• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2018
Wow, that was some crazy unexpected stuff from Xbox tonight. Something that is interesting from a tech standpoint in the official Xbox blog post about the next gen console is "Additionally, our patented Variable Rate Shading (VRS) technology will allow developers to get even more out of the Xbox Series X GPU." They may both have some type of VRS, but they definitely included the word "patented" here too, so I expect some interesting things with details on their implementation after seeing some of the early Forza Horizon demos of this and such.

As to eventual power in the retail consoles, it really can't be ignored logically here that Xbox came out first and are not shying away from words about power in the messaging here and the direct quote from Phil Spencer in an interview with this reveal that "We like leading in power and performance and I feel like we're going to be there again." I see some talking about it being just for marketing and PR, but that is major confidence being shown as we end this year heading into next. They are definitely the ones that have openly talked more about power than Sony. This isn't just chatter or information coming from one place here or there, it is the platform holder themselves presenting things that directly.

Patented VRS, Secret sauce returns?

Yeah a console more then 12 navi tflops with raytracing hardware is nuts, a week ago 11tflops was my high high end guess.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Did i miss something, why do people think Xbox series X is 12 TF and PS5 10.X TF? Did is miss something while is was asleep? Are the specs released, because i could not find them online?

Jun 23, 2019
Capcom and Namco have been a mixed bag.
With Capcom, on one hand you have SFV with looks pretty great, then on other hand you have MvC Infinite which looks pretty shit.

Namco, you have Tekken 7 which looks great, then you have SC 6 which looks...decent.

I hope they both get the budget they to deliver in spades

I know NRS is going to deliver. Injustice 3 ,or whatever their next game is, is gonna look like a movie.

Agreed. Tekken 7 plays like a dream, but looks looks like ass now. Hopefully they update their games for PS5/Series X.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
It's ray traced. You can't see the trees reflection initially because of the giant rock behind it. You can see it's ray traced when the camera pans down after the slam and you see the tree canopy without it being on screen. Also the guy approaching from the right occludes the blue lights, but they still show in the reflection on the floor (look for the reflection between his legs towards the end of the gif).

He is reflected, it can be a little hard to see at the beginning because the big guys shadow falls across the reflection for a short bit.
Its possible. Anyway I thought it looked really good from the trailer alone. The reflections were impressive.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't expecting a name and box reveal, that's pretty fucking crazy. Hellblade looked insane. Man, next gen is about to be nuts!! Can't wait for a blowout of games next year, I'm already impressed.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
One things for sure, unlike the motherboard we saw in the Scorpio video, the one in the Scarlett/XSX video isn't going to be reflective of the final motherboard in that tower. Hopefully the RAM chips we saw won't be either..

Even taking in to account an SSD and optimised I/O, I don't see how ~16-18GB in ~500-600GB/s range is gonna feed a Zen2 (contention!?) and 12TF RDNA GPU with RT while running games with truly next gen scope; and it lasting for an entire generation without being a bottleneck.

If we don't see 24GB on a 384-bit bus, but instead 16-20GB on a 256-320-bit bus; I hope it's running 16-18Gbps chips and that it's dedicated to games with a separate pool for the OS.

As for Sony, considering 12TF RDNA has just been effectively confirmed for XSX; I'm going to remain slightly hopeful of HBM2e (iNFO_MS/Fan-Out) in the PS5. =P

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
you mean that we'll see better graphical games even beyond what we saw in the HB2 trailer the already looks insane? That is mind blowing.

Because tbh as jaw dropped as I was with the trailer, it did kinda worry me how Phil said that it'll utilise the full power of the Xbox series X, meaning that's the best this RTX 2080 equivalent behemoth can muster up.

Glad I'm wrong on that though.

Yes no one will exploit fully Xbox Series X with the first game. After I think the improvement will maybe be a bit less visible than this generation because we use X86 and AMD GPU.

But I am not even sure of this because of the SSD.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did i miss something, why do people think Xbox series X is 12 TF and PS5 10.X TF? Did is miss something while is was asleep? Are the specs released, because i could not find them online?
The most we know about the PS5 so far is the Komachi Oberon leak, that has two Backwards Compatible states, one with 18 CU and the other 40.

The other thing we know about the GPU is that it can go up to 2Ghz, so people speculate that 40 CU was the limit, thus 10 teraflops.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Finally caught up on this thread and a couple of others.

Whew, that was a fun Game Awards and glad we're getting more info. The Hellblade video did look stunning, and I'd be very happy if that's what a lot of next gen games look like. At the same time I think it's worth quoting Phil Spencer when he was describing it when he said, "Tonight I'm proud to reveal a project early in development from an incredibly talented creative team who are no strangers to the game awards. What you're about to see was all captured in-engine, as being built to take full advantage of Xbox Series X."

