• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
So you're saying 2019 is still in the game. Got it!

17 days left.

giphy.gif

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Phil told me the Series X is actually FP8 so it's really a 36TF console. I don't see Sony matching that. Microsoft has a trillion dollars (Australian) in the bank and they can afford to buy anyone. Even Sony.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Because 12 point something doesn't have the same marketing ring as "Double the power"

Double the power also sounds a lot better than "after our calculations, it comes out to about double the power".
You know what sounds even better - OVER DOUBLE the power!

He looked like he was sweating when he was explaining it.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brings me to this question I ask to some of you. Do you distrust an insider because you think they dont have a clue,

or because they didnt say what you want to hear.

A few of you really seem to lean to the latter.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Brings me to this question I ask to some of you. Do you distrust an insider because you think they dont have a clue,

Because it seems very unlikely and I hate having high expectations only to be let down.

Check out this trailer! It's IN-ENGINE BOYS!
...(probably too soon).

Phil said it quite clearly to me, it's going to be twice as powerful...not 2-3x the power. Forget TFlops.

If these next-gen consoles were closer to 2.5-3x in real-world performance as an x1x then we would be basically skipping half a gen! It would be a massive celebration.

For me, there is no PS5 vs XSX vs PC, we will all be moving forward together but we're asking too much based on what AMD has shown so far.

Last edited:

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
TFLOPS are most basically measuring compute power which GCN was a beast at, RDNA has toned down the compute but increased in other areas, that's why a 10 TFLOP 5700 XT beats a 12.5 TFLOP Vega 64, the 5700 XT tends to be clocked almost 500mhz higher.
The GCN TFLOPS has been a point of argument for a long time, people claiming the Vega 64 beats the 1080 Ti & so on, it's not a surprise the shitposting comes to Consoles to.

Interesting, so RDNA is basically more efficient and more potent, but less TFLOPs? Or is it more TFLOPs?

Or is it just moot and no one really knows for sure, lol.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is a reason I like Klobrille hmqgg and Matt. Come in with clear information, interact a bit, go along and wait and see how it all pans out. Same thing I like with tomwarren and Brad Sams.

If you believe in your information, put out the numbers and let time prove you right or wrong. I have seen the numbers but won't disclose them......better off keeping that shit to yourself. This has always been my personal opinion when it comes to next gen game threads.
You don't like Klee just because he testified about the PS5 devkit being seen as more powerful from his contacts ?

I knew that worst than warrior could exist : pilgrims, henchmen, evangelists and sandwich-men.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Take it easy bros. they way they said twice as pwoerful as XB O OX is safe claim, because if he said 2.5 more pwoerful (thanks to RDNA) then most people would call him a liar if they see XB OX with 6 tflops and compare it to XB SX with 12 Tflops. They won't understand that RDNA is more efficient. They just look at raw numbers.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Are you really going to act like he knows nothing? He had outdated info about one thing but all the other things he was right....but sure lets act that doesn't count.
The goalposts sure keep moving. People just coming to terms that the boxes will be very similar, and it will be hard to console war. They don't want to believe the truth. Everything Klee has said has planned out mostly, along with Jason has been backing up some things.

ngl, I'm tired of repeating myself to people who keep asking "Which is stronger" and "why should we believe x"

read the damn thread and you'll find out

Nov 11, 2017
Brings me to this question I ask to some of you. Do you distrust an insider because you think they dont have a clue
Personally I lose trust in an insider when they become vague and add useless information that can easily hedge whatever way. Same with the post canceled Lockhart insiders " oh that's been canceled since dec" well why didn't anyone say anything in dec?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Did someone say 2019????

Reading my mind.....looking back on all the OT to now its been wild.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Interesting, so RDNA is basically more efficient and more potent, but less TFLOPs? Or is it more TFLOPs?

Or is it just moot and no one really knows for sure, lol.
"a bit more than 12 RDNA TFLOPS" which is what we have heard about the SX, is like 16-17 GCN TFLOPS, maybe even more. I wouldn't be surprised if Phil just said it's 3x faster than XBX at that point, this is why there is still speculation.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I lose trust in an insider when they become vague and add useless information that can easily hedge whatever way. Same with the post canceled Lockhart insiders " oh that's been canceled since dec" well why didn't anyone say anything ?
Then we need to lose trust in Tom, Brad, and a few others. They are insiders, they have sources. Maybe the sources hid it from them because it's too important to leak.

This happens.

and good now I'm having PTSD flashbacks of this season's transfer window for Manchester United.

