• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
You don't even need to think about GCN FLOPS, just framerate. Just look at the Digital Foundry video above. They tested the 5700XT, and it was 2x as powerful as Xbox One X in Wolfenstein, and with a little OC 2x as powerful in Hitman 2.
mental-gymnastics-gif-6.gif

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright show's over. absolutely genius move by Phil to go up there and reveal the mother fucking console along with an awe inspiring and jaw dropping first next gen reveal. i have been saying this for a while now... you need to be the first one to show what next gen can do and MS missed their boat at e3, but nailed the landing here. game looked a gen ahead of anything else on the show. it made ghosts look bad at first. thankfully it looked almost next gen during the night scenes.

regardless, this is about next gen and its safe to say MS went there and stole sony's thunder. no idea what sony was thinking attaching their name to that gearbox game, but it backfired big time. whats important though is that phil understood the importance of going first. he understood that gamers needed to see proof that games will be designed on the higher spec'ed machine first and foremost. he might not end up setting the benchmark for visuals, but he set the standard that everyone will need to follow going forward. i have been super critical of this guy, and its a relief to see him finally get it.

and my god that console looks absolutely crazy and i love it. i am tired of everything looking like a vcr. there is no way it sits in my tv stand but im not laying it down either. time to upgrade.

where does sony go from here? i think they will be fine. this is early days and its a marathon but the momentum is with ms and the pressure will be on sony to show their console sooner rather than later. feb will be too late. as a sony fan, i am glad phil has put sony on notice. he aint fucking around. its time for sony to get a move on.

p.s to all those halo infinite fans saying it looked next gen. please, this is what next gen is supposed to look like. that shit always infuriated me more than the 8 tflops guys.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
where does sony go from here? i think they will be fine. this is early days and its a marathon but the momentum is with ms and the pressure will be on sony to show their console sooner rather than later. feb will be too late. as a sony fan, i am glad phil has put sony on notice. he aint fucking around. its time for sony to get a move on.
With Sony's history with first party, I don't think we have to worry about anything.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Don't see why Feb would be to late .
Truth is one of the most important aspect of these consoles will be announce late which is price .
Then is when the marketing machine and everything going to be in full effect for both consoles.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Alright show's over. absolutely genius move by Phil to go up there and reveal the mother fucking console along with an awe inspiring and jaw dropping first next gen reveal. i have been saying this for a while now... you need to be the first one to show what next gen can do and MS missed their boat at e3, but nailed the landing here. game looked a gen ahead of anything else on the show. it made ghosts look bad at first. thankfully it looked almost next gen during the night scenes.

regardless, this is about next gen and its safe to say MS went there and stole sony's thunder. no idea what sony was thinking attaching their name to that gearbox game, but it backfired big time. whats important though is that phil understood the importance of going first. he understood that gamers needed to see proof that games will be designed on the higher spec'ed machine first and foremost. he might not end up setting the benchmark for visuals, but he set the standard that everyone will need to follow going forward. i have been super critical of this guy, and its a relief to see him finally get it.

and my god that console looks absolutely crazy and i love it. i am tired of everything looking like a vcr. there is no way it sits in my tv stand but im not laying it down either. time to upgrade.

Sony should not have halfassed it.

That was the hardcore first impression. They will be fine. But I would have held off and showed a proper showcase at a later date

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Gearbox game to reveal as your first next gen game was a bold move for sure. They're not exactly graphics powerhouse house.

Sony saving the good stuff for the PS Meeting in Feb.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
No one will care that Godfall was the first PS5 game shown 2 weeks from now much less 10-11 months from now when the consoles actually launch.

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019

p.s to all those halo infinite fans saying it looked next gen. please, this is what next gen is supposed to look like. that shit always infuriated me more than the 8 tflops guys.
here is a small godfall gameplay

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No one will care that Godfall was the first PS5 game shown 2 weeks from now much less 10-11 months from now when the consoles actually launch.

exactly , that was a poor showing in Microsoft part. Sony still has the momentum just becuase we know we will get more in Feb by E3 Microsoft is going to be lost in the water again, they should have revealed something closer to the ps event in feb.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I agree that Godfall didn't look as nice as Hellblade, but as far as I could tell Godfall was 60fps and Hellblade 30? Could show where each system is headed? Sony pushing for 60 and Microsoft pushing for graphics?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
That gif looks like it features some ray tracing? Looks at reflections in the reflective ground.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that Godfall didn't look as nice as Hellblade, but as far as I could tell Godfall was 60fps and Hellblade 30? Could show where each system is headed? Sony pushing for 60 and Microsoft pushing for graphics?

