• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Underground
DS5 looking nice. I still think their could be a light bar up top, but without a visible cutout. The light on the touchpad of newer DS4s is hidden when the controller is off so maybe they have similar translucency on top with the DS5.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Here's a better attempt at scaling the new design, assuming the analog sticks are the same size:

i7v2SBB.png

If you lay them flat on top of each other, the new one is indeed a little bit bigger, and the face buttons are slightly more spread out. My shitty attempt to layer the new over the old, pivoted around the left analog stick (new is more transparent):

iZkMnhQ.png

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt it's a touchscreen. Probably just a touchpad and the slit is an RGB LED light.

Touchscreens on controllers are virtually useless.

DS5 looking nice. I still think their could be a light bar up top, but without a visible cutout. The light on the touchpad of newer DS4s is hidden when the controller is off so maybe they have similar translucency on top with the DS5.

Unless that slit is a separate LED part that is constructed by digging a rectangular hole in the trackpad instead of making a part of it transparent like in DS4 like for example DS1 and DS2 analogue light Then is ABSOLUTELY NOT A LIGHTBAR. Then why bother integrating an inner lightbar, digging the trackpad to gather dus, just to show that inner lightbar instead of makign it transparent, while beign even smaller than the transparent top lightbar from DS4 V2, while removing the back lightbar (or masking it) which is crucial to PS VR games and PS Camera? You see? This is not relevent at all...
There is no lightbar in thi design. Period.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Here's a better attempt at scaling the new design, assuming the analog sticks are the same size:

i7v2SBB.png

If you lay them flat on top of each other, the new one is indeed a little bit bigger, and the face buttons are slightly more spread out. My shitty attempt to layer the new over the old, pivoted around the left analog stick (new is more transparent):

iZkMnhQ.png

Took the liberty of using your reference scaled images to line them up using a colored version of the "DS5", for ease of reading:

MGQs5l0.jpg

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Unless that slit is a separate LED part that is constructed by digging a rectangular hole in the trackpad instead of making a part of it transparent like in DS4 like for example DS1 and DS2 analogue light Then is ABSOLUTELY NOT A LIGHTBAR. Then why bother integrating an inner lightbar, digging the trackpad to gather dus, just to show that inner lightbar instead of makign it transparent, while beign even smaller than the transparent top lightbar from DS4 V2, while removing the back lightbar (or masking it) which is crucial to PS VR games and PS Camera? You see? This is not relevent at all...
How do you think the controllers will indicate which player they belong to?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
How do you think the controllers will indicate which player they belong to?

Touch screen. Or something similar to the Dualshock 3 player light indicator being as subtle as the top lightbar fromDS4 V2 with a small light integaretd somewhere seamlessly and not being carved into the skull of the controller which doesn't require being drawn inperspectives and projections hence the reason for not seeeing it. But I am more inclined toward a touch screen.

Edit: This lightbar doesn't require to be drawn in perspectives or projections cus its an inetgrated part of the piece by being transparent (and it's much longer than the craved slit:

maxresdefault.jpg

This light is carved through the skull of the controller and the diode is being assembled under the controller and shown from that carving into the controller so it must drawn and represented in projections and perspectives:

dual-analog-pad.jpg

This is purely technical and I hope this will end up the theories about that being a top lightbar. There is not lightbar in thoseprojections and perspectives from DS5. Neither from the back nor from the top.

This slit coincides exactly with a speaker of phones with touch screens imo.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
One noticeable tweak is that they've seemingly spread everything, especially the analog sticks, further away from the centerline, what is likely going to make the touchpad more ergonomic and easier to use.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Eh, we'll see. I still think there will be a light bar up top (not the front on the touch area). I definitely don't believe the touchpad has been replaced with a touchscreen either. Unless it's going to be an OLED and a make use of a predominantly black UI, it'd consume too much power.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, we'll see. I still think there will be a light bar up top (not the front on the touch area). I definitely don't believe the touchpad has been replaced with a touchscreen either. Unless it's going to be an OLED and a make use of a predominantly black UI, it'd consume too much power.

Please read above, my post with the screens. I really don't want to come back to it. This purely technical and rules are applied to drawing perspectives and projections. There is no lightbar in that design neither on top nor from the back. This is not about assumptions or thinking. I explained it above.

About touchscreen, I can't confirm that. It could be anything.

Edit: the only infinitesimal chance to have a lightbar in the back like before is to have the LED lightbar being completely integrated into the skull of the back of the controller which mans the LED exists inside the controlelr but in order for it to get displayed is by making the back part transparent like V2 top lightbar instead of it being a separate part like the V1 hence it not being drawn in projections.

But now the USB port is on top now which can nullify this.

Sorry I can't be more thorough about this. I explianed the possibilities within the realms of technical possibilities based on those designs.

