• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
"It should also be pointed out that high-end Navi GPUs might retain High-Bandwidth memory design like the current flagship. While AMD is featuring GDDR6 memory on their mainstream RDNA based cards, it is likely that the company would go ahead with the newer HBM2E VRAM.

The HBM2E DRAM comes in 8-Hi stack configuration and utilizes 16 Gb memory dies, stacked together and clocked at 3.2 Gbps. This would result in a total bandwidth of 410 GB/s on a single and 920 GB/s with two HBM2E stacks which is just insane. To top it all, the DRAM has a 1024-bit wide bus interface which is the same as current HBM2 DRAM. Samsung says that their HBM2E solution, when stacked in 4-way configuration, can offer up to 64 GB memory at 1.64 TB/s of bandwidth. Such products would only be suitable for servers/HPC workloads but a high-end graphics product for enthusiasts can feature up to 32 GB memory with just two stacks which is twice as much memory as the Radeon VII."
WCCF always goes off the rails with some shit.

AMD would be foolish to again make the mistake of using super expensive memory that gives them no advantage, and fucks up their pricing schemes.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
tomwarren meet kleegamefan. Maybe you two can exchange notes and see whats real and what fake sent out by Microsoft to fish for leakers.
If it were anything that Warren said it would be easy for Klee to answer because he wouldn't have to leak anything himself but only confirm deny if he's heard the same thing. Also, he could say that his past info is still relevant or not.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
WCCF always goes off the rails with some shit.

AMD would be foolish to again make the mistake of using super expensive memory that gives them no advantage, and fucks up their pricing schemes.
They'd have multiple memory types across the stack. HBM enables them to hit a higher TDP for the main die and stay under the magical 300W limit for cards.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
For me at least, and judging by the activity in the PC builder thread - Andrew House was right. 3 year upgrade cycle is ideal, after that point people really start drifting away from underpowered consoles seeking new better performing tech. A PS5 launching right now would be perfect, instead I am browsing anandtech.com and scan.co.uk lol. Hmm, I wonder if Star Wars Jedi was at one point supposed to be a PS5 launch game...

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
They'd have multiple memory types across the stack. HBM enables them to hit a higher TDP for the main die and stay under the magical 300W limit for cards.
HBM most definitely helped Vega as it was very bandwidth hungry and it also helped to keep the power draw in somewhat reasonable levels, expensive for sure but by no means to no benefit

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
image0.jpg

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
wait - at x019 it sounded very much like you could stream your digital library freely via Xcloud- I think the assumption was from MS data centre. If that's just their remote play variant that'd be a real disappointment
I am thinking you can stream your digital library "freely" as in it is available, not as in at no cost. Like you'd need a £5/mo xCloud sub to do so, or Gamepass Ultimate. Though, maybe plans have changed with Stadia free tier? The wording at E3 makes it seem like that, I just reviewed and checked:

"There's a new platform feature - Console Streaming. It turns your Xbox One in to your own personal - and FREE - xCloud server. [crowd whoops and hollers]. Whether you're using a console in our datacenter, or your console at home, this October you'll be able to use our hybrid gaming cloud to play YOUR games wherever you go."

It is weird to put emphasis on a console OS update being free. Well duh aren't they all? And also suspicious to classify a person's console with the update as "an xCloud server". I guess we'll see in due course. It's not like it's outside MS's pockets to provide a no-cost 1080p streaming if Google can.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
For me at least, and judging by the activity in the PC builder thread - Andrew House was right. 3 year upgrade cycle is ideal, after that point people really start drifting away from underpowered consoles seeking new better performing tech. A PS5 launching right now would be perfect, instead I am browsing anandtech.com and scan.co.uk lol. Hmm, I wonder if Star Wars Jedi was at one point supposed to be a PS5 launch game...
A 3 year doesn't make sense in the console world, unless we are talking a mid gen refresh, rather than a new gen.
I always love to see how devs squeeze more and more out of ageing hardware towards the end of the gen. With a 3 year cycle, we get one big AAA, or 2 AA games per dev before they move on to the next gen project without exploiting the existing hardware to its full limits.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
A 3 year doesn't make sense in the console world, unless we are talking a mid gen refresh, rather that a new gen.
I always love to see how devs squeeze more and more out of ageing hardware towards the end of the gen. With a 3 year cycle, we get one big AAA, or 2 AA games per dev before they move on to the next gen project without exploiting the existing hardware to its full limits.
Yes, obviously with a mid-gen - that's when Andrew House made the comments!

