• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Creating a silo around opinions that reinforce your own is exactly what's wrong with the world today. Like folks who have separate news stations for different "realities". The truth is the truth folks. This thread should be PBS. Report the facts and make some inferences. Discuss differences and come to a most likely outcome. Instead, it's just accusations and pearl clutching and it's embarrassing. We don't need different threads. We need y'all to grow up.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
ReRAM is too expensive. It wont be ReRAM.

It will be what Chris 1515 and Gofreak talked about, which is already reaaally good.

If it's the solution in their patent then that'll still be amazing, but I'm not quite sure if it's that amazing to warrant this amount of secrecy.

I'll continue to hold out hope for a reram megaton. Don't get me wrong, if there's no reram and they're using the setup in that patent I'll still be very pleased, I'm just craving that exotic special sauce feeling.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
DXmvaZO.jpg

:D :D mockup image

Those are cool but the sideways one fan should be pointed in the other direction as the disc drive would be upside one if it's pointed left. This shouldn't matter if you're digital only but there are still some disc people around >.<. I always thought they should change the power button so that you can change the direction of it so it works in either the horizontal or vertical position.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Unverified new member of old site that's most likely a troll. But let's take his posts into consideration since he posted some nice sounding numbers.

Come on.

Might as well crosspost vfxveteran because he is vetted.
I think we should just stop using anything from the old site. Not only for obvious reasons but this forum there is more or less unmoderated and even if there is someone vetted, it might not mean anything. A forum that generated cboat and where people who were mods there back then are now active on there again.
Only my 2 cents, though.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's the solution in their patent then that'll still be amazing, but I'm not quite sure if it's that amazing to warrant this amount of secrecy.

I'll continue to hold out hope for a reram megaton. Don't get me wrong, if there's no reram and they're using the setup in that patent I'll still be very pleased, I'm just craving that exotic special sauce feeling.
The amount of secrecy is normal, in fact, Sony going out and putting 2 articles on Wired a year before Playstation 5 was supposed to be released is unexpected. It's good to remember that the launch is still around 10+ months away. If they still keep it a secret around mid year, that's when it will be different.

Dont think of an SSD component to be the megaton, but the customisations they do with the SSD to be it, and the numbers it put out.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Memory is not the only thing that is secret. We know nothing specific as of yet from PS5, there are no hard numbers for anything right now.
To me the same goes to XSX, too.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The amount of secrecy is normal, in fact, Sony going out and putting 2 articles on Wired a year before Playstation 5 was supposed to be released is unexpected. It's good to remember that the launch is still around 10+ months away. If they still keep it a secret around mid year, that's when it will be different.

Dont think of an SSD component to be the megaton, but the customisations they do with the SSD to be it, and the numbers it put out.
Memory is not the only thing that is secret. We know nothing specific as of yet from PS5, there are no hard numbers for anything right now.
To me the same goes to XSX, too.

What struck me as interesting is that even Klee seems in the dark on this subject despite all the info he has access to. That leads me to think something is up on that front.

Very curious if ReRAM will be mentioned at CES at all if it's coming to market in 2020. Maybe a cache in their high end Alpha cameras?

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What struck me as interesting is that even Klee seems in the dark on this subject despite all the info he has access to. That leads me to think something is up on that front.

Very curious if ReRAM will be mentioned at CES at all if it's coming to market in 2020. Maybe a cache in their high end Alpha cameras?
memory for servers more likely. NAND makes more sense now.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think he has access to it in that way. Didn't he say that he hasn't access to all the very specific data?
To me whatever Sony did with the SSD is to become secret sauce which is ok if the level of customization actually leads to an improvement that really makes a difference.
There is still way too much left in the dark for both consoles, though.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Just woke up and had to read from page 104 to 115.

That was quite a ride. People really needs to chill out a bit

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I don't know why they would be secretive about the memory, MS mentioned what they are using with the first Scarlet announcement, like what reason they wouldn't want people to know what they are using? Watch it be similar to MS after all this.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I'm not sure you are been serious. BUT he is PR 'ing his product.
The actual spec for both consoles is not released, anyone can say anything to boost marketing.
We will get real picture at least after E3 to compare notes.