Last edited:

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hope that's a touchscreen. Even just the cheapest lowest resolution one available, would be such a coup.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Chunkier controller, yes please! Hope that's the case in the final thing. Obviously bigger better battery is a must and I believe has been confirmed in one of the two previous Sony reveal articles, has it not?

Edit: I'd be disappointed though if the Share/Options buttons are still like this. They should be circular and raised just a little bit, and made super clicky. The current spongy ones that blend in with the controller surface are a bit of a pain to use, especially games like Death Stranding where you use it more often than other games.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Please read above, my post with the screens. I really don't want to come back to it. This purely technical and rules are applied to drawing perspectives and projections. There is no lightbar in that design neither on top nor from the back. This is not about assumptions or thinking. I explained it above.

About touchscreen, I can't confirm that. It could be anything.

Edit: the only infinitesimal chance to have a lightbar in the back like before is to have the LED lightbar being completely integrated into the skull of the back of the controller which mans the LED exists inside the controlelr but in order for it to get displayed is by making the back part transparent like V2 top lightbar instead of it being a separate part like the V1 hence it not being drawn in projections.

But now the USB port is on top which can nullify this.

Sorry I can't be more thorough about this. I explianed the possibilities within the realms of technical possibilities based on those designs.
Hadn't refreshed the page so didn't see your above post. I think I get what you're saying. Anyway, looking forward to seeing the actual controller.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oOo

I come back to this thread and find a leaked DS5 render? Nice! I hope this is the actual design as the DualShock series has needed better ergonomics for quite some time. It just doesn't quite fit my hands as nicely as the Xbox controllers have. Even the Switch Pro Controller is much better IMO.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

Any interface on a controller that takes your vision from the main screen - where, you know, the game is happening - to a tiny screen elsewhere is a bad interface. Virtually any information you could convey through the controller screen you can convey on the main screen without doing this.

You'd think that people would've learned this after the WiiU.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'll be very disappointed if they change the shape its perfect as is.

If they do change it I hope they let you use ds4.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Dual Shock 5 looks nice.

However, I'm more taken by my Switch Pro Controller so will be missing those assymetrical sticks.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Any interface on a controller that takes your vision from the main screen - where, you know, the game is happening - to a tiny screen elsewhere is a bad interface. Virtually any information you could convey through the controller screen you can convey on the main screen.

This.

Never understand why people are obsessed with fancy controller features. The speaker in the DS4 for instance. Such a bad audio quality and just usless overall imo. Can anybody tell me what happens if I use headphones ? Does the speaker automatically turn off or is it still on but no one hears it ? Never had the opportunity to test it as it is rarely implemented it seems.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'll be very disappointed if they change the shape its perfect as is.

If they do change it I hope they let you use ds4.
I disagree about the shape, I often get hand cramp when playing games like GT Sport where I'm gripping the controller quite tightly at all times as I'm sucked into some tense gameplay... I think this chunkier handle design will alleviate that to an extent.

I agree in DS4 usage next gen. Since there doesn't appear to be any new buttons it would make sense to allow old controllers for most games unless there's an explicit new feature were not aware of yet that some games will use (I'm thinking more VR games and this has a new tracking system).

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
Anyone else disappointed that this probably means no paddles? It seems like third party controllers will continue to be the best way to play a lot of competitive games..

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
This.

Never understand why people are obsessed with fancy controller features. The speaker in the DS4 for instance. Such a bad audio quality and just usless overall imo. Can anybody tell me what happens if I use headphones ? Does the speaker automatically turn off or is it still on but no one hears it ? Never had the opportunity to test it as it is rarely implemented it seems.
Yes, sounds that usually come out of the controller (like the BB in Death Stranding) will come out of the headset. The controller is silent when you use headphones.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So that 'hole' in the Dualshock 5... is a microphone. Seems to wrap around the front and back of the controller.

Appeared today:

TLjLOUz.png

39bCxKJ.png

Im6nsXC.png

As you can see, the solid line is the bit around the microphone. The dotted line is a partial/incomplete/'representative' design that's not part of the registration. There are more pics at the link.
From the back it looks much chunkier than DS4

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Any interface on a controller that takes your vision from the main screen - where, you know, the game is happening - to a tiny screen elsewhere is a bad interface. Virtually any information you could convey through the controller screen you can convey on the main screen.

Well I can say the same about the lightbar whether V1 or V2. But now it can get in handy. I take Alien Isolation as example, the game is very imersive on PS4 with voice trackign and head tracking the PS Camera and microphone, the speaker makes sounds when using the radar and lightbar becomes green like the radar. Imagine the total immersion if the green light became a total radar like the game (instead of having it ingame). It will be the most immersive thing ever. In fact even if you were in real life, you should look in the radar to see Alien approaching then look in your surrondings so it's correctly realitsic. Also many games have companions apps that require phones to be used and games even offer mobile gameplay in home consoels like PVZ GW with the boss mode or Beyond Two Souls controlling the ghost or playlink games. So instead of needing a phone for that, you can use your controller. Also the screen can display many infos like map or inventory. Sometimes it's betetr not overlap the map over your screen when playing because you can get hit especially in MP games.

