• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
People need to recognize what the argument is. The main argument from me and other is the following:
Given all the information we have regarding current and foreseeable technology, It is (nearly) impossible to deliver a 12Tflops on the power profile of what we have seen from every console released so far. A console aiming for such specs would need too be significantly bigger and/or more expensive than even the 360/Ps3. We personally believe that MS/Sony will not release such a console and, considering the architectural improvements 10tflops of Navi would be a nice generational jump from current consoles.​

While on, the other hand, some argument boils down to:

10tflops sounds low to me. The consoles must be +12flops because 12 is a bigger number than 10, that's what current high end PC parts deliver and I believe, contrary to the historic evidence, the XB4/PS5 is going to have high end PC power. Also, it will have better ray tracing than current $1.3K GPUs, high end CPU and superfast HDD better than anything on PC. All of this is possible for $399 because Cerny/Phil are frigging geniuses and will leave Nvidia/Intel/AMD PC division technology in the dust!​

Last edited:

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's a safe assumption that next gen we won't be seeing similar power/capability disparities like we have this gen: at launch with PS4 and X1, and for mid-gen with Pro and X1X. In these cases it's nearly unanimous which is the more capable platform. I expect next gen to be more varied.

Right now, I predict it going something like this:
CPU: Series X > PS5 (5-10% difference)
GPU: Series X > PS5 (5-15% difference)
Total RAM: Series X > or = PS5
Bandwidth: Series X = PS5 (10% or less)
SSD: PS5 > Series X (up to 2x faster)
RT: Series X > PS5
Price: Series X > or = PS5 (Series X at $500, PS5 at $500 or possibly lower)

I think results of game comparisons will vary depending on the game and the goal of the devs. I predict we may see small advantages in CPU and GPU on the Series X, yet the PS5 may have a massive advantage in the SSD. It will be interesting to see how things play out.
"should be" ? That's terrible wording, it will be.
That part is the title of DF's article.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
We are a week out from the Xbox Series X reveal where they have had a lot of attention on the power of the console and talk around it, including the article from Digital Foundry today. While it would seem unlikely that Sony would issue any type of formal/public statement relative to PS5 power, it is at least a little bit interesting that nothing has been floated as anonymous sources to their friends at various gaming sites and such to simply get a message across such as "those around Sony remain confident that they will end up with the most powerful next gen console". Of course some will no doubt think that they are just waiting to double down and one up on power at the full review possibly in February as rumored, so I guess we will see on this :)
Nothing is interesting about it, the reveal will happen as they have it planned and MS doing something should have nothing to do with changing theirs.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
The most mpressive is not the 12 Tflops but to have the console as silent as the Xbox One X. I hope if Sony is in the same range of power like it looks like by the rumor spread by journalists they will do as much effort as the last PS4 Pro revision because if it is not the case, the noise will reach an awful level.

49916460-15461377562554858_origin.jpg

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's 12TF and Richard Leadbetter confirms this in his article via his source.

That's great news then and with the PS5 being similar or better we're going to be in for a treat no matter which console you pick up next year.

It's always been correct

It's hard to cut through what is legit info with the different rumours and speculation, seems we can put the XSX TF number to bed, now we just need the rest of the deets to drop! :)

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So what is our stance at GPU clockspeeds (for both consoles)?
I'm asking because I've just read an article about a 5500xt comfortable reaching 2.0 GHz with air cooling. (comfortable as in the author says even 2.2 is possible, but not recommended)

Air cooled eh? Could my earlier random joke of a passively cooled PS5 be on the table? 😀

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I think it's a safe assumption that next gen we won't be seeing similar power/capability disparities like we have this gen: at launch with PS4 and X1, and for mid-gen with Pro and X1X. In these cases it's nearly unanimous which is the more capable platform. I expect next gen to be more varied.

