• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully Sony next year makes up with events as this year was lack luster. Their games were great so I m willing to give them a pass

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
―- In such a situation, in 2020, the next generation machine, the PS5, will appear, but what kind of concept is this made?

Ryan we are in the position to provide a platform, so what kind of work will be produced there will depend on the hands of the creators who make the game using the platform. Just as we are also looking forward to the first memory media AS SSD(solid state drive.This means that it uses a storage medium that is much faster to read than traditional HDDs.This is a very important moment in the game, and a moment to read.
―- I see.With the PS5, a richer game will be created against the background of high hard performance, so it is big that the loading process will be faster with the adoption of SSDs.

Ryan the other is the haptic technology and adaptive trigger that will be adopted in the new controller.Both are features that let users know about the in-game experience through their sense of touch, but this is a really exciting part.So I'm really looking forward to seeing how the game creators will use this for new games.
―Did Mr. Ryan already have a new controller?

Ryan, of course.I actually touched on the"Gran Turismo SPORT" for the test, but I was surprised by the feeling of playing differently from the current DUALSHOCK 4. It's a very promising feature.I think that you can feel the great evolution of the game experience as well as the graphics evolve from the PS4.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
the thing that i can see here as news is Jim Ryan refers to the SSD as memory (through google translate it says the SSD is used as the "memory medium" but in the quote i used yandex as generally i find it more accurate for japanese), might be like the virtual ram comment that MS made? or maybe ReRam ;)

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
The fall 2021 Spiderman rumor is very interesting. It tooks three years to make the first Spiderman and maybe the Spiderman SSD demo was some R&D for the next Spiderman on PS5. Sony will maybe have Horizon Zero Dawn 2 and Spiderman 2 first year maybe part of the reason they think they can sold more PS5 than PS4 the two first year.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
the thing that i can see here as news is Jim Ryan refers to the SSD as memory (through google translate it says the SSD is used as the "memory medium" but in the quote i used yandex as generally i find it more accurate for japanese), might be like the virtual ram comment that MS made? or maybe ReRam ;)

I think it's just translation. He just means the storage medium I think. But yes, he hones in on that as a key change for next-gen.

I think what was also interesting in this interview is what seems to be - for the first time from a senior Sony exec perhaps - a full-throated acknowledgment that the silo-ed networks of before are not viable anymore.

-In recent years, Minecraft has been deployed on PlayStation and Nintendo Hardware, and in the cloud game field, Sony and Microsoft have partnered, and the relationship between companies has changed from the past. I feel like I am.

Ryan, you are right. What we are seeing now is that all aspects of the networked world are changing. I think that the former image, each of which was closed and self-contained as a world, that was often seen as a conflict structure, has already collapsed.

--You are becoming a more fluid world.

Ryan . Everything is becoming more open. We believe that such changes are the result of our partnership with Microsoft in some areas. This is great in the sense that the industry will become more interesting, and above all, it should be welcomed in the sense that the game will become more interesting.

Quite a turnaround from even his own comments not too long ago. With a better translation, at least, that would probably be worth its own thread given the shift it is from previous.

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The fall 2021 Spiderman rumor is very interesting. It tooks three years to make the first Spiderman and maybe the Spiderman SSD demo was some R&D for the next Spiderman on PS5. Sony will maybe have Horizon Zero Dawn 2 and Spiderman 2 first year maybe part of the reason they think they can sold more PS5 than PS4 the two first year.
Rumor? Where?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Thanks.
I don't know if Imran Khan is reliable, but I can see a christmas 2021 release. Lots of works already done (traversal, part of city geometry, probably thousands of photos of New York, character models, etc.) and now a Sony's studio so focus on that.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Any game. Reduce resolution to make balance out the GPU difference. Not sure why this is hard to understand.

Ok, likely the last time I'm answering you because you seem so dead-set on a narrative that you aren't even properly reading what people are writing.

Current gen games are a bad metric for compute usage because they had to target a platform with (comparatively) pretty weak GPU compute capability. Virtually every single AAA game you can play (and measure) on a PC was build so it could run on an Xbox One.

