• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So that 'hole' in the Dualshock 5... is a microphone. Seems to wrap around the front and back of the controller.

Appeared today:

TLjLOUz.png

39bCxKJ.png

Im6nsXC.png

As you can see, the solid line is the bit around the microphone. The dotted line is a partial/incomplete/'representative' design that's not part of the registration. There are more pics at the link.

Well i was always fed up that the DS4 didn't offer a wireless solution for microphone from the start, the wired default one was low quality and could break at any time and the wire itself is bothering for brisk movements. So I was playing online without microphone the majority of PS4 gamers too. Not only that but Sony didn't allow normal bluetooth headsets from phones to work on PS4 like on PS3 and forced people to buy their expensive metal headsets. Now I am happy with this, not just for voice assitant, but that everyone can voice chat in games and maybe many games wil include vocie commands as part of their gameplay by default now.
What happened to the dual speakers from both sides that were talked about? I hope this is not the final design, a dual speaker would make things much better, remember the haptic feedback is tied to the sounds coming from the controller to add more immersion.
Also I really hope a touch screen is included too.
I don't dig the bigger design but if it's to allow a touch screen then i am fine with it.

I think this needs its own thread tbh.

Edit: The link doesn't display anything. Was this removed after it got discovered?
It says in Japenese: The specified information does not exist.

Edit 2 : Look closely, there is a new slit on top of the touchpad/touch screen. What is it? another microphone or another speaker?

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So that 'hole' in the Dualshock 5... is a microphone. Seems to wrap around the front and back of the controller.

Appeared today:

TLjLOUz.png

39bCxKJ.png

Im6nsXC.png

As you can see, the solid line is the bit around the microphone. The dotted line is a partial/incomplete/'representative' design that's not part of the registration. There are more pics at the link.
Wait is it confirmed this is Dualshock 5? Doesn't look much different than 4.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Edit: The link doesn't display anything. Was this removed after it got discovered?
It says in Japenese: The specified information does not exist.

Oh sorry - I think that's just the JP patent office's weird URL structure.

Try this:

Then click on the link labelled 意匠登録1645826

Wait is it confirmed this is Dualshock 5? Doesn't look much different than 4.

The 'dotted' design is just there for context - it may not be very meaningful. What's actually being registered is just the 'solid' bit, the microphone hole.

I'm taking this as confirmation that the 'hole' reported in the Wired article is indeed a microphone as speculated, not that the overall design here is the final DS5 design. Though it may indeed be very similar to the DS4.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Oh sorry - I think that's just the JP patent office's weird URL structure.

Try this:

Then click on the link labelled 意匠登録1645826

The 'dotted' design is just there for context - it may not be very meaningful. What's actually being registered is just the 'solid' bit, the microphone hole.

I'm taking this as confirmation that the 'hole' reported in the Wired article is indeed a microphone as speculated, not that the overall design here is the final DS5 design. Though it may indeed be very similar to the DS4.

Yes it works now. Thanks.

Well you can obviously notice there is a slit on top of the touch pad. It's obvious duh.

I think you should make a thread about this patent.

The drawing on the patent is not the design of the dualshock 5.

Still, not talking about the design itslef but the features like the micropone and that added slit (could be a top microphone or another speaker).

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
That'd be the light bar you can see in DS4 V2

Lightbar is longer that that and lightbar doesn't constitue a separate part that is mandated to be drawn in a perspective. This is definitely a small slit that is hollow and the perspective requires it to be drawn, unlike the lightbar.

Edit; the back lightbar seems to not exist anymore, it's either the projection view doesn't require drawing it or that it really got deleted this time which means the touch screen could be a touch screen this time.

1645826_000007.jpg

Last edited:

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
Lightbar is longer that that and lightbar doesn't constitue a sseparate part that is mandated to be drawn in a perspective. This is definitely a small slit that is hollow and the perspective requires it to be drawn, unlike the lightbar.

Edit; the back lightbar seems to not exist anymore, it's either the projection view doesn't require drawing it or that it really got deleted this time which means the touch screen could be a touch screen this time.

1645826_000007.jpg
I mean the light slit, the one where you see the light through the touchpad.

Furthermore the dotted lines are temp designs to provide context for the patent.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I mean the light slit, the one where you see the light through the touchpad.

Furthermore the dotted lines are temp designs to provide context for the patent.