Feb 10, 2018

This problem will diminish somewhat, won't it?

RDR3 on base scarlett and PS5 will be like 4kcb @30fps with maybe a few rare random 1fps dips.
It would not be as bad as the base consoles this gen.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
What AMD needs is to be beating Nvidia on price/performance at the high end of the spectrum. HBM completely shutters that possibility. GDDR6 is too proven at this point to waste hundreds of dollars of the BOM on the memory.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
What AMD needs is to be beating Nvidia on price/performance at the high end of the spectrum. HBM completely shutters that possibility. GDDR6 is too proven at this point to waste hundreds of dollars of the BOM on the memory.
The RTX 2080 Ti retails for $1200 MSRP because they have no competition. They gave AMD plenty of room to compete even with HBM. To think otherwise just means Nvidia has been able to distort the market's expectations for too long.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
This problem will diminish somewhat, won't it?

RDR3 on base scarlett and PS5 will be like 4kcb @30fps with maybe a few rare random 1fps dips.
It would not be as bad as the base consoles this gen.
Possibly, but who knows? in 2027 any AAA game using primarily raster graphics may look horrendously outdated. Perhaps 30fps has been consigned to the archives of history? Or something else we can't dream of yet!

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
wait - at x019 it sounded very much like you could stream your digital library freely via Xcloud- I think the assumption was from MS data centre. If that's just their remote playvariant that'd be a real disappointment
From the beginning xcloud has had two parts. The remote streaming and the server streaming. Remote streaming has always been advertised as the free method that uses your own console. The server streaming has never been advertised as free.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Just a few more months. Will be nice to see this thread die off. Too much anxiety and passive aggressive arguing.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Just a few more months. Will be nice to see this thread die off. Too much anxiety and passive aggressive arguing.
The biggest thing will be dedicated console threads should reduce the platform warring. I was an advocate of a unified discussion given the likely shared architecture of the two, but pretty much every discussion has played out in the technical realm at this point.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
The RTX 2080 Ti retails for $1200 MSRP because they have no competition. They gave AMD plenty of room to compete even with HBM. To think otherwise just means Nvidia has been able to distort the market's expectations for too long.

Also, is there any chance of InFO_MS being used for some cards to reduce the cost of HBM? Or is it still much too early?

Feb 10, 2018
Possibly, but who knows? in 2027 any AAA game using primarily raster graphics may look horrendously outdated. Perhaps 30fps has been consigned to the archives of history? Or something else we can't dream of yet!

Games are not going to be fully raytraced in 2027 the ps5 + scarlett won't be powerful enough, unless they are extremely low poly or 480p or something.
It will be mix of raster and raytracing.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Games are not going to be fully raytraced in 2027 the ps5 + scarlett won't be powerful enough, unless they are extremely low poly or 480p or something.
It will be mix of raster and raytracing.
Obviously the PS5 and Scarlett won't be powerful enough, that was the whole point. Other hardware might well be, after nearly a decade of development in raytracing GPUs. At which point, your 4kCB 30fps RDR3 mostly raster with some RT shadows might not look anywhere close to "ok", and people will be again clamoring for upgrades! Perhaps.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
xCloud is not free, or at least is not free yet. Their Console Streaming, which is the Remote Play equivalent (though, in some key ways potentially better) will definitely be free. But RIGHT NOW, if you're in the preview test, as I am, it is free. In fact, I'm playing some games that I don't own, which is great. Tried out Ace Combat 7 yesterday via LTE. Worked great (though, I'm sure my standards are lower than many here). It worked so well most of the time (aside from a small screen that made text hard to see), that I got confused a couple times when I noticed the lag and then remembered I was streaming. It's not a pixel perfect game by any means, but speeds were more than sufficient to enjoy the game with essentially no compromises IMO.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
xCloud is not free, or at least is not free yet. Their Console Streaming, which is the Remote Play equivalent (though, in some key ways potentially better) will definitely be free. But RIGHT NOW, if you're in the preview test, as I am, it is free. In fact, I'm playing some games that I don't own, which is great. Tried out Ace Combat 7 yesterday via LTE. Worked great (though, I'm sure my standards are lower than many here). It worked so well most of the time (aside from a small screen that made text hard to see), that I got confused a couple times when I noticed the lag and then remembered I was streaming. It's not a pixel perfect game by any means, but speeds were more than sufficient to enjoy the game with essentially no compromises IMO.
So this is a dumb question but if I have game pass, do I get to use their xcloud servers for free?