Yes, we have other platforms with more powerful compute, no, devs are not using this extra compute power on them, with the exception of a few select cases, like Sony's first party exclusives.

Now, that may be the case in the future as well, maybe devs will never ever design games that make meaningful use of GPU compute and/or resolution-inelastic rendering techniques, like the voxel-based stuff I mentioned, pretty useful for dynamic GI. I don't know, I wouldn't want to limit them, though. And having one platform with (comparatively) much more limited GPU compute capabilities would most definitely be something that would limit them.

Even if you have a 100 TF GPU, resolution-independent processes will always be a minority of GPU time.

Also, this tells me you don't even have a proper grasp on the things being discussed here, because resolution-independent loads would much more of a problem for a lower power device than a higher power one, as when increasing power they'll take proportionally less and less of the frame time.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Look, it's clear that we can make any device work very easily. Let's give developers and players options at every price point! 10 SKUs for everyone next generation!

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I keep reading about "the 1.3Tflops baseline".
If this was really that simple, how can a 300 to 600 gflops GPU run those games supposedly running on a 1.3Tflops baseline ?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I keep reading about "the 1.3Tflops baseline".
If this was really that simple, how can a 300 to 600 gflops GPU run those games supposedly running on a 1.3Tflops baseline ?

The handful of ports developed quite a bit after the games were released and that make pretty significant compromises? TW3 handheld runs at a fraction of the resolution and still had to downgrade virtually every single effect and yank out a bunch of them completely - and that's a game that was released pretty early in the gen.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The handful of ports developed quite a bit after the games were released and that make pretty significant compromises?

No. The PC games released day and date that runs on a Radeon 530. Or even Intel HD GPUs. Now, do they run well ? It depends. The higher the result is on that "baseline" as you call it, the more leverage you have on those lower end GPUs.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Three years is the time it tooks to make the first spiderman. I will not be surprised if he can make Spiderman 2 in three years. And they were the first demo of PS5 technology. This is probably some R&D.
I expect it to release in fall 2021 myself, the first game was in full development only for 2 years, insom are hella efficient.
I just wanted to clarify that this isnt really a rumor its speculation.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
No. The PC games released day and date that runs on a Radeon 530. Or even Intel HD GPUs. Now, do they run well ? It depends. The higher the result is on that "baseline" as you call it, the more leverage you have on those lower end GPUs.

I wouldn't say it depends, they virtually never play well enough without going into almost full potato mode. By well enough I mean stable 30FPS and without looking like a blurry mess. Of course you're going to have lightweight games that can run on a smartwatch, but we both know that's not what I'm talking about.

Try running RDR2 on an Intel HD. Gonna be super pleasant.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it depends, they virtually never play well enough without going into almost full potato mode. By well enough I mean stable 30FPS and without looking like a blurry mess.

Of course you're going to have lightweight game that can run on a smartwatch, but we both know that's not what I'm talking about.

It all comes down to what the game is asking for. If on a 1.3Tflops machine (Xbox One) the game is running at 720p, yeah, no shit with half the hardware power, you get a game running worse. It's not about a baseline. It's all about "How much horsepower do you need to run the game". If your 11Tflops machine runs all its games at 4k, your 4Tflops machine should manage 1080p/900p or even 720p. So if your game is 1080p on an Xbox One, you have more leverage with half the horse power.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://youtu.be/2_wb81fbQl0

RedDead.jpg

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I expect it to release in fall 2021 myself, the first game was in full development only for 2 years, insom are hella efficient.
I just wanted to clarify that this isnt really a rumor its speculation.

Maybe I'm pessimistic but I thought they wouldnt be ready til 2022.

You know what though, as high profile as Spiderman is, I'd love for insomniac to get the time they need to make something truly breathtaking and push the sequel to its brink.

I'd love for them to be given the luxury of a Naughty Dog to go out there and make it their dream game.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
E3 2020 could have Horizon 2 (gameplay trailer) and Spider Man 2 (one more thing teaser / trailer)

And rumor the second Insomniac team work on a Ratchet and Clank. It was a PS4 game but they decided to transfer it to PS5. We can have Ratchet and Clank gameplay, Horizon 2 gameplay trailer, Spiderman 2 teaser, maybe Bluepoint game (Demon's Soul's remake?), the Housemarque AAA game (Shu visited them when he was president of SCEWWS before letting the place to Hermen Hulst) and maybe one of the Supermassive games(they said they work on PS exclusive)

Other possibilites but less plausible maybe a Studio Wushu exclusive and maybe Ready At Dawn game.