Listen buddy. I have been drawing perpspectives and projections my whole life. If a part doesn't require drawing, it's because there is a sudden change of reliefs or hinges or furrows or parts stitched together. The lightbar on top of the touchpad is an integral part of it and doesn't have any of those conditions so a projection view or dotted one doesn't need it it to be drawn just like how this projection didn't require drawing the square/triangle/circle/X buttons cus they are just a decoration and integrated to the buttons themselves and don't represent a sudden shift or change in shape.
This is definitley a hollow slit and smaller than the lightbar. I must be something. Mostly the microphone itself.
The back lightbar wasn't even drawn and that one has a change in shape and is another part. This is the intriguing part. This coudl mean there won't be a lightbar to start with.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
No reason to talk about parts of the patented controller design that are not relevant to the patent, as those companies usually patent each part of the controller separately.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
Listen buddy. I have been drawing perpspectives and projections my whole life. If a part doesn't require drawing, it's because there is a sudden change of reliefs or hinges or furrows or parts stitched together. The lightbar on top of the touchpad is an integral part of it and doesn't have any of those conditions so a projection view or dotted one doesn't need it it to be drawn just like how this projection didn't require drawing the square/triangle/circle/X buttons cus they are just a decoration and integrated to the buttons themselves and don't represent a sudden shift or change in shape.
This is definitley a hollow slit and smaller than the lightbar. I must be something. Mostly the microphone itself.
I'm not trying to undermine your expertise, but then why is it dotted?
The patent clarifies that the microphone patent is in a solid line.

It might not be the light slit, but it most certainly isn't the microphone if it is dotted.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not trying to undermine your expertise, but then why is it dotted?
The patent clarifies that the microphone patent is in a solid line.

It might not be the light slit, but it most certainly isn't the microphone if it is dotted.

Yes it is not the top lightbar but it could be anything else, it could be a micropone 'for recording or capturing soemthing else) or another speaker or even something else we don't know yet. Like I said they didn't even represent the back lightbar which is weird. which leads me to think this may not even feature a lightbar and the touchbar is replaced by touchscreen that could replace the lightbar. After all rumors of touchscreen were always circulating.

Edit: What modiz said, they could have just highlighted the bottom microphone in this patent and the dotted design is just a general look and not a final thing. They don't require drawing the authentic design in such case, hence the XB1 shape of the controller to start with.

No reason to talk about parts of the patented controller design that are not relevant to the patent, as those companies usually patent each part of the controller separately.

It could be that, and they just highlighted the microphone in this patent but messed up the rest. So this is mostly not the real design fo the controller.

Last edited:
Patent - New controller design compared with DualShock 4

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying the dotted part is necessarily significant, but I think its noteworthy that when you put it up against the DS4 applications (and it's 'dotted' bits), there are some differences. So, at least, the dotted bits aren't just a copy-paste from DS4 applications.

E.g.

rFyglvE.png

itTTCeb.png

xI6MvYZ.png

mnMHl0z.png

PBerAy6.png

(sorry about some lines 'disappearing'... had to rescale the images from the new application to be more directly comparable to the ds4 pics, but using mspaint :eek: And my re-scaling is rough, so size comparisons might be off - I'm sure someone with photoshop or whatnot could do a better job.)

Of course the dotted bits in the new application may be purely abstract and not extracted from a physical, nevermind final, design. But it's notable enough that they didn't use a direct DS4 copy-pasta.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying the dotted part is necessarily significant, but I think its noteworthy that when you put it up against the DS4 applications (and it's 'dotted' bits), there are some differences. So, at least, the dotted bits aren't just a copy-paste from DS4 applications.

E.g.

rFyglvE.png

Not crucial but still we can't ignore them. We can't confirm anything yet, except the microphone for now.

Edit: apart from the shape which is different tlower and top parts that get joined in a different way (top and bottom part get attached in the middle this time), the triggers are different too. The USB port is on top now instead of the bottom which means like I said before the lightbar is removed. maybe replcaed by a touchscreen which can give similar and more advanced infos. Tbh, I don't think this should be that ignored especially the DS4 design is similar to the current one.

The disappearnce of back lightbar could affect playing PS VR games and PS Camera games, unless they have a work around now.

Last edited:

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017

E.g.

rFyglvE.png

Again, a move towards the Xbox style - the join is along the middle.

That little bit that comes out at the top is interesting...maybe a new lightbar position for BC?

Edit - it's actually more like they pushed the trackpad up a bit.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Again, a move towards the Xbox style - the join is along the middle.

That little bit that comes out at the top is interesting...maybe a new lightbar position for BC?

Edit - it's actually more like they pushed the trackpad up a bit.