That leaves me with a few questions like how far away is this title from release? Is this a target demo sorta like this video we got for Uncharted 4 where certain things could still be open to change?

In-engine is great but I would've been happier if Phil had also said real-time along with it. I haven't checked, has it come up in any other statements they've made on whether it was real-time? I wonder because of the comparisons going on. Of course Godfall isn't representative of the limits of what the PS5 can do but it is a game running in real-time and in-engine that we know is coming at launch. If the Hellblade trailer wasn't running in real-time and is just an early target spec for what they're aiming for then that deflates my excitement over it just a tiny bit.

Godfall did look alright visually but the tiny bit of footage we got didn't feel like it was a generational leap over what we could get right now with in-game cutscenes. Seeing the RT in the tiny GIF was nice and I kinda wish they had put 10-20 seconds of gameplay like that in the trailer. I know it's not fair to compare since we haven't seen that much of Godfall yet, but in comparison to the tiny amount we've seen so far I'm more impressed by what we've seen in TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima. That said, I'm sure the benefits of being a next gen title will become more apparent when they show more footage in the Spring.

I would also like to take a moment to thank Kleegamefan for being a beacon of hope and information when this place was going through some very dark times. Your continued excitement over next gen is something I greatly appreciate and I always look forward to seeing your name pop up in a thread :)

So the PS Meeting appears to be set for February and I'm sure the leaks will only intensify from this point onwards. I look forward to taking this ride with you all :)

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know how far these canarer("consoles", but ok spellcheck) really are going with the whole 120fps thing, but if I can play Overwatch and Apex Legends at 120fps on a console, that'd be sweet. And it sounds like that's easily achievable with these specs.

I could also see future COD games having something like a "pro setting" that drops the resolution to 1080 and reduces graphics settings to hit 120fps. That's pretty much what most competitive players end up doing anyway lol

Oct 25, 2017
The most we know about the PS5 so far is the Komachi Oberon leak, that has two Backwards Compatible states, one with 18 CU and the other 40.

The other thing we know about the GPU is that it can go up to 2Ghz, so people speculate that 40 CU was the limit, thus 10 teraflops.

Basically pure speculation.

I can't imagine how they are going to cool that thing in that form factor without sounding like a jet engine.

It's basically a PC tower. The form factor makes sense with the power and heat it will put out.

Pretty sure he said he wasn't staying up to watch the TGA. The specs outpaced anything he predicted as well, but I'm sure he will be happy with the outcome.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine how they are going to cool that thing in that form factor without sounding like a jet engine.

They have boldly talked about it being just as quiet as the current Xbox One X in the interviews, which is pretty crazy to be honest. I would probably sacrifice a very slight raw power edge that wouldn't matter in real world game performance most likely for that type of quiet operation if they are delivering it :)

moonbeam

Nov 11, 2017
jfc this thread has grown

Anyway, probably already posted but I guess this is the first glimpse of gameplay from a next-gen game:

ezgif.com-resize.gif

Reflections are nice.
Where is this from?

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
Gotta say, it's not often crow tastes good, but I'm happy to eat it this time. Thought for sure either Sony or MS (or both) would cheap out on storage, and was proven wrong, Figured AMD would come up short, proven wrong again. Didn't think they'd have a hardware RT solution ready for dGPUs, let along consoles. Again, wrong, and I'm not the least bit bothered by it. Happy as shit about what we're getting next year. Good stuff!

Remember that article early last year that stated that 70% of AMD's R&D team was working with Sony on Navi for the PS5? I think there may have been some truth to that.

I think AMD worked backwards this time.I think RDN2 GPUs are based on the work AMD did with both Sony and MS, hence why we haven't seen them on the market yet.

Smart move since that means Sony and MS pretty much funded R&D for the RDNA2 GPUs, and next gen multiplatform games will be fully optimized to take advantage of AMD's high end GPUs with RT.

that's my headcanon anyways :-p

Feb 10, 2018
12 and 13tflop difference really means nothing. Games will run the same.
It just great that these console are as powerful as they are.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
And they definitely appear to not be SSR. As, when the character is slammed, you can still see the accurate reflections of the tree's branches and leaves even though they are off-screen. Don't know of a way to achieve this that isn't ray tracing.
Love it

Talked about in the other thread off-screen RT reflections since the first seconds of the trailer showing indirect objects being reflected also reflections on armors too.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
I truly believe the XsX is going to be the better designed console from an engineering (not power) point of view.

It design is what consoles should be, pure minimalism.
And the cooling system will be simple but effective.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
12tf vs 13tf difference means nothing.

10tf vs 12tf would have been earth-shattering though. 🤣🤣🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.