i have no idea what the framerate for either is, especially hellbalde since we havent seen gameplay, but phil and MS have been talking up 60 fps quite a bit. i'd imagine they are pushing that, without dictating it, to developers. sony probably the same.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
regardless, this is about next gen and its safe to say MS went there and stole sony's thunder.
It kind of sucks for Sony because they have 3 more giant games they still need to hype for the current gen systems, where Microsoft can basically just abandon their current gen and start showing all their stuff for next holiday already.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017

You're way overthinking this. One game to show at the reveal here compared to what Sony will do. Show off the box and like 30-60 mins of next gen games all at once at reveal.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
PSLS: What unique benefits are you getting by developing Godfall on next-generation hardware? Why make it a PS5 exclusive rather than a cross-gen release with PS4?
Keith Lee: The exceptionally powerful SSD on the PlayStation 5 offers a new level of detail for each individual object as well as seamless loading of our expansiveness world. Our combat is kinesthetic in nature, so the new controller's "adaptive triggers" and haptic feedback will make moment-to-moment combat feel exhilarating and visceral.
Read more at https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...play-keith-lee-interview/#BxukIfUg4GePlvSB.99

Finally some talk about the SSD hope we also get more info on the controler feed back .

Feb 10, 2018

I agree with 90% of what you say here, but you say Got night scenes almost look next gen and then you criticise ppl for saying halo infinite looks next gen.
I think both look a world apart from that in engine hellblade 2 trailer.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Xbox Series X had a good coming out party, even if it is just the first glimpse. The fact that there are now three Microsoft-published titles that intrigue me makes me very curious about other announcements coming next next year (Hellblade 2, of course, but also Gears Tactics and the new Ori since I don't own an Xbox One.) I was always sold on the next PlayStation but it would be exciting to have an Xbox I enjoy again as well.

I have to admit I also chuckled looking back on Phil's tweet about bringing photos of his Scarlett along for Hermen to see. I'd say he delivered on that promise. 😉

The ball is very much in your court, Sony, and I realize you're not in a rush or anything.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
To me both reveal were bad. Unimpressive game for PS5 (i mean, if i tell you they show a PS5 game and nobody guesses before they tell you after the trailer, that's a problem..) and for XBSX it's a cut scene in engine. Next gen will have to avoid that. We've been used to crazy cut scenes, they mean nothing in the end. You can do a cut scene that's 5 times better than a game. You can show whatever you want, you can use smock and mirrors..
Problem is, in people's mind, last generation reached that "cgi quality" for cut scenes, even if that wasn't true. So now even if you show something superior technically, people will feel like it's more of the same. Actually i think except for the tech hardcore fans, there is something weird seeing a cgi quality cut scene now. It's like you're thinking "well yeah it could have been a video then, what's the point" even when it's an insane achievement to run it realtime.
Or you really really need to make it super dynamic and connected to the gameplay directly.

But i really think movie like scenes in real time are not going to help those consoles for the crowd.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
*wise fwom your gwave*

OMG where are all the Xbox insider evangelicals to clarify all this

NO it's not GCN flops

YES it's Navi flops

Xbox Series X performance is actually slightly ABOVE 12(Navi) TFs

Xbox (Anaconda) Series X eats monsters (Scorpio) for breakfast

The GCN architecture is HISTORY, y'all. MS/Sony only talk in terms of RDNA now

Ay Carumba

Now I'm actually leaving for sure.

I will return to talk about Next gen again after the PS5 reveal.

Buh-bye

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If MS showing Halo didn't hurt them, why the hell would a third party title hurt Sony? When they revealed their games people will be there.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Yep they will show a first party game later on and that is all people will talk about when it comes to them .
If the rumour of demon soul remake true and they show it tons of hardcore fans will just talk about that .
Godfall will just be a blimp that will be forgotten .

Sony should care and should have done better. You are right though, it will soon be forgotten. Just like those cardboard spectators in Forza 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.