If all of this is true the first two years of PS5 exclusives will be much better than PS4.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Maybe I'm pessimistic but I thought they wouldnt be ready til 2022.

You know what though, as high profile as Spiderman is, I'd love for insomniac to get the time they need to make something truly breathtaking and push the sequel to its brink.

I'd love for them to be given the luxury of a Naughty Dog to go out there and make it their dream game.
I dont insomniac needs so much time for spidey 2 though, they got a lot of work that they can carry over, the suits are really high quality, spiderman's animations are superb, they should just expand the city, fill it with snow, add more enemies, go with an even bigger scale on the missions and improve side quests by a lot, and this is pretty much spiderman 2, it doesnt need 5 years of development time.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Well, on a 1.3Tflops machine, RDR2 runs at 864p. And well, even Xbox One X use some settings under the lowest ones on PC, which means you cant achieve complete visual parity (so you can expect worse on an Xbox One).
Saying "Try running RDR2 on an intel HD !" isn't an argument. Because there are multiple problems you might come into on that GPU. Memory bandwith for one (a console running a lower Tflops GPU would still have fast memory). And on top of that: It all depends what you're comparing to.
As I said, RDR2 have troubles running on lower than 1tflops hardware because it already has troubles running on a 1.3Tflops one. Because those 1.3Tflops hardware already runs it a 864p with framerate issues.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Another one. Screen res is 745p, internal res is 1/2 that. Everything low and disabled. And the frame rate is atrocious. On a .4TF part.

But I was told that you just need to drop the resolution.

Your comment isn't making sense on many ways:
1. It's an Intel .4TF part. Not only you cant compare flops from different vendors but that's also more than 3 times lower than Xbox One... Rated a 1.3Tflops where the game runs at 864p.
2. It's an integrated GPU, which means you're likely running into bandwith issues.
3. "Disabling everything" is moronic. Because not every settings is the same. Some have a lower performance impact yet a more meaningful visual impact. Why would you disable textures if it's not what's causing you performance issues ?

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I dont insomniac needs so much time for spidey 2 though, they got a lot of work that they can carry over, the suits are really high quality, spiderman's animations are superb, they should just expand the city, fill it with snow, add more enemies, go with an even bigger scale on the missions and improve side quests by a lot, and this is pretty much spiderman 2, it doesnt need 5 years of development time.
True. To be honest, I'm most excited about a Ratchet 2 remake aka the best Ratchet. A PS5 version will be amazing

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another one. Screen res is 745p, internal res is 1/2 that. Everything low and disabled. And the frame rate is atrocious. On a .4TF part.

But I was told that you just need to drop the resolution.
I'm tired of trying to argue that a weaker GPU will run into other bottlenecks even if you reduce resolution to a blurry mess. At this rate, I'm just going to let people believe in their unicorns

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Do you expect Microsoft not providing a camera for Scarlett ? They just bought mixer and they won't design a camera for Scarlett ? Owners of Scarlett won't be able to film themselves when they'll stream stuff on Mixer or elsewhere ? It's not happening.

They are obviously designing (probably already designed) a camera for Scarlett. They were just afraid people thought they'll redo some mandatory kinect stuff.
They already have the camera. It's called Kinect Azure. It is tiny, powered by a simple USB port. It has a Amazon-Echo level whole room microphone, 4K camera and it's other sensors (Depth, motion, IR) are twice as good as the Kinect v2.

Azure_Kinect_04-1000x667.jpg

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Excited to hear about the new features in the Dual Shock 5. I am in the minority that actually cares about this stuff.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
They already have the camera. It's called Kinect Azure. It is tiny, powered by a simple USB port. It has a Amazon-Echo level whole room microphone, 4K camera and it's other sensors (Depth, motion, IR) are twice as good as the Kinect v2.

That thing is probably way to expensive. They develope and sell a cheaper version of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.