• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i think you know something around the corner but believe the masses aren't ready for it. like a reason why sony nor Ms can claim the fastest/most powerful is because of stadia. that would be a twist!
stadia doesnt stop them from doing that because they only need to say "most powerful Console", and stadia is not a console.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Why Google didn't make at least a short tech demo to show the power of Stadia ? Sony/Microsoft/NVidia/AMD at least show us some tech demo before they release some new hw.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
8c/16t is a reality for pc

All the other things you guys dreaming here is embarrassing...it looks more like a bunch of fanboys jealous about pc.

Ps5 and scarlet with 2080/2080 ti Power... Lol will be hilarious when the reveal happens.

Who is saying that consoles going to have 2080ti in power ?
Of course 8c\16 is one PC ( and even better stuff) but people are talking about the min spec and it lower than that right now.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
8c/16t is a reality for pc

All the other things you guys dreaming here is embarrassing...it looks more like a bunch of fanboys jealous about pc.

Ps5 and scarlet with 2080/2080 ti Power... Lol will be hilarious when the reveal happens.
Again, they are different architectures.
It is not a 1:1 comparison

AkIRA_22

Oct 29, 2017
I've always been wary of comparisons to PC hardware, DF do a lot of them and they are dicey. I'd like to know how close does to the metal API like in console GPU get to high thermal output of PC component? Would a console 5700 out perform a PC 5700X?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

I can't wait not only for pre-release showcase of nextgen-only games, but for mid-gen PS5 games that will truly start to take advantage from the new hardware.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why Google didn't make at least a short tech demo to show the power of Stadia ? Sony/Microsoft/NVidia/AMD at least show us some tech demo before they release some new hw.
They did show some tech demos during their first connect like with stream connect and using multiple gpus, they all seemed like very early tech demos though

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: harassing another user/playing internet detective
I literally never, ever said PS5 was more powerful than nVidia 2080 and you know that.

Don't try to bait me.

Your condescending, abrasive style is why people tend not engage in any meaningful conversation with you.

You are obviously intelligent and well experienced and versed in what you do. But what attracts me and others like me to this thread in this forum is it encourages SMART and COURTEOUS discussion of Next-gen videogame hardware. Too much of one and not enough of the other usually results in the circular conversation we are having now. As should be obvious, but I will state it again and extend you the courtesy you don't offer me....

1-Current games running on RTX hardware are just that, current games.

2-Next-gen games (not to be confused with cross-gen games) are different from current generation games and are built to different specifications.

3-The game I saw was not designed to work on current spec hardware like a PS4 for instance.

4-I gave impressions of that Next-gen game running on PS5 which, to my eyes, look superior to current generation games in certain ways, which I have outlined as well as I can on several occasions.

New generation software exceeding previous generation software is definitely a thing and will continue to be a thing. The original reference I made to RTX is I saw Modern Warfare running on RTX and the RT shadow effects in that game looks similar to the PS5 demo I saw, but the PS5 game also had additional effects and scale of effects that seems even better.

I also said that (and this seems to be the crux of the hand-wringing/pearl-clutching) if you didn't know it was running on PS5 hardware, you would guess it was running on a 2080.

That's it.

Anything beyond that is a different discussion for a different person at a different time.

[Mod Edit: Information removed]

believe it or not, that thread was a response to another thread where the poor guy got dogpiled on. apparently, he was known on gaf too. he just doesnt like Sony exclusives. he hates how they win GDC awards for best tech year after year. im pretty sure he got triggered by you mentioning the demo running on a ps5 devkit and immediately and incorrectly assumed it was a sony first party game.

Last edited by a moderator:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They did.

they dont have any games taking advantage of it right now but there is a chance they might have something in the works. stadia will live and die by its exclusives just like any other console.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I can't wait not only for pre-release showcase of nextgen-only games, but for mid-gen PS5 games that will truly start to take advantage from the new hardware.

The Order came out rather early if you using that as a eg .
I expect games will take full advantage of consoles way before mid gen .
This gen start off rather slow because companies thought consoles were dead if we not talking first party .

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Again, they are different architectures.
It is not a 1:1 comparison
These new consoles will be x86 based. In the past with totally different archs consoles could extract magic sauces.

But now like I said if you get a 7850 hd it has on pair performance with a PS4 in 2019. There is bunch of benchmarks on YouTube .

And you can't compare with games that doesn't exist on pc like Sony fps.

A good bench for that will be Death Stranding since it uses Decima.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
What game is this? 'The Order' I'm guessing? (Not played it).
Yes. Good game, big potential, but short and with unsatisfying end. The launch consensus was that it was "not worth $60", but I always promote it as the best game for brand new PS4 owners. Great visual spectacle opener, and then they can move on to better games. :)

I also often use it as showcase of the great advancement between gen7 and gen8.