Read above no back lightbar and USB port is on top instead of bottom, diffeernt triggers and that is a slit buddy not a ligthbar on top of touchpad. You don't need a hollow slit for lightbar. Pls :p
Also the back lightbar is necessary not only to light up the whole scene to see effects of light changing hence even lighting up the top lightbar which is just a transparent part in V2 and not a slit (otherwsie why make an inernal LED light just to light a small part on top of this touchpad this time) but also and moslty to tget tracked by PS Camera for playing PS VR and PS Camera games. I wodner how they gonna deal with those games on PS5. I hope they have a workaround.

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

E.g.

rFyglvE.png

itTTCeb.png

xI6MvYZ.png

mnMHl0z.png

PBerAy6.png

(sorry about some lines 'disappearing'... had to rescale the images from the new application to be more directly comparable to the ds4 pics, but using mspaint :eek: And my re-scaling is rough, so size comparisons might be off - I'm sure someone with photoshop or whatnot could do a better job.)

Of course the dotted bits in the new application may be purely abstract and not extracted from a physical, nevermind final, design. But it's notable enough that they didn't use a direct DS4 copy-pasta.
Great comparison.

Based on other patents, I believe the controller can be tracked via other means, removing the need for the light bar.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I've edited in some more comparison pics.

The application I used for the DS4 reference:

Someone with photoshop could probably make better comparisons - my scaling is undoubtedly not perfect.

But size aside, you can see some clear, if not subtle, shape differences in various places.

(The other thing to beware of is, that the DS4 designs above may actual vary slightly from the real product in finer details? E.g. the number of speaker holes isn't physically 1:1 accurate.)

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Holy shit, no more lightbar hopefully means no more shitty tracking for PSVR2 YAY!
PSVR backwards compatibility will probably mean you'll have to keep your DS4.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I like that the DS5 prototype is going to be bigger, I always felt like the DS4 was small for my hands.

Just beware that I only roughly scaled those pics, so maybe don't judge relative size by them. Someone with better image editing software could do a better job, maybe use the analog stick as a point of reference, and use opacity to lay one on top the other. Just by eyeballing though, I think that yes, it is possibly a touch bigger in some places.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017

E.g.

rFyglvE.png

itTTCeb.png

xI6MvYZ.png

mnMHl0z.png

PBerAy6.png

Handles looks a bit like xbox controller

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
With the bigger battery, the haptic rumble and resistance triggers, no wonder the whole thing is a bit bigger than DS4.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I've edited in some more comparison pics.

The application I used for the DS4 reference:

Someone with photoshop could probably make better comparisons - my scaling is undoubtedly not perfect.

But size aside, you can see some clear, if not subtle, shape differences in various places.

Well like I said we can't ignore the shapes now sicne the patent for DS4 is exactly similar.

Now let's sum things for DS5.

- overall shape looking bigger with grip almost as thick as the XB1 controller
- top and bottom parts joining in the middle
- Analogue stick look a little smaller and distanced from buttons
- Triggers are different, bigger and wider with a shape like a gun trigger (maybe to conduct the feeling of resistance when trigger resistance is applied) / They have more of a deep curve to them. Also, less inclined inwards. And the handles project further into them, meaning you'll probably be able to set this controller down without activating the triggers
- Removal of lightbar
- USB port is now in the top part where back lightbar was
- a small slit is on top of touchpad now (a possible extra speaker for the possible trackpad being replaced by a touchscreen?)
- Microphone seem to be wrapping around the lower part of the controller
- periperal port was replaced by anotehr jack plug, why?

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Seeing that the new patent uses a USB C i am starting to think this really is the controller design.
Although if i am honest i dont like this design very much.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Share and options buttons are a bit farther than the D-pad and face buttons than on DS4. That should probably be enough to partially solve the problem of pushing those buttons by accident.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Share and options buttons are a bit farther than the D-pad and face buttons than on DS4. That should probably be enough to partially solve the problem of pushing those buttons by accident.
Yes and directional buttons and actions buttons are a little distanced from the analogues stick too so this should reduce occasional brisk bumps on the sticks when changing between button and sticks in rapid games.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
Read above no back lightbar and USB port is on top instead of bottom, diffeernt triggers and that is a slit buddy not a ligthbar on top of touchpad. You don't need a hollow slit for lightbar. Pls :p
Also the back lightbar is necessary not only to light up the whole scene to see effects of light changing hence even lighting up the top lightbar which is just a transparent part in V2 and not a slit (otherwsie why make an inernal LED light just to light a small part on top of this touchpad this time) but also and moslty to tget tracked by PS Camera for playing PS VR and PS Camera games. I wodner how they gonna deal with those games on PS5. I hope they have a workaround.

I was talking about this bit;

DS5b.png

Status
Not open for further replies.