I think results of game comparisons will vary depending on the game and the goal of the devs. I predict we may see small advantages in CPU and GPU on the Series X, yet the PS5 may have a massive advantage in the SSD. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

So much went into this generation when it came to checkerboard rendering. Going by history, developers will simply use this, or have dynamic resolution to keep frame rates steady.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

The likelihood that X is more powerful across the board and the same price as PS5, or vice versa, is simply wishful thinking. Which are what those estimates are based on.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People need to recognize what the argument is. The main argument from me and other is the following:

Given all the information we have regarding current and foreseeable technology, It is (nearly) impossible to deliver a 12Tflops on the power profile of what we have seen from every console released so far. A console aiming for such specs would need too be significantly bigger and/or more expensive than even the 360/Ps3. We personally believe that MS/Sony will not release such a console and, considering the architectural improvements 10tflops of Navi would be a nice generational jump from current consoles.

While on, the other hand some argument boils down to:

10tflops sounds low to me. The consoles must be +12flops because 12 is a bigger number than 10, that's what current high end PC parts deliver and I believe, contrary to the historic evidence, the XB4/PS5 is going to have high end PC power. Also, it will have better ray tracing than current 1.3K GPUs, high end CPU and superfast HDD better than anything on PC. All of this is possible for $399 because Cerny/Phil are frigging geniuses and will leave Nvidia/Intel/AMD PC division technology in the dust!
this is a completely disingenuous representation of the discussion here.

it was never impossible to deliver a 12 tflops console for 200+w which is where ps3 originally came in at. a few more watts here and there and you have a 12 tflosp gpu in 2020.

this entire discourse has been aggravating from the start. it was never impossible. it was never unrealistic. just beyond the imagination of people who continued to look at vega cards to base next gen predictions then moved on to the 5700xt. knowing full well the next gen consoles wouldnt be using those gpus.

and now team thermals and team unrealistic is out in full force rewriting history. what a load of shit.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The most mpressive is not the 12 Tflops but to have the console as silent as the Xbox One X. I hope if Sony is in the same range of power like it looks like by the rumor spread by journalists they will do as much effort as the last PS4 Pro revision because if it is not the case, the noise will reach an awful level.
I think Sony is well aware about the challenges ahead regarding noise levels if I look at the dev kit design.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017

Well, for his defense it's quite hard to differentiate Phil and DF statements. They are very similar.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
this is a completely disingenuous representation of the discussion here.

it was never impossible to deliver a 12 tflops console for 200+w which is where ps3 originally came in at. a few more watts here and there and you have a 12 tflosp gpu in 2020.

this entire discourse has been aggravating from the start. it was never impossible. it was never unrealistic. just beyond the imagination of people who continued to look at vega cards to base next gen predictions then moved on to the 5700xt. knowing full well the next gen consoles wouldnt be using those gpus.

and now team thermals and team unrealistic is out in full force rewriting history. what a load of shit.
Even the DF article that some of the posters here are using as definitive evidence of pwnage to Colbert, me and other says that the XBSX power consumption should be closer to 300w.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017

There wasn't much effort. Slower, quieter fan with adjusted fan curves. It also ran a few degrees hotter. Let's hope they do a bit more for those noise sensitive people out there.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
We are a week out from the Xbox Series X reveal where they have had a lot of attention on the power of the console and talk around it, including the article from Digital Foundry today. While it would seem unlikely that Sony would issue any type of formal/public statement relative to PS5 power, it is at least a little bit interesting that nothing has been floated as anonymous sources to their friends at various gaming sites and such to simply get a message across such as "those around Sony remain confident that they will end up with the most powerful next gen console". Of course some will no doubt think that they are just waiting to double down and one up on power at the full review possibly in February as rumored, so I guess we will see on this :)
To this point... has such a statement or leak or whatever ever been necessary or needed. I don't know why you think an of what you have just said matters the way you seem to think it does, sony doesn't have to say a word or lift a finger. If they are more powerful or not, they don't have to say anything. February is right around the corner.

And even more important, something that you seem to be ignoring, even MS has been tactfully ambiguous about how they talk up this whole power thing too. I mean they literally had a tweet saying "most powerful XBOX ever" or something to that effect.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
So much went into this generation when it came to checkerboard rendering. Going by history, developers will simply use this, or have dynamic resolution to keep frame rates steady.
I hope something like the temporal reconstruction and dynamic resolution scaling seen in Gears 5 becomes the standard next gen. Really great tech.
The likelihood that X is more powerful across the board and the same price as PS5, or vice versa, is simply wishful thinking. Which are what those estimates are based on.
I'm predicting the opposite of that. Overall I don't think there will always be a clear cut "winner." Small advantages on one side, vs a massive one on the other, with the rest being fairly equal. Results will vary by game and developer.

