• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
There is a huge difference between turning the existing graphic settings to 11 on a game designed around 5 GB of GDDR5 of a base PS3 -

AND making a game with a baseline with nearly double the RAM, an order magnitude better CPU, and a GPU with features that will probably outdo some top level cards today.

This is false equivalence by you.
This needs to be a threadmark. Games will look better especially during those 'in-engine' reveals next gen and a lot of people will scream 'see, no Lockhart effect!' but we won't know how much better they could actually look if Lockhart wasn't the baseline until we see the 2nd wave of PS5 exclusives

Last edited:

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing the PS5 reveal event will probably be very late March or April.
I think it could be anytime before GDC. Even late January.

That was a really fun time.
sonytraincopymmumi.jpg

:D

Oct 25, 2017
Jan/Feb for PS Meeting.

Get the hype started early and carry it through the year.

PS Meeting -> SoP -> E3 -> SoP -> GC/PGW -> TGS -> PSX

We deserve that after 2019 being so quiet. :P

Last edited:

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
I still don't get it. People who own consoles and actively buy and play games on them don't just stop when a new generation comes along. If they aren't ready or are not compelled to upgrade they keep playing and buying games on their current system.
If games start coming out exclusively for next-gen people still on old hw will see fewer games.

This comes with the risk they'll stop their subscription, which is the last thing you want.
That's why companies relying on services work to ensure as smooth a transition as possible.

Sony thinks it can move people with BC, good hw and games (AFAIK).
MS thinks also releasing stop-gap hardware and cross-gen software will work better.

Last edited:

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
What are the chances for ps meeting having gameplay reveal like ps4 reveal?
Hope next gen it's not about most become open world. Expecting something new and exciting.

OP
OP
Mecha Meister

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
And Gravity Rush 3 will not be announced in any of those

Don't do this lol

No. I said before that I'd hop in and try and clarify things if I saw parts leak. I'm very cautious of burning sources when the dev kits haven't been widely distributed yet.

Hey, I know you don't want to say too much because of concern for your sources, but could you say anything about the PS5 without burning them? If not, no worries. I don't want to get anyone in trouble! :(

Someone approached me and mentioned something about it having 16 GB of GDDR6 memory. I sat on it because I wasn't sure about it.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I'm guessing the PS5 reveal event will probably be very late March or April. I know everybody thinks February based upon the last time. But consider this is something they obviously would planned ahead for. And consider they were planning to release TLOU2 in February.

It would make no sense at all if they had originally planned to unveil the PS5 within 1-2 weeks of launching maybe their biggest PS4 game ever. Because they would be having review events, previews, probably a review embargo a week or so before launch to drum up more hype and other events. Doing this and the PS5 unveil at the same time is nonsensical when they have plenty of time to do it before of after the launch.

Revealing in Late March-April regardless of whether TLOU2 launched in Feb or May would still give breathing room where all their marketing can still go to either event without overshadowing anything.
Playstation meeting will be february the latest because sony wants to do it alongside destination playstation (their private retailer event)
They also want to reveal it early enough so third parties will be able to confirm they are making next gen games for their financial reports.

Feb 10, 2018
There is a huge difference between turning the existing graphic settings to 11 on a game designed around 5 GB of GDDR5 of a base PS3 -

AND making a game with a baseline with nearly double the RAM, an order magnitude better CPU, and a GPU with features that will probably outdo some top level cards today.

This is false equivalence by you.

Not true rise of the tomb raider proves otherwise.
It's not a huge difference between that game and uncharted 4.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God the PS Meeting thread was fantastic, from the countless bizarre gifs, everyone freaking out at 8 GDDR5 (where Cerny had to repeat that yes, it was GDDR5) and that start of the Killzone Shadowfall trailer.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think we're getting the announcement of the PlayStation Meeting very early in January. The #25YearsOfPlay seems to be leading up to that.

The announcement for the 2013 Playstation Meeting was in January 31st with the actual event on February 20th.

If they announce early it will probably be at the end of january or beginning of february.

Feb 10, 2018
Rise of the tombraider on PC you can crank everything and have better textures, and image quality. But uncharted beats it in animation in their custscenes, and their character design/mo-cap.

Yes, uncharted 4 is the better looking game, I never said it wasn't.
I said it's not a huge difference.
I believe if a dev wanted to they could make a cross gen scarlett/PS5 version favour very well to a next gen exclusive.
I actually think it will be better then when it happened this gen with games such as far cry 4 and shadow of mordor, because apart from ssd + cpu, next gen will be the closest ever to a previous gen hardware wise. They share a very similar gpu feature set (dx12), they only have 3x the ram, they both x86.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I believe if a dev wanted to they could make a cross gen scarlett/PS5 version favour very well to a next gen exclusive.
I actually think it will be better then when it happened this gen with games such as far cry 4 and shadow of mordor, because apart from ssd + cpu, next gen will be the closest ever to a previous gen hardware wise. They share a very similar gpu feature set (dx12), they only have 3x the ram, they both x86.

And for thirdparty that probably will be a thing for a while. I see there being either a PS5 version or a patch where you download the PS5 version of FF7:R like what they did when this gen started. You could buy Call of duty ghosts on ps3, then upgrade to ps4 version. I could see you put your PS4 disc in your PS5, pay a upgrade fee if you see the value in a PS5 version over playing PS4 version in BC mode.

I will totally do that if the changes are significant, like a big boost in stable frames, maybe a bump in render resolution things like that.

Would not be surprised by that.

Feb 10, 2018
And for thirdparty that probably will be a thing for a while. I see there being either a PS5 version or a patch where you download the PS5 version of FF7:R like what they did when this gen started. You could buy Call of duty ghosts on ps3, then upgrade to ps4 version. I could see you put your PS4 disc in your PS5, pay a upgrade fee if you see the value in a PS5 version over playing PS4 version in BC mode.

I will totally do that if the changes are significant, like a big boost in stable frames, maybe a bump in render resolution things like that.

Would not be surprised by that.

I'm personally more excited for gameplay innovations the CPU + ssd will bring, things like bigger + more detailed worlds, more life like npc's and more of them.
The first year I think from a pure eye candy perspective games won't look that much better then the best of this gen.

Theres probably a reason why ms+Sony are focusing on loading times and how games "feel"

Oct 25, 2017

You underestimate how much of anchor those shit CPUs are.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Screen Looker I don't think that you will find a lot of potential Lockhart buyers in this thread.

Many here were really disappointed about the potential/rumored next gen consoles with 8TF GPU.

Kostas, you buying Lockhart at launch?

Not only a response to you because I saw this quote quite often recently!

If you would measure every member about his contribution that would be some effort. I mean you can easily apply the 80/20 rule on that while the lower number is actually "contribution".

Colbert, you buying Lockhart at launch?

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not only a response to you because I saw this quote quite often recently!

If you would measure every member about his contribution that would be some effort. I mean you can easily apply the 80/20 rule on that while the lower number is actually "contribution".

You take all the fun out of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.