PS3 directfeed [720p] resized to 1080p for better comparison. TLOU1 is also regarded as visually most impressive game on gen7:
tlou1mqkxp.png

PS4 directfeed:
image_the_order_1886-25122-2752_0012.jpg

image_the_order_1886-23530-2752_0004.jpg

13dKgiB.jpg

1453912348-theorder-1886-20150221005955.jpg

1453912292-theorder-1886-20150219152807.jpg

Incredible advancement in texture/shader/particle/texture/polygon count/animation/shadow/volumetric effects [and much more].

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
While we're talking about multiple stadia instances......

With next gen probably supporting NVME gen 4, do we think that they could use it to support external GPUs or multi linking of systems for combined compute?

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
The Order came out rather early if you using that as a eg .
I expect games will take full advantage of consoles way before mid gen .
This gen start off rather slow because companies thought consoles were dead if we not talking first party .
Ryse Son Of Rome was released on xone premiere and is still one of best looking game this generation.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Yes. Good game, big potential, but short and with unsatisfying end. The launch consensus was that it was "not worth $60", but I always promote it as the best game for brand new PS4 owners. Great visual spectacle opener, and then they can move on to better games. :)

I also often use it as showcase of the great advancement between gen7 and gen8.

PS3 directfeed [720p] resized to 1080p for better comparison. TLOU1 is also regarded as visually most impressive game on gen7:
tlou1mqkxp.png

PS4 directfeed:
image_the_order_1886-25122-2752_0012.jpg

image_the_order_1886-23530-2752_0004.jpg

13dKgiB.jpg

1453912292-theorder-1886-20150219152807.jpg

Incredible advancement in texture/shader/particle/texture/polygon count/animation/shadow/volumetric effects [and much more].
Order is very impressive visually and also not a bad game(great universe and atmosphere) but end of game was very rushed (also some boss fight recycling), the money for further development was probably cut out.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I mean just look at the difference in gameplay for Star Citizen on a SSD vs HDD. Why wouldn't next gen be the same when both consoles will have PCIE SSD speeds?
There's a massive difference between hdd and ssd just because the access times are so much faster on ssd, but sata ssd vs pci-e you see way smaller gains. I have 1tb 850 evo sata one and 960pro nvme and there's barely any difference in game load times whilst the later benchmarks like 4x higher read/writes

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, the RDR2 PC performance thread is on fire because Rockstar added this ultra setting that is destroying PC GPUs even at 1080p. 4k 60 fps is completely out of the picture at that setting. The 580 (X1X GPU) gives 35 fps at 1080p. The X1X by comparison was a locked at native 4k 30 fps experience for me.

index.php

The 4k benchmarks look even worse. RTX 2080 is needed for 30 fps at native 4k.

index.php

Yes, i know Dictator will release a video showing how x1x is mostly medium settings but i bought an rtx 2080 to play everything at native 4k 60 fps at high or the highest settings. it pains me to cut down resolution or turn down settings. i think to myself if i have to put the settings down to medium then why did i pay $1,400 for a pc? 60 fps is a high price to pay. these benchmarks should serve as a cautionary tale to all the 60 fps or bust crowd on era because even the best graphics cards cannot do 4k 60 fps for current gen games.

lets hope devs ignore these people and settle for 30 fps games with checkerboarding.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Meanwhile, the RDR2 PC performance thread is on fire because Rockstar added this ultra setting that is destroying PC GPUs even at 1080p. 4k 60 fps is completely out of the picture at that setting. The 580 (X1X GPU) gives 35 fps at 1080p. The X1X by comparison was a locked at native 4k 30 fps experience for me.

index.php

index.php

Yes, i know Dictator will release a video showing how x1x is mostly medium settings but i bought an rtx 2080 to play everything at native 4k 60 fps at high or the highest settings. it pains me to cut down resolution or turn down settings. i think to myself if i have to put the settings down to medium then why did i pay $1,400 for a pc? 60 fps is a high price to pay. these benchmarks should serve as a cautionary tale to all the 60 fps or bust crowd on era because even the best graphics cards cannot do 4k 60 fps for current gen games.

lets hope devs ignore these people and settle for 30 fps games with checkerboarding.
You can play on high and not ultra. And like you said consoles are a mix of medium settings @ sub 30 fps.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019

index.php

index.php

5700 and 5700xt manage 60fps in fullHD (!), vary good prognostic for ps5 ;d edit: btw 5700xt on pair with rtx2080

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This room in the game is by far the most impressive single area ive seen in any game this gen. Maybe the rain in DriveClub and the snow storm in RDR2 come close, but everything in this scene was immaculately detailed and the atmosphere was so rich i felt like i was in that cockpit.

Ryse Son Of Rome was released on xone premiere and is still one of best looking game this generation.

It helps that Ryse and Order are basically the only linear corridor games this gen. It's kinda disappointing that the best developers this gen went with bigger worlds because these GPUs are able to produce some of the best looking visuals despite being launch and early gen games. Detroit is the only other linear game that comes to mind.

