• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
People get hyped for a lot less.... An announcement with just a name is enough to create a frenzy if the game is on their system of choice.

What the person wrote who you are replying to most definitely stands.

I'm sorry but I've gotta ask, what the hell is wrong with some of you guys?

My post was neither an argument nor criticism of Halo Infinite. It was an observation. I have no idea why you felt the need thus to write such a defensive response.

If you're this sensitive over what amounts to a benign (factual) observation, I'd recommend you take a step back from posting and take a breather.

Aug 26, 2019
Just because they did something a certain way 7 years ago doesn't mean they'll follow it exactly. They could start earlier (January) or even later (April). Hell, the "PS Meeting" could be nothing like the last one. What they did worked really well, which makes me think they'll stick to it with some modifications here and there, but Sony could be planning something entirely different than what we expect.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
I don't think anything will happen until the final console is designed and ready. Remember, Andrew House said having the meeting in 2013 and only showing the DualShock 4 without the PlayStation 4 console was a mistake in hindsight. So it may well be April before we get the PS meeting.

I'm more interested in seeing how the PS5 logo is designed at this point. They might change it altogether as the S and the 5 looks similar in the current styling.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think anything will happen until the final console is designed and ready. Remember, Andrew House said having the meeting in 2013 and only showing the DualShock 4 without the PlayStation 4 console was a mistake in hindsight. So it may well be April before we get the PS meeting.

The reason that happened was because Andrew was undecided about the design, he had two designs in his desk and he couldn't figure out which one to pick.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
Sony thinks it can move people with BC, good hw and games (AFAIK).
MS thinks also releasing stop-gap hardware and cross-gen software will work better.

Mid-gen consoles are stop-gap hardware. That descriptor doesn't really fit a console available at launch, as it implies it is there to hold people over until a future product arrives.

If anything, MS are trying (as much as is possible/practical) to un-tether games from a specific piece of hardware.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
Mid-gen consoles are stop-gap hardware. That descriptor doesn't really fit a console available at launch, as it implies it is there to hold people over until a future product arrives.

If anything, MS are trying (as much as is possible/practical) to un-tether games from a specific piece of hardware.
It is stop-gap as it is there for the people that supposedly want next-gen even with fewer features if the price is lower.
Mid-gen upgrades are optional purchases for higher spenders.

Really, you can call it what you want, but they are releasing multiple hw levels because they aren't sure people are willing to upgrade (which isn't a diss, it's just what they are doing).

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
One thing about having a single console is that kids won't get the shitty one.
Like kids being given the Xbox 360 Arcade version.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I also want to take a moment to thank all of you for your contributions to this thread.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
No. Just someone who only ever posts in the Sony thread being smarmy for some reason about Lockheart and trying to prove a point.

You're fishing for something that doesn't exist. I'm here for the conversation and I want a better one.

In that vein, Will you, Sir, be buying lockhart at launch?

I also want to take a moment to thank all of you for your contributions to this thread.

thank you, sir!

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
But the kid whose family can't afford a $500 console doesn't get one at all.

"When everyone plays, we all win."
The question is whether the kid is getting a quality product and not a gimped version of a good one.

Also in this scenario the family has to buy all the games they had on disc again, and can't buy to trade or share the games they buy with others...

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
One thing about having a single console is that kids won't get the shitty one.
Like kids being given the Xbox 360 Arcade version.

This response shows a general lack of persepctive and empathy. There will eventually be next gen games that need SSDs and new CPUs. Not initially but eventually. Next gen will be defined by the SSD and CPU...not GPU jump. The "shitty" one is going to be the only option for a lot of households. Maybe not even now. Maybe when it hits $199. Lower end model makes next gen CPU and SSDs more accessible.

Also as someone who's been gaming since Atari, if I had a tight budget, Lockhardt would be very attractive. Higher frame rates and low load times is a lot more impactful to the gaming experience than ray tracing or 4K. I'd take that trade today despite owning an Oled. I'd also take better physics over better graphics. To each their own. Point is the same. Options are good. It's more work and cost to devs but it's good for consumers in the big picture.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
Just thought experiment here, but if there were a "PlayStation LockHart", would you buy it?
No, it's the value they're getting for the price they're paying.

