 120 fps with RT. it will be native 4k 60 fps with RT and 1080p 120 fps with RT disabled.

im just a messenger. jason was the one who said it and hes not the only one.

i think they will have at least one next gen exclusive at launch. maybe something from rare or the state of decay devs. i dont think any of their other studios is close to releasing a next gen showcase at launch. maybe in 2021.

you were talking about next gen interaction, weather simulation, destruction, physics and AI. RT can be tacked on. destruction, a.i and other stuff will require a ground up reboot of the game. i dont think thats happening with cross gen games.
Gears is a current gen game though, RDR2 on ultra probably isn't even next gen quality.

Nov 11, 2017
The likelihood of any game being built from the ground up for launch exclusively for scarlett/ps5 is significantly slim. I don't expect those games until 2021-2022

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will take a while to dig up, but I recall that for MGSV Kojima was able to do "atmospheric simulation" on the PS4 version which basically resulted in a much better looking sky. This was because of the PS4's more powerful CPU. I forget the specifics but there were comparison videos. I believe that things can be done, even in cross-gen games
i thought mgsv was decidedly last gen. everything from the graphics to gameplay systems and a.i was last gen as fuck. i swear i never even noticed the sky.

i just dont see halo using a different a.i system for enemies compared to the x1 versions. or adding destruction or new features that take advantage of the ssd and the cpu. last gen's cross gen games were pretty much identical to the ps360 versions save for resolution, framerate and some small upgrades here and there. same as mgsv really.

i guess we will see in a year.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
You were worried your less than a year old $2,300 computer wouldn't make it after a year?
I didn't express worry or concern anywhere in my post. At least I sure as heck didn't mean to portray any.

Laptop cost way more than that btw. It has desktop CPU/GPU in it.

Ehhh, the word we're getting does indicate that the current RTX 2080 laptops may actually be less powerful than the PS5, or only about on par. So it wouldn't be useless or anything, but it might turn out to quickly not be amazing.
I still don't see the PS5/Xbox packing GPUs with the raw performance of an RTX 2080.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018

Well, if you account for a resolution increase to 4k the new consoles are like a 2.5x upgrade over the PS4 so I guess it all works out.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I didn't express worry or concern anywhere in my post. At least I sure as heck didn't mean to portray any.

Laptop cost way more than that btw. It has desktop CPU/GPU in it.

I still don't see the PS5/Xbox packing GPUs with the raw performance of an RTX 2080.
I mean the Turing series was only a small leap above Pascal & is still on 14nm, if Consoles launch on 7nm+ with RDNA 2.0, they could reach 2080 performance. Ampere's 3060 will probs get close to it too, as it would be a replacement to the 2070 S which is pretty much a 2080.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The likelihood of any game being built from the ground up for launch exclusively for scarlett/ps5 is significantly slim. I don't expect those games until 2021-2022
ps5 will have plenty of ps5 games. jason already knows the launch titles. i wouldnt be surprised if some of them arent even sony first party games. he is going to do an article on them soon.

GG needed only 2.8 years to make kz shadowfall for launch while working on horizon at the same time. this time around they wouldve had 3.8 years to get horizon 2 ready. PD getting a game out in 3 years is unlikely, but 3 years is what they needed to ship gt6. i think gt7 will be a launch title.

i also think bluepoint's demon souls remaster will be ready for launch window. maybe march 2021. i think all those games are launch window games with maybe a couple of surprises like TLOU factions spinoff and that new san diego studio thats been gobbling up talent for 2+ years now rumored to be working on an uncharted reboot.

I mean the Turing series was only a small leap above Pascal & is still on 14nm, if Consoles launch on 7nm+ with RDNA 2.0, they could reach 2080 performance. Ampere's 3060 will probs get close to it too, as it would be a replacement to the 2070 S which is pretty much a 2080.

pretty sure rtx 2080 is on 12nm but yes amd's 5700xt already matches the rtx 2070. the 5800xt should match rtx 2080 performance and there are multiple rumors suggesting that we are looking at 10+ tflops gpus using whatever chips thats going into the next big amd apu.

lets not forget that the rtx 2080 wouldve been 2.5 years old by the time the ps5 comes out.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm skipping all the 2020 PS4 releases for the ps5 up ports. Easy call IMO.

Ps5 version of the last of us 2 is going to be soooooo goood. 😳
no offense but it will be just like the tlou ps4 version. same exact game at 60 fps. with maybe RT this time around and native 4k instead of 1440p.

i dont even know how they will utilize rt in tlou. the lighting already looks amazing and if they completely redo it to use global illumination, they will have to go back to every area to make sure it is lighting every area properly. i see no reason why it would use ray tracing for reflections in a game with like all windows already shattered. that leaves rt shadows and you can barely tell the difference unless you are looking at the ground counting shadow edges.

that said, the opening two to three shots of death stranding look like a cg movie. i have no idea if that was cg but it definitely didnt look ingame. it eventually transitions into a realtime cutscene but i am pretty sure the first 2-3 shots were rendered on the ps5 because it seemed to have this insane photorealistic quality with extremely cgi quality lighting. the game has no cgi so it must have used a powerful rig to capture that cutscene realtime.

edit: foudn the intro.

