• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Not all discussion here is console warring, but currently it is close. It would be great to hear any bits you would like to share that wouldn't fan any flames. Or maybe just some salient points to keep in mind as we move into next gen tech.

From a systems rendering perspective, which I work on, here are some references everyone should become familiar with:

James McLaren's Tomorrow Children talk from GDC; original can't be found, summary here, for directions in realtime GI updates: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...xel_cone_tracing_in_The_Tomorrow_Children.php

Alex Evans' Dreams renderer talk from SIGGRAPH, for approaches to non-rasterization based rendering, not to mention implicit improvements in shader compiler infrastructure: https://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2015/mmalex_siggraph2015_hires_final.pdf

Sebastian Aaltonen's Claybook talk from GDC, for hybrid raytracing/rasterization, more SDFs: https://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdc2018/presentations/Aaltonen_Sebastian_GPU_Based_Clay.pdf

Ulrich Haar's GPU pipeline talk from SIGGRAPH, for new geometry pipeline approaches, the movement of scene graph traversal off the CPU, etc: https://advances.realtimerendering....siggraph2015_combined_final_footer_220dpi.pdf

Michal Drobot's IW7 tech presentation from DD, for many things, but especially the multi-resolution rendering: https://www.activision.com/cdn/research/2017_DD_Rendering_of_COD_IW.pdf

Aug 26, 2019
some more details from splitscreen podcast by jason:
  • Repeats the disinterest from developers for lockhart, says it will have significantly less ram, he has heard developers saying the GPU is basically PS4 Pro level, but the CPU and SSD should improve it beyond that, still developers dont want to be forced to work on lockhart and feel that the SKU will hamper next gen games.
  • says that he has heard of the PS5 launch games, and that they are PS5 only, will probably make an article about it in the future
  • didnt hear about what MS's games, but assume they will target xbox one, PC and Scarlett, like Halo Infinite
  • a big focus will be on accessbility, no need to think anymore about "i only have 1 hour should i go play this?" but instead gives the option of "play for 10 minutes and stop like using netflix" per his examples.
  • One last thing he said, and he isnt sure of himself and said to not take him by his word, so please dont go crazy over this and lurking journalists beware of making an article an this lol, but he said that PS5 and Anaconda are better than "graphics cards like the RTX 2080, what is currently on the market". But again, BIG grain of salt on that statement, and not nearly definitive enough to make articles on before we are repeating the previous jason post in this thread.

no that was from the article, not the podcast.

Navi is more like 30% IPC increase over polaris.
This stuff sounds threadworthy

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From a systems rendering perspective, which I work on, here are some references everyone should become familiar with:

James McLaren's Tomorrow Children talk from GDC; original can't be found, summary here, for directions in realtime GI updates: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...xel_cone_tracing_in_The_Tomorrow_Children.php

Alex Evans' Dreams renderer talk from SIGGRAPH, for approaches to non-rasterization based rendering, not to mention implicit improvements in shader compiler infrastructure: https://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2015/mmalex_siggraph2015_hires_final.pdf

Sebastian Aaltonen's Claybook talk from GDC, for hybrid raytracing/rasterization, more SDFs: https://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdc2018/presentations/Aaltonen_Sebastian_GPU_Based_Clay.pdf

Ulrich Haar's GPU pipeline talk from SIGGRAPH, for new geometry pipeline approaches, the movement of scene graph traversal off the CPU, etc: https://advances.realtimerendering....siggraph2015_combined_final_footer_220dpi.pdf

Michal Drobot's IW7 tech presentation from DD, for many things, but especially the multi-resolution rendering: https://www.activision.com/cdn/research/2017_DD_Rendering_of_COD_IW.pdf
oh bb

thank you

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if companies still design their next-gen games around the PS5. There is just no incentive to target Lockhart. Why risk releasing unimpressive games for a console that might sell just a few millions, when Sony has a history of consistently releasing incredibly popular consoles?