Also, Game Pass.
That value is, again, a worse version of an actual next-gen console, without a disc-drive.

You're again making up marketing for a console you have no intention of ever buying...

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
This response shows a general lack of persepctive and empathy. There will eventually be next gen games that need SSDs and new CPUs. Not initially but eventually. Next gen will be defined by the SSD and CPU...not GPU jump. The "shitty" one is going to be the only option for a lot of households. Maybe not even now. Maybe when it hits $199. Lower end model makes next gen CPU and SSDs more accessible.

Also as someone who's been gaming since Atari, if I had a tight budget, Lockhardt would be very attractive. Higher frame rates and low load times is a lot more impactful to the gaming experience than ray tracing or 4K. I'd take that trade today despite owning an Oled. I'd also take better physics over better graphics. To each their own. Point is the same. Options are good. It's more work and cost to devs but it's good for consumers in the big picture.

Love the passion, my friend. Thank you for your contribution to the thread.

It sounds like you will not be buying Lockhart at launch. Is this a correct take from your second paragraph?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

Thanks! It's part of a pixel art demake/mashup series I've made quite a while ago - Tomba as classic Megaman, Cloud as an FFVI character, Aloy as Link, Sackboy as Sonic, etc.

One other thing, though it might be kind of an odd question - do you know if there are any particular game genres that tend to benefit more from FP16 than others, due to the particular calculations and instructions common to each genre?

It's much more of a rendering pipeline specific thing than a game genre thing, really.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Sorry fam, but this just feels like unnecessary virtue signalling to me.

Consoles have always followed a pricing curve. So whether a low cost option is available at launch or not, low income households will be able to pick one up later on down the line in BF sales or when they inevitably come down in price (which they always do).

Consoles are also not a necessity for anyone. They're luxury entertainment devices. People will buy them if they see value in them and they can afford to. But it's not noble or altruistic of any company intending to make a gimped low cost option available at launch. Consumers simply don't need to buy a new console at launch.

Aug 26, 2019
Also, before anyone thanks me, I would just like to say "you're welcome" for the contributions I've made to the thread. You'll be receiving a bill in the mail over the next week or so for my knowledge and expertise.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the PS5 reveal event will probably be very late March or April. I know everybody thinks February based upon the last time. But consider this is something they obviously would planned ahead for. And consider they were planning to release TLOU2 in February.

It would make no sense at all if they had originally planned to unveil the PS5 within 1-2 weeks of launching maybe their biggest PS4 game ever. Because they would be having review events, previews, probably a review embargo a week or so before launch to drum up more hype and other events. Doing this and the PS5 unveil at the same time is nonsensical when they have plenty of time to do it before of after the launch.

Revealing in Late March-April regardless of whether TLOU2 launched in Feb or May would still give breathing room where all their marketing can still go to either event without overshadowing anything.
I think they'll want to do it before GDC in March because that will open the floodgates for leaks

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
It is stop-gap as it is there for the people that supposedly want next-gen even with fewer features if the price is lower.
Mid-gen upgrades are optional purchases for higher spenders.

Really, you can call it what you want, but they are releasing multiple hw levels because they aren't sure people are willing to upgrade (which isn't a diss, it's just what they are doing).

I'd say they are trying to get more people to upgrade sooner. The sooner people move away from Jaguar/hard-drive based consoles the sooner the practical baseline moves forward for everyone.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
I'd say they are trying to get more people to upgrade sooner. The sooner people move away from Jaguar/hard-drive based consoles the sooner the practical baseline moves forward for everyone.
They could also do that by just releasing Anaconda and selling it, the way Sony is planning for PS5.

Really, the reason LockHart is there is to minimize potential subscribers loss.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sorry but I've gotta ask, what the hell is wrong with some of you guys?

My post was neither an argument nor criticism of Halo Infinite. It was an observation. I have no idea why you felt the need thus to write such a defensive response.

If you're this sensitive over what amounts to a benign (factual) observation, I'd recommend you take a step back from posting and take a breather.

You need to relax also bro:)

You are bang-on about Halo. We really have only seen a tech demo (if that)

Status
Not open for further replies.