Hopefully next gen GPUs will allow devs to pack in this much detail in their open world games.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
5700 and 5700xt manage 60fps in fullHD (!), vary good prognostic for ps5 ;d edit: btw 5700xt on pair with rtx2080

On Ultra setting and we all know consoles don't be that high so that is rather good .
Next gen has a lot of new tech upcoming so that going to be even better like VSR , hybrid RT stuff etc etc .

This room in the game is by far the most impressive single area ive seen in any game this gen. Maybe the rain in DriveClub and the snow storm in RDR2 come close, but everything in this scene was immaculately detailed and the atmosphere was so rich i felt like i was in that cockpit.

For me that would be the UC4 house at the end of the game .
Some of that stuff look so damn good lol.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There's a massive difference between hdd and ssd just because the access times are so much faster on ssd, but sata ssd vs pci-e you see way smaller gains. I have 1tb 850 evo sata one and 960pro nvme and there's barely any difference in game load times whilst the later benchmarks like 4x higher read/writes
Huh figured the difference would have been greater between the Sata and PCIE SSD

index.php

index.php

This is a dumb post. Would you rather have the medium settings labeled as ultra so you feel better about yourself or true ultra settings that are above what the console can handle to future proof the game?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
If I had to guess a few likely ones:
- W3: eventually as they are busy with CP2077, which leads me to
- CP2077: no way in hell this doesn't get updated
- FO4: rubbish, but must play
- MGSV: little update, though with our luck they'll patch Survive (I think MGSV is their internal benchmark)
- FFXV: sold really well
- DMCV: but it gets more in a Special Edition
- DS3
- Hitman 2: pretty self-explanatory
- MHW: also very obvious
  • Don't see it happening. Pro / X patches was a shit show, especially on Pro
  • Yeah it will, but a paid relaunch
  • Meh
  • Why ?
  • Don't see it happening.
  • Maybe, but not free
  • Why ?
  • Hitman season 3 with previous playabled in 2021
  • Didn't thought of that one. I can see it.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a dumb post. Would you rather have the medium settings labeled as ultra so you feel better about yourself or true ultra settings that are above what the console can handle to future proof the game?
wait, where did i say that?

i used those benchmarks to make a point about 60 fps and next gen consoles. every pc gamer has to make compromises between resolution and visual settings. im not allowed to say it pains me to turn down settings?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
You're wrong! this is the best looking and most technically advanced video game has been released for current generation of consoles! :)
Uncharted-4-A-Thiefs-End_2016_02-24-16_002.jpg

Uncharted-4-Libertalia-View.jpg

I disagree. The obvious aliasing on the high frequency details spoils the overall IG. Uncharted 4, Horizon, GOW, Gears 5, RDR2 are all positively stunning games, but in terms of visual consistency in their IQ, they don't come close to The Order 1886, imo.

The Order looks like offline CGI throughout the entire game. It's very difficult to find a bad screenshot taking in unflattering lighting in that game, whereas it's easy to do so in the others.

Anyways, this is all opinions. So there's no right or wrong.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

index.php

index.php

I think DF's Gears 5 video shows how much the diminishing returns are between X1X and Ultra on PC.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
  • Don't see it happening. Pro / X patches was a shit show, especially on Pro
  • Yeah it will, but a paid relaunch
  • Meh
  • Why ?
  • Don't see it happening.
  • Maybe, but not free
  • Why ?
  • Hitman season 3 with previous playabled in 2021
  • Didn't thought of that one. I can see it.
Still waiting for you to reply to my actual point, rather than going "nuh-hu" at a list I specifically pointed out could only be guesswork.

Edit: What was wrong with W3? Looked pretty good on Pro

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

index.php

index.php

That's called ignorance. High or Highest settings means shit. From a game to another, it doesn't equal to the same graphical charge.
For one game, high setting for anti-aliasing could mean SMAA. For another, it could mean SSAA. For shadow resolution, one could have 4k shadows at high while the other may have 8k shadows. The words high/ultra and such are only relevant on a game by game basis.
If medium shadows for Red Dead Redemption 2 means 8k shadows while it means 2k shadows on another game on Ultra settings by your logic, you feel better with other game, just cause it says "ultra".

Also guru3D gave more explanations to these benchmarks. You should read those instead of just linking to benchmarks without any context.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
wait, where did i say that?

i used those benchmarks to make a point about 60 fps and next gen consoles. every pc gamer has to make compromises between resolution and visual settings. im not allowed to say it pains me to turn down settings?
You sure make it sound like you'd be happier if Medium settings were actually Ultra just so it feels like you're having the best experience. I would think PC Gamers would be happy to have above console quality settings that push their PCs hard. I know I'm happy to see it'll scale nicely into the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.