• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2018
Didn't he say that according to Target specs Sony is aiming slightly higher/more powerfull?

From leaks we are all assuming that Sony is pushing their hardware to the limit and MS coming across cocky seems like they are holding back and will increase clock speeds while having higher CU count. They already had two great cooling solutions in a row, I don't see how they mess up the next one.

Speaking of cooling, does anyone know if that huge hole on Scarlett motherboard(bottom right in e3 video) is for some type of cooling?(blue motherboard right after mentioning SSD)

Klee has said on multiple occasions that the PS5 is still slightly more powerful then scarlett according to his dev source.

Can it change? Yes of course, but klee is the most reliable info we have at the moment.

EsqBob

Nov 7, 2017
I believe it'll be the 2.0ghz clock that pushes the PS5 to near RTX 2080 territory more than the flops. If you followed Nvidia GPUs, their high clocks are one of the major reasons why they have the perf per flop advantage.
Wrong. Tflops are proportional to clocks. The Nvidia GPUs have better performance per Tflop than the GCN GPUs

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't he say that according to Target specs Sony is aiming slightly higher/more powerfull?

From leaks we are all assuming that Sony is pushing their hardware to the limit and MS coming across cocky seems like they are holding back and will increase clock speeds while having higher CU count. They already had two great cooling solutions in a row, I don't see how they mess up the next one.

Speaking of cooling, does anyone know if that huge hole on Scarlett? motherboard(bottom right in e3 video) is for some type of cooling?
LThjcSb.jpg
The larger your die, the harder it is to achieve higher clocks.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
RE: that PS5 controller, did anyone read the patent's description? Would really be surprised if it's for the controller as a whole and not for a specific function of the controller.

The controller's look and shape would relate more to an industrial design anyway. Although in some countries like the US, patents and IDs are interchangeable it seems. (I've worked for 12 years at the Canadian IP office, although in communications, not as an examiner or anything like that though)

You guys also need to keep in mind that if we're seeing this patent now, it must have been filed 1 to 3 years ago as patents are kept private for a pretty good amount of time. So that MS controller has probably been file a while ago too.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
The flute leaked benchmark showed 16GB of 18gbps GDDR6 in clamshell mode, with 530GB/s bandwidth.
For comparison the 5700 XT has 448GB/s.

I keep seeing you post this matter-of-factly, when in fact there is a huge helping of your own speculation you're including in this summary of the flute leak.

The fluke leak showed 16x 1GByte chips. They could be two 8-high stacks of HBM for all we know. Equally the bandwidth shown was measured bandwidth, which simply will not let you infer total system bandwidth from those numbers.

If you're referencing the fluke leak, please stick to the facts of the leak and clearly designate any of your own speculation as speculation. Otherwise, we get into next-gen spec Chinese whispers, where posters start quoting speculation as assumed fact based on a leak it was never included in to begin with.

There are parts of the GPU that are boosted by clocks, including pixel engine, geometry engine, render backend. Given two GPUs with the same flops, the GPU with the higher clock is always better performing.

Depends entirely on GPU microarchitecture and the difference in clockspeed between the two. A lower clocked 2TF RDNA GPU will beat the shit out of a hypothetical 2TF Xenos; the difference in microarchitectural efficiency more than makes up for any clockspeed difference as higher clocks will always make any frontend and scheduling architectural deficiencies more apparent.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oct 25, 2017

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
To clarify, an update would be most likely be a follow-up to a patent examiner's questions. The reason for the 18 months of not going public with a patent is that it can take up to 2-3 years to get a patent granted. If it's granted it'll be retro-actively be valid from date of filing. But if something goes wrong and it's not granted, well you would have shown everyone your ideas publicly and not have any protections.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm curious about that expansion because that's a big space for a label. I mean if its only for something like "1TB STORAGE SONY"

it would be weird wouldn't? It reminds me of snes labels on the cartridges

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
please dont be the vita all over again.

i dont see why they cant just add an m.2 nvme slot. they barely take any space.
It needs to be custom, else how can they secure that all users have the exact same type of storage? A m.2 nvme slot would defeat the whole benefit of having the exact same storage on all consoles.
Imagine the stock one can hit eg: 5GB/s and you're SSD can only reach let's say 500mb/s. It's the Insomniac's Spiderman Technical Postmortem shitshow all over again, in which they had to spend several months optimizing the game so it could run on different HDD's with speeds lower than the stock one.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
RE: that PS5 controller, did anyone read the patent's description? Would really be surprised if it's for the controller as a whole and not for a specific function of the controller.

The controller's look and shape would relate more to an industrial design anyway. Although in some countries like the US, patents and IDs are interchangeable it seems. (I've worked for 12 years at the Canadian IP office, although in communications, not as an examiner or anything like that though)

You guys also need to keep in mind that if we're seeing this patent now, it must have been filed 1 to 3 years ago as patents are kept private for a pretty good amount of time. So that MS controller has probably been file a while ago too.
We know the patent is for the wrap around mic. There's pages of discussion about it. We also know the design is different from the ds4 patent and if all they really wanted to show was the mic, they could've just put the mic on a ds4 design.
The threadmark should take you to the start of the discussion.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
It needs to be custom, else how can they secure that all users have the exact same type of storage? A m.2 nvme slot would defeat the whole benefit of having the exact same storage on all consoles.
Imagine the stock one can hit eg: 5GB/s and you're SSD can only reach let's say 500mb/s. It's the Insomniac's Spiderman Technical Postmortem shitshow all over again, in which they had to spend several months optimizing the game so it could run on different HDD's with speeds lower than the stock one.

Exactly. I'm ok with the idea of expandable storage but am worried it means 500Gb base and worried another 500Gb means an extra $100+.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The next revision of PS5 SDKs are due before the end of the year. That would be the third one in 2019, IIRC.
Probably prototype II now sicne the Prototype I leaked. I think the early devkit started with PC parts and Vega architecture, then this Prortotype I has current RNDA architecture with low number of CUS hence the exaggerated GPU clock speed and the devkit design with too many vents. Next iteration could implement RDNA 2 tech that not only have HW RT built in but also will be surely more optimised than RDNA1 and will offer more CUs so no need for that high frequency. Everything will be fine until the findal devkit and design.

👑 Klee can you tell us if one console is greater than 11?
don't think he met his dev freidn again after and the latetr only nodded his head to indiacte that will be over 10 tFlops. That is all.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Is it normal to have this many revisions prior to a new gen?

Prorbaly next ieteration will include RDNA 2. It's not surprising. devs shoudl start developing games with that have at that current time. they must have started with GCN Vega devkits, then shifted to RDNA with custom added RT, then in preparation for next-year, they may get RDNA 2 in the final design.

Status
Not open for further replies.