MrAlderson

Apr 19, 2018

Where are you getting this information on the ssd comparison

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Even the DF article that some of the posters here are using as definitive evidence of pwnage to Colbert, me and other says that the XBSX power consumption should be closer to 300w.
What's funny is that months ago I had an "argument" with a certain poster here who was spitting the usual kinda nonsense about what is possible and what isn't based on every console that has come before. And I kept telling him that this whole notion that consoles need to be under 200W needs to go out the window.

I only wish when certain posters are shown to be most likely wrong they put as much gusto into admitting their wrongs as they do into arguing about being right.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*starts Googling what the hell memory paging is*

Hmmm, interesting.

*strokes chin still not fully understanding what memory paging is*

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Memory setup is intriguing.I also think both will have 16GB GDDR6 ,Sony with classic 256 bit bus but what about Series X? People say that Scarlett video from E3 means 320 bit bus, what do you make of that?

And would 256 bit bandwith be enough this time for next gen APU?
I think 16 gigs is just fine for next-gen considering very fast SSD, so i'm not worried about that at all. I'm curious about bandwidth tho :)
We do "know" the following:
- 320-bit bus (according to the E3 CGI).
- A mix of 1GB and 2GB GDDR6 14Gbps (according to the E3 CGI).
- 16GB in total, 13GB for developers and 3GB for OS (according to Windows Central)

That info gives us an idea of what to expect (if the info is correct of course):
- 10GB at 560GB/s.
- 6GB at 336GB/s.

My guess is that MS assumes that because 3GB is dedicated to the OS and ~3GB of RAM will be used for non-VRAM use (just like games on PC are using a few GB of the system memory) then it's OK that 6GB is running slower, it's much faster than DDR4 after all which would have been more than fast enough for OS and game memory.

STech

Sep 24, 2018

yeah, those rumours sounds like if Sony has said: put one of these good SSD and the rest complétate it with random components...

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's funny is that months ago I had an "argument" with a certain poster here who was spitting the usual kinda nonsense about what is possible and what isn't based on every console that has come before. And I kept telling him that this whole notion that consoles need to be under 200W needs to go out the window.

I only wish when certain posters are shown to be most likely wrong they put as much gusto into admitting their wrongs as they do into arguing about being right.
Richard actually describes how the current climate is different than last gen.
PS4 and Xbox One launched in an era where the future of the console itself was in doubt and where the vast investments from the platform holders seen in the PS360 generation could not be repeated. After a punishing, prolonged generation, both console vendors delivered relatively conservative designs with clear and obvious compromises in place. All of the signs seen so far with Series X point to a return to the kind of swagger we saw with the reveals of PS3 and Xbox 360 with a genuine desire to push the state of the art.

we have been saying this same thing forever. $399 consoles. 8 tflops GPUs. every prediction is based on a single gen ignoring all the circumstances that got us there. both console makers were going to push each other on specs. both of them. one of them is bound to come out on top but 8 tflops was always a joke.
What Richard said has nothing to do with your mischaracterization the 1+ year old arguments in this thread. your post was in bad faith. period.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017

Wrong on what part exactly? I personally don't believe that MS and Sony (especially Sony) would be willing to repeat a 360/PS3 gen where each lost billions in a war of attrition when they were very successful (specially Sony) on this current gen with a nice balanced system. And the 360/PS3 were 200w systems. Could I be wrong on that? Yes. I think that, particularly MS, has a chance of be willing to lost billions again in the battle of the living room.

Now, on that a system with power profile of an XBX not being able to have high-end PC power? I don't think I will be wrong on that.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I'm going through the Halo series for the first time(Mission 10 on Halo 2 currently)

Do you think next gen Halo will look as good as the Halo 2 Anniversary cutscenes?
That would be amazing. 😱

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isnt that virtual ram?

This is what my search brought back:
In computer operating systems, paging is a memory management scheme by which a computer stores and retrieves data from secondary storage [a] for use in main memory. In this scheme, the operating system retrieves data from secondary storage in same-size blocks called pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.