• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the consensus on the right amount of RAM for next gen? 16 GB? 24 GB?
16gb is fine.

as long as we get 128gb of reram that loads the entire game on launch and then sends data into the vram at 50 gbps. aww yeah.

OsirisBlack is a self-proclaimed Nintendo fanboy. He probably gets a kick out of setting expectations super high.
imagine nintendo fanboys in this thread. the universe would implode.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
Seems like it's probable we'll get 16 GB and a fast storage solution, either proprietary or just an SSD. Not bad at all I guess.

I hope we get another "8 GB GDDR5" moment from Sony, that was epic.

Deleted member 52407

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Agree. It only needs to be $100 less and clear of ps5 and it's doing a job.

$100 cheaper but less than half the power? A 4TF RDNA, $399 console versus a 10-12TF console thats just $100 more expensive?

If its not $299 then it shouldn't exist AT ALL. We should be able to get 9TF, ~5700 performance for $399 and maybe 16GB GDDR6, no way would I buy a 4TF console for $399 *Barf*

FWIW, I do think 4TF RDNA can work, all else equal, just not at anything above $299, and even that's pushing it.

-----

6TF RDNA, 8 core Zen 2, 6GB GDDR6 = $299
11TF RDNA, 8 core Zen 2, 16GB GDDR6 = $499

Sony & MSFT will go big & slow, 56CUs @ 1.5Ghz is roughly 11TF already and it will be easier to cool than 40CUs at 2Ghz.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when I said Osirisblack's info was encrypted. We
3x3.19 i s
5x3.21.20 o u t
10-1.14 i n
5x4.8.5 t h e
4x6-1.9.12.4 w i l d

scarlett-code-96kxn.png
ooooh, so that's what it is.

Deleted member 52407

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
What's in the wild? A fox?

I thought In the wild means that Anaconda was in the wild... That is Phil Spencer has one at home, as per his tweet?

See:

It didn't. Someone on the old forum was doing some cboat showboating and posted a simple coded message. People did what you might expect they'd do, played with numbers and found magic answers to questions they liked the look of and ran with them. Apparently it revealed clock speeds, cpu core counts, number of compute units, gpu flops, masses of ram, announcement dates, dutch IP addresses, all kinds of fun! Except it didn't, it was just 5 words in a simple number-to-letter-cypher, and the code didn't tell us anything we already didn't know (that Scarlett is out in the wild - Phil told us they got sent out and that he has one under his TV at home).

16gb is fine.

as long as we get 128gb of reram that loads the entire game on launch and then sends data into the vram at 50 gbps. aww yeah.

imagine nintendo fanboys in this thread. the universe would implode.

So PS5 has ReRam again? I thought that was too expensive for a $399-$499 console.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still in the camp hoping to see reram used on the PS5. I feel there's still a bit too much of a coincidence that Sony is bringing out a new ultra high performance memory type next year and all the secrecy regarding the PS5's storage solution. I don't see the need for secrecy if it's just a normal SSD. Add to that the numerous times we've been told that Sony's focus is on instant loading, most notably by Jason, and I've gotta think there's more going on here than just a normal SSD.

I'd love it if it were only reram as the storage of the PS5 but I'd still be very happy if it were a cache. I think it's the absolute best way for Sony to get a leg up in performance on their new console and also very publicly market their new reram tech to the world to try and entice new customers to jump on board. It gives their new business segment a HUGE client right from the start with PlayStation which can help provide stability and help to eventually drive down the cost.

It just all feels like the perfect scenario to me, so I'm definitely holding out hope for ReRam.

I can also see Sony being willing to eat some of the cost to get their new business off the ground. They've done it before with blueray after all.

Feb 23, 2019
So the memory architecture is looking something like this (possibly)?

24GB GDDR6 + 128 GB RERAM (full game storage in fast access memory) + 2TB SSD (multigame storage)?

Is this the secret sauce? Is it plausible that Microsoft won't also have this?

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the most important is having the SSD perform as close to its fastest speed at a consistent basis. As far as I know that alone would make it superior to an equivalent NVMe SSD on a PC.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So the memory architecture is looking something like this (possibly)?

24GB GDDR6 + 128 GB RERAM (full game storage in fast access memory) + 2TB SSD (multigame storage)?

Is this the secret sauce? Is it plausible that Microsoft won't also have this?

I'm my mind I'd say that general layout (give or take some figures) is what will happen. I'd be SUPER happy if there were no SSD and it was 2TB of ReRAM but that seems a bit unfeasible.

As for MS, unless they're sourcing drives from someone else I'm thinking they'll have a more traditional SSD setup. I did speculate that the sony/ms mou could involve reram tech as well, but I'm thinking that might be more related to using it in Azure datacenters. I'd have to imagine whatever the next Xbox will use was locked down before this mou happened.

