• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Again, no.

The both have hardware RT,something that Rdna1 doesnt have, so both are using next gen rdna.

Who says that PS5 can't have some type of hardware RT and yet still not be more of a complete RDNA2/"next generation RDNA" part? These are custom SOCs that will be made of whatever is chosen during the design and development process.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Who says that PS5 can't have some type of hardware RT and yet still not be more of a complete RDNA2/"next generation RDNA" part? These are custom SOCs that will be made of whatever is chosen during the design and development process.

This is like when people were saying Scarlett is using Vega instead of Navi.

It's nonsense.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that there is at least a chance here that the Xbox Series X is based around more of a true RDNA2 (or "next generation RDNA") setup than the PS5, which may be Navi RDNA with some select features pulled forward from the follow on just like when things were brought from Vega forward. The confidence that Xbox has expressed in the Series X could be because they are expecting that additional TBD performance improvement per flop that comes from RDNA2 above even the GCN/RDNA known improvement. I think that we will hear more at CES if there is something to this, and it would also help to explain some the fact that Xbox was a little further behind the dev kit situation and yet not behind on their own schedule as discussed.
both sony and ms are getting the same exact gpu features with some custom shit put in by their engineers. the best you can hope for is more CUs if MS offered to pay more for a bigger chip.

MS's tier 2 vrs solution should be better so any tflops advantage sony might have can be mitigated by that. but both should be on the same arch.

This is like when people were saying Scarlett is using Vega instead of Navi.

It's nonsense.

lets not forget the arcturus rumors floating around before rdna was revealed. PS5 was supposed to be GCN and Scarlett was arcturus or the true next gen gpu lol. this is just a continuation of that dream.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone can say almost anything in a speculation thread.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Its not just RDNA1 or RDNA2 - its a completely different node folks. You get one or the other and then a mix of features. RDNA 2 is on 7nm+ which is incompatible with 7nm designs. I would be shocked if Sony comes in an entire node behind launching at the same time.

Its not like PS Pro vs 1X - there was a year of difference there. These two consoles will be launching in likely the same month. There will be no difference in node.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really? I thought the whole sony/navi thing was 100% FUD?

The power of next gen has been with us this whole time!
I dont think so. I did think it could be wrong, but I dont think it does anymore.

Jason Evangelho

Also, this article came out before 5700 came into the picture from Usman, how much from it is proven right?

Where I got the code ID for Ariel

iMmrXvJ.png

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Navi was co-designed by AMD and Sony?

No way Xbox gets the better tech then and it also lines up with all the rumours and rumblings we've been hearing since E3.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Haven't checked up on this thread in a few days. Is there anything new or all we still expecting XSX to be at 12tf while still jumping around from 8tf to 14tf for the PS5?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Looks like we'll just have to wait on the PlayStation Reveal event. We getting crazy in here with the PS5 info lmfao. There is a YouTuber who used ERA as a reference saying PS5 is 13.3tflops.

lol

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Why would Sony work so closely with AMD, essentially funding R&D to the point where we had rumors that NAVI was being developed for Sony (LOL) to then turn around and have MS use a 2nd gen of the same technology? It just doesn't add up. Sony and MS will be on the same node.

HBM is a AMD thing. So if they made some kind of deal to use HBM for other things within their company such as AI/DATACENTERS. That would make sense for some close R&D. Not necessarily exclusive in chip design, but maybe in memory delivery for the system including the GPU.

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
The estimate seems to be based on preference and perceived balance. I don't think being stronger in one aspect precludes being stronger in others. Until we get a few more details, I don't think there is much to speculate on, particularly on the PS5. A lot of baseless assumptions being made.

I was just going on the notion that it seems with every leak the only edge the XSX has over the PS5 is the CPU, it does not make since that The PS5 would be leading in all avenues considering how much they are putting into their SSD tech

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
my prediction
ps5:399$ between 9 to 10.5 tf, 16g ddr6, cpu 8/16 at 3.2, 1tb ssd, i think sony is going to try again with 399$ with later a ps5 pro
Ms Xbox Series x 499$ between 10.5, to 12tf. 16g ddr6, cpu.8/16 at 3.4 , 1tb ssd too,
Xbox series s 249$, between 4 to 5 tf, 12 gig ddr6, cpu 8/16 at 2.8, 1tb ssd

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I stumbled upon this tweet from Komachi which says Ariel has a 3.6ghz clock speed for its CPU. I thought it was supposed to be 3.2ghz? It's quite confusing! Yes it's old, but all the rumours and speculation have been centered around a 3.2ghz clock speed. Why was this one different?

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think that Sony working with AMD is so bad; it probably means that it starts with Sony while Xbox was busy with Xbox One X, and then branches off.

Also 50-50 on pointing it out, because I'm sure there are people thinking it's either a misterxmedia level theory or a deluded fan's bias.

but yeah, that WCCFtech guy hasn't been wrong so far, as well as the other stuff, so I'm sorry if some think this is a way to downplay or demean Xbox Series X or anything.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Navi 12 has the same amount of CUs as the Navi 10, very weird.
also you wish MS would have used Arcturus now ;p (/s)

Still no access to the Navi 2x GPUs.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a ridiculous rumor not even sure how it started. Sounds like some mister x media shit , sony and ms both add input for their specific separate semi custom navi designs
reported by forbes.

Speaking to industry sources this week under conditions of anonymity, I've learned that the PS5 will use both AMD's Zen and Navi graphics architectures. What isn't clear is whether the PS5 will incorporate a beefy SoC (system on a chip) or use separate Ryzen and Navi-based components.

