• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given that form factor of the Xbox Series X and their bold talk about it being just as quiet as the Xbox One X from couch seating distance, honest question for the big Sony fans. If they are both very close in raw power as some are saying (within 10%) that most have also said shouldn't really matter at all in games, would you rather a quieter PS5 that is slightly less powerful than Xbox Series X or a very loud PS5 that is slightly more powerful?
neither console will be loud. sony consoles are only loud because they were using cheaper cooling solutions to not go over the $399 budget they gave themselves. the X1X and the X1 base had a bigger chip that consumed more power and yet was quieter with the x1x being smaller as well.

power has nothing to do with how loud the console is. sony will be going with a much more elegant cooling solution next gen. they have no choice but to due to the high tdp of these consoles.

xRaymne

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Given that form factor of the Xbox Series X and their bold talk about it being just as quiet as the Xbox One X from couch seating distance, honest question for the big Sony fans. If they are both very close in raw power as some are saying (within 10%) that most have also said shouldn't really matter at all in games, would you rather a quieter PS5 that is slightly less powerful than Xbox Series X or a very loud PS5 that is slightly more powerful?
For me sound wouldn't matter (gaming with a headset). As a matter of fact even power wouldn't matter as long as it stays close together.

It'll be PlayStation 5, because of familiarity, ecosystem and controller and so on.

The only reason I would switch would be if the power discrepancy would warrant it or my mates would switch to series X

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
For me sound wouldn't matter (gaming with a headset). As a matter of fact even power wouldn't matter as long as it stays close together.

It'll be PlayStation 5, because of familiarity, ecosystem and controller and so on.

The only reason I would switch would be if the power discrepancy would warrant it or my mates would switch to series X

Yep, that makes sense for you. I am just glad that Xbox is launching with Halo Infinite so that I can grab a couple of my friends back into the Xbox ecosystem at next gen launch who are big Halo diehards that skipped this generation with the early Microsoft missteps.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, honestly it could be louder and less powerful, quieter and more powerful and then all the configurations you laid out.

In my current setup the "noise" of the Pro does not bother me at all, but my wife does notice it sometimes and ask if the console is going to explode. I'm way too used to it.
The PS4 Pro noise bugs mine sometimes when I do late night gaming, so I'll be happy if it's quieter but weaker.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't care how loud it is as long as it plays games.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
would you rather a quieter PS5 that is slightly less powerful than Xbox Series X or a very loud PS5 that is slightly more powerful?

After PS4 Pro I would take any sort of quieter system TBH. If it is similarly noisy then the price and games will have to be off the chain for me to pick one up. I don't ultimately really care about final TF counts for either as the experts all agree it won't be big enough to matter.

Oct 25, 2017
if it's a bar for all 3 then yes, because PS5 will most likely only include compatibility with PS4/Pro.

"Setting the bar" is also not a definitive statement that you are the strongest (bars can be overcome afterall).

I doubt we'll know which one is stronger until E3 of next year unless specs leak. Both are too close, and MS isn't going to proclaim the power crown without 100% certainty.

They include Xbox on the PR right now because if they end up being more powerful, they can remove the word Xbox and keep promulgating the same marketing. It's a smart effective strategy.

"Fastest, Most Powerful Xbox Console"
To
"Fastest, Most Powerful Console"

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Some are wondering whether the footage in the Series X trailer is real-time and not CGI?

What do you think? We saw Halo, Forza etc.

I think we saw a glimpse of next gen Forza, next gen Halo and next-gen Fifa taken from their respective environments. People seems to overlook this and only Focus on Hellblade 2 and Godfall.

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is by showing it before the new year.
Ok, yeah that could have been surprising. Form factor was my guess.

I'll take quieter and less powerful. Even tho I know that shoddy fans was the reason for the Pro. Better fans made that issue better.

I mean....quieter n less powerful is what I got in the One S so....power didn't stop me from getting that.

Power is towards the bottom of my list.

Bloxx Chain

Mar 19, 2018
A true generational leap if we end up with games looking like that. Holy shit lmao i still can't believe what I'm seeing.

The gizmodo article said something like that and at the time everyone laughed at it.
I expect Ninja Theory to knock it out. Shit Hellblade is highly impressive this gen. With MS money, oh man. Next gen litty 🔥

terawatt

Oct 27, 2017
If the ps5 uses a blower style fan again then it's going to be noisy, it's a cheap and nasty cooling solution that needs high rpm. Hopefully they go with traditional fans. Even 75/90mm gpu size fans should be quiet.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Unreal Engine Rebirth Demo topped.