Feb 23, 2019
Also, I should add, this memory hierarchy is not necessarily a linearly dependent relationship. Meaning, the RERAM would not be funneling data to GDDR6, but would have a direct interface independently with the GPU/CPU, so you could actually conserve a lot of your VRAM.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
They don't. Just ship devkits with an OC 5700XT and a Zen 2 CPU until you have final silicon for the final devkits. Non-final devkits are more about development environment and overall power envelope than specifics.
However, since 5700XT does't have hardware ray-tracing, the ray-tracing performance may probably be worse than.final silicon. How can developers simulate ray-tracing performance ?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Also, I should add, this memory hierarchy is not necessarily a linearly dependent relationship. Meaning, the RERAM would not be funneling data to GDDR6, but would have a direct interface independently with the GPU/CPU, so you could actually conserve a lot of your VRAM.

I'm thinking if there is reram then that is where the OS will run so that all the RAM can be dedicated to the games

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
They don't. Just ship devkits with an OC 5700XT and a Zen 2 CPU until you have final silicon for the final devkits. Non-final devkits are more about development environment and overall power envelope than specifics.

The devkits with those components would be standard PC towers, not the leaked devkit photos.

They also won't have code names like Ariel, Gonzalo and Flute.

Custom cases + APU codenames means that silicon is final. Things that can be adjusted are APU clocks, memory densities and memory speed.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
One of these two need to finally put us out of our misery. Seeing games in action will cleanse our souls. Arguing about which exclusive looks best will be a welcome change. Can't wait to hear some of you try to invoke 3D audio intangibles.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
The devkits with those components would be standard PC towers, not the leaked devkit photos.

Custom cases + APU codenames means that silicon is final. Things that can be adjusted are APU clocks, memory densities and memory speed.
Some rumors state that PS5 APU is 300 mm2, how many CU will it have?

Also xbox APU is 350 mm2. It's very strange why xbox is weaker with 50mm2 larger? What components are inside the APU?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
One of these two need to finally put us out of our misery. Seeing games in action will cleanse our souls. Arguing about which exclusive looks best will be a welcome change. Can't wait to hear some of you try to invoke 3D audio intangibles.

I already did a few pages back 😁

I'm thinking Sony is going to utilize Wwise as a Trojan horse for a new audio format, possibly based on their 360 Reality Audio tech. Having it built into Wwise will ensure compatibility with hundreds of games released each year and will almost immediately help it to shoot past Dolby Atmos in usage in video games.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Is this really true? I know in the past, prototype dev kits have been sent out in custom cases with code names, etc and there have been several iterations on those where you'd have to send it back to get the next prototype and this is well before you get the final.I'm specifically remembering this to be true with PS3 and PS4. Are you saying the only thing that changed were clock speeds and memory densities? It's been too long for me to remember what changed between iterations.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Is this really true? I know in the past, prototype dev kits have been sent out in custom cases with code names, etc and there have been several iterations on those where you'd have to send it back to get the next prototype and this is well before you get the final.I'm specifically remembering this to be true with PS3 and PS4. Are you saying the only thing that changed were clock speeds and memory densities? It's been too long for me to remember what changed between iterations.

Specifically talking about devkit that would have off shelf Zen 2 and 5700 XT. They're not going to have custom cases nor code names for off shelf components.

twistedbasis

Jan 10, 2018
So which studio/publisher is going to be the first to make the incorrect choice of spending their extremely limited time and budget by over-targetting Lockhart instead of actually creating something worthwhile? I hope they're also ready for the crap that's gonna be sent their way :) Good luck!

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Specifically talking about devkit that would have off shelf Zen 2 and 5700 XT. They're not going to have custom cases nor code names for off shelf components.
Oh I'll agree with that, but I was questioning if the silicon is actually final when you do have a custom case because there are multiple prototype versions of devkits with custom cases. I didn't think the silicon was final in that with at least the first prototype version.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Oh I'll agree with that, but I was questioning if the silicon is actually final when you do have a custom case because there are multiple prototype versions of devkits with custom cases. I didn't think the silicon was final in that with at least the first prototype version.

All the custom cases for devkits that I can remember always housed the final silicon.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Do we confirm that there is an APU in the V-shape devkits?

Why can't devkits with off-shelf components have a special case (V-shape)?

I can't confirm it. If Sony wanted to blow money on fancy vanity cases for standard Zen 2 and 5700 XT when regular PC towers suffice then I question their prudence.

We can also ignore the Gonzalo, Flute benchmarks / leaks while we're at it. Haha

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Regarding the customized case of the PS5 devkit, it's probably worth considering that with 3D printing advancements it's a lot cheaper for them to come up with custom designs than it was for previous console gens. So if they can do something that's more efficient for a cheap price then why not.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine discussing someone's "leaks" that STILL posts on neogaf after all that happened.

Imagine giving any merit to it after their previous "leaks".

Status
Not open for further replies.