From post 4459:

It doesn't necessarily mean that at all. Phil's job is to sell Xbox's, and it's his job to say whatever makes his product look appealing without outright lying. The fact he never said XSX absolutely IS the performance leader could mean he just doesn't know for sure, or it could mean it's slower. No way to know until both are revealed.

So you both agree with me that specs aren't final and aren't widely known?

because this inconsistency is laughable.

One cannot take months-old rumored devkit specs from 'insiders' as final numbers and yet still push the theory that the head of Xbox is in the dark about the specs of his competitor's box.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a Prospero reference besides the Gizmodo article, which seems to have been debunked in certain aspects, like the camera bit?

I can't find any Komachi notes about Prospero, but it's late and my google-fu may be broken.

Jun 23, 2019
So you both agree with me that specs aren't final and aren't widely known?

because this inconsistency is laughable.

One cannot take months-old rumored devkit specs from 'insiders' as final numbers and yet still push the theory that the head of Xbox is in the dark about the specs of his competitor's box.

Your assumption is based off of the notion that Phil knows exactly what PS5 has in it and is going to act accordingly. He doesn't. If he did, you think he wouldn't be shouting from the high heavens that the Series X is the strongest console in the world? It's because he doesn't know. All he can do is hype up his own product and let the chips fall.

And no, nobody is taking 'months-old rumored specs' as gospel. We are discussing them because that is what we have to go on. If anything changes, the discussion will reflect that. People really need to stop hyperventilating any time the discussion veers in one way or the other. Both consoles are going to be monsters, so why the hostility?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
no one knows the numbers. Seriously. Show me where any insiders here talked about the numbers.

I misspoke about the 'numbers' bit. I should have said 'relative power levels'. Happy now?

Feel free to address the rest of the post. Do I need to reference where people claimed design specs were set in stone and are well known to lots of people in the industry?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Your assumption is based off of the notion that Phil knows exactly what PS5 has in it and is going to act accordingly. He doesn't. If he did, you think he wouldn't be shouting from the high heavens that the Series X is the strongest console in the world? It's because he doesn't know. All he can do is hype up his own product and let the chips fall.

And no, nobody is taking 'months-old rumored specs' as gospel. We are discussing them because that is what we have to go on. If anything changes, the discussion will reflect that. People really need to stop hyperventilating any time the discussion veers in one way or the other. Both consoles are going to be monsters, so why the hostility?

Let's keep this discussion honest, please. Feel free to point out ANYTHING in any of my posts in this thread that can be construed as 'hostility'.

Jun 23, 2019
Let's keep this discussion honest, please. Feel free to point out ANYTHING in any of my posts in this thread that can be construed as 'hostility'.

lol I wasn't even framing that at you and speaking in generality, but looking back at your comments, yeah you do come across as a tad aggressive. We're all just discussing video game consoles here, having a conversation.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
For xbox one
At 3:17 you can clearly see drive as ST500LM012, if you look this drive up
Seagate-Momentus-SpinPoint-M8-500-GB-Benign-Blog1-300x261.png
With average of 85MB/s.

They could possibly be looking at minimum speed or something imposed by Microsoft internally though. But drive itself is over 2x faster than what DF states as throughput.

I could see where they reserve portion of hdd bandwidth for OS and other background tasks.

So if less than 50% of drive speed is available to games now, will that be the same case for next gen drives? And if so is 40x the speed available to games or 40x the speed of a drive inside?

The interface on current gen console limit the HDD speed.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
You know, i have a feeling that Microsoft will fight for every tflop. XSX form factor allows it and it's far most important for Xbox because of all the talk so far. And it's not a big deal if they really have the most powerful console. It matters only for fanboys and so called insiders (very annoying persons with no real contribution to the thread).

My predictions (pure guess) are:

1. Sony will aim for lower price and most important, smaller box. I don't see PS5 in a tower like XSX. This won't sell in Japan at all. Even in the west, may be only hardcore gamers will buy XSX. Price predictions are 449 for PS5 and 499 for XSX.
2. I predict 10% raw power difference. XSX CPU will has 10% higher clocks and 10% higher tflops (12.3 vs 11).
3. Performance difference will be less than 10% in standard mode, because of higher clocks of PS5.
4. RT will be better on XSX because of higher number of CUs. But all depends on Sony RT implementation.
5. Both will have same amount of memory
6. PS5 will have different memory setup
7. PS5 SSD in the end might be the faster one.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I am wondering two things:

How they'll handle upgrades, if they are free, if they just release a PS5/XBSX version, if the HW does it from itself

and

How expandable storage will work, if at all.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I misspoke about the 'numbers' bit. I should have said 'relative power levels'. Happy now?

