• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Outside of ram amount, this Series X has specs that's reads like a fanboy pastebin. According to Gamespot, the fanboy was Phil and he directed the engineering team to make it.

Last edited:

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the running behind schedule came from Jason
Not sure if the "trying to surprise Sony" part is quite right -- common sense would suggest that, like with the Xbox One, Microsoft is just running behind schedule and will launch pretty hot -- but I've talked to a few third-party developers who said they were frustrated by the lack of info on Scarlett, especially compared to Prospero.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say it's pretty wild that the next generation of Xbox was revealed with Cerny, Hulst and much of the top brass of PlayStation being there with a first row seat to all of it. Would be interesting to know if it was a complete surprise to them as well.

The two approaches so far are fascinating. One is introduced in print articles in Wired magazine with Godfall inexplicably the first game to ever outright say "PlayStation 5" (not dissing the quality of the game, but certainly expected something else to be the first game!) and Xbox showing itself off at a platform agnostic awards show with the first game being showcased from a previously Independent studio that they recently scooped up.

Shit is going to get bonkers in the next 11 months.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
yeah the big grill is likely intake and I'm guessing there's an exhaust on the back. Or vice versa.

Yes pretty cheap. This is basically on off the shelf itx case. I wouldn't be surprised to see pretty much a straight up mini itx board in there when we get the tear downs.
its probably using the same cooling as the x1x and i think there is only fan on the bottom to push the hot air out through the top

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
its probably using the same cooling as the x1x and i think there is only fan on the bottom to push the hot air out through the top

nah with that mini tower case I bet it has a smaller either intake or exhaust on the back. On the top there's most likely a nice big 200mm fan sitting right there. the loudest fan in this thing will be the one strapped to the apu heatsink as usual.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I don't know if this was posted already, but i see now interesting chat (including some posters in this thread ) with Jason:

LOL

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
So what's the shortened naming people will use? Just "Series X". You can't just call it your Xbox X because there's already one, no one is saying "my Xbox Series X". Might they say "my Xbox Series" but that sounds stupid. Hmmm. The naming is really getting quite convoluted with far too many X's all over the place lol.
People seem to go out of their way to make it confusing. There's no reason why people can't just say Xbox when they're referring to it.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the shortened naming people will use? Just "Series X". You can't just call it your Xbox X because there's already one, no one is saying "my Xbox Series X". Might they say "my Xbox Series" but that sounds stupid. Hmmm. The naming is really getting quite convoluted with far too many X's all over the place lol.
XSX is fine.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh my god but someone else posted that tweet to ERA!

This is outrageous. A scandal of our time.

(I'm watching The Crown)

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this was posted already, but i see now interesting chat (including some posters in this thread ) with Jason:

LOL

My guess is that the xsx will have a better gpu and higher tf count but the ps5 will have better ssd and possible more/better ram. In the end, the ps5 will have better performance but the xsx will have in some cases slightly better visuals.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
seems like this lines up with what everyone else in here is saying. We as gamers ultimately win from this. Fanboys will be hurt because they can't console war

if all we're able to compare is less than 10% difference in power and possibly SSD speeds... then who cares lol MS and Sony are both going in on content and even playing field means third parties can go nuts and PC gamers will finally have shit that takes advantage of their rigs

Dec 10, 2019
Pretty sure the only thing I said was that MS was behind Sony in the process of sharing kits and information, and that's because they are on different schedules.

Which is true.
Correct. You can be behind in the process of sharing kits and information and at the same time be ahead in the whole release process.
Sony could very well not have a 100% finalized industrial design for the retail unit yet.

I'm not saying this is the cases, but it certainly could be the case.
Both the RX5700 (XT) and the RX5500 have 2 Shader Arrays per Shader Engine. 5700 XT has 5 WGPs per Shader Array, 5500 has 6 WGPs per Shader Array. 5700 (XT) of course, has 2 Shader Engines, 5500 has only one. My thinking here is that there's likely a limit to how many WGPs you can have under a Shader Array before you start running into perf issues (and it wouldn't surprise me if 6 is the upper limit) and, since the memory access pattern was shifted from being L2- to L1-focused, it makes sense that, if you want to go up in size, you add another of these groups (a bunch of WGPs, L1 cache, RBs, etc). Why do that instead of adding an entire Shader Engine? Less area overhead. Additional Shader Engines would add more WGPs, more L1 cache, RBs, etc too, but, beyond that, more Geometry Processors, Graphics Command Processors, etc. A lot more stuff.

RX5700 has shown that you can have Shader Arrays with different number of active WGPs under the same Shader Engine, the only thing is that you seemingly need to have the same number of active WGPs per Shader Engine.
Do you think 3 Shader Engines is more likely or 2 bigger Shader Engines with more WGPs?

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
if all we're able to compare is less than 10% difference in power and possibly SSD speeds... then who cares lol MS and Sony are both going in on content and even playing field means third parties can go nuts and PC gamers will finally have shit that takes advantage of their rigs

Yup. Everybody should be happy about this. Next generation is gonna be mind blowing

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is what it is: Xbox Series X = XBSX
So what's the consensus now?
MS slightly edging Sony?
There is none. We have to wait until they finally reveal the specs.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I completely agree with all of that, but Microsoft has shown in the past how willing they are to take large losses (not specifically Xbox division but company wide). They are also extremely dedicated to moving all of their customers into a subscription based model. I wouldn't be shocked if they are willing to lose quite a bit per console in hopes of making up the loss several years down the road with subscription revenue.
I imagine Sony make far more profit from their 1st party games also since they sell so well. They may be willing to lose a bit on the hardware and recoup on the games.

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017
What an engine can do in one pair of hands, and what it could do - period - are very different things. It's not like you're guaranteed a certain standard because of a particular engine choice and a particular piece of hardware. So much depends on the developer, their choices, their aims etc. Without wanting to diss Godfall, there'll be more impressive UE4 games on PS5. And less impressive ones too, I'm sure! Games won't magically homogenise to a certain level of 'technical impressiveness' just because of new hardware... there'll still be a range of stuff that's clearly aiming for different technical goals.

The question of the choice of Godfall as 'the first PS5 game shown' is a different one, but I don't think it was chosen because it was the best looking thing in dev at the moment for PS5. It was probably chosen because the publisher thought it would be a good opportunity to get it some attention, and Sony allowed it.

Such a good post.

No irony here. ;)

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This post gets made every few pages like word for word...or are you trolling?
Seems like nothing has changed but who knows....
This thread is too big for me to skim through it, time is money you know. I don't follow it like hawk every day.

appears to be whispers that they are very similar, or if any advantage, only slight. People have alluded to that in here, and Jason just tweeted about it as well. Regardless, it seems like we all win in the end
Thank you.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
I wonder what the look on Mark Cernys face was last night. He was sat there in the audience and saw that XSX reveal.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States

LOL

1-2 years is way too early for this kind of iterative cycle to set in. Idk if we'll see that. Remember XOX/PS4 Pro were made to sell 4K TVs. These systems are made to sit at the highest echelon of hardware.

If anything the revisions will be smaller like the "slim" models with more efficiency. I don't really see us getting a Xbox SZ in 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.