Microsoft tried to disrupt the market during this gen with some "clever" ideas, and it failed. Now they are trying again with Lockhart/Xcloud, and developers and gamers are already unhappy about this. Imo devs should just target PS5/Anaconda, and if the Lockhart port is shit, it's shit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This stuff sounds threadworthy
if someone makes a thread.

DO NOT add the last part about the 2080, while he did say that, he already warned "Rumor mongers" lol. please. i dont want to spread misinformation around like mad. the part about PS5 launch lineup being next gen only might be thread worthy.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if companies still design their next-gen games around the PS5. There is just no incentive to target Lockhart. Why risk releasing unimpressive games for a console that might sell just a few millions, when Sony has a history of consistently releasing incredibly popular consoles?

Microsoft tried to disrupt the market during this gen with some "clever" ideas, and it failed. Now they are trying again with Lockhart/Xcloud, and developers and gamers are already unhappy about this. Imo devs should just target PS5/Anaconda, and if the Lockhart port is shit, it's shit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is the way.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Do you expect most of the games support HDR next gen? I just discovered it thanks to my new TV and it is absolutely stunning for me.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why are we concerned with lockheart (or whatever) holding things back? Isn't it going to have a similar ssd and cpu? It's just going to be the roughly the same shit with less lines of resolution (lesser GPU). It'll be fine, they know what they are doing.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

That would be something :) paying so much money for a shitty product. I dont think MS would allow it

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

Lockhart will probs sell the most, PS5 has the brand name, but if Lockhart is $250 & can play the next gen COD & FIFA, then it will do very well.

Feb 26, 2018
He was talking about the flops.
Tom Warren got his information from a spec sheet that said 4tf(same way he got the 10tf for anaconda), Tom was certainly not given a relative performance comparison to the Pro. That 4tf is for a Navi GPU, as such that makes it RDNA. I'll eat my hat if it is not at least a 4tf RDNA gpu.
If i remember well: 4TF is also the number Richard Leadbetter from DF mentioned he heard from sources in the industry about Lockhart.That was months ago, around E3 i think.
Hm. Confusing.
Anyway hope you are right fellas. 4TF RDNA would be better ofc.

Oct 25, 2017
Why are we concerned with lockheart (or whatever) holding things back? Isn't it going to have the same or similar ssd and cpu? It's just going to be the same shit with less lines of resolution (lesser GPU). It'll be fine, they know what they are doing.
Nah, it will be more reduced than that in order to get it cheaper.

There is a summary of what Jason mentioned on the last page and it includes significantly reduced RAM, for example.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tom Warren got his information from a spec sheet that said 4tf(same way he got the 10tf for anaconda), Tom was certainly not given a relative performance comparison to the Pro. That 4tf is for a Navi GPU, as such that makes it RDNA. I'll eat my hat if it is not at least a 4tf RDNA gpu.
The article said "more than 10 teraflops". Going by what we heard from Tom Warren and Richard Leadbetter at around E3 it seems the original specs were 4 and 12 RDNA. I'm expecting at least 11Tf rDNA from anaconda with Anaconda being the base console.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I said this yesterday on the "Assuming the Lockhart leak is true, will it lower the baseline of next gen games?" thread :

If it´s succesful ? Yes !
If not ? Then Lockhart owners prepare to receive really poor versions of multiplataform games.
What this means for the next gen Xbox 1P games ? Their games won´t be impressive as Sony ones but will have better IQ on Scarlett.

Also a point to keep in mind is the rumour that Xbox dev kits are not on devs hands at the moment while PS5 seems to be could be a reason on why some developers may not be happy with the Lockhart SKU coming back, after all they are already working with the PS5 specs and now they have to tune it down because of Lockhart ones.
It´s early to tell because if they can get Lockhart to blow outta of the gate they can have a hit but at the same time if next gen begins like this one with Sony dominating it MS will have to carry the Lockhart anchor until the end of the generation, and it will be a very heavy one.
At the end of the day one thing I´m sure : if Lockhart is true MS 1P games won´t come close to what Sony delivers on PS5 with their studios, unless they pull out really shit ports on it.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, it will be more reduced than that in order to get it cheaper.