Feel free to address the rest of the post. Do I need to reference where people claimed design specs were set in stone and are well known to lots of people in the industry?
why should I address the rest of the post? I only correct you in that particular paragraph because it was wrong. Don't think every reply is picking a fight with you.

Calm down bb

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
""Our goal has always been to build the most powerful console we can, and I think we're there. We like leading in power and performance and I feel like we're going to be there again."
Yes, thank you for this.

As you can see plainly, he does not state that Xbox is more powerful than ps5. What he says inferrs that he does not know, or they may be close enough any power gap between them may be bridged.

If I tell you "I feel AMD will outsell Nvidia this quarter" it's night and day difference to the statement "AMD will outsell Nvidia this quarter" and has a much different meaning.

So again, misinformation unless we hear something concrete from a legit source.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony will aim for lower price and most important, smaller box. I don't see PS5 in a tower like XSX. This won't sell in Japan at all. Even in the west, may be only hardcore gamers will buy XSX. Price predictions are 449 for PS5 and 499 for XSX.
It depends, is footprint the problem in Japan or how large the console is in regard? It's something that's hard to say. Although while saying that, I also dont see PS5 being a tower (although I wish it does, because I love the Series X design a lot.)

Also yeah, I'm expecting MS to fight to get Series X to be as powerful as possible. I wouldnt even be surprised if they ended up around the high end of 12 teraflops by launch.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It depends, is footprint the problem in Japan or how large the console is in regard? It's something that's hard to say. Although while saying that, I also dont see PS5 being a tower (although I wish it does, because I love the Series X design a lot.)

Also yeah, I'm expecting MS to fight to get Series X to be as powerful as possible. I wouldnt even be surprised if they ended up around the high end of 12 teraflops by launch.

I mean, going by that Wired Reporter he said that the "low speed" version PS5 he used was in a silver tower enclosure.

And with some people in here being so selective in what they want to believe and what not, Ps5 having a tower design is not impossible, even with the patents and pics of the devkit probably pointing the other direction.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
So what is our stance at GPU clockspeeds (for both consoles)?
I'm asking because I've just read an article about a 5500xt comfortable reaching 2.0 GHz with air cooling. (comfortable as in the author says even 2.2 is possible, but not recommended)

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
lol I wasn't even framing that at you and speaking in generality, but looking back at your comments, yeah you do come across as a tad aggressive. We're all just discussing video game consoles here, having a conversation.

Fair enough.
I guess if I were to clarify where I'm coming from
A while ago, I mentioned that we ought not to take these stories about relative power difference as gospel since - in my opinion - specs are still being nailed down since launch was 1.3 years away from when these rumors started showing up.
the common response I got was that specs were nailed down, and devkits were near final and all developers have been briefed on final target specs.

So all I'm saying is that it isn't consistent to believe that final specs have been shared and are an open secret and yet imagine that Spencer can only make a guess about the capabilities of his competitors console.

at this point, I really don't care about which console is more powerful, since both will be monsters. We should know definitively by next year, either way.

I'll take the feedback that I'm beginning to sound a tad bit aggressive and take it down a notch.

Deleted member 61179

Banned
Nov 7, 2019
Wow, one could think that time heals wounds.
7 years have almost passed but some want to have their 'revenge'.
And when the day comes, hopefully they realize what fools they have been.
Don't identify yourself with things, that are one match away from beeing turned into dust.

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, thank you for this.

As you can see plainly, he does not state that Xbox is more powerful than ps5. What he says inferrs that he does not know, or they may be close enough any power gap between them may be bridged.

If I tell you "I feel AMD will outsell Nvidia this quarter" it's night and day difference to the statement "AMD will outsell Nvidia this quarter" and has a much different meaning.

So again, misinformation unless we hear something concrete from a legit source.

Phil Spencer believes Xbox Series X will lead in power and performance, just like they currently do with Xbox One X. He may end up wrong, but it doesn't get more direct than that.

He is showcasing confidence that what Xbox built will be more powerful than what Sony has built with PS5. He didn't need to mention PS5. What he said was clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.