(It was a joke in the first sentence by the way, they were just told something else)

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

You hit the nail on the head. Confirmation bias 101 here, a lot of people will only seek out info that confirms Xbox is better point blank, and don't want to hear otherwise.

or they'll do mental gymnastics "but why should I believe x"

like cmon folks, almost everyone agrees they will be very similar. Very frustrating that people don't read this thread

Nov 11, 2017
Then we need to lose trust in Tom, Brad, and a few others. They are insiders, they have sources. Maybe the sources hid it from them because it's too important to leak.
None of them said they knew since december , then came out after the fact to say no duh I knew that but didn't bring it up. All of them provided fluid open info that can change

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Microsoft from what is advertising Game Pass is not focused on PS4 owners and they shouldn't be. They should focus on the other users, the Gen Z and Millennial users who use Netflix etc and are mobile and are not Console users. Having XCloud support Game Pass and having XCloud on PC, Android IOS and eventually, even Smart TVs and Switch is something Microsoft could have the massive success that Sony likely will never have, especially with Microsoft's pretty well-established presence.

Do you think Sony will be able to convince Samsung to preinstall its applications on Samsung Device? No, likely never will and historically Sony has lacked in establishing partnerships with other companies and gettng PSNow off the ground will be no different.

Regarding Sony, that was Sony at its peak, where they were an innovative company. But in the 2000s the Sony suffered and the innovation died with it. Everything they have released, cameras, TVs, Consoles etc aren't innovative products, they all have been conservative and PS5 will likely follow that conservative nature.
The acoustic surface TV's were pretty innovative. Sounds great too

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019

When they utilize the nostradamus playbook of..... make a ton of insanely vague predictions(masked as insider info) and all along the way hedge at every chance you get all under the assumption that (and likely so) nobody will go back to take the time to hold said person accountable for all their predictions(insider info).

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
There's probably also a reason Mr Phil doesn't come out and flat out assert power dominance.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of them said they knew since december , then came out after the fact to say no duh
From what I know even Tom Warren said that it COULD be subject to change. Reminded people of a Windows tablet that was cancelled week(s) before being released. Did Klobrille or anyone else said that they know it was still in MS' plans but just didnt tell us?

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
We have now entered the FEAR OF KLEEGAMEFAN portion of our programming.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Microsoft from what is advertising Game Pass is not focused on PS4 owners and they shouldn't be. They should focus on the other users, the Gen Z and Millennial users who use Netflix etc and are mobile and are not Console users. Having XCloud support Game Pass and having XCloud on PC, Android IOS and eventually, even Smart TVs and Switch is something Microsoft could have the massive success that Sony likely will never have, especially with Microsoft's pretty well-established presence.

Do you think Sony will be able to convince Samsung to preinstall its applications on Samsung Device? No, likely never will and historically Sony has lacked in establishing partnerships with other companies and gettng PSNow off the ground will be no different.

Regarding Sony, that was Sony at its peak, where they were an innovative company. But in the 2000s the Sony suffered and the innovation died with it. Everything they have released, cameras, TVs, Consoles etc aren't innovative products, they all have been conservative and PS5 will likely follow that conservative nature.

I don't see any reason why PS Now won't be on a huge variety of devices in the not too distant future. We should expect it on console, PC, Android, iOS, TVs, Blu-ray players and other misc devices eventually. The Azure move will afford them the infrastructure to expand to a wide variety of devices and a far higher volume of users.

As for Samsung, PS Now was previously on Samsung TVs, I see no reason why they couldn't negotiate to put it back there once their expansion is complete.

Sony will also be able to toss in a free trial of the service whenever they sell a TV, Blu-ray player or phone so that's a potential way to market to millions more people.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm done with all the petty shots being taken in this thread. Really childish.

I might come back when the consoles have their own threads.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

Competition got better in the hardware business. Korean companies, Chinese companies and at home, Toshiba and this is something that affected a lot of players in Europe and in the US.

God no. All 4 has left hints. Sometimes numbers, sometimes less. A lot like Klee.

The only difference is that if you trust them judging from their portfolio of comments or articles. Which is why, we trust them. They might get a few things wrong (which happens) but they've proven that they have sources. Which I do trust them too.

Brings me again, to Klee. I'm familiar with his work, thus I can trust that he has a source. If he's wrong then well, this is his big test. It also haven't stopped me from developing my own speculation.
Who said that both have hardware accelerated ray tracing when people were here debating how Mark Cerny did not disclose it? It was clear, concise, straight to the point by Matt, and all the silly squabbling stopped, then moved to something else.

Who disclosed that Microsoft was acquiring Playground Games on Reddit? Clear concise, straight to the point. And then a really easy hint about Obsidian that was followed by numerous debate as to how they were a shell of the company. This was Klobrille. This information was then follwed up by Shreier who was the first journalist to put his neck on the line.

Who came in and gave solid hints about ambitions of Microsoft to have the better performing next gen console? My man was hounded out of this place even after he talked about some of the tech that was to be used in these consoles. This was hmqgg.

Brad Sams and Tom Warren..........no need to talk about this.

If you have something to say based on the power of the consoles, come out with the information or hold your peace. This is why I also love Shreier and Zhuge: and to Shreier's benefit, he stated that he is not technically good to know how different things interact and how they apply to power.

