• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
5625baf8dd0895bd698b471b

main-qimg-18e75bdd82f76a314ce70b04cbc3ad86

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
So bad that Sony and Microsoft had mid gen refreshes? Come on man. We have a game that is running 1080p, 60fps, and 4k,30fps in addition to the base model, and all it took was two years. You create a game, the engine scales....you would then debug just as any other software. The tools are getting better too.
I'm not saying it's "hard", I'm saying that it costs money and the gain from this isn't really clear considering that we're talking about adding a 1080p machine to a 4K one - as if we don't have enough 1080p consoles on the market already. The idea behind Lockheart is a weird one for sure as I have issues imagining people buying a solely 1080p console in 2022 just because it cost some 20% less than a 4K counterpart. The economics of such market situation is highly dubious and would likely lead to lower end console being neglected in QA by most parties.

We've got DF's dev sources and actual devs in this thread like @Matt, @Fafalada, @dgrdsv etc on here confirming that porting down to a low spec. console is a pain in the ass, expensive and something that nobody wants to have to be burdened with... and yet faceless layman posters are still insisting, "b-b-but mid-gen consoles, it's easy, man. I am rite!"
I'm not a dev =)

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
maybe it could work like this:

same 8 core CPU @3.4Ghz, sane 16GB-18GB GDDR6, same UHD drive, but smaller case for Lockhart, smaller fan, plays games designed for 1080p but upscales 4K (like One S and One X), LH has 4TF GPU and 500GB SSD, at $349.

anaconda then has 10ish TF GPU, bigger case, bigger fan, more materials in general, 1TB SSD, $499.

I do wonder if LH could come in below $399, which would be the whole point of a cheaper SKU holding back the gen's leap in GPU or RAM.

I think both companies will make $400-450ish devices, and will sell them for a decent loss, $399 for PS5 for sure

For a price reduction of ~13% you're getting a console with 60-67% gpu and 50% ssd reduction. And at that price it's still losing money per unit.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I always enjoyed the Shakespeare references, particularly one as fitting to this thread as:

|OT8| - Much Ado About Nothing

Oct 27, 2017
For a price reduction of ~13% you're getting a console with 60-67% gpu and 50% ssd reduction. And at that price it's still losing money per unit.
Well yeah I think it's a bad idea overall and don't want it to happen I guess I'm just trying to get used to it if it does happen lol.

If it was $299, that's 40% cheaper than a $500 Anaconda, $349 would be 30%, $399 (DOA) 20% I believe, if we're talking MSRP of Lockhart vs Anaconda (and assuming Ana is $499)

IMO I'd rather they just sell Anaconda at $399 if they're trying to reach a mass market price earlier.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
This is interesting, seems Imagination Tech is back:

Imagination Technologies Reimagines Itself With Brand New A-Series GPU Lineup.

AXT 64-2048 : 2.0 TFLOPS, 64 Gpixels and 8 TOPS of AI performance

"The highest end of these is the AXT 64-2048 which is capable of 2 trillion fp32 floating-point operations per second, rendering 64 texels/clock and computing 8 trillion operations per second for artificial intelligence applications. Apple's A12 present on the iPhones is capable of 5 trillion neural operations per second."
Screen-Shot-2019-12-03-at-9.51.56-PM-740x417.png

2TF mobile GPU...that's better then GPU in PS4!

Also this:

"Moving towards the future, Imagination has confirmed that it intends to launch new products in the upcoming years. More importantly, if our assumptions play out, then next year, Imagination Technologies might introduce GPUs that have ray tracing enabled. A strong foundation laid with the A-Series GPU, combined with ray tracing should make it very difficult for smartphone makers to ignore Imagination Technologies's products in the future."

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Well yeah I think it's a bad idea overall and don't want it to happen I guess I'm just trying to get used to it if it does happen lol.

If it was $299, that's 40% cheaper than a $500 Anaconda, $349 would be 30%, $399 (DOA) 20% I believe, if we're talking MSRP of Lockhart vs Anaconda (and assuming Ana is $499)

IMO I'd rather they just sell Anaconda at $399 if they're trying to reach a mass market price earlier.
Ah. I thought you meant ana/ps5 were both $399 that's why I said ~13%.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
It's ridiculous to think vanilla game from high end console can run on lower spec console without patch. That is if lower spec was released after high end.

Only way is, developer are informed and was already build around that lower spec to playable.

Game not going to magically self adjust to spec. If it was, it won't be a hassle for x and pro as it is now.
Why is this a foreign concept? Didn't MS show PC games running on Windows phone by simply having PC game be compiled in UWP? Didn't they say that games would scale without any input/effort from the developer?

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread 5|OT8| The Good, the Bad and the Lockhart

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Haven't checked the OT in a while. Where are we at in TFlops? Any reason not to believe Klee's "double digit" quote?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Also this:

"Moving towards the future, Imagination has confirmed that it intends to launch new products in the upcoming years. More importantly, if our assumptions play out, then next year, Imagination Technologies might introduce GPUs that have ray tracing enabled. A strong foundation laid with the A-Series GPU, combined with ray tracing should make it very difficult for smartphone makers to ignore Imagination Technologies's products in the future."
Too bad that A-series design seem to go into the opposite direction from what you'd want to see in a RT capable GPU. These 128 wide SIMDs will suffer a lot on RT code.

Feb 10, 2018
The last time we had thread name suggestions we ended up with the pathetic "nm"

Here's mine anyway haha

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread 5|OT8| My Lock"heart" will go on!

Last edited:

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Yes, I get that, but what I'm saying is that if it was possible for them to do it then why do people think that their toolkit wouldn't be able to do it on xbox only in future? Devs could target either device and game get automatically scaled up or down, COD MW devs confirmed that they didn't even run the code on X1X yet the game is working just fine with better visuals than on X1. I'm sure that MS has it working both ways.

Oct 27, 2017
Ive read RERAM could be nearly as cheap as standard NAND SLC (spell) so if Sony does include some of it, what do you guys think it will be?

1TB SSD paired with 64-128GB RERAM? Or no RERAM at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.