Nov 11, 2017
There will be PS5-only launch titles at least, Jason even mentioned that today. Unless you meant multiplatform games?
Yea the will be ps5 launch games however wont be built from the ground up.
ps5 will have plenty of ps5 games. jason already knows the launch titles. i wouldnt be surprised if some of them arent even sony first party games. he is going to do an article on them soon.

GG needed only 2.8 years to make kz shadowfall for launch while working on horizon at the same time. this time around they wouldve had 3.8 years to get horizon 2 ready. PD getting a game out in 3 years is unlikely, but 3 years is what they needed to ship gt6. i think gt7 will be a launch title.

i also think bluepoint's demon souls remaster will be ready for launch window. maybe march 2021. i think all those games are launch window games with maybe a couple of surprises like TLOU factions spinoff and that new san diego studio thats been gobbling up talent for 2+ years now rumored to be working on an uncharted reboot.

pretty sure rtx 2080 is on 12nm but yes amd's 5700xt already matches the rtx 2070. the 5800xt should match rtx 2080 performance and there are multiple rumors suggesting that we are looking at 10+ tflops gpus using whatever chips thats going into the next big amd apu.

lets not forget that the rtx 2080 wouldve been 2.5 years old by the time the ps5 comes out.
Is demon souls a remaster or a remake I hope it's a remake I'd have some interest in it. Sony should should patch gt sport for ps5 imo, I think that game still has some legs

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
no offense but it will be just like the tlou ps4 version. same exact game at 60 fps. with maybe RT this time around and native 4k instead of 1440p.

i dont even know how they will utilize rt in tlou. the lighting already looks amazing and if they completely redo it to use global illumination, they will have to go back to every area to make sure it is lighting every area properly. i see no reason why it would use ray tracing for reflections in a game with like all windows already shattered. that leaves rt shadows and you can barely tell the difference unless you are looking at the ground counting shadow edges.

that said, the opening two to three shots of death stranding look like a cg movie. i have no idea if that was cg but it definitely didnt look ingame. it eventually transitions into a realtime cutscene but i am pretty sure the first 2-3 shots were rendered on the ps5 because it seemed to have this insane photorealistic quality with extremely cgi quality lighting. the game has no cgi so it must have used a powerful rig to capture that cutscene realtime.
No offense taken. No matter the difference there will be one and I don't need to play the ps4 versions When the better version will play on my ps5.

Loadingtimes alone will be worth it to me.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I'm skipping all the 2020 PS4 releases for the ps5 up ports. Easy call IMO.
It's what I'll do too. Gathering a list for when I get a ps5. Crossing fingers they have a good list of enhanced
The PS4 Pro version is bananas. It's going to set a character animation benchmark few titles will meet even developed on new hardware.
They never fail to impress me. Wife loved the first one so I know I gotta make sure I get it. Hopefully they have a bundle with both on the ps5 enhanced. I can't even imagine RT implementation.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017

None taken. You have your reasons on why they probably can't, I have my optimism's on how they can and probably already are ;) (just waiting for ps5 event to show off capabilities and how enhancements will play accords other 1p games)

Hopefully by then I'll have the next oled lg. I realllly want to upgrade lol

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

Nvidia & Intel's 12nm nodes are basically just 14nm+.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Well, if you account for a resolution increase to 4k the new consoles are like a 2.5x upgrade over the PS4 so I guess it all works out.
Please see the post I was replying to, he was only talking about the GPU but even taking everything into account Lockhart is not a good enough leap over current gen.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
what was that rumor? im expecting 2/20/2020.

January 22 at Sony Hall.

It would be crazy, but we know have multiple reputable insiders saying that they will have at least double-digit TF. Even the absolute minimum of 10TF is about 9% better than a 5700XT. So we're getting at least 2070 Super level power unless all these people are wrong, and almost certainly more than a laptop 2080. If it's actually 11TF, then that would be pretty much the same as a 2080.

Sounds like lunacy, but with multiple sources pointing to it...

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
rumor ! just in time for ps5 pro
TSMC on Track to Deliver 3 nm in 2022

TSMC is delivering record results day after day, with a 5 nm manufacturing process starting High Volume Manufacturing (HVM) in Q2 next year, 7 nm process getting plenty of orders and the fact that TSMC just became the biggest company publicly trading in Asia. Continuing with the goal to match or even beat the famous Moore's Law, TSMC is already planning for future 3 nm node manufacturing, promised to start HVM as soon as 2022 arrives, according to JK Wang, TSMC's senior vice president of fab operations. Delivering 3 nm a whole year before originally planned in 2023, TSMC is working hard, with fab construction work doing quite well, judging by all the news that the company is releasing recently.

We can hope to see the first wave of products built using 3 nm manufacturing process sometime around end of year 2022, when the holiday season arrives. Usual customers like Apple and HiSilicon will surely utilize the new node and deliver their smartphones with 3 nm processors inside as soon as the process is ready for HVM.

Status
Not open for further replies.