RpwCXgX.gif
Pyroclastic flow really impressed me, probably fav bit.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
neither console will be loud. sony consoles are only loud because they were using cheaper cooling solutions to not go over the $399 budget they gave themselves. the X1X and the X1 base had a bigger chip that consumed more power and yet was quieter with the x1x being smaller as well.

power has nothing to do with how loud the console is. sony will be going with a much more elegant cooling solution next gen. they have no choice but to due to the high tdp of these consoles.

And the last version of PS4 Pro is quiet... No luck I have the og PS4 Pro like I had the day one PS4.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
The poll for OT8's title is now up! Poll
Really like the Dark Tower - voted for that one.

I really like the design of the Series X. Looks modern, powerful, and functional. Makes me wonder if we'll see Playstation do something unique in their console design, or keep it more traditional. I think it'll likely be a bit more traditional.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
anexanhume , from the heatsink patent that you posted before, do you think a heatsink on both side of the chip is viable or it's not something that can work?
Yes, it's viable. How much better it is as opposed to a single heatsink is a matter for debate though.

I know some systems that dissipate a surprising amount of their heat through the PCB, but I think that's less the case as you get into higher dissipating devices where the copper mass in the board just can't hold a candle to the ginormous heatsinks on the back of the die.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
Really like the Dark Tower - voted for that one.

I really like the design of the Series X. Looks modern, powerful, and functional. Makes me wonder if we'll see Playstation do something unique in their console design, or keep it more traditional. I think it'll likely be a bit more traditional.
Imagine if the V dev kit is the actual design. Would make things interesting.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's viable. How much better it is as opposed to a single heatsink is a matter for debate though.

I know some systems that dissipate a surprising amount of their heat through the PCB, but I think that's less the case as you get into higher dissipating devices where the copper mass in the board just can't hold a candle to the ginormous heatsinks on the back of the die.
Ok, because I was wondering if inside the XSX console is similar to the Mac Book Pro cylinder, and if it is, could it be something in the PS5.

Although, yeah I know, that consists of a couple of silicon chips surrounding a large heatsink.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So a few days ago it was being claimed (likely just jokes) that PS5 was running hot and needed to go down a few Teraflops, this was in the thread about the new leak that Scarlett would be 12tf or so. Did anything come from that at all, or was it exactly that....just jokes?

Have to say that Phil Spencer does seem rather confident in some interviews, he makes sure to say that their goal absolutely is to be the power and performance leader but at the same time not claiming they are.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
So a few days ago it was being claimed (likely just jokes) that PS5 was running hot and needed to go down a few Teraflops, this was in the thread about the new leak that Scarlett would be 12tf or so. Did anything come from that at all, or was it exactly that....just jokes?

Have to say that Phil Spencer does seem rather confident in some interviews, he makes sure to say that their goal absolutely is to be the power and performance leader but at the same time not claiming they are.

Literally made up bullshit stated to push someone's personal narrative, as is the case with most of the garbage in this thread.

No one reliable has said anything of that sort.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Literally made up bullshit stated to push someone's personal narrative, as is the case with most of the garbage in this thread.

No one reliable has said anything of that sort.
I always stated that the best thing people can do is wait for official confirmation of what the specifics are when it comes to these consoles. I hope Sony comes out soon with what the specs on their console is.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
How big is Ninja Theory right know? It'2 quite impressive, that they are developing such a good looking game while also working on bleeding edge.
It won't really matter if one console is 1 or 2 tf faster then the other.

I would like to hear from some people who are more knowledgeable about developement to talk about how stuff like photogrametry and ray tracing
makes development easier since you don't have to make high res textures and lighting by hand so atleast to me it looks like developers should be able to make much better looking games with less manpower and time expandeture.

Also Ubisoft recently bought a team that works on photogrametry so maybe bigger publishers and Microsoft/Sony will have dedecated teams who just make photogramic textures for all the other teams, which might make developement at lot less time consuming.

I would like to hear some opinions on this from people who know about stuff like this.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Ill just point out the cooling design is similar to apples last 2 mac pros that utilized a high volume of air with big fans to stay quiet and cool fairly hot products.

Status
Not open for further replies.