This.

Let's hope the monospeaker is better quality now and that slit is a speaker for the possible touch screen. Keep in mind the sound coming from controller was described as a symbiosis with haptic feedback to convey the feeling shock.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else disappointed that this probably means no paddles? It seems like third party controllers will continue to be the best way to play a lot of competitive games..

Paddles are the least likely thing to come to a standard controller. They're confusing for the general audience, and more importantly accessory makers know they can charge a premium for them.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I think it will have a little screen. It is the next step after the DS4 touchpad.

Wii U never dies.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Yes, sounds that usually come out of the controller (like the BB in Death Stranding) will come out of the headset. The controller is silent when you use headphones.

Alright thanks for replying. I would like to have some sort of "light" version of the controllers from Sony and MS as I don't even use the rumble function. Controllers could be easily 10 dollars less then. But that might not happening I guess.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree about the shape, I often get hand cramp when playing games like GT Sport where I'm gripping the controller quite tightly at all times as I'm sucked into some tense gameplay... I think this chunkier handle design will alleviate that to an extent.

I agree in DS4 usage next gen. Since there doesn't appear to be any new buttons it would make sense to allow old controllers for most games unless there's an explicit new feature were not aware of yet that some games will use (I'm thinking more VR games and this has a new tracking system).

DS4 is terrible for racing games. This is the main reason I prefer racing on X1, unless I'm doing so with a wheel (in which case PS4 is fine).

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

i7v2SBB.png

iZkMnhQ.png
Guys here is a theory

The rectangle is a screen that can be lifted up for viewing angles while playing to so u don't have to look too DOWN? It looks like that to me at least

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Yea the angle will be like that but not that size . It looks like from drawing it can be lifted and not embedded

So DS5 is baby of Ds4 ,x1 controller and wii u controller plus some joycon funtionality ?

I m down lol

Dude wth, don't play with my mind ok? Now I am imagine that slit being a joint that allows the screen to get foled and when unfolded you get a double screen, something similar to DS and 3DS....

Now, I can't sleep if this is the truth. @_@

Edit: Or a top screen that gets revaled and under it a touchpad.

Ok, I need to stop, I just need to settle for that slit not being a lightbar, that is all, and not fall in imagination. XD

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Like I said, I disagree.

Already on certain games the touchpad is literally used as a touchscreen, only you can't see what you are pressing. Press the left side for one function, the middle for another, the right for another. Different games have different setups. This is literally a touchscreen control layout, minus the screen showing you what you are hitting. The only thing difference being that it is worse to use than it would be as touch screen. You can't tell me there is any advantage of this being a touchpad rather than a screen. If that cost barrier isn't an issue anymore it only makes sense.

You are conflating arguments about physical vs virtual buttons, or the shitty Wii-U and whatever it was doing, with what we actually have here.

The touchscreen doesn't have to be all singing all dancing, central to the game, distracting, it can just be a means to an end of cleanly rounding out some less commonly used controls.

Now what's quicker, glancing at a touchscreen and hitting the displayed button (eg. map, chat, inventory, loadout) or mashing each corner of it until you work out which corner does what for the upteenth time depending on the game?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I am in the minority here, but I hate having to stop what I am doing to look down at the controller. I really disliked the WiiU controller for that reason. Immersion breaking.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The DS4 is not the perfect shape for me, it's good, but the Switch pro controller is far more comfortable.

I also wish they would swap the left stick and d-pad around.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dude wth, don't play with my mind ok? Now I am imagine that slit being a joint that allows the screen to get foled and when unfolded you get a double screen, something similar to DS and 3DS....

Now, I can't sleep if this is the truth. @_@

Edit: Or a top screen that gets revaled and under it a touchpad.

Ok, I need to stop, I just need to settle for that slit not being a lightbar, that is all, and not fall in imagination. XD
To be honest that thing can be 2 things only:

light bar or hinge mechanism for screen that lifts up (and no it doesn't get double lol ). Tiny screen for UI stuff to send friends invite or respond to friends without going out(overlay menu I mean not completely out ) of the game

Edit:if it is a light bar this can not be a screen at all and it's a touch pad .

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe the touchpad is modular and you can insert a touchpad + wifi for cloud/remote gaming or a better handphone clip?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I guess I am in the minority here, but I hate having to stop what I am doing to look down at the controller. I really disliked the WiiU controller for that reason. Immersion breaking.
If it's only for UI stuff u don't have to look at it when playing games at all. It is for you to invite a friend to your game or send a quick response and stuff like that related UI

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, we need a developer or insider to come and confirm this is the controller like the devkit. I hope he won't get in trouble after. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.