• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
I'm just not discounting Microsoft's capabilities, that's all.

It's still early days, especially for them.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Since you are sure why don't you bet something on being right? What are your credentials btw? You definitely talk with the tone of an expert.

And well below the speed Sony is claiming.
I talk with the tone about what we have and that 7nm+ only gives 10-15% perf inc at best. and amd has a problem with tdp on gpus.

So with what exists nothing points to console to have something more powerfull than a 5700XT.

What u mean credentials? I prefer to believe in reality. Never console had top powerfull gpus like current gen gpus on PC. So you want me to believe that next-gen will have a equivalent of RTX 2080(since guys claim more powerfull than a 5700XT)... yeah right...

Oct 25, 2017
I talk with the tone about what we have and that 7nm+ only gives 10-15% perf inc at best. and amd has a problem with tdp on gpus.

So with what exists nothing points to console to have something more powerfull than a 5700XT.

What u mean credentials? I prefer to believe in reality. Never console had top powerfull gpus like current gen gpus on PC. So you want me to believe that next-gen will have a equivalent of RTX 2080(since guys claim more powerfull than a 5700XT)... yeah right...

You want a bet or not? Doesn't need to be a ban bet or anything. We can do an avatar bet.

Feb 26, 2018

I agree that this is too good to be true

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
More good signs for next gen-SSD prices are going down:

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB is now just $69 on Amazon:

Sony and MS can probably get these things dirt cheap.

I'll probably get 2 for some PS4s I plan on getting as gifts.
I have been thinking about the MS stance to release everything on x1 original to Scarlett and releasing games from their studios very often on Gamepass to keep the subscription model alive . Can the studio really shine technically and impress When the competition base will be ps5 ?

Already Sony studios are known for their technical prowess . Wouldn't this become even more evident next gen?

Is that why they r choosing stylized graphics to hide that ? (Ofcourse I m talking about exclusives)

I've been thinking lately how Phil talked about frames per second being a focus.

I think they might care more about that. Let's say specs still favor the PS5, that plus what you posted, it shouldn't be controversial to suggest this either.

Just like this gen, there will be pros n cons with each console.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Never console had top powerfull gpus like current gen gpus on PC. So you want me to believe that next-gen will have a equivalent of RTX 2080(since guys claim more powerfull than a 5700XT)... yeah right...
The 5700XT is not a top PC GPU now and for sure it will not be next year. Next year a 10TF rDNA 2 GPU it will probably be a mid tier PC GPU.

If we keep in mind that next year we are expecting bigger (than the 5700XT) AMD rDNA 2 GPUs and new NVIDIA Ampere 7nm GPUs it doesn't seem crazy that the consoles could have 10TF GPU.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
both Sony's APIs and MS's APIs this time will be much more iterative of this generation compared to previous gens, that is partially where the "smooth transition" is coming from, as developers can squeeze a strong level of performance from day 1 as their engines are already fairly optimized for these APIs. MS especially have their tools made for easy conversion between PC and xbox units so the transition should be easy.

however, because of this same reason, i dont see MS's APIs suddenly being some huge edge in performance, this was the argument in 2016 as well where DX12 was supposedly going to close the gap between PS4 and X1, that obviously did not happen. the tools wont be so different outside of new features, so you wont see a big performance benefit from those that the other party wont have. both have excellent tools to work with and utilize their systems, the edge will not come from the tools themselves, and neither from the ~0.5TF advantage to either side, but from the capabillities of the developers, and the abillity to combine art and tech together to something truly magnificent.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

This chip thats going in these consoles is not the exact thing of a 5700xt? which has high clocks and much higher thermal resistance? Imagine if they have a chip that has more CU's but lower clocks, they can find a balance where they may only need 180-200watt at most. Zen 2 is super low on TDP and these will be clocked lower than your off the shelf desktop cpu.

I mean look at what Polaris was, it wasn't super power efficient. Yet they had something close to that in the PRO.xbox one x and those are powered by way less than 200 watts.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
This chip thats going in these consoles is not the exact thing of a 5700xt? which has high clocks and much higher thermal resistance? Imagine if they have a chip that has more CU's but lower clocks, they can find a balance where they may only need 180-200watt at most. Zen 2 is super low on TDP and these will be clocked lower than your off the shelf desktop cpu.

I mean look at what Polaris was, it wasn't super power efficient. Yet they had something close to that in the PRO.xbox one x and those are powered by way less than 200 watts.
I agree but 580 was a mid-range gpu(usually consoles has mid-range gpus). 580 tdp is 185w and is a little bit underclocked on XboxONE X. 5700 XT is a 225 TDP gpu.

Next year gpus will be 7nm+ this kind of improvement on nodes don't give u 25% better consumption... And usually at this moment console hardwares is almost final so u don't take next-gen gpus on there. Probably something base on current gen gpus with improvements, that's how worked every gen. PS4 had a 7850 but when consoles launched AMD had their next-gen gpus on the market 260,270 and 280.

PS4 PRO had a 470 GPU underclocked. 470 is a 120w gpu and Pro is loud as fuck. Imagine a 225W or higher on a console.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree but 580 was a mid-range gpu(usually consoles has mid-range gpus). 580 tdp is 185w and is a little bit underclocked on XboxONE X. 5700 XT is a 225 TDP gpu.

Next year gpus will be 7nm+ this kind of improvement on nodes don't give u 25% better consumption... And usually at this moment console hardwares is almost final so u don't take next-gen gpus on there. Probably something base on current gen gpus with improvements, that's how worked every gen. PS4 had a 7850 but when consoles launched AMD had their next-gen gpus on the market 260,270 and 280.