All this I know this, but wont say it just never lies well with me. And that is a very personal view point. Same reason I really didn't like what Komachi was posting either.

There is something that these have, a reputation. It takes balls to come out talking about information that is not in the wild, and having the balls to say that I know this is the case.
You don't like Klee just because he testified about the PS5 devkit being seen as more powerful from his contacts ?

I knew that worst than warrior could exist : pilgrims, henchmen, evangelists and sandwich-men.
What on earth are you talking about?

I have no problem with him, or any insider for that matter. I think he is a gentleman, always debates in good faith. I am simply of the opinion that if you have something you want to share, then be clear about it. If it is numbers, post them.......simple. That is a personal taste, and I have stated so.

If you are not in a position to do so because they could compromise your source, then shut the hell up until such a time when you are in position to share that information.

Maybe I have been in a position where I follow some of the best journalists when it comes to sports, or investigative journalism.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Has to be frustrating for Sony fans not knowing anything while MS continues to lay their cards on the table. If Sony would just provide some info to their fans it would help alleviate so much angst folks keep feeling.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty jazzed by the idea that next gen should be comparable to my current PC rig.

I have an RTX 2070, and upgrading my living room device to something on-par with that for only $500 seems like such a solid investment. Also, that small form factor is mighty impressive. I can't stop thinking about the Series X over here.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Another thing - if AMD can just add more compute units at lower clocks to reach higher performance, why did they have nothing to compete with high-end nvidia gpu's last time? They literally had nothing, Nvidia was the only choice for the most expensive (profitable) parts.

RDNA 2.0 needs to be magic sauce or these consoles are going to break the sound barrier.

Aug 26, 2019
I actually don't think Tom Warren is an insider. I think MS "leaks" stuff through him. Dude was invited this year to tour MS's new office lmao

Nov 11, 2017
From what I know even Tom Warren said that it COULD be subject to change. Reminded people of a Windows tablet that was cancelled week(s) before being released. Did Klobrille or anyone else said that they know it was still in MS' plans but just didnt tell us?
I'm discussing the ORIGINAL cancellation where we had a thread full of people stating that lockhart was cancelled 6 months before Tom Warren discover so. If everyone knew why didn't they say? I find that corny

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
There is a reason I like Klobrille hmqgg and Matt. Come in with clear information, interact a bit, go along and wait and see how it all pans out. Same thing I like with tomwarren and Brad Sams.

If you believe in your information, put out the numbers and let time prove you right or wrong. I have seen the numbers but won't disclose them......better off keeping that shit to yourself. This has always been my personal opinion when it comes to next gen game threads.

This is so weak. This thread has somehow gotten more dumb and less entertaining as more information comes out.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I actually don't think Tom Warren is an insider. I think MS "leaks" stuff through him. Dude was invited this year to tour MS's new office lmao

I don't think Panos Panay wanting to rip his head off during an interview says that at all. He's a senior editor at a large tech website where he's the lead MS writer. He does get some exclusive looks at things and writes up articles for that kind of stuff but he has also developed a nice book on contacts throughout MS that he's able to tap to learn all kinds of things that MS isn't planning on making public for a while.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Another thing - if AMD can just add more compute units at lower clocks to reach higher performance, why did they have nothing to compete with high-end nvidia gpu's last time? They literally had nothing, Nvidia was the only choice for the most expensive (profitable) parts.

RDNA 2.0 needs to be magic sauce.
It is a bit odd they don't seem to have anything on the horizon, we have good leaks about Ampere & the Super 2080 Ti, but all quiet on the AMD front. You would think they could rush out a 64 CU RDNA & compete with the 2080 Ti.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm discussing the ORIGINAL cancellation where we had a thread full of people stating that lockhart was cancelled 6 months before Tom Warren discover so. If everyone knew why didn't they say? I find that corny
Think it was only Matt and Zhuge that said it was cancelled long ago? I can't remember about anyone else not being caught by surprise during E3.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem with him, or any insider for that matter. I think he is a gentleman, always debates in good faith. I am simply of the opinion that if you have something you want to share, then be clear about it. If it is numbers, post them.......simple. That is a personal taste, and I have stated so.

If you are not in a position to do so because they could compromise your source, then shut the hell up until such a time when you are in position to share that information.

Maybe I have been in a position where I follow some of the best journalists when it comes to sports, or investigative journalism.

Why .
Getting hints about certain things better than reading a thread that has been wrong about almost every single fucking thing and telling people there wrong .
I can't wait for the thread to get split so we don't have this nonsense .

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Has to be frustrating for Sony fans not knowing anything while MS continues to lay their cards on the table. If Sony would just provide some info to their fans it would help alleviate so much angst folks keep feeling.
But most of the arguing in here has been about MS' numbers? Not even mentioning Sony?

Status
Not open for further replies.