There is a summary of what Jason mentioned on the last page and it includes significantly reduced RAM, for example.
Well, I'm not a dev and I could be oversimplifying things but I would speculate the RAM reduction would be fine too if it's mostly being put into use for graphics, maybe 1440p level vs 4K level texture fidelity? Might not effect broader game design decisions so much.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
In one of Zhuge's post last year he mentioned that there were unannounced PS4 exclusives in development that may have been transitioned to cross-gen or even PS5 exclusive. So this would sort of confirm the latter
I had a hunch about that, but PS4 still has a bunch of big games coming, including TLOU2, GOT, FF7R. There will be cross-gen versions of these I have no doubt, but also some nice PS5 exclusives.

The unannounced ones, I would imagine were converted to PS5-only early enough in the development cycle for it not to matter.

Oct 25, 2017

That is one of the two ways I see it going.

Lock is base and we get up scaled versions of held back games.

or

PS5/Snek is base and Lock gets some pretty rough ports.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say the brushing off of developer complaints about Lockhart is weird to me. Is there a point where forum posters decide to stay in their line or nah?

Lockhart will probs sell the most, PS5 has the brand name, but if Lockhart is $250 & can play the next gen COD & FIFA, then it will do very well.
Can Lockhart outsell PS5 and Anaconda put together? That's still going to be the biggest segment of the market, especially in the early days where the less price conscious buyers want the best system.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
A huge long post to not really say anything that we haven't already heard from many users on Era. Nobody is arguing how this affects Xbox First Party games as they've already been hampered by having to support more than one platform (PC), this is about third party games that are developed exclusively for next-gen consoles. With Lockhart, there is now a lower baseline due to the stupid requirement to support Lockhart.

Support for Lockhart should be Microsoft's problem, not developers'.
I am probably late, but this is exactly what Klobrille's post adressed. They don't think that Lockhart hampers anything or that the lower baseline hinders a true next gen experience for Anaconda. I think we will still get our 4k60 next gen games while Lockhart is 1080p60.

Feb 26, 2018
Games like GoT, TLOU2 and FF7 gonna be ps4/ps5. You know stuff that they announced long go. But after that everything probably gonna be ps5 exclusive. Which is nice

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
There is just no incentive to target Lockhart. Why risk releasing unimpressive games for a console that might sell just a few millions, when Sony has a history of consistently releasing incredibly popular consoles?

By this rationale, there's no incentive to target 80% of the PC market at the Lockhart spec, either. Devs want a high baseline, and they'll get that with a Ryzen2 CPU and a PCIE4 SSD. Also, what are those 'clever' ideas that failed?

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm not a dev and I could be oversimplifying things but I would speculate the RAM reduction would be fine too if it's mostly being put into use for graphics, maybe 1440p level vs 4K level texture fidelity? Might not effect broader game design decisions so much.
In combination with the other downgrades, I don't know about that.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

Thank you.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Valet Jay

Mar 20, 2018
Let's just say Sony makes a PS5 game. Best in class in image quality, HDR, ridiculous AA, and 4K (or even 4K CB at the very least). Everything that we want and expect.

Okay.
Now, what GPU will you need to scale that down to 1080p without any. Other. Compromises?

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
The focus of cloud/streaming feels like it will be as popular as the lead up to VR has been. It is such a niche, even more so because in most cases just a lesser experience. Sure it's neat, but thinking we are getting the Netflix of games next gen is laughable with how bad the Stadia launch has been. Sorry if i'm being too cynical.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
Let's just say Sony makes a PS5 game. Best in class in image quality, HDR, ridiculous AA, and 4K (or even 4K CB at the very least). Everything that we want and expect.

Okay.
Now, what GPU will you need to scale that down to 1080p without any. Other. Compromises?
roughly 0.5x the PS5 GPU
edit: assuming 4K cb even less if ps5 is 4k native

Status
Not open for further replies.