Feb 10, 2018
Obviously the PS5 and Scarlett won't be powerful enough, that was the whole point. Other hardware might well be, after nearly a decade of development in raytracing GPUs. At which point, your 4kCB 30fps RDR3 mostly raster with some RT shadows might not look anywhere close to "ok", and people will be again clamoring for upgrades! Perhaps.

Consoles have dictated the technology for like 99% of games, so you may get some PC or stadia exclusive that does it, but I think it's extremely unlikely that raster games will look outdated, most games then will likely use a mix of raster and ray tracing.

I mean x1 + ps4 games hold up very well against somthing like star citizen.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
VRS confirmed for Sparkman is going to bump up the performance multiplier a bit for the Polaris to RDNA2 jump. VRS gives up to a 15% boost to titles without noticeable visual difference. Let's say that on average it's a 10% boost.

Considering that RDNA over Polaris is 30% perf boost per flop, adding VRS would bring that up to 43% perf boost per flop.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Since anything can turn in to a "next-gen leak", then here is Horizon 2 PS5 leaks:

pTagAj3.png

gNPtdhq.png

/s

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/dxr37v/my_aloy_cosplay_carja_blazon_from_horizon_zero/

Almost fooled me it looked like Aloy and I thought this was Horizon 2 PS5.

Seriously we can get fooeld by the internet by anything tbh these days. That GTA discord leak is obviously made by someone who isn't in the gaming industry, and with all respetcs, this doesn't look very professional tbh even for an offline redner, it seems to use V-Ray and not even Mnetal Ray for quick and less demanding Render and the GI and overall lighting looks so off which makes it look like a very old CGI. It's obvious that is not a next-gen ingame scene.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Since anything can turn in to a "next-gen leak", then here is Horizon 2 PS5 leaks:

pTagAj3.png

gNPtdhq.png

/s

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/dxr37v/my_aloy_cosplay_carja_blazon_from_horizon_zero/

Seriously we can get fooeld by the internet by anything tbh these days. That GTA discord leak is obviously made by someone who isn't in the gaming industry, and with all respetcs, this doesn't look very professional tbh even for an offline redner, it seems to use V-Ray and not even Mnetal Ray for quick and less demanding Render and the GI and overall lighting looks so off which makes it look like a very old CGI. It's obvious that is not a next-gen ingame scene.
Lol horizon zero dawn on ps4 had more details in background and more NPC in the world . Ps5 4 TF confirmed XD

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

pTagAj3.png

gNPtdhq.png

/s

Textures could be better.

Patent - New controller design featuring a microphone

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So that 'hole' in the Dualshock 5... is a microphone. Seems to wrap around the front and back of the controller.

Appeared today:

TLjLOUz.png

39bCxKJ.png

Im6nsXC.png

The article according to the present design is an electronic device that functions as, for example, a game machine, a computer main body, a sound (music) and / or video player, a recording and / or video recorder, a network recorder, or a player for a recording medium such as a DVD. It is used to operate. A portion indicated by a solid line in the drawing is a microphone sound collecting hole.

In each figure, the part represented by a solid line is a part that is about to undergo design registration as a partial design. The alternate long and short dash line is a line that indicates only the boundary between the part that is to receive design registration as a partial design and the other part.

As you can see, the solid line is the bit around the microphone. The dotted line is a partial/incomplete/'representative' design that's not part of the registration. There are more pics at the link.

Last edited:

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So that 'hole' in the Dualshock 5... is a microphone. Seems to wrap around the front and back of the controller.

Appeared today:

TLjLOUz.png

39bCxKJ.png

Im6nsXC.png

As you can see, the solid line is the bit around the microphone. The dotted line is a partial/incomplete/'representative' design that's not part of the registration. There are more pics at the link.

Playstation Assistant here we go. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.