Which brings us to, in my eyes, the more interesting revelation. According to my sources, Navi isn't just inside the Sony PS5; it was created for Sony. The vast majority of AMD and Sony's Navi collaboration took place while Raja Koduri -- Radeon Technologies Group boss and chief architect -- was at AMD.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only loser in the whole AMD Sony thing is Raja Koduri. Sony and MS both get a GPU with ray tracing out next year.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

Navi 12 has the same amount of CUs as the Navi 10, very weird.
also you wish MS would have used Arcturus now ;p (/s)

Still no access to the Navi 2x GPUs.

Yes I still think NAVI 12 is now on 7nm+. Same CU, lower clocks, higher perf (~+30%) over a 5700XT. What else could possibly explain that?

RIP this post :| can't read.

Last edited:

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. told you guys to not bother. we are already on thin ice. lets not bring banned sites into this.

As for klee's comments. we need to drill deeper.

13.3 tflops = not even close.
PS5 > XeS = > 12 tflops
> 12 but not even close to 13.3 tflops = 14 tflops confirmed.

Checkmate.

14 tflops
1+4 = 5
PS5

Doubly confirmed.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

This article by Usman claims its 32CUs, at the same clocks as the navi 10, which means they are targeting performance of 75% of the navi 10, which begs the question, why is rogame claiming its 40CU, is it perhaps a cut down navi 10 under a different name?
Ok, thank you! I was thinking I was going crazy. Not that I am not. going. crazy, but nevermind, yes.

So we have conflicting reports. Here we see a 32 CU vs a 40 CU part report. I had mistakenly read that it had fewer CU with lower clock and better perf that the 5500XT (5700XT). So thanks for clearing up that confusion.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

This article by Usman claims its 32CUs, at the same clocks as the navi 10, which means they are targeting performance of 75% of the navi 10, which begs the question, why is rogame claiming its 40CU, is it perhaps a cut down navi 10 under a different name?

Can't be binned Navi 10 if it has 192 bit bus.

Scheme-1.jpg

Also the above image is misleading. They can't have two unbalanced shader engines like that by disabling an entire shader array afaik.

My guess 5600xt will be
1. 32CUs(32-36 total), 64 ROPS, 192 bit bus.
2. 32CUs(40 total), 64 ROPS, 256 bit bus with mixed density GDDR6.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stumbled upon this tweet from Komachi which says Ariel has a 3.6ghz clock speed for its CPU. I thought it was supposed to be 3.2ghz? It's quite confusing! Yes it's old, but all the rumours and speculation have been centered around a 3.2ghz clock speed. Why was this one different?

No idea, maybe they decided that they'd sacrifice the clockspeed of the CPU for something else for Gonzalo. Cost related, or otherwise.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Just want to calibrate expectations based on last gen.

When the PS4 / XB1 launched the top of the line AMD gpu was the 290x at ~5.6 teraflops.

XB1 was 23.3% of that
PS4 was 32.9% of that.

When the PS5 / Xsx launches, I expect the top of the line AMD GPU to be 16.4 TF.

This time around we're getting 56%-75% of the top of the line AMD GPU. Applied retroactively it would have been a 3.1TF, and 4.2TF back in 2013. MisterXMedia would have died happily overfapping.

The Lockhart SKU that is so maligned here is actually in line with what the XB1 / PS4 were in 2013.

23.3% of 16.4TF is 3.8TF
32.9% of 16.4TF is 5.4TF

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
I dont think that Sony working with AMD is so bad; it probably means that it starts with Sony while Xbox was busy with Xbox One X, and then branches off.

Also 50-50 on pointing it out, because I'm sure there are people thinking it's either a misterxmedia level theory or a deluded fan's bias.

but yeah, that WCCFtech guy hasn't been wrong so far, as well as the other stuff, so I'm sorry if some think this is a way to downplay or demean Xbox Series X or anything.

Where in that article says it, that Sony was working with AMD? He only says, that Sony wants a GPU by 2020 so AMD will work on releasing Navi in that timeframe.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Just want to calibrate expectations based on last gen.

When the PS4 / XB1 launched the top of the line AMD gpu was the 290x at ~5.6 teraflops.

XB1 was 23.3% of that
PS4 was 32.9% of that.

When the PS5 / Xsx launches, I expect the top of the line AMD GPU to be 16.4 TF.

This time around we're getting 56%-75% of the top of the line AMD GPU. Applied retroactively it would have been a 3.1TF, and 4.2TF back in 2013. MisterXMedia would have died happily overfapping.

The Lockhart SKU that is so maligned here is actually in line with what the XB1 / PS4 were in 2013.

23.3% of 16.4TF is 3.8TF
32.9% of 16.4TF is 5.4TF
Good post, there will be earthquake in pc games requirements in late 2020/early 2021

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
But how many pc players will have 3080ti, 0.1% ?

Yeap, but RTX 3060 will delivery 2080S perf for 349-399

I believe in 70% improv from Turing to Ampere, first nvidia 7nm(just this jump could bring 50% plus new arch enhancements)

What I expect from Nvidia Ampere

RTX 3060 11,5 TFLOPS
RTX 3070 14 TFLOPS
RTX 2080 17-18 TFLOPS
RTX 3080 TI 22-23 TFLOPS

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Yeap, but RTX 3060 will delivery 2080S perf for 349-399

I believe in 70% improv from Turing to Ampere, first nvidia 7nm(just this jump could bring 50% plus new arch enhancements)

What I expect from Nvidia Ampere

RTX 3060 11,5 TFLOPS
RTX 3070 14 TFLOPS
RTX 2080 17-18 TFLOPS
RTX 3080 TI 22-23 TFLOPS
still new cards to buy, most pc gamers with current machines will have to adjust

Status
Not open for further replies.