PS4 PRO had a 470 GPU underclocked. 470 is a 120w gpu and Pro is loud as fuck. Imagine a 225W or higher on a console.

So you have no experise and are basically calling klee a liar? You certainly are not making a very convincing argument for your view.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Here comes the secret sauce!! Thoughts on Stadia?
Here's my thoughts on Platform as a Service Stadia. It came in white hot. What we're seeing in terms of performance of software isn't indicative of what we'll be seeing in even a few months time. The technical/engineering/streaming side is where it needs to be (practically all reviewers stated this, with minor blips and some inconsistencies depending on target device), their hard work now is in allowing devs to get the most out of their titles; driver optimisation etc. Prediction: Destiny 2 4k/60 before new season/when new season drops (I hope so for all the D2 players that bought in day 1 to have this without needing a semi-decent PC).

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
So you have no experise and are basically calling klee a liar? You certainly are not making a very convincing argument for your view.
Show me the post I called some one a liar, I think you should moderate your tone. it is a prediction thread and we are debating. Until official reveal I can believe in whatever I want and since we are on a discussion forum predicting next-gen hardware you should respect someone who disagree with your point of view.

I didn't call anyone a liar so stop your bs right now.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
TDP is, in most cases, a meaningless number as it doesn't actually say anything about the power draw, just some half-made up number about thermal cooling requirements.

Oct 25, 2017
Show me the post I called some one a liar, I think you should moderate your tone. it is a prediction thread and we are debating. Until official reveal I can believe in whatever I want and since we are on a discussion forum predicting next-gen hardware you should respect someone who disagree with your point of view.

I didn't call anyone a liar so stop your bs right now.

So now it's just a prediction? Seems to me you have said on numerous occasions that a 10TF console is impossible and basically a joke to even consider it. And not just in a this is just my opinion way. Your tone is and has been arrogant and borderline condescending.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
We still remember Albert Penello's classic post from September 2013 on that other forum and how it turned out in the end. I quoted it on the previous page.

There comes a time where you simply need to let a 6 year old post go. Penello has been on here many times and has been polite and reasonable and given Sony due praise. But if it makes feel good to cite Penello circa 2013, go right ahead...

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
TDP is, in most cases, a meaningless number as it doesn't actually say anything about the power draw, just some half-made up number about thermal cooling requirements.
power-gaming-average.png

Computer with 5700xt on avarage consume 21 more wats than rx580 (and most of users here think it would be dissapointing if nextgen consoles would have gpu on this level performance ;d )

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
So now it's just a prediction? Seems to me you have said on numerous occasions that a 10TF console is impossible and basically a joke to even consider it. And not just in a this just my opinion way. Your tone is and has been arrogant and borderline condescending.
Your tone is agressive since your first message to me and you lied saying I calling someone a liar and I never been arrogant. with what we have now I don't think is possible and always said and you disagree with me and you are trying to create bs saying I called someone a liar or that I showed arrogant, my argument is not valid, because you don't agree with me?

Oct 25, 2017
Your tone is agressive since your first message to me and you lied saying I calling someone a liar and I never been arrogant. with what we have now I don't think is possible and always said and you disagree with me and you are trying to create bs saying I called someone a liar or that I showed arrogant, my argument is not valid, because you don't agree with me?

Your point is basically been this isn't possible. How could you be gullible enough to believe it? I never said you directly called him liar, but you are saying what he is telling us isn't true. And your supporting evidence is flimsy on top of that. It definitely doesn't warrant such cockiness. It's not even about disagreeing, but carry on. I will never address you again.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Your point is basically been this isn't possible. How could you be gullible enough to believe it? I never said you directly called him liar, but you are saying what he is telling us isn't true. And your supporting evidence is flimsy on top of that. It definitely doesn't warrant such cockiness. It's not even about disagreeing, but carry on. I will never address you again.
It is in your message up there saying I called him a liar, I already reported you and you are ignored.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Is there a reason why the universal understanding are consoles having lower tdp/power draw than something more significant?
Consoles have very limited space inside the case and a water cooling solution is just too expensive, complex and space restrained. They also need to keep the power draw reasonable to avoid EU rejecting their self-imposed power "efficient gaming" initiative and imposing hard limits.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
There comes a time where you simply need to let a 6 year old post go. Penello has been on here many times and has been polite and reasonable and given Sony due praise. But if it makes feel good to cite Penello circa 2013, go right ahead...

Riiiidge Racer it's Ridge Racer Riiiiiiiiidger Racer. Battles are based on famous battles which actually took place in ancient Japan. Here comes a giant enemy crab.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I was just thinking it certainly didn't make up any difference this gen. Both have great development tools.

The opposite was actually true, for a long time at least. Sony seemed to have better tools/libs/drivers. MS's drivers, early on, were a matter of very public debate in terms of contributing to even greater differences in performance in PS4 vs XB1 games. Things improved but I'm not sure MS caught up on all fronts - perhaps partially due to a difference in approach to how high or low level the access drivers should grant.

Well it was long time ago. Give them a chance. I think they know what they are doing with Scarlett

I think it was fair enough to raise it, given the context - an appeal to MS's 'traditional software strengths'. That necessarily asks us to look back - and the Penello quote was just part of a very unfortunately public falling apart of the 'MS is strong on software, Sony is strong on hardware' narrative.

Now, MS may well be in top form on the software and hardware stack for Scarlett, so Klee is right to say we shouldn't underestimate that. But it's fair to say there is no 'traditional' pristine track record to